Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,950 members, 7,956,588 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 02:40 PM

The Devil Wears Okrika - Literature (77) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Devil Wears Okrika (633266 Views)

The Devil's Love (a Tale Of A Rapist) By John Mfon / A Walk With The Devil (Vol. 1) By Devilpen / The Devil In The Suit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Ochyglowsglows(f): 10:33pm On Dec 07, 2017
Soul, this one wey u dey delay, abi na Gucci u wan wear for devil now no be okrika again? Great story BTW

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Nobody: 9:26am On Dec 08, 2017
Souloho19, I decided I must share my testimony concerning your story. I came across it and couldnt stop reading, it was so captivating I read it while walking on the road and twice vehicles almost hit me, man u are good. Thumbs up.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by donkelz(m): 1:23pm On Dec 08, 2017
Jadedgrace98:
Souloho19, I decided I must share my testimony concerning your story. I came across it and couldnt stop reading, it was so captivating I read it while walking on the road and twice vehicles almost hit me, man u are good. Thumbs up.

Souloho19 you need to read her story, its lit!

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by go4success(f): 1:36pm On Dec 08, 2017
grin cheesy cool
donkelz:

Souloho19 you need to read her story, its lit!

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Nobody: 1:44pm On Dec 08, 2017
Jadedgrace98:

3 Likes

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by wizsolzy(m): 3:37pm On Dec 08, 2017
make dis film finish naaa bros

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Oluwakemi65(f): 11:19am On Dec 09, 2017
Souloho19, hope there is no problem? receive inspiration to finish d work u started. cool

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Nobody: 10:17pm On Dec 09, 2017
Souloho19, where you dey since?

Na this story still dey draw me come literature section

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by souloho19(m): 10:23pm On Dec 09, 2017
happy weekend FAM, sorry for the delay(couldn't help it) and thanks for your comments. The update is almost ready... just few more updates for the story to conclude,Have a little sabali biko

7 Likes

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Hantonia(f): 11:11pm On Dec 09, 2017
souloho19:
happy weekend FAM, sorry for the delay(couldn't help it) and thanks for your comments. The update is almost ready... just few more updates for the story to conclude,Have a little sabali biko
ohk Waitin

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by paqman: 8:11am On Dec 10, 2017
have been on nairaland not quite long,I have been able to read a lot of story but I must confess , the writer is a bomb jah bless you and your brain will not witter

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by souloho19(m): 10:30am On Dec 12, 2017
She had to make a conscious effort to settle her nerves. She was very jittery and her hands shook as she gathered the pieces of charcoal, stuffing it into the nylon bag. It was a good thing Joy had pressured their father to set up the small scale business for her a year ago. "Dé you say you don't like us asking for money for every little thing..at least let me have something doing na...and I'd never disturb you that I want to make my hair again" joy had used this statement to make her case and it had worked.
Now Amara was more than grateful for those words and also grateful Joy had chosen the peculiar business of selling charcoal. At the time the KAD (Kick Against Deforestation) movement was ongoing especially in rural areas and villages and Joy had predicted people would need another source of fuel apart from wood, but the business didn't do so well like the sisters expected. There was just too much wood everywhere. But now Amara thought her little sister was blessed with foresight,hindsight,insight...in fact she had a powerful sight!

She opened the contents from their various polythene bags and transferred them into the larger sack and before long it was full to the brim and overflowing. She hurried out of the shed and hurried to the kitchen. The leaves were much but she feared it wouldn't be enough. The sheer volume of the poisoned villagers had scared her immensely and as she hurriedly sealed the sack, she prayed against death...prayed against mass genocide.
The sack was too heavy or maybe she was too tired but the good news was the clinic was a Stone's throw from her home.
She set out dragging the sack behind her, thanking God Osi and her father hadn't drank the poisoned palm wine. She had walked a short distance when she ran into Joy.
"Joy! How are you..Paul and Oluchi were are they?"
Her sister sighed pitifully "Paul might have lost his memory totally, he can't remember anything."
"Hmmm...what of Oluchi? Abeg hold this other end..this sack is too heavy"
"Oluchi was just crying uncontrollably, I felt very bad....this sack is heavy o! What's in it?"
"Joy I don't even know where to start...but we need to hurry to the clinic, time is against us."

They walked in silence with brisk and determined steps eating the ground and reducing the distance. When they came across Stevenson, he still had blood on his shirt(mostly Bartholomew's blood,) although it was dry now. His mind seemed to be eons away, his brows were drawn together and he had a frown on his face and he almost passed them before he noticed them.
"Amara...Joy..." He shook his head as if to clear his thoughts and glanced at Joy again "Joy how are you? I hope that beast didn't hurt you?"
"No not really, I didn't have the chance to thank you for what you did earlier"
"Don't mention" he shifted his gaze to Amara then to the sack in between them "where are you heading?"
"We need to get this sack to the clinic right away" Amara answered
"Let me help you with that, it looks quite heavy" and with relative ease he hefted the sack on his shoulder and the three of them hurried to the clinic.

°•°•°•
By the time the small group got to the clinic there was a small crowd outside, shouting, chanting and generally restless. The doctor was outside tapping some villagers on the back, the ones he tapped immediately hurried into the clinic but the rest were really getting impatient and restless. A fight broke out as some youths began shoving each other and before long the crowd were shouting, pushing and shoving each other.

"Order...order..one after the other!" Dé Nwachukwu shouted at the top of his voice but no one heard him.
"Where is this boy with the coconut eh?" Dé john said worriedly as he looked round searching for the youth he had sent for coconuts "And your daughter too...where is she...where are they?!"
"Relax Dé...they'll soon be here" Dé Nwachukwu assured his friend.
His stomach grumbled in reply and he clutched it.

The doctor managed to hurry into the hospital followed by the twenty or so villagers he had tapped. He shut the door, promising he'll be back soon for another batch.

"Oh Lord..this is a tragedy" Gregory muttered under his breath.

°•°•
Inside the hospital, Nkiru tended to Benedict and at the same time the doctor..she kept on rushing from one end of the room to the other as she prepared the tube for the gastric suction. The doctor had assured the few villagers in the clinic that he needed to be cleansed first so he could attend to them quickly.
"Nurse...Nkiru...come come, come fast, come and attend to me biko!" The doctor shouted as he settled on the seat and adjusted the headrest.
Nkiru bit her tongue as she focused intently at the task at hand, she was currently applying a bandage to Benedict's chest, she took a break to check the knob of the intravenous drip, satisfied the flow was adequate and not too fast, she returned to the bandage.
"Nkiru..are you deaf! We need to hurry and save this people!" The doctor shouted again impatiently.
"I'm coming Sir" but she sighed and abandoned the bandage. She hurried to the doctor's side and inspected the water pipe, checking the other end and securing it to the water supply.
"Its ready just hurry...hurry" as if in agreement, his stomach grumbled again.
"I'm supposed to use saline solution to rinse it first, to prevent irritation and-"
"Nkiru for God's sake, flush this poison out of my system!"

°•°•°•°
The villagers were threatening to break down the door. They pummeled the door with their fists and shouted for the doctor to open up. Some clenched their stomach and complained the poison had started working while some slammed the door with their shoulders, intending to break it down. Still some forced their fingers down their throat.

Dé Nwachukwu attempted to calm the villagers down but everyone was in a state of emergency. None of them paid attention to him.
"Please...let's be organised! The door would soon be opened again...we can't all go in..."
"I don't want to die!"
"Elder do something.."
"Elder help us...wise one save us"
A woman thrust her child at him "he's just six years old...he can't die...please do something"
Dé Nwachukwu looked around helplessly "the doctor should have taken in children and women first" he muttered to himself. He glanced at the child who looked very frightened then studied the woman. "Wait...how could you give a six year old palm wine?"
"I didn't know it was poisoned...help me Dé..help me" she burst into tears and Dé Nwachukwu shook his head in dismay. "You shouldn't have given such a young boy alcohol" he muttered under his breath and looked around desperately.
The truth was, he knew there was no way the hospital could save everyone at once, they were just too much and judging by the rumble of their stomachs, the poison would begin to work any moment from now. He desperately wished Amara and the young man would turn up immediately.

He must have conjured his daughters because Amara and Joy suddenly burst into the clearing, they were accompanied by Stevenson who carried a big sack.
Dé Nwachukwu knew it contained the charcoal and utazi. There was Hooe after all!
"Where is this young man...we need the coconut right now" he sighed looking round but there was no sign of the young man.

"I need a stick I can use to grind the charcoal and the leaves" Jelemba said immediately Stevenson dropped the sack.
"What of a plate or something you'll grind it in?" Amara asked
"No...that's what the coconut is for, I'll grind it inside allowing it to soak the water" he replied.
"Where's the coconut now" Dé John said for the umpteenth time. A dozen worry lines were etched in his elderly face.

"Look at that coconut tree..maybe we'll need to pluck by ourselves"
Reverend Okorie suggested, pointing to a coconut tree close by.
"Then we'll need to start breaking it and removing the exterior...it would waste precious time" Dé Nwachukwu observed studying the tree thoughtfully.
"Precious time is what we're wasting right now...we need to do something, we can't continue to wait" the Reverend countered.
"I agree with him...lets try and pluck some ourselves" Dé john said.
"But how do we do that...do we throw stones or find a stick or what?" Gregory asked. He sounded confused.
"I saw a bamboo stick not far away, it should be long enough...let me hurry and get it" Dé john said and hurried off.
"I'll assist you" Osi offered and hurried after the elder.
Dé john had taken just few steps when he doubled over, and shouted in pain. He clutched his stomach tightly and began to shake so fast it was more like a vibration.
"No..no...no...oh my God" Osi said in dismay as he knelt down beside the elder. His chest was still on fire but now he could hardly feel the pain. He began to pray and speak in tongues. He laid his hands, on Dé John's stomach as he prayed.
"There he is!" Amara exclaimed suddenly.
"My friend will you hurry!" Dé Nwachukwu shouted causing Osi to look up. He saw the young man pushing a wheelbarrow filled with coconuts. The good thing was the hard exterior had been removed.
"Why did you take time eh?" Dé Nwachukwu demanded harshly.
"I'm sorry sah...I had to peel everything"
Jelemba quickly took one coconut, cracked it into two with the cutlass the youth had brought and after handing one half to Gregory, he loosened the sack and added charcoal and the utazi leaf.

Dé john was still having a seizure and Osi feared he would begin to foam at the mouth any moment. He continued praying as Jelemba used the handle of the cutlass to smash the charcoal.
"Actually...this leave is supposed to be soaked at least overnight to get the nutrients but this way too will work" he said as he grinded the charcoal to powder form.
"It better...it better...it has to work" Dé Nwachukwu kept on muttering.
"Okay..help him up" Jelemba instructed when he was satisfied with the mixture and the youth helped Osi raise Dé john in a sitting position.
Jelemba brought the coconut to his shaking lips and tilted it, spilling the contents into the elder's mouth.
When Osi noticed his Adams apple move, he gave a sigh of relief but he began to worry again when Dé john continued shaking.
His stomach rumbled again. Louder this time and it seemed his shaky movements was more serious than before.
They all kept quiet and observed the elder.
Osi prayed the concoction would be effective but a heavy doubt hung in the air.

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by hadow(m): 10:36am On Dec 12, 2017
wow d suspense continues

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Charminee(f): 10:58am On Dec 12, 2017
Thanks for the update. Kindly mention me when you update nxt
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by phayth(f): 12:31pm On Dec 12, 2017
Was abt to ask "where art thou"?Thanks for the update!
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Damibiz(m): 1:32pm On Dec 12, 2017
U see they re things that prayerz can actually nw do immediately,..use ur head nd God will help u,instead of Shouting Jesus up nd down.....nice update man
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by EkopSparoAyara(m): 3:26pm On Dec 12, 2017
Nice one bro but this update is short oo..
Weldone souloho19.. Patiently waiting for more
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by vickyluvspices(f): 7:34pm On Dec 12, 2017
hehe...grinning lyk a--- nyc write up man...but dis update short oh... come nd kwantinue.
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Lildiamond: 8:05pm On Dec 12, 2017
Nice try
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Oluwakemi65(f): 9:14pm On Dec 12, 2017
hadow:
wow d suspense continues
my brother na so we see am oh. another wondaful update @souloho19
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Joislim(f): 9:25pm On Dec 12, 2017
I hope the concoction works
Jelemba will just become a celebrity
thanks for the update soul
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by melodydennis(f): 5:59am On Dec 13, 2017
I don't know how so people even think, why will you be giving a six year old baby palm wine?
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Yemike(m): 11:02am On Dec 13, 2017
This makes me remember my landlady that do give her granddaughter of 2years palm winegringringrin

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by nittroboy(m): 11:08am On Dec 13, 2017
Nice one
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Pinkfeet: 11:15pm On Dec 13, 2017
thanks for the update.
another suspense
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by light4life(f): 11:27pm On Dec 13, 2017
Osi!!! I mean Soul, thanks for the update ! see how u make me change your name now.
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Sallyevally(f): 11:36pm On Dec 13, 2017
THE 2017/2018 WITTYSALLY WRITERS CHALLENGE

(Wittysally Writers Challenge begins registration and posting of poems on the 11th of December and closes on the 31st of January 2018 for the first stage.)

Wittysally writer's challenge is organised for writers to use their creativity to address marriage and relationship questions in the society. It is structured to occur bi-annually with prizes which aim at encouraging the writing community. The whole point is that if the family is given proper orientation, then the world would actually be a better place. This is where wittysally comes in and decides to follow the truth about the saying that... “Pen Mightier than the sword”. On this ground, wittysally has decided to organize a writer's challenge, which would give the public a hyperopic perspective to reasoning in terms of marriage and relationship.

So are you a writer? Are you ready to use your pen to fight for the convictions of relationships?? And the best part is, you get to impact lives while competing, and winning great prizes for yourself.

The winners would get their works published on our blog,

A one –on - one interview with the CEO on our YouTube channel

An interview with the CEO of Ocha Wittysally Concept live on ‘How Una Dey’ With Khrisyarn on kiss fm 98.9 [radio station].

Also, the Golden winner gets an iPhone 6 in addition to all these

…to view a list of other prizes for the 1st and 2nd runner up use the prize button below

STEPS ON HOW TO PARTICIPATE

visit www.wittysally.com
On the Home menu click on Register
Register with the sum of ₦1000 to apply for the Writers challenge
A Reciept would be sent to your mail instantly after the online payment which is strictly for credit card and direct bank payment.
For direct bank transfer users please request for an invoice using the online chat platform on the blog at the bottom left of your screen.
Write a short poem on the title 'ABUSED' not more than 40 lines and post on your Instagram page with the hashtag #wittysallywriterschallenge and tag @wittysally
Notice:

poems with the highest likes will qualify for the next stage!!!

RULES AND REGULATIONS

Please note failure to abide by the following rules and regulations below will lead to automatic disqualification.

-Poems should not be more than 40 lines.[ title 'ABUSED']
-must use our hashtags [#wittysallywriterschallenge] on instagram
-Must follow all media sponsors instagram account below .
-Must tag only @wittysally and sponsors accounts while posting your poem
@unilag_todo,

@thinkliv

@sbm_events

@abstractwriters

@khrisyarn

@mixsiefunbooks

@olaolu_williams

@nova_slayers,

@831CEAC

@wittysallyevents

@wittysallyevents_tv

on instagram

-Must follow host account. (@wittysally)
-Must tag all accounts.
-While making payments your Instagram handle should be filled .
-Please do not change the name of your Instagram handle after registration .
Final stage

Updating….
bibijay123:

Thanks grin

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by ahmedbanj(m): 1:54am On Dec 14, 2017
wow stumbled upon this piece yesterday,and here I am,mehn dis is just so captivating,d suspence is juz too much,great work. kudos!
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by nuelzy: 11:39am On Dec 14, 2017
Hmmmm...
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by HORLADSTAR(m): 10:12pm On Dec 14, 2017
Weldone bro,really loving dis like no other
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Chigold121(f): 11:13pm On Dec 14, 2017
Weldone, but does coconut, utazi leave and charcoal truly neutralise poison?
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by souloho19(m): 10:39am On Dec 15, 2017
Chigold121:
Weldone, but does coconut, utazi leave and charcoal truly neutralise poison?

according to my research, each of them helps in toxins/ poison removal, so in their own might it could be a genuine poison neutralizer

(1) (2) (3) ... (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) ... (84) (Reply)

All In A Circle.....(A crime story) / Deceitful Couple / False Pretenses <1ST POSITION, ROMANCE STORY OF THE YEAR AWARD, 2013>

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.