Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,580 members, 7,812,898 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:39 PM

Desperate To Get A Job????? This Thread May Help You! Get In Here. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Desperate To Get A Job????? This Thread May Help You! Get In Here. (2287 Views)

COVID-19: Did You Lose Your Job? This Post Will Show You How To Land Another One / Do You Need A Job? This Will Help You / I Wil Commit Suicide If I Don't Have A Job This January (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Desperate To Get A Job????? This Thread May Help You! Get In Here. by careerpluzz: 3:37am On Jul 23, 2017
This thread is targeted at young graduates who have had a lot of difficulty in their quest to secure a job. Those who have faced massive rejection on account of whatever excuses be it poor grades, lack of ‘connection’, unsuitable courses and even failure at interviews. History, Sociology, Classics, language graduates, Adult Education, Human Anatomy, Biological Sciences and indeed all graduates who have undergone some subliminal brow beating during their search for a job here in Nigeria.

Those who have suffered psychological trauma that has translated into a loss of self-esteem are welcome here.

The intention is that a few people will try out different approaches that will take them closer to their desired objective or an available alternative. This could be through developing a hands-on skill in order to keep them prepared them for their next interview outing or preparing them for providing a service to the society and its constituents for a fee.

In the course of developing this thread I expect that serious posters will be attracted and together we can forge a way out for a few people to benefit from the thread by way of employment or self-development. I also expect that posters will post advert of available vacancies they come across that can be of help to followers of the thread.

My expertise is in Human Capital Development but with a particular bent on developing Sales Professionals so I just might be able to guide a few of you who choose to learn into acquiring selling skills which will give you the confidence to explore career opportunities in Sales and Marketing.
Re: Desperate To Get A Job????? This Thread May Help You! Get In Here. by Sapiosexuality(m): 6:46am On Jul 23, 2017
They've been threads like this before and I don't know if anything came out of it. Most people will only help when you say or they see you are dying.
Re: Desperate To Get A Job????? This Thread May Help You! Get In Here. by jefy(m): 8:02am On Jul 23, 2017
Well,my opinion actually,am not really in a position to advice, but me think, learning a trade/acquiring a skill should be every under graduate/graduate's first priority. On the long run it will bring about independence,fulfilmentand satisfaction. Education combined with a skill is a big plus..a skill in areas such as computer networking,pipeline welding,forklift operations,weighbridge operator,fashion design, make up arts, catering services,photography and event management etc all these and many more out there can and would put food on your table as well as make you an employer of labour and less dependence on the government and the constant search for jobs...My name is Jeff,a proud Nigerian photographer,a fashion preneur,a commercial cleaning magnet and a mass comm degree holder..
Re: Desperate To Get A Job????? This Thread May Help You! Get In Here. by careerpluzz: 11:02pm On Jul 23, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
They've been threads like this before and I don't know if anything came out of it. Most people will only help when you say or they see you are dying.

Your impression as expressed here is quite apt especially the truth as emphasised. The second part is rather fallacious. A lot people have been helped in numerous ways but since the help did not come in the form as predetermined by the beneficiary, it was then disregarded as help.

Finally, help whenever given is help all the same and I assure you an objective minded beneficiary of this help will rather have the help than decline it even at the point of dying.

Let us retool our perception to reflect positivity, I can tell you that most times help drops on our laps and we scorn it only to realise later that this was a great offer attired differently.
Re: Desperate To Get A Job????? This Thread May Help You! Get In Here. by careerpluzz: 11:13pm On Jul 23, 2017
jefy:
Well,my opinion actually,am not really in a position to advice, but me think, learning a trade/acquiring a skill should be every under graduate/graduate's first priority. On the long run it will bring about independence,fulfilmentand satisfaction. Education combined with a skill is a big plus..a skill in areas such as computer networking,pipeline welding,forklift operations,weighbridge operator,fashion design, make up arts, catering services,photography and event management etc all these and many more out there can and would put food on your table as well as make you an employer of labour and less dependence on the government and the constant search for jobs...My name is Jeff,a proud Nigerian photographer,a fashion preneur,a commercial cleaning magnet and a mass comm degree holder..

Honestly, this is the stuff I expect here.

How can I thank you enough the post above!

Your position is a direct reflection of the reality on ground. I would like the above post to be read and re-read as many times as possible. i am really proud of you Jeff. please stay on board and do make as many contributions as possible on this thread. We need to help each other. As we trudge along in the course of developing this thread, we will assess the individual abilities of Posters and without extenuation examine the where we all loose focus and latch on to self pity.

The certificate you have spent several years burning the midnight oil for under the most demanding circumstances has suddenly lost all essence and you are stripped naked in the actual life that comes post graduation. A lot of things come to light and you begin a trend of negative interpretation of things that happen in your life.

Having been mostly independent in school, you graduated into some measure of independence (at least financially) during NYSC and then rather than sustain the independence and metamorphose into an interdependence state you morph back into dependence. Very sad.
Re: Desperate To Get A Job????? This Thread May Help You! Get In Here. by careerpluzz: 11:31pm On Jul 23, 2017
I would like to state here that the best time to choose and plan your career path is while you are in school and studying whatever course you may be studying. Sadly this is not the case for the majority of us. We just live in our one track perspective and keep hoping and praying for the best.

The next best time to plan it is your N.Y.S.C. In my experience during fresh graduate recruitment exercises nothing is more inspiring than a graduate interviewee who is already doing something and does not show any signs of desperation. He/she may not be involved in the most financial rewarding activity but its activity nonetheless. Sincerely, there should be no gap in your career.
I am hereby inviting all serving youth corpers all over Nigeria to consider staying on this thread. They might just benefit a thing or two from the experience. I assure you that we should be able to have a most rewarding experience......... And its COMPLETELY FREE
Re: Desperate To Get A Job????? This Thread May Help You! Get In Here. by Sapiosexuality(m): 10:00am On Jul 24, 2017
careerpluzz:

Your impression as expressed here is quite apt especially the truth as emphasised. The second part is rather fallacious. A lot people have been helped in numerous ways but since the help did not come in the form as predetermined by the beneficiary, it was then disregarded as help.

Finally, help whenever given is help all the same and I assure you an objective minded beneficiary of this help will rather have the help than decline it even at the point of dying.

Let us retool our perception to reflect positivity, I can tell you that most times help drops on our laps and we scorn it only to realise later that this was a great offer attired differently.
Yeah, I agree that people get help here. That's why I used 'Most People'. It's easier to listen to someone here or outside once we see that he's dying. Humans are too distracted that only extreme situations or events bring back our humanity and empathy.
Re: Desperate To Get A Job????? This Thread May Help You! Get In Here. by fastowas: 10:38am On Jul 24, 2017
I am an undergraduate, how do I get started to know better from this thread?
Re: Desperate To Get A Job????? This Thread May Help You! Get In Here. by careerpluzz: 11:26pm On Jul 24, 2017
fastowas:
I am an undergraduate, how do I get started to know better from this thread?

I think just following the thread will suffice.
Re: Desperate To Get A Job????? This Thread May Help You! Get In Here. by fannybaby(f): 5:51am On Jul 25, 2017
Am also looking for a good job o kiss kiss
Re: Desperate To Get A Job????? This Thread May Help You! Get In Here. by jefy(m): 2:45pm On Jul 25, 2017
In addition to my earlier post, having the stereotyped mindset of after school I will get a better job is the most myopic in the Nigerian context. Things have changed, been with a first class, you are not guaranteed a plum job. I know of peeps who graduated with good grades but yet, the only job they could lay their hands on are teaching jobs, mind you , some of these private schools pay peanuts and never on time.
My advice exactly to all who cares to listen:
To parents : Education at the academic walls can not be overemphasised citing its several advantages but, but there should be a plan B_Z if possible. Sorry to say, our beloved Nation isn't civilised to appreciate the prowess of an educated society. That's why graduates are never appreciated. Consider the NYSC monthly alawee to funds spent on amnesty programs annually. Think of a company's demands in several years of work experience for a fresh inexperienced graduate. Think of the several layoffs of existing employed population and the hope for fresh graduates. I was opportune as a fresh graduate to attend an interview were 5 years experience was demanded as a criteria for employment. Anger engolfed in me as I demanded from the panel to know how experience is gotten without actual work . They said OK, if that be the case, they will set up a training institute for would be hospitality interns. Summary: job these days requires experience, requires luck because hundreds of applicants seek that same position you seek , requires a miracle, requires skills in relation to a career part, require a good degree/grade, requires connection. The bottom line, allow your kids acquire skills or learn a trade from secondary school or as early as possible.Benefit's: The would be adults will grow up to have a path, less dependency on you as well as the ever dying system . They would have their skills to fall back on should their certificates fail them. They would grow up to be employers of labour and an asset to the society.
Re: Desperate To Get A Job????? This Thread May Help You! Get In Here. by jefy(m): 3:00pm On Jul 25, 2017
Over time , I have learnt that looking for a job constantly with one's certificate blinds us to numerous profitable possibilities . It ties our feet and make us lazy, over dependency and makes one a liability. Instead of searching for that job for five years , why not pursue a skill you are passionate about, that is profitable for five years while you search for that dream job. You can as well search for someone around you or even outside that is doing well in his or her chosen trade and seek to learn while you strive to generate capital . Do not despise your days of little beginning . Just start . start with what ever you can raise. To be continued .

1 Like

Re: Desperate To Get A Job????? This Thread May Help You! Get In Here. by careerpluzz: 3:46pm On Jul 25, 2017
@Jefy,

I peeped at the thread during my break time and read your posts. I must say it is quite insightful and clinical in approach.

This is the kind of entries I am seeking for. I have quite a response to make as regards your post and I hope to be able to put up a treatise later today on my return from work.

The thrust of the thread is getting clearer and one way or the other we will get to Eldorado.

My prayer is that more and more young people the opportunities that lie innate in our current circumstances as dark and challenging as they may appear at a first glance.
Re: Desperate To Get A Job????? This Thread May Help You! Get In Here. by Sapiosexuality(m): 8:00pm On Jul 25, 2017
Good points, Jefy.
Re: Desperate To Get A Job????? This Thread May Help You! Get In Here. by careerpluzz: 9:09pm On Jul 25, 2017
I had to read the above posts many times over in the course of my daily activities. Something kept recurring between the lines. I actually expected an avalanche of posts to support and counter the above positions postulated or advocated by Jeff.

Several schools of thought exist as regards the suitability (or otherwise)of our current curriculum in the context of the demands of present day living in the space called Nigeria.

The tertiary level school curriculum as being implemented today dates back to the pre-independence colonial days when the effort was primarily geared at producing middle level manpower for the bludgeoning public service.

Fast forward to almost One Hundred years later, we are still training people on the same basis. We prepare our graduands to survive as employees only. Self confidence which appears to be a most important benefit is never considered.

For this reason we have graduates of tertiary institutions in Nigeria coming out unprepared to face the realities of survival. Sufice to state here that the our curriculum should be retooled to reflect the needs of present day Nigeria.

This concept is already captured albeit theoretically in our National rolling plan as crafted in the 1970s.

As for the implementation I leave you to your guesses.

Once again, a big thank you to Jefy for giving this the proper perspective. I dare-say the solution to our problems to a large extent is captured in his posts.
Re: Desperate To Get A Job????? This Thread May Help You! Get In Here. by careerpluzz: 9:35pm On Jul 25, 2017
At this point I suggest that we go into the core of the thread which is to help unemployed people find their feet.

A lively rewarding interaction is required here if we are to draw immense benefits from the experience of the posters.

How can we change our lot in life for the better?

How can we improve our 'luck'?

How can we get 'connections' to the kind of jobs we want?

How can we manifest the dream our parents conceived for us, transmitted to society and ourselves that is now expected to manifest

That is what this we hope this thread will address.

For the avoidance doubt, this is not going to be just a theoretical as practical experiencing in terms of action will be recommended.

Summarily, solutions must be found in the form of effective out of the box measures that will be adapted to suit our immediate purposes.

How can we escape from the doldrums of lack and dissatisfaction?
Re: Desperate To Get A Job????? This Thread May Help You! Get In Here. by careerpluzz: 9:49pm On Jul 25, 2017
My expertise as developed from my working experience is in Sales development. I have worked as a Salesman and a Sales trainer.

Instructively my HR experience reveals that companies are ALWAYS in need of proficient sales personnel. No matter the sales peak reached, if you can get an opportunity to demonstrate your sales expertise in tangible terms you will always be a well sought after candidate.

Your exploits in your current undertaking will precede and you will be head-hunted in ways you cannot even imagine.

Some examples may be necessary here.
Re: Desperate To Get A Job????? This Thread May Help You! Get In Here. by careerpluzz: 10:11pm On Jul 25, 2017
The first example will be something most of the followers can connect with;

I had the honour of sitting on an interview panel where a certain young man was interviewed for a sales position.

He didn't apply for the job but he was invited nonetheless. His story goes thus;

On graduation from the university he spent more than two years teaching in private school where the very poor salaries were only paid when the school was in session.

No salaries during holidays and other extended breaks. After the fuel subsidy riots of January 2012, he resumed but things were very difficult as the school management took a stance that no salaries would be paid for the month of January.

he just had to think of a way to survive the coming storm, so he went in search of a second job but couldn't find but stumbled on an opportunity where he could take a new fruit drink from a distributor and sell and then return the proceeds to the distributor after deducting his mark-up. he did this so well that after the second month he could comfortably resign from his teaching job and concentrate on commissioned based sales of an attractively packed and appropriately packed fruit juice targeted at children.
Re: Desperate To Get A Job????? This Thread May Help You! Get In Here. by Sapiosexuality(m): 10:15pm On Jul 25, 2017
Nice job, bro. I'm following. I wish a lot of working class persons will comment too.
Re: Desperate To Get A Job????? This Thread May Help You! Get In Here. by careerpluzz: 10:21pm On Jul 25, 2017
His lead for a second job was one of the buyers of the juice. When a new company came and was introducing their product to the potential distributor, he recommended him to the company ad he was hired.

The company we were interviewing him for this time was an FMCG company and he was recommended by the Indian Sales Director who had been tipped in the market that he was the man to catch.

He grew in less than three years to become a Sales manager in one of the largest Indian owned conglomerates with a car and driver to boot.
Please note that this guy studied nothing related to Sales, marketing or Business management.
Re: Desperate To Get A Job????? This Thread May Help You! Get In Here. by careerpluzz: 10:37pm On Jul 25, 2017
The second example I have here is a man I have recruited twice. As a matter of fact we had to pay him 'sign on fees' twice. This is a Sales maverick with his sales experience in almost all sectors of the economy, tangible and intangible sales.

I first partook in the head-hunting of this guy for a once leading brewery plant that only brews malt based drinks. Its moribund now. Can you guess the company?

Then we had to track him down to the U.K where he was studying for a Masters degree in Sales Psychology. We had to pay a heavy 'sign on fee' to commit this guy to complete his programme and take up an appointment with our client who was and still is a major player in the Brewery business with turnover in Billions annually.

Today he sits as a Senior Sales Manager in one of the biggest conglomerates in this country.
Re: Desperate To Get A Job????? This Thread May Help You! Get In Here. by careerpluzz: 10:39pm On Jul 25, 2017
Honestly, where there is a 'consistent' will, a way will be created through, above, beside or underneath the apparent obstacles.

I think I will have to stop here tonight.

Wishing you a most productive day tomorrow, be it just in your thoughts.
Re: Desperate To Get A Job????? This Thread May Help You! Get In Here. by careerpluzz: 11:14pm On Jul 25, 2017
Addendum;

This thread must not be misconstrued as a platform for showcasing personal aggrandisement. I do not wish to be the teacher here. I will only share my experiences while expecting others to participate fully. Where there are not enough serious contributions the thread will naturally wither and die off. I hope one or two followers would have benefited immensely before this happens.
Re: Desperate To Get A Job????? This Thread May Help You! Get In Here. by Smartjob1(f): 1:43am On Jul 26, 2017
Good thread Op. Let me help. There is an awesome website that connects jobseekers to employers easily. Check this out...

For Job seekers

bejite.com is a one stop job and career site that helps job seeker find their dream job and build their career. It affords them the opportunity of connecting to their favourite employers, recruiters or the company they want to work for. They get mentored by these employers while asking those specific questions that are important to their career growth. On bejite.com, you can post, comment, share moments with your connections, and like your connections posts.
bejite.com saves jobseekers the cost, headache and heartache associated with job applications. There is no need applying for a job anymore. Simply “Update CV” and an employer who wants your particular type of skill set, personality, etc might call you soon. It is that simple.

5 steps to getting your dream job on bejite.com

Step 1: Open www.bejite.com and fill in your registration details. Click on “sign up now.”
Step 2: Fill in your addresses and click on “Save and continue.”
Step 3: Add your username and connect to as many people as you desire. Click on “Save and continue.” Welcome to your home page.
Step 4: Locate “Update CV” on your home page bar and update your CV to suit what you want. Ensure you fill in all the details of what you have achieved so far. This enables employers to easily search you out.
Step 5: Be very active on bejite.com. Make intelligent and reasonable contributions and comments, posts, etc. Chat reasonably with your connections and you stand a big chance of getting that dream job immediately. Take the opportunity in marketing your skills and brand.

Employers

bejite.com is the employers, recruiters’ best choice in recruitment, training, marketing and networking, branding and other HR related issues. Whether you are an individual recruiter who wants a salesgirl or house-help or a corporate recruiter who specialises in the recruitment of professionals, www.bejite.com gives the recruiters the opportunity to recruit exactly what you want when you want it and how you want it. With bejite.com, there is no need advertising for jobs as there may be someone who has already filled in his CV to meet your desires. It saves you time, energy, money and other resources.
Bejite.com uses advanced search engine that indexes the jobseekers based on tens of keywords. For instance, if you are looking for a female marketer with 2 years’ experience, who has worked in the ICT sector and wants a N50k salary, bejite.com helps you to search out these qualities with a click of some buttons within 3mins. No need having to sort through piles of CVs as the search returns the exact details you put in.

Re: Desperate To Get A Job????? This Thread May Help You! Get In Here. by Oktane: 4:07pm On Jul 27, 2017
careerpluzz:
Honestly, where there is a 'consistent' will, a way will be created through, above, beside or underneath the apparent obstacles.

I think I will have to stop here tonight.

Wishing you a most productive day tomorrow, be it just in your thoughts.

Very interesting write-up OP and other posters. I daresay this is quite instructive but the import and guidance that this education provides will be lost on many Nairalanders who are a direct reflection of our general character; a hurried, half baked, ill prepared youth who have no plans whatsoever and can only drift along as the winds of reality dictates.

A confirmation of the above can be seen in terms of the number of people viewing this thread and the responses you will get herein. Just put a thread for a vacancy now and see the followership it will attract immediately.
Re: Desperate To Get A Job????? This Thread May Help You! Get In Here. by Allstrasse: 8:34am On Jul 28, 2017
Oktane:

Very interesting write-up OP and other posters. I daresay this is quite instructive but the import and guidance that this education provides will be lost on many Nairalanders who are a direct reflection of our general character; a hurried, half baked, ill prepared youth who have no plans whatsoever and can only drift along as the winds of reality dictates.

A confirmation of the above can be seen in terms of the number of people viewing this thread and the responses you will get herein. Just put a thread for a vacancy now and see the followership it will attract immediately.

Just my very thoughts echoed here. Exhilarating!

(1) (Reply)

Massive Recruitment October 2017 / Airtel Nigeria Recruitment For Graduate Retail Executives / Nexit Loan Disbursement To Start Soon, Sadiya On Nta Yesterday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.