Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,141 members, 7,953,515 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 05:48 PM

People Look Down On Farming. Why? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / People Look Down On Farming. Why? (995 Views)

Duck Farming: Why It Is A Good Alternative To Chicken. / How My Friend Lost All His Investments On Farming Watermelon (part 1) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

People Look Down On Farming. Why? by tonytizzle: 7:15pm On Jul 22, 2017
People look down on farming. Why?
Re: People Look Down On Farming. Why? by dejavumart3d: 7:16pm On Jul 22, 2017
U feel xo?
Re: People Look Down On Farming. Why? by Loyalblak007(f): 7:17pm On Jul 22, 2017
Some individuals feels it's a dirty job

whereas it's a goldmine
Re: People Look Down On Farming. Why? by stagger: 7:46pm On Jul 22, 2017
It is actually a hard job which only mechanization can make much easier. But with tractors going for as much as N12.5m and the hand-pushed tillers costing as much as N400,000, what is the way forward? Certain farm tasks have to be done by hand.
Re: People Look Down On Farming. Why? by Nobody: 9:49am On Jul 23, 2017
tonytizzle:

They don't know how to do profitable farming.

1 Like

Re: People Look Down On Farming. Why? by karlxavier(m): 10:28am On Jul 23, 2017
Please I have a question to ask, how best can 6plots of land in the city be utilized? Which agric do you suggest one can go into with this size of land?

1 Like

Re: People Look Down On Farming. Why? by Ufeolorun(m): 10:54am On Jul 23, 2017
karlxavier:
Please I have a question to ask, how best can 6plots of land in the city be utilized? Which agric do you suggest one can go into with this size of land?
It's not the size of the land that matters it's the size of the effort and other resource you are willing put in. It's not something you can dash in willy-nilly . Be prepared.
I have a plot and sometimes I get overwhelmed- I built a nice trellis for my edible pumpkins but their message has now become clear : despite my efforts, they want to lay on the Beds and grow more root nodes on their vines, take more than the portion I theoretically apportioned to them and that my fancy bamboo stakes are actually a wet blanket.

To the topic - it's not a fancy job if you are the fancy type but if you are motivated , the feeling you get from the sight of your plants doing very well in the field is so good
However, the fact that I have to work my phone like a financial instruments trader just to buy or get seeds and other supplies justify the bad view people hold about farming . The system isn't there rara. Too bad.

1 Like

Re: People Look Down On Farming. Why? by Nobody: 12:00pm On Jul 23, 2017
Many people don't realise that Farmers are well to do and proud people elsewhere. So here it is seen as an activity for broke or poor people unless it is large scale. Some are even ashamed of saying they farm as in it in not hip.

I have friends who farm and i decided to set up a website to discuss our experiences ( www.agricforumng.net) when I ask them to join me in publicising what we do, they are reluctant. undecided
Re: People Look Down On Farming. Why? by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jul 23, 2017
stagger:
It is actually a hard job which only mechanization can make much easier. But with tractors going for as much as N12.5m and the hand-pushed tillers costing as much as N400,000, what is the way forward? Certain farm tasks have to be done by hand.
Bro, I go like ask u something privately about haulage... if u don't mind
Re: People Look Down On Farming. Why? by Toscosamuel(m): 8:11pm On Jul 23, 2017
Farming is difficult in nature, bt if u rili want to b a commercial farmer u must think of the labour, ur farm size, ur soil and crop. Wen lokin at d labour that were the problem cum, how much can u put in for mechanization and ur labour force. If u have 6plot dats 1acre of land, den try vegetable farming. 08166021705
Re: People Look Down On Farming. Why? by Willie2015: 5:22pm On Jul 25, 2017
tonytizzle:

- Farming in Nigeria is still at its crude stage...just production with archaic tools...
- Processing of farm inputs in the value chain is almost zero....
- Middlemen/Agent problem is an hydra headed monster, they always cheat farmers...
- Lack of Govt subsidy to encourage farmers....
-the average farmer is at the last man in the chain..... he bear all the risks ...... with almost no value for all his efforts.
- Lastly, we only have few successful farmers on the commercial level.

If anyone can work around all the above problem... then that individual is on a goldmine.

(1) (Reply)

White Rat, Albino Rat Or Laboratory Rat For Sale / Association Of Organic Agriculture Practitioners Of Nigeria Organises Tot 2018. / Plastic Net Flooring For Broilers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.