Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,601 members, 7,809,185 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:37 AM

The Devil Wears Okrika - Literature (78) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Devil Wears Okrika (626210 Views)

The Devil's Love (a Tale Of A Rapist) By John Mfon / A Walk With The Devil (Vol. 1) By Devilpen / The Devil In The Suit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Ayomicome(m): 4:22pm On Dec 15, 2017
I already contacted a SARS to help me look for you mr souloho19,.......I guess i'll have to pay the guy off but you'll pay back ooo

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by cyber5(m): 5:20pm On Dec 15, 2017
While we're waiting for Souloho19 to update.... Meneski baba kindly serve everyone Poisoned Pammy

Bill on me

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by cyber5(m): 5:20pm On Dec 15, 2017
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by TeekayCarter: 4:27am On Dec 16, 2017
cyber5:
While we're waiting for Souloho19 to update.... Meneski baba kindly serve everyone Poisoned Pammy

Bill on me

"Devil wears Okirika" fall on you. :/

2 Likes

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by meneski(m): 8:16am On Dec 16, 2017
cyber5:

Bill on me
With pleasure bro! Every body pls come forward for you boiled poisoned pammy by the right and your chilled poisoned pammy by the left. Who be first?

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by cyber5(m): 8:46am On Dec 16, 2017
TeekayCarter:

"Devil wears Okirika" fall on you. :/
lol
i cover my ass with the blood of Jesus
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by cyber5(m): 8:47am On Dec 16, 2017
meneski:
With pleasure bro! Every body pls come forward for you boiled poisoned pammy by the right and your chilled poisoned pammy by the left. Who be first?

serve TeekayCarter first
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by jomaa1(m): 5:06pm On Dec 16, 2017
cyber5:

lol

grin
cyber5:

lol

u dey fear
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by phemorihson(m): 7:10pm On Dec 16, 2017
souloho19:
She had to make a conscious effort to settle her nerves. She was very jittery and her hands shook as she gathered the pieces of charcoal, stuffing it into the nylon bag. It was a good thing Joy had pressured their father to set up the small scale business for her a year ago. "Dé you say you don't like us asking for money for every little thing..at least let me have something doing na...and I'd never disturb you that I want to make my hair again" joy had used this statement to make her case and it had worked.
Now Amara was more than grateful for those words and also grateful Joy had chosen the peculiar business of selling charcoal. At the time the KAD (Kick Against Deforestation) movement was ongoing especially in rural areas and villages and Joy had predicted people would need another source of fuel apart from wood, but the business didn't do so well like the sisters expected. There was just too much wood everywhere. But now Amara thought her little sister was blessed with foresight,hindsight,insight...in fact she had a powerful sight!

She opened the contents from their various polythene bags and transferred them into the larger sack and before long it was full to the brim and overflowing. She hurried out of the shed and hurried to the kitchen. The leaves were much but she feared it wouldn't be enough. The sheer volume of the poisoned villagers had scared her immensely and as she hurriedly sealed the sack, she prayed against death...prayed against mass genocide.
The sack was too heavy or maybe she was too tired but the good news was the clinic was a Stone's throw from her home.
She set out dragging the sack behind her, thanking God Osi and her father hadn't drank the poisoned palm wine. She had walked a short distance when she ran into Joy.
"Joy! How are you..Paul and Oluchi were are they?"
Her sister sighed pitifully "Paul might have lost his memory totally, he can't remember anything."
"Hmmm...what of Oluchi? Abeg hold this other end..this sack is too heavy"
"Oluchi was just crying uncontrollably, I felt very bad....this sack is heavy o! What's in it?"
"Joy I don't even know where to start...but we need to hurry to the clinic, time is against us."

They walked in silence with brisk and determined steps eating the ground and reducing the distance. When they came across Stevenson, he still had blood on his shirt(mostly Bartholomew's blood,) although it was dry now. His mind seemed to be eons away, his brows were drawn together and he had a frown on his face and he almost passed them before he noticed them.
"Amara...Joy..." He shook his head as if to clear his thoughts and glanced at Joy again "Joy how are you? I hope that beast didn't hurt you?"
"No not really, I didn't have the chance to thank you for what you did earlier"
"Don't mention" he shifted his gaze to Amara then to the sack in between them "where are you heading?"
"We need to get this sack to the clinic right away" Amara answered
"Let me help you with that, it looks quite heavy" a
I am loving this

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by cyber5(m): 11:05pm On Dec 16, 2017
jomaa1:
;Du dey fear

i no go open my eyes and be s.odomized
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Damibiz(m): 8:58pm On Dec 17, 2017
Most u quote a whole page ?
phemorihson:
I am loving this

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by HazardMan(m): 1:51pm On Dec 18, 2017
Bro Are U Also On Christmas Holiday? Come And Update Please I'm Hungry

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by paqman: 3:12am On Dec 19, 2017
;Di think readers deserve a Christmas bonus

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 11:18am On Dec 19, 2017
paqman:
;Di think readers deserve a Christmas bonus
And what does the writer himself deserve?
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by paqman: 11:00pm On Dec 19, 2017
OluwabuqqyYOLO:

And what does the writer himself deserve?
I think the reader is the boss of the writer ,thumbs up to all readers and authors on nairaland
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by wizsolzy(m): 6:48am On Dec 20, 2017
singing *in olamide's voice... update, update, update... wen wil u update dis year? next year?
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by ADECULATE(f): 11:49am On Dec 20, 2017
Souloho19, where re thou na?
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by souloho19(m): 5:42pm On Dec 20, 2017
this story would end this year...sabali FAM...just few more days. Gracias

6 Likes

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Twizzy30(m): 10:38pm On Dec 20, 2017
souloho19:
this story would end this year...sabali FAM...just few more days.
Gracias
Thanks for remembering us, pls do and come update.. sabali bruh grin
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by EkopSparoAyara(m): 6:37pm On Dec 21, 2017
souloho19:
this story would end this year...sabali FAM...just few more days.
Gracias
Anticipating bro...]
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Bibi294(f): 10:34pm On Dec 21, 2017
Congrats Souloho on ur POP

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Jazmiynne: 5:34am On Dec 22, 2017
@souloho: Good to Go, Good to Go, #ByeByeToOtondo cheesy
Congratulations! cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by OmniSparrow: 6:21am On Dec 22, 2017
Nice.

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by hypnotic(m): 1:41pm On Dec 22, 2017
meanwhile check out our store, we have some cool discounts this Christmas

https://hadassahlingerie.smemarkethub.com/products/christmas-deals/

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Oluwakemi65(f): 4:05pm On Dec 22, 2017
Souloho just dey enjoy Christmas ni. no forget ur people for here oh.

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Damibiz(m): 1:45pm On Dec 24, 2017
Bosz gv us smthing to hold body this xmas na

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by phemorihson(m): 9:09pm On Dec 26, 2017
sowie sir!

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by phemorihson(m): 9:10pm On Dec 26, 2017
Damibiz:
Most u quote a whole page ?
Sowie sir!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Damibiz(m): 9:21pm On Dec 26, 2017
Lol
phemorihson:
Sowie sir!
happy christmas in arearz

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by souloho19(m): 12:04pm On Dec 27, 2017
Sudenly the twitching stopped, the spasmodic vibrations that emanated from Dé John's barrel shaped gut seized and a sudden stillness settled on the elder. For a painful second that threatened to stretch till eternity the villagers stopped everything they were doing, they stopped hitting the hospital doors with reddened fist, stopped shouting, chanting and even those brought to their knees by the poison stopped dying, they all looked at the elder as the stillness that originated from him spread within them.
Later Osi would replay it in his mind and it still wouldn't be clear, all he would remember is the shout. One minute he's helping the mother hold the young child (as Jelemba hurriedly grinds the mixture) and from the corner of his eyes he's thinking: Dé John hasn't moved..
And the next second, Dé John is on his feet and his fist is in the air, shouting... "I'm alive...it worked!"
If somehow time had paused for a second, those words were all it took to 'play' it. And it did just that in a frenzied pace.
"It works! It works!"
"Give me at once!"
"I need it..I need it now!"
The people turned from the door and crowded poor Jelemba making the young boy flinch away.
The reverend noticed and placed a reassuring hand on the little boy's shoulder. Then he began shouting, his voice booming like a microphone was lodged in his throat as he nudged the people away.
"We need to work as one..there are many coconuts and charcoal...we have to assist him" he boomed again and again, clapping his hands and gesturing like a coach might, to encourage dispirited players.
And it worked, everyone got busy. Some of the villagers who were not poisoned joined them and before long they were divided in small groups, lending a hand, everyone playing his/her part to get the antidote prepared. Sticks appeared, more coconuts were halved, the charcoal sack was emptied on the ground and before long, the stillness had been replaced with the repetitive grinding sound of the charcoal and utazi

Osi winced as he nudged the contents down the throat of the little boy. His chest felt perforated and basic arm movements as he administered the potion brought a wave of blinding pain that threatened to get him horizontal. Still he held on, positioning the child's head so the black liquid won't trickle down his chin. The bottomless fear in the mother's eyes, driving him, pushing him and forcing his lips to part in a prayer.

Mama Ezinne appeared amidst the crowd and she hurried over to reverend Okorie (who was definitely in charge)
"What can I do to help?" She asked the reverend.
Before he could reply, Dé Nwachukwu shouted "The only thing you can do is tell me what you put in the palmwine!"
"It...was grounded castor beans..."
"What is that?!" Dé Nwachukwu was livid. He marched threateningly to where she stood.
"I don't...I don't know...he only brought the powder form to me" she trembled.
"Castor...that would be ricin is it not?" Gregory asked as he broke off from his small group(tasked with ripping and shredding the leaves)
Mama Ezinne snapped her fingers and nodded eagerly "aha..yes.. rice....rice..."
But all focus was now on Gregory.
"How do you know all these things?" Joy asked with wide eyes.
But Gregory was on a roll.
"If it is ricin they ingested, then we have little time...they won't just drop dead without showing some kind of symptom...like diarrhea, for instance..."
"Greg..stomachs have been exploding and erupting and you're still looking for a symptom!" The Reverend was exasperated.
"What exactly do we need to know about this ricin whatever?" Dé Nwachukwu asked impatiently.
"Well, if the ricin has been ingested recently, it can be stopped by pumping the stomach or ingesting charcoal" he snapped his fingers as the idea hit him. "Which is why the potion worked for Dé John!"
"So the people in there have a chance with the stomach pumping?" Dé Nwachukwu asked, pointing at the hospital.
"Well in cases like these, survivors often develop long-term organ damage. Ricin causes severe diarrhea and vomiting, and victims can die of circulatory shock or organ failure" Gregory explained causing both Osi and the reverend to draw their brows in surprise, who knew they had a walking mass of encyclopedia with them all along!
"Well its up to us to stop the organs from failing...let's speed it up...hurry up....that group, grind the leaves, Amara...we need charcoal over here...You and you...more coconuts!" In his younger days, the reverend used to be the choir master, complete with the robe and drumstick and he seemed to tune into the act as he gestured and instructed and there was a bubble of activity wherever he pointed.

°•°•°•°•
The hospital was another matter entirely. Nkiru was the only experienced personnel and she had over a dozen poisoned villagers, vomiting and gripping their stomach in pain and wailing. She had a badly injured man whose chest needed immediate antiseptic and stitching, and what's more, she had the doctor, the man supposed to instruct her was sprowled on the chair (which had been stretched diagonally) and shouting for her attention.

Amara could only run in circles, she knew what to do and at the same time she didn't know what to do. It would have been funny if the situation wasn't so sad.
She knew that in gastric suction/lavage, the tube is passed via the mouth or nose into the stomach and small volumes of liquid, preferably warm saline solution is admisistered and removed. But this was her problem: she had to be sure the tube did not get in the lungs, that would be a disaster. Filling the lungs with water instead of the stomach. She could ensure it didn't happen through x-ray(but that wasn't possible, the doctor wasn't likely to get behind the light), or she could inflate the inserted tube with air while listening to the stomach (but she could hardly hear her own thoughts over the noise in the hospital) another method was by pH testing a small amount of stomach contents (but there was no litmus paper, no pH strip/meter and to be honest, she wasn't about to aspirate/suck stomach contents through the tube)
That brought her to yet another problem; The tube. The tube looked like something that had been used to transfer fuel during the recent fuel crises and Nkiru was hundred percent sure it was clogged.
She threw her hands up in helplessness, as the shouts from the doctor, the nasty sounds/smell that was the heaving and vomiting of the villagers, and also the butcher's shouts turned her head and got her dizzy.

°•°•°•
And outside a miracle was happening.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by souloho19(m): 12:05pm On Dec 27, 2017
Compliments of the season, Jah bless you for sticking around.

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by souloho19(m): 12:09pm On Dec 27, 2017
Damibiz:
Bosz gv us smthing to hold body this xmas na

Compliments bro, don't mind the length o.

Oluwakemi65:
Souloho just dey enjoy Christmas ni.
no forget ur people for here oh.

E no dey possible na...compliments dear

Jazmiynne:
@souloho: Good to Go, Good to Go, #ByeByeToOtondo cheesy
Congratulations! cheesy cheesy
smiley thanks dear, compliments of the season.

Bibi294:
Congrats Souloho on ur POP
Graçias mon ami, compliments of the season.

(1) (2) (3) ... (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) ... (84) (Reply)

All In A Circle.....(A crime story) / Deceitful Couple / False Pretenses <1ST POSITION, ROMANCE STORY OF THE YEAR AWARD, 2013>

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.