Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:18 AM

When Your Career Ends, What Will You Do Next? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / When Your Career Ends, What Will You Do Next? (4305 Views)

Want To Improve Your Career? 4 New Year Resolutions You Should Consider / A Friend Lost His Job: How To Future-proof Your Career! / How Your Date Of Birth Can Dictate Your Career Path (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Your Career Ends, What Will You Do Next? by AjanleKoko: 5:35pm On Feb 08, 2010
This is something I've been thinking about for a while.
You know we all have a picture of ourselves, how we will work harder, get promotions faster, and eventually rise to the top of our respective corporate ladders, all in record time.

Well, things are changing. In fact, for some of us, our careers will be over way before we expect. Just ask the guys who got laid off from banks recently. Many of them will probably never get another bank job in their lifetime. Is it over for these guys?

So let me pose a question. If your career ends today (and I mean ends!), what would you do next?
For me, it's definitely a trading business! Energy, telecoms, technology. I will definitely go into buying and selling, and solutions. What about you guys?
Re: When Your Career Ends, What Will You Do Next? by timely: 8:46pm On Feb 08, 2010
Well, i guess because of what happen in the banking industry and the economic meltdown should teach us a lesson.

i need to acquire a skill that can make me stand on my own or makes me relevant to another industry.

Do you know that even the buying and selling have their challenges too.

From day one i should plan my exit so that if i'm told to go, i will be prepare for it.
Re: When Your Career Ends, What Will You Do Next? by MrCrackles(m): 8:52pm On Feb 08, 2010
For me, training and consultancy in the PM/energy/engineering sectors. . . .
Also, i will carefully dabble into investments. . .
Re: When Your Career Ends, What Will You Do Next? by Latiboy: 6:53pm On Feb 11, 2010
Self employment is the best though it depends,dats why am in computer engr come rain come sunshine. INVESTMENTS ARE SEEDLINGS BEING PLANTED
Re: When Your Career Ends, What Will You Do Next? by toyecoach(m): 10:43pm On Feb 11, 2010
welcome on board Chesfrank.

when career ends!Can a career end? Career is a means of livelihood,it ends when a
man dies,then we can say he has a successful career.

A man that lost his job still has hope,he has the knowledge and experience!
what he can do is first be determined to continue his life and made effort to
move on.

he must also work in hand with his career coach,for reassessment and strategies for the challenges ahead.

Since all industry can absorb all discipline, will do well by seeking for information on options available to him.
For instance,he can be equipped with information on getting fast oil jobs in line with his level,visiting ,www.plumoiljobcareers.com might be an excellent place to start the search.

Lots of resources are also available online to help in reshaping his career.
thanks.
Re: When Your Career Ends, What Will You Do Next? by rubataka: 8:51am On Feb 16, 2010
They said a stich in time saves nine.
Don't wait until you are laid off, you can have other sources of income. some of them will not take your time, for example visit www.webinar.freevar.com to see what you can add to your stream of income.
Re: When Your Career Ends, What Will You Do Next? by alldone(m): 9:42am On Feb 16, 2010
i think it is good for one to plan ahead and acquire more skill to be relevant in other field.
some people just stay on the same spot. get a masters or a proffessional certification and move on.

i know people who are still in the banks with school cert. you need to prepare yourself this days.
Re: When Your Career Ends, What Will You Do Next? by Regiblinkz(m): 9:51am On Feb 16, 2010
I would engage myself in some sort of private bussiness men this is a really tricky question
Re: When Your Career Ends, What Will You Do Next? by iice(f): 4:29pm On Feb 17, 2010
Try my hand in other things. . .i like to try stuff. . .just to see what it's like.
Did a few things the past year. Will be doing other things this year. . .just cause i can and i want to smiley
Re: When Your Career Ends, What Will You Do Next? by MsTom(f): 1:54pm On Feb 19, 2010
toyecoach:

welcome on board Chesfrank.

when career ends!Can a career end? Career is a means of livelihood,it ends when a
man dies,then we can say he has a successful career.

A man that lost his job still has hope,he has the knowledge and experience!
what he can do is first be determined to continue his life and made effort to
move on.

he must also work in hand with his career coach,for reassessment and strategies for the challenges ahead.

Since all industry can absorb all discipline, will do well by seeking for information on options available to him.
For instance,he can be equipped with information on getting fast oil jobs in line with his level,visiting ,www.plumoiljobcareers.com might be an excellent place to start the search.

Lots of resources are also available online to help in reshaping his career.
thanks.

Thank you for that point. I dont think a career can ever end except the man dies. A job can end. A career is what you are trained for usually from school. An accountant in a bank can be an accountant anywhere else. If one is laid off in a bank, he can try other sectors but due to the recession, it can take longer to get a new job. My advice, if you can, add value to your qualification till the recession is over. You can learn new skills like sewing ( may sound funny, but its true). If not then, start a biz you are interested in.
Re: When Your Career Ends, What Will You Do Next? by Nobody: 1:59pm On Feb 19, 2010
will prolly try to play to my strenghts

small scale it consultancy/support,

freelance engineering design ( getting contacts is the real bitch)

a friend actually did just that pissed off with the way things were at his employer, he upped and resigned.
Re: When Your Career Ends, What Will You Do Next? by Nobody: 2:08pm On Feb 19, 2010
AjanleKoko:

For me, it's definitely a trading business! Energy, telecoms, technology. I will definitely go into buying and selling, and solutions.

Same here cool
Re: When Your Career Ends, What Will You Do Next? by obyann(f): 2:21pm On Feb 19, 2010
I have my own business already, aside been an employee in another company.
I can't depend only on my salary.
Re: When Your Career Ends, What Will You Do Next? by Gifo(m): 2:29pm On Feb 19, 2010
You know guys, it's very easy to say you'll do this and that at the end of your career. There are lots of things to facilitate that. Infact, financing of the business and the experience you need to have may not practically be as easy as one may think.

Generally, start gaining experience on whatever you want to do, say on the side business; and plan for the finances required. Go for a business that will not send you to the streets if it doesn't work out. Believe me, it doesn't always just workout well.

Also the use of all payoff money to invest in a new business should be discouraged; especially the one you don't have experience on. If it doesn't workout, you may go begging as you may not have anything left to take care of your basic needs.
Re: When Your Career Ends, What Will You Do Next? by AjanleKoko: 2:36pm On Feb 19, 2010
oyb:

will prolly try to play to my strenghts

small scale it consultancy/support,

freelance engineering design ( getting contacts is the real naughty woman)

a friend actually did just that pissed off with the way things were at his employer, he upped and resigned.

Best way forward in my view.
Re: When Your Career Ends, What Will You Do Next? by jumie(f): 3:17pm On Feb 19, 2010
Self employment/being a business owner is it.

No point depending solely on salaried work.
Re: When Your Career Ends, What Will You Do Next? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Feb 19, 2010
AM even thinking of which business to go into since i believe after i get married,i wont be allowed to work again.And am not really a business person cos i can stand the stress.
It pays to be on ur own be4 or have something of ur own.I wont have the opportunity to work where i am now if my boss had not started his business 20yrs ago.So i need to help youths by employing them as well.
Re: When Your Career Ends, What Will You Do Next? by ayobase(m): 4:07pm On Feb 19, 2010
na to start employing more workers!
Re: When Your Career Ends, What Will You Do Next? by Nobody: 4:27pm On Feb 19, 2010
i've got so many business ah-deas, i pray i can actualise one of them this year though. i'm not waiting for my career to end before i start my business.

as to what exactly, i find i'm drawn to fashion.
Re: When Your Career Ends, What Will You Do Next? by bockey(m): 4:41pm On Feb 19, 2010
Well to me, the end of one career is the beginning of another career. What matters in life is the ability to adapt to a new career path in life. That is why we should all be prepared to face the uncertainty in life even if it means being self employed. For big officers who will find it difficult to change to a lower level job, they will definetly go for investment. Politics is another lucrative career, no target, no stress, very easy.
Re: When Your Career Ends, What Will You Do Next? by stillgrds(m): 4:49pm On Feb 19, 2010
Career ends? Everybody should read this from Peter Drucker. Click, print or save and make sure you read.

http://www.sld.cu/galerias/pdf/sitios/revsalud/managing_oneself.pdf
Re: When Your Career Ends, What Will You Do Next? by tkb417(m): 5:36pm On Feb 19, 2010
how can a career end? getting sacked doesnt mean a career has ended

if anyone sacks me, ill look for another job. If i dont get, ill trade anythn
Re: When Your Career Ends, What Will You Do Next? by asha80(m): 5:57pm On Feb 19, 2010
tkb417:

Even cocaine undecided
Re: When Your Career Ends, What Will You Do Next? by tkb417(m): 6:15pm On Feb 19, 2010
i'm sorry if my post was wooly

i'll trade anythin legal cool
Re: When Your Career Ends, What Will You Do Next? by AjanleKoko: 6:18pm On Feb 19, 2010
stillgrds:

Career ends? Everybody should read this from Peter Drucker. Click, print or save and make sure you read.

http://www.sld.cu/galerias/pdf/sitios/revsalud/managing_oneself.pdf

Nice article.
Re: When Your Career Ends, What Will You Do Next? by tachi(f): 6:27pm On Feb 19, 2010
well, work in a bank presently but into other stuff as well. fish farming, kiddie party packs and fx trading(just starting off tho, so still pretty much a juvy!)
Re: When Your Career Ends, What Will You Do Next? by Abojupupa: 6:31pm On Feb 19, 2010
I wiill go back to my village and establish a school. Finance? I will get a loan.
Re: When Your Career Ends, What Will You Do Next? by MrCrackles(m): 6:56pm On Feb 19, 2010
tkb417:

Human parts as well
Re: When Your Career Ends, What Will You Do Next? by tkb417(m): 7:00pm On Feb 19, 2010
MrCrackles:

Human parts as well
msheww
u no see my edited post above tongue
Re: When Your Career Ends, What Will You Do Next? by mamagee3(f): 7:25pm On Feb 19, 2010
I'm still young for my career to end.
Re: When Your Career Ends, What Will You Do Next? by kukute: 7:35pm On Feb 19, 2010
Hi guys. I believe learning a skill and starting your own business is the way out. Best advice is to earn the skill and begin to test run your business while still in paid employment. This way you would have developed expertise and tested the viability of your business idea before you jump out. For those of you that are creativity inclined you can check out Fashion Art and Creative Academy. The details of the training out fit is attached below

Fashion Art and Creatives Academy is the vocational skills transfer arm of House of Henri which has trained over 1500 people. House of Henri is an integrated multi-division company focused on the creative industry. The fashion division of House of Henri won the Nigeria Best Fashion Designer for 2005/2006 of the Nigeria Fashion Show.

The school currently offer training courses in Fashion Design, Bridals, Soft Furnishings and Interior Décor, Millinery, Jewelry Craft, Makeover Artistry, Photography, Events Decor and Modeling.

Our goal is to add value to people who want to start or grow a career in the Fashion, Art and Creative industries by imparting to them invaluable technical skills. The programmes prepare our students for careers in the local and global Fashion, Art, and Creative industries. With these skills they can start or grow a business as a means of livelihood or as an additional stream of income. In the event that they decide to further their education within or outside the country the skills learned can be used as entry level requirements to higher institutions and they would have been given a strategic leverage and head start that will make them excel. We also believe that beyond the typical white collar jobs, every man or woman should have a skill or learn a trade that they can fall back on at any point in time.

Our courses take a highly practical approach, focusing on extensive hands on exercises by our students. Our method breaks down sometimes difficult concepts into easy to learn steps bringing the student up to speed.

For us to know your exact training needs and how you can be part of the Fashion Art and Creatives Academy kindly call us on 08023290830 or 01-8783390.www.henriwears.com

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mechatronics (IIT, Lagos) Or CCNA (cisco) / The 11 Forgotten Laws Of Stirring Interest And Desire; Getting Them To Want You / Can I Convert My HND To B.sc?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.