Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,423 members, 7,822,961 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:24 PM

The Dark Side Of Parenthood - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Dark Side Of Parenthood (918 Views)

How About We Tear Down The Statue Of Planned Parenthood's Racist Founder? / Christian Terrorist Rams Truck Into Planned Parenthood Clinic!!! / The Dark Secrets Behind The Pope’s Audience Hall (it’s A Giant Reptilian) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Dark Side Of Parenthood by DeepSight(m): 10:32pm On Jul 24, 2017
Ordinarily the instinct to reproduce, well known as a trait of all or most living things in our world is or ought to be something to be taken without a second thought in the scheme of nature. However I would crave your indulgence, in light of the advanced capacity of humans beyond other animals - to think beyond instinct and to project into the future in a more conscious way - to ask a few questions about our instincts to reproduce and thus become parents especially in light of the nature of the world that we live in. I thus apologize in advance as I do by no means intend to diminish thje honored institution of valued parenthood, I only intend to draw attention to some of its apparently unsavory accompaniments.

As man an woman, the desire to self replicate begins to burn within the generality of us after a certain maturity of years upon the earth, and for many people, this desire is an all consuming passion - beyond which they can not contemplate any meaningful existence and in the absence of which life becomes bitter and meaningless. For the many others who do indeed have children, their children become absolutely the beginning and the end of all meaning and purpose in their lives and all their earthly exertions are directed towards the well being, success and happiness of those children.

It is my observation that the matter of self replication appears to breed such a degree of desperation in human beings that may well be said to be sometimes unhealthy, sometimes dangerous, sometimes selfish, and sometimes may well extend to the morbidly desperate and outright sociopathically evil. Here are my reasons:

Issue Number One: What is your reason for wanting to have a child?

Many people do not think deeply about this question at all - you might as well ask them what is their reason for eating food or breathing air, for so closely is the urge to replicate woven into our DNA that it oft does not appear a question that should arise, in the minds of many. This is the same way many do not contemplate their reasons for wanting to be married, but I digress.

When having a child, you are engaging in a sacred process which triggers of the entrance of a living human soul into this world. That is by itself a deep and weighty thing to contemplate. From my mediocre stand point one of the first questions that leaps out at me, is - "having consideration to what I know about the nature of this world in which I live, is it a world in which I would wish to bring any other soul into?". For me, at a personal level, the very straight answer is a very firm and adamant no: and this is because I shudder at the incomprehensible horrors of existence on this plane, and it is a miracle to me that any maintain their sanity in such a world as this: I doubt that any do really - but believe that most maintain an outward pretense of same. However that is just me: the question should go out to every intending parent, and should more thoroughly be reprhased as this:

Do you think it is fair to bring any soul into this world as you know it? Assuming that you think that that is okay, what are your particular reasons for wanting to do so: do those reasons concern that unknown soul so much as they are about your own happiness and fulfillment at having the experience of having had a child?

In short: is it all about the child or all about you?

This question is important because many people do not feel like a real man or a real woman if they have been unable to have children. This poses the question if we do not desperately seek children more to soothe our egos than for anything else at all.

Issue Number Two: Is there anything you would not do for your child?

For most people, there is absolutely nothing they world not do, and no length they would not go to, to feed, help and protect their children. This is only the very instinct of nature - although in human beings this parental desperation often reaches much further than the child's feeding or education. It often reaches as far as securing every possible material, social. financial and political advantage possible for the child. In this, it is a battle for the well being and triumph of a gene pool and the question of merit does not arise: therefore it is often seen that the parent will go to radical lengths - even lengths that may be deemed unfair to other people - to ensure the protection, endurance and success of their clan - their gene pool: their children.

All of this is fair game in nature except that as pointed out, the parental desperation involved can be extreme. Nothing is as valuable to a parent as its child, and we shall return to this point shortly. For this same reason extreme parental desperation aside from often placing unnecessary pressures on the children themselves can lead to much negativity.

Many friends of mine who are parents have often told me in a very dark and serious tone that they would murder anyone who tried to harm their child. Once again, this is fair game in nature. However in the world in which we live - many do the same or equally terrible things on account of this parental desperation.

Question: Would you murder on account of your child? To what extent would you go? Whom would you not shunt aside to advance your child's interests? If you had to kick down the chances of another child in any significant matter in order to assist your child, would you do so or not? If you had to tell lies for you child, would you do so or not? If you had to cheat others for the prosperity of your child, would you do so or not? If you had to bear false witness to save your child from a criminal sentence, would you do so or not?

Issue Number Three: Parental Control: Security and Reward

For a great many people also - particularly in our society, having children is an investment which provides security for the future and reward in old age. This in itself is a mercenary reason to have children but it is a real and very prevalent one. That age old question arises: "Who will look after me in my old age?"

Aside from this, one must point out that from time immemorial, having children was also an economic necessity: a family or clan needed more and more surviving young hands to pull in the hay and till the ground, and to ensure food security for all. It was therefore the case that chances of survival were always better in larger numbers.

Question: Is this one of the reasons you wish to have children and is it one of the expectations you have from your children?

Issue Number Four: The Unbearable Bond.

The bond between a parent and its child can reach unbearably deep. I often say to people that a Child is its Parent's immortality on this plane.

This can mean that both the parent and the child stand in that threshold of sanity and insanity where either can do almost anything no matter how desperate or far reaching for the sake of the other. At all events, that precious bond must suffer pain at death: and in some unpleasant instances where nature is turned on its head, it is the parent that has to watch its child die first. This sort of experience has made many people never the same again. However this is one fact of life that all have to deal with.

These are a few thoughts regarding which I would like to hear the thoughts of others - do you contemplate these things regarding parenthood?
What else do you contemplate?

2 Likes

Re: The Dark Side Of Parenthood by truthislight: 11:54pm On Jul 24, 2017
DeepSight:
Ordinarily the instinct to reproduce, well known as a trait of all or most living things in our world is or ought to be something to be taken without a second thought in the scheme of nature. However I would crave your indulgence, in light of the advanced capacity of humans beyond other animals - to think beyond instinct and to project into the future in a more conscious way - to ask a few questions about our instincts to reproduce and thus become parents especially in light of the nature of the world that we live in. I thus apologize in advance as I do by no means intend to diminish thje honored institution of valued parenthood, I only intend to draw attention to some of its apparently unsavory accompaniments.

As man an woman, the desire to self replicate begins to burn within the generality of us after a certain maturity of years upon the earth, and for many people, this desire is an all consuming passion - beyond which they can not contemplate any meaningful existence and in the absence of which life becomes bitter and meaningless. For the many others who do indeed have children, their children become absolutely the beginning and the end of all meaning and purpose in their lives and all their earthly exertions are directed towards the well being, success and happiness of those children.

It is my observation that the matter of self replication appears to breed such a degree of desperation in human beings that may well be said to be sometimes unhealthy, sometimes dangerous, sometimes selfish, and sometimes may well extend to the morbidly desperate and outright sociopathically evil. Here are my reasons:

Issue Number One: What is your reason for wanting to have a child?

Many people do not think deeply about this question at all - you might as well ask them what is their reason for eating food or breathing air, for so closely is the urge to replicate woven into our DNA that it oft does not appear a question that should arise, in the minds of many. This is the same way many do not contemplate their reasons for wanting to be married, but I digress.

When having a child, you are engaging in a sacred process which triggers of the entrance of a living human soul into this world. That is by itself a deep and weighty thing to contemplate. From my mediocre stand point one of the first questions that leaps out at me, is - "having consideration to what I know about the nature of this world in which I live, is it a world in which I would wish to bring any other soul into?". For me, at a personal level, the very straight answer is a very firm and adamant no: and this is because I shudder at the incomprehensible horrors of existence on this plane, and it is a miracle to me that any maintain their sanity in such a world as this: I doubt that any do really - but believe that most maintain an outward pretense of same. However that is just me: the question should go out to every intending parent, and should more thoroughly be reprhased as this:

Do you think it is fair to bring any soul into this world as you know it? Assuming that you think that that is okay, what are your particular reasons for wanting to do so: do those reasons concern that unknown soul so much as they are about your own happiness and fulfillment at having the experience of having had a child?

In short: is it all about the child or all about you?

This question is important because many people do not feel like a real man or a real woman if they have been unable to have children. This poses the question if we do not desperately seek children more to soothe our egos than for anything else at all.

Issue Number Two: Is there anything you would not do for your child?

For most people, there is absolutely nothing they world not do, and no length they would not go to, to feed, help and protect their children. This is only the very instinct of nature - although in human beings this parental desperation often reaches much further than the child's feeding or education. It often reaches as far as securing every possible material, social. financial and political advantage possible for the child. In this, it is a battle for the well being and triumph of a gene pool and the question of merit does not arise: therefore it is often seen that the parent will go to radical lengths - even lengths that may be deemed unfair to other people - to ensure the protection, endurance and success of their clan - their gene pool: their children.

All of this is fair game in nature except that as pointed out, the parental desperation involved can be extreme. Nothing is as valuable to a parent as its child, and we shall return to this point shortly. For this same reason extreme parental desperation aside from often placing unnecessary pressures on the children themselves can lead to much negativity.

Many friends of mine who are parents have often told me in a very dark and serious tone that they would murder anyone who tried to harm their child. Once again, this is fair game in nature. However in the world in which we live - many do the same or equally terrible things on account of this parental desperation.

Question: Would you murder on account of your child? To what extent would you go? Whom would you not shunt aside to advance your child's interests? If you had to kick down the chances of another child in any significant matter in order to assist your child, would you do so or not? If you had to tell lies for you child, would you do so or not? If you had to cheat others for the prosperity of your child, would you do so or not? If you had to bear false witness to save your child from a criminal sentence, would you do so or not?

Issue Number Three: Parental Control: Security and Reward

For a great many people also - particularly in our society, having children is an investment which provides security for the future and reward in old age. This in itself is a mercenary reason to have children but it is a real and very prevalent one. That age old question arises: "Who will look after me in my old age?"

Aside from this, one must point out that from time immemorial, having children was also an economic necessity: a family or clan needed more and more surviving young hands to pull in the hay and till the ground, and to ensure food security for all. It was therefore the case that chances of survival were always better in larger numbers.

Question: Is this one of the reasons you wish to have children and is it one of the expectations you have from your children?

Issue Number Four: The Unbearable Bond.

The bond between a parent and its child can reach unbearably deep. I often say to people that a Child is its Parent's immortality on this plane.

This can mean that both the parent and the child stand in that threshold of sanity and insanity where either can do almost anything no matter how desperate or far reaching for the sake of the other. At all events, that precious bond must suffer pain at death: and in some unpleasant instances where nature is turned on its head, it is the parent that has to watch its child die first. This sort of experience has made many people never the same again. However this is one fact of life that all have to deal with.

These are a few thoughts regarding which I would like to hear the thoughts of others - do you contemplate these things regarding parenthood?
What else do you contemplate?

Fine thoughts there.

I will say that the urge to procreate most times is a natural byproduct resulting from the attraction of the opposite sexes.

Some give it a thought most don't, they just know pregnancy will come when they engage in sex.

It is actually odd it seems for people to really stick their foot on the ground on this matters of deciding whether to have kids or not since most are not quite certain if that " blessing" will also come their way at the first place. Note, 'blessing'.

It will take extra ordinary naves to scale that mind set of having such a blessing to deciding not to have it in advance. even the other half of the union will imagine terrible things about you for thinking along that line. even accusing you of being occultic.

Well. so many odds stands on the way of such mind set in our society and world.

You have to be involve in certain profession that can serve and possibly give you the leeway to suggest such and not be seen as abnormal.

There are actually so much more to be said on this am afraid.

For now. i pause.

Peace.

1 Like

Re: The Dark Side Of Parenthood by DeepSight(m): 10:48am On Jul 25, 2017
Thanks. Will be interested in your further thoughts

(1) (Reply)

Facts About Pastor E.a. Adeboye At 76 / The Bible Is Fiction - A Collection Of Evidence / Muslims Are Stone Worshippers .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.