Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,818 members, 7,810,138 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:32 PM

Do Spirits Of People Live After They Die? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do Spirits Of People Live After They Die? (4110 Views)

Alert: Spirits Of Sodom & Gomorrah Have Been Poured Out. Rapture Is Imminent. / Conquering Marine Spirits. / Seven Spirits Of God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Spirits Of People Live After They Die? by Nobody: 9:03am On Feb 07, 2010
Eccl:
3:19 For what happens to the children of man and what happens to the beasts is the same; as one dies, so dies the other. They all have the same breath, and man has no advantage over the beasts, for all is vanity.
3:20 All go to one place. All are from the dust, and to dust all return.
3:21 Who knows whether the spirit of man goes upward and the spirit of the beast goes down into the earth?

Ecc 12:7 and the dust returns to the earth as it was, and the spirit returns to God who gave it.

according to the above verses is it still right to say spirits of dead people roam around the earth? that spirits of dead people can appear to people?
Re: Do Spirits Of People Live After They Die? by Nobody: 9:15am On Feb 07, 2010
Psalm 31:5 "Into your hands I commit my spirit; redeem me, O LORD, the God of truth."

Luke 23:46 "Jesus called out with a loud voice, "Father, Into your hands I commit my spirit." When he had said this, he breathed his last."

1 Like

Re: Do Spirits Of People Live After They Die? by Joagbaje(m): 1:53pm On Feb 07, 2010
Spirits dont die. Either angels,demons,or human spirit. they are immortal.
Re: Do Spirits Of People Live After They Die? by deluxecad(m): 7:55pm On Feb 07, 2010
With reference to Eccl. 3:19, does that not invalidate this highly touted concept of hell and heaven? Why do all these controversies abound? What does one then believe?
Re: Do Spirits Of People Live After They Die? by Nobody: 7:59pm On Feb 07, 2010
deluxecad:

With reference to Eccl. 3:19, does that not invalidate this highly touted concept of hell and heaven? Why do all these controversies abound? What does one then believe?

thats what i am trying to point out. the idea that a spirit lives after the soul dies is nonsense. Why do people still believe that spirits of humans are burning in hell right now?

1 Like

Re: Do Spirits Of People Live After They Die? by Joagbaje(m): 7:30am On Feb 08, 2010
babaearly:

thats what i am trying to point out. the idea that a spirit lives after the soul dies is nonsense. Why do people still believe that spirits of humans are burning in hell right now?
I dont get your point here, are you saying that after death there is no more life?. The bible teaches when a man dies he goes to hell

Luke 16:23
And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
Re: Do Spirits Of People Live After They Die? by stillgrds(m): 8:28am On Feb 12, 2010
Hello,

The answers to all you doubts can be found in the following link

http://www.watchtower.org/e/bh/article_06.htm
Re: Do Spirits Of People Live After They Die? by Nobody: 9:05pm On Feb 15, 2010
can someone with a real knowledge of scripture explain the events of 1 Samuel 28? I'm curious about that, because i know some cultures still have such traditions till this day.

No juju or suchlike advocates plz- we all know their own take on the matter.

Explanations must be godly and based only on the bible.
Re: Do Spirits Of People Live After They Die? by Recardo(m): 10:03pm On Feb 15, 2010
Joagbaje:

I dont get your point here, are you saying that after death there is no more life?. The bible teaches when a man dies he goes to hell

And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

Does that agree with Ecc 12:7 and the dust returns to the earth as it was, and the spirit returns to God who gave it.
?
Re: Do Spirits Of People Live After They Die? by nelice: 11:40am On Feb 17, 2010
There is the existence of the trinity of body, spirit and soul [Heb 4:12]. After death, body goes back to earth, spirit goes back to God;if anything should live after death then its the soul not the spirit. Body+Spirit=Soul. Only the word of God can divide it.

1 Like

Re: Do Spirits Of People Live After They Die? by Princessfidelis(f): 6:22pm On Dec 08, 2013
deluxecad: With reference to Eccl. 3:19, does that not invalidate this highly touted concept of hell and heaven? Why do all these controversies abound? What does one then believe?

what he is talking about is what happens to the flesh. The physical death.
Re: Do Spirits Of People Live After They Die? by Princessfidelis(f): 6:35pm On Dec 08, 2013
So many people are going to find out the hard truth that there is life after death. And so many good people are going to hell, being good alone can not take anyone to heaven. Only Jesus can save. Accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior and obey the word of God them will you make heaven. Please dont let you pastor tell you what is right or wrong, only the bible should you listen to because its the instruction book of God. One more thing the bible is not a text book you can just read, you need the spirit of God to teach you so you understand what it says. I pray God open your spiritual eyes and understanding in Jesus name. Amen

1 Like

Re: Do Spirits Of People Live After They Die? by PastorOluT(m): 7:22pm On Dec 08, 2013
I wonder how one would just read a place from the scripture n make a doctrine out of it? @op what does verse 21 says? he wonders not knowing! And chapter 12:7 says it all that the spirit returns to God, meaning the spirit lives on. Or what do u think happens when the spirit returns to God?

Humans are created spirit soul n body, n not body+spirit=soul, I believe u have Genesis 2:7 in ur bible?

The spirit is who we really are n what we use in contacting the spiritual realm, while the soul is what we use in contacting the intellectual realm, and the body is just a vessel or container which is what we use in contacting the physical realm.
Re: Do Spirits Of People Live After They Die? by PastorOluT(m): 7:40pm On Dec 08, 2013
can someone with a real knowledge of scripture explain the events of 1 Samuel 28? I'm curious about that, because i know some cultures still have such traditions till this day.

No juju or suchlike advocates plz- we all know their own take on the matter.

Explanations must be godly and based only on the bible.

Personally I dont think the person conjured up was Samuel which is also according to scriptures, 'cos once the spirit returns to God the body is left alone, so that's was surely a demon appearing to be Samuel. Demons take hold of the body of the dead n manipulate it n use it for their demonic activities. Remember the conflict of devil with the angel over the body of Moses (Jude 9)? They use these bodies for other purposes 'cos the real person is no longer, this is the reason God hates psychic, witches n the likes 'cos of the relationship with demonic activities.

All those people that visit psychic n the likes hoping to talk to their dead love ones are only being deceive by demons. Now one may wonder how they get to know about the dead people? Its very easy 'cos these are familiar spirits n have been with them for long so they know all about them, so its easy to reveal to the enquirer whatever it is they desire to know. This is purely demonic which is why God hate it so much n warned the Israelites severally not to have dealings with these people, and also us in the new testament not to have dealings with demons!
Re: Do Spirits Of People Live After They Die? by oroagba: 12:02pm On Dec 14, 2013
So, how are we to understand/interpret Matt 17:1- 4?
Re: Do Spirits Of People Live After They Die? by CANTICLES: 12:31pm On Sep 03, 2014
D First tin an intelligent person should ask is " what is d spirit in man and animals ?" ... Did i say animals ? ! Yes animals and man av same spirit / hebrew rua'ch/(read ecc 3:19) ! Dats a fact ur pastor may av neva tell u ! So here we go,What is spirit ? " and God proceed to form d man out of dust, and breath into him d breath of life / hebrew rua'ch/ and the man bcam a livin soul " Gen 2:7 ! D Breath Of Life In Our Nostrils Is D Spirit , Its Like An Eletric Force Dat Powers A Machinery (Human Complex Body) !Yes .... At Genesis 7:15,22 We Ar Told Dat " All Livin Creatures Dat Ar Moving On D Earth ... Evrytin On Dry Land That Had The *Breath Of Life* In Its NOSTRILS Died" ! Dat Includes Animals .... Another Question Is :Do Spirits Of Dead Men Live In Heaven ? Scripture Answers Directly " The Dead Do Not Praise The LORD;nor anyone who go down into d silence of death" psalm 115:17 ! So what did Jesus Meant In Luke 23:46 ?
Re: Do Spirits Of People Live After They Die? by CANTICLES: 12:41pm On Sep 03, 2014
In luke 23:46 we read " And Jesus called out with a loud voice and said: " Father, into your hands i entrust my spirit" . After he said this, he expired " .... Did jesus meant dat a spirit part of him is nw on its way to heaven as many religions teach ? Not @ all, Notice Dat Jesus Didnt Rise From The Grave Until D Third Day !!! But what he meant is dat d his hope of comin to life once again rests with his father , Only His Father Can Restore Back To Him D Breath Or Force Of Life ( Spirit ) ! Jesus knew dat death is d end , and its dangerous if his father left him in d grave , so he make petitions with tears and cries to d " one who was able to save him out of death" heb 5:7 ! On d third day, he rise ... Its clear dat spirit from d latin word spiritus meaning " breath" is just d force dat power us to be living! But Somone May Ask, What Abt D Soul Or Is It D Same As Soul?
Re: Do Spirits Of People Live After They Die? by CANTICLES: 1:02pm On Sep 03, 2014
Forget watever uv been told about d soul ... Lets examine d concept accordin to d scriptures ! Question 1: what is a soul? To ansa dis , lets go bak to d making of man in genesis 2:7 , we read " And LORD God went on to Form D Man Out Of Dust from d ground and to blow into his nostrils d breath of life, and THE MAN *BECAME* A LIVING SOUL" ( notice dat this does not say that man was given a soul but that he BECAME a soul, a livin person )( the part of the hebrew word renderes " soul" is ne'phesh. KJV, AS and Dy Agree Wit Dat Rendering. RS, JB, NAB read " being" . NE says " creature" . Kx reads " person" ) .... D christian greek scriptures agree with dis in 1 cor 15:45 wich says " It Is Written: " The First Man Adam BECAME a livin soul"" .... Are animals called souls? In gen 1:20,21,24,25 " God Went On To Say: ' Let The Waters Swarm Forth A Swarm Of Living Souls ( Hebrew ne'phesh) ... Let the earth put forth livin souls ( hebrew ne'phesh) accordin to their kinds'" ... We nw see dat a whole creature is a soul !
Re: Do Spirits Of People Live After They Die? by CANTICLES: 1:11pm On Sep 03, 2014
Question 2: Can The Human Soul Die ? ..... At Dis Point, Lets look at d scriptures and see what God av to say : " Look! All the souls - to me they belong. As the soul of the father so likewise the soul of the son - to me they belong. The soul dat is sinning - it itself will die" gbam! It says d soul is mortal, meaning it dies ... Oh! Dats Different From What Dat Gentleman U Regard As Pastor Tells U, Anyway U Av Choice Bliv God Dat Soul Dies Or Accept D Devils Lie Of Soul Is Immortal " You Shall Not Die" Gen 3:4 Wich Satan Utter To Eve D Other Day! The Choice Is Yours GOD OR SATAN ?
Re: Do Spirits Of People Live After They Die? by Nobody: 2:22pm On Sep 03, 2014
Joagbaje: Spirits dont die. Either angels,demons,or human spirit. they are immortal.

Dont you think that if we say that the spirit of man doesnt die, then that of animals do not die too? Eccl 3:20.
Re: Do Spirits Of People Live After They Die? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Sep 03, 2014
The spirit going back to God who gave it, means that; that persons hope of living again now rests woth God.

God alone has the power to activate the lifeless body again thru the life-force, spirit.

It does not mean that a conscious entity starts travelling to God.

1 Like

Re: Do Spirits Of People Live After They Die? by jansie(f): 10:00pm On Sep 03, 2014
CANTICLES: In luke 23:46 we read " And Jesus called out with a loud voice and said: " Father, into your hands i entrust my spirit" . After he said this, he expired " .... Did jesus meant dat a spirit part of him is nw on its way to heaven as many religions teach ? Not @ all, Notice Dat Jesus Didnt Rise From The Grave Until D Third Day !!! But what he meant is dat d his hope of comin to life once again rests with his father , Only His Father Can Restore Back To Him D Breath Or Force Of Life ( Spirit ) ! Jesus knew dat death is d end , and its dangerous if his father left him in d grave , so he make petitions with tears and cries to d " one who was able to save him out of death" heb 5:7 ! On d third day, he rise ... Its clear dat spirit from d latin word spiritus meaning " breath" is just d force dat power us to be living! But Somone May Ask, What Abt D Soul Or Is It D Same As Soul?
Your analogy is quite laughable and very misleading
Re: Do Spirits Of People Live After They Die? by jansie(f): 10:06pm On Sep 03, 2014
JMAN05:

Dont you think that if we say that the spirit of man doesnt die, then that of animals do not die too? Eccl 3:20.
You do now understand the concept of spirit, soul and body, do you? animals are not spirit beings
Re: Do Spirits Of People Live After They Die? by Nobody: 3:44am On Sep 08, 2014
jansie:
You do now understand the concept of spirit, soul and body, do you? animals are not spirit beings

How did that answer my question.

secondly, are u a spirit being?
Re: Do Spirits Of People Live After They Die? by truthislight: 7:10am On Sep 08, 2014
Joagbaje:

You got this wrong.
The same Jesus that gave this parable in Luke also made use of this fire and torment in Revelation to show what he ment.

It is not a literal fire and torment. No ?
Re: Do Spirits Of People Live After They Die? by loveroftruth: 8:12am On Sep 08, 2014
Princessfidelis: So many people are going to find out the hard truth that there is life after death. And so many good people are going to hell, being good alone can not take anyone to heaven. Only Jesus can save. Accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior and obey the word of God them will you make heaven. Please dont let you pastor tell you what is right or wrong, only the bible should you listen to because its the instruction book of God. One more thing the bible is not a text book you can just read, you need the spirit of God to teach you so you understand what it says. I pray God open your spiritual eyes and understanding in Jesus name. Amen

You are discouraging people here from reading the bible, you are the one that God has opened her eyes to understand the bible, meanwhile, others are wrong and will not be right unless they come to have the same believes like you. Ok, I see.

Pls, you that your eyes have been opened, can you use the bible to answer the topic in the OP ?

Not just you talking and not showing the usefulness of your "opened eyes".
Re: Do Spirits Of People Live After They Die? by Olusanya333(m): 8:54am On Sep 08, 2014
Praise God.Amen.
Father as we go into ur word opens the heart of the readers,in jesus name we pray.Amen

Saints of God have seen your comment and Ideas. When satan wants to say "thou shall not die" dats when u see smbody dats dead walking around. A man consist of a Body,Soul and Spirit.Lets go through a brief study.
-What happens to the body after death? Gen 3:19 gives answer. The body was formed from dust and to dust it return.Amen

-what happens to the Soul? A soul that sins will die. From this we see that its possible for a soul to Lives forever provided He is in Christ.

-What happens to Spirit? The Spirit returns to God for Judgement.The Spirit does all you do and either make ur soul sin or holy.However the Spirit of the saints don't face judgment says the Lord himself.

-Where do the Soul recide after death? The soul of a man goes to two destinations after death. Hell and Heaven. The thief on the cross to him Jesus said today u will meet me in paradise. The man died but immediately went to heaven to rest till his soul is united with his spirit nd dat will be done when Christ comes back again.Amen.

-Where does the Spirit goes? It returns to God immediately for Judgement.

-What then do we see in 1 samuel 28:11-14? To answer this we must see to some things.Amen.

-Is it samuel that really comes up?NO!,how do i know this? The Scripture affirms the dead knows nothing(d scripture cannot be broken) but he was saying some things.And lo and behold he says things to come but they are evil.

-Who then appears as to Saul? Its a demon.U wonder?Yes its a demon.If satan its able to put on the body of angels what about a mere men.When somebody dies satan impersonate the body for a reason which he in many cases has succeeded in doing.

-Whats the reason he does this? To decieve its the reason. Rev 16:14 expose Satan on this corrupt wisdom.

-How does it happens?He command one of his demon take up d body of dis dead man and look exactly like him. If u r not convinced he will say wear the last cloth d dead man wore.If not convince again he will gv d demon power to speak exactly like d dead man.

-What den do u do? When u see such a case let d supposed dead man sit down(though d demon will want to run away,do nt allow him).Then go to the burial ground u will see the dead person there.

Saints of God,we are in the times of the end not the end time again be sober.Amen
Re: Do Spirits Of People Live After They Die? by truthislight: 9:23am On Sep 08, 2014
PastorOluT: I wonder how one would just read a place from the scripture n make a doctrine out of it? @op what does verse 21 says? he wonders not knowing! And chapter 12:7 says it all that the spirit returns to God, meaning the spirit lives on./]

According to you, the spirit, pneuma, breath that God put into Adam/man "continues to live" right ?

So, from your belief, it then means that befor God created Adam, befor God put the "breath of life" into Adam's nostrial, he was alive somewhere, right ?

Adam did not start living first in the garden as mentioned in Genesis ?
Your answer please.

PastorOluT:
Or what do u think happens when the spirit returns to God ?

i think, learning from Adam, one starts living when the breath/spirit comes into a person and he stops living when the breath goes out.

The above is what the bible says. See below:

"His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish." (Psalm 146:4).

"In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return." (Genesis 3:19).

PastorOluT:
Humans are created spirit soul n body, n not body+spirit=soul, I believe u have Genesis 2:7 in ur bible?

why are you being deceptive ?
Does Genesis 2:7 say what you wrote above there ^ ?

Read below:

"And the LORD God formed man of the [color=red] dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul." (Genesis 2:7).
From the above ^, it is breath + dust = soul.

Now, Mr man, whatever that propels you, sends you to lie, your effort to twist the scripture above is very fraudulent, i encourage you to desist from such, some of us have Zero tolorance for lies.

PastorOluT:
The spirit is who we really are n what we use in contacting the spiritual realm,

We are motals.
we only have the spirit of God keeping us alive.

I dont know where you got the statement "we are spirit", if we are spirits, what then are the Angels ? Smh.

PastorOluT:
while the soul is what we use in contacting the intellectual realm,

that is not what the Bible says, you have just stated what pegans and all ancient philosophy say about ancestor worship, but that is not what Yahweh taught the Jews, i dont know what it is you follow, the God of the Jews - christian or it is anciant traditional religion.

If we are humble people, we will limit ourself to what the bible says. Pls, state what the bible says and not what philosophy has taught you.

PastorOluT:
and the body is just a vessel or container which is what we use in contacting the physical realm.

Error!

The bible say we are Souls = physical person.

animals are souls, fishes are souls, birds are souls.

All souls dies.

Adam was taken from the dust and he returned to the dust when he died.

Befor Adam was taken from the Dust, where was he ? No where!

So, when he returned to the dust, he goes no where.

The spirit (pneuma) that goes back belongs to God, it is not a person. It is what that keeps man, fish, birds alive.

Lets limit ourselves to what the bible says.

Peace.

1 Like

Re: Do Spirits Of People Live After They Die? by Yooguyz: 9:42am On Sep 08, 2014
Following.....

(1) (Reply)

Is Annointing Oil Biblical? / How To Preach The Gospel Starting From Crash. / Could The Universe Exist Without A Creator?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.