Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,882 members, 7,828,139 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:35 AM

What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church (32662 Views)

Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says / Did The Bible Really Say That A Woman Must Marry Her Rapist? / Ladies Disclose Worst Things A Pastor Said About Women In Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by Nov6(m): 6:37pm On Jul 30, 2017
I understand very well what OP is trying to say even with her contradicting herself...

But the truth is even if a woman has a long or short hair on her head, it should&must be covered completly during spiritual activities, it is very wrong for a woman to live her hair open when in church......

If there are Seventhday Adventist in the house i guess they should testify to this........
I rest my case now
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by hysteriabox(m): 6:43pm On Jul 30, 2017
0b100100111:

Today's Israel
Jewish Isreal, yes
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by samstradam: 6:44pm On Jul 30, 2017
@OP

read this, I found it far richer and analytical than most views on here

https://bible.org/article/what-head-covering-1-cor-112-16-and-does-it-apply-us-today

I do however salute you for challenging the traditional view on this in this part of the world.
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by Sylverly(m): 6:45pm On Jul 30, 2017
BrainnewsNg:
In the Christian community all over the world there have been an age long argument among some denominations over the covering of “head” or “hair” by women when in church or when praying or performing any spiritual activity.

The anchor scripture in the Holy Bible Christians used for this law as written by Apostle Paul is 1 Corinthians 11 : 2 – 16.

Now, let us look at this portions of the bible with KJV and NIV to see if the Bible really restricted women from going to church or performing any spiritual activities with their “head” or “hair” uncovered.

1 Corinthians 11 : 5 -6 "5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. 6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered. " - (KJV).

“5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is the same as having her head shaved. 6 For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head." – (NIV)

Again let's look at verses 13 – 15 of the scripture.

“13 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered? 14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? 15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering." – (KJV)

“13 Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, 15 but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering.” – (NIV)

From the above scriptures, the Bible made it clear that a woman who performs any spiritual activity with her “head” uncovered have dishonored her head therefore dishonor her creator. Also the hair of a woman is the woman’s glory and the Bible have made it clear that her “hair” is for the covering of her “head”.

My question now is; did the Bible command women to cover their “hair” while praying? NO.

There’s no place in the Bible that says a woman should cover her “hair” while praying. Please note the two English words “Head” and “Hair”. In the scriptures above, the Holy Bible has repeatedly made it clear that a woman should cover her “head” and not “hair”.

The Bible also in verse 16 of the scripture stated clearly that the long hair of a woman is her glory and for the covering of her HEAD.

Therefore, I stronger oppose the believe that it’s wrong for a woman to go to church or pray with her hair uncovered because the Bible never say so.

A Woman can pray to God with her hair open as long her head is covered with her hairs.

Source: http://brainnewsng.com/what-holy-bible-really-says-about-women-covering-their-head-to-church/
6 For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head." When you cut off the hair, aren't you exposing the head still yet. Please clarify
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by Leonbonapart(m): 6:55pm On Jul 30, 2017
BrainnewsNg:
In the Christian community all over the world there have been an age long argument among some denominations over the covering of “head” or “hair” by women when in church or when praying or performing any spiritual activity.

The anchor scripture in the Holy Bible Christians used for this law as written by Apostle Paul is 1 Corinthians 11 : 2 – 16.

Now, let us look at this portions of the bible with KJV and NIV to see if the Bible really restricted women from going to church or performing any spiritual activities with their “head” or “hair” uncovered.

1 Corinthians 11 : 5 -6 "5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. 6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered. " - (KJV).

“5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is the same as having her head shaved. 6 For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head." – (NIV)

“13 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered? 14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? 15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering." – (KJV)

“13 Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, 15 but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering.” – (NIV)

From the above scriptures, the Bible made it clear that a woman who performs any spiritual activity with her “head” uncovered have dishonored her head therefore dishonor her creator. Also the hair of a woman is the woman’s glory and the Bible have made it clear that her “hair” is for the covering of her “head”.

My question now is; did the Bible command women to cover their “hair” while praying? NO.

There’s no place in the Bible that says a woman should cover her “hair” while praying. Please note the two English words “Head” and “Hair”. In the scriptures above, the Holy Bible has repeatedly made it clear that a woman should cover her “head” and not “hair”.

The Bible also in verse 16 of the scripture stated clearly that the long hair of a woman is her glory and for the covering of her HEAD.

Therefore, I stronger oppose the believe that it’s wrong for a woman to go to church or pray with her hair uncovered because the Bible never say so.

A Woman can pray to God with her hair open as long her head is covered with her hairs.

Source: http://brainnewsng.com/what-holy-bible-really-says-about-women-covering-their-head-to-church/

how do you cover your head without covering your hair? You are just contradicting yourself
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by kkins25(m): 6:55pm On Jul 30, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
I am glad that today I better understand the culture, historical context, limited knowledge of those Hebraic people living in Northern Palestine 3000 years ago who came from a polytheistic tradition and choose Yahweh as their primary deity (as he was a war God) in their desperate goal to become a great nation.
In times of prosperity and peace, they always slipped back into polytheism. Whenever their ass was handed to them in battle by the far greater empires around them, they felt it was Yahweh punishing them for not being devoted only to him and re-affirmed their commitment to him. The Babylonian Exile cemented this for the last time and they became 100% monotheistic, out of deep regret, shame, desperation for favor. That was when they wrote most of the Old Testament to affirm this.
Once I understood their experience is THEIR experience and realized it has NOTHING to do with MY experience, nor should I put THEIR experience above that of any other culture as ABSOLUTE truth, it was very freeing.
A people's epic retelling of their "Birth of a Nation", often with a mythological mix of fantastical events with bits of actual history, is JUST THAT. It is sad it has been given prominence to the point of erasing other people's cultures and their ancestral stories, because of Christian colonialism.
you have spoken the truth.
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by kkins25(m): 6:58pm On Jul 30, 2017
nwakaibeya1:
John 5,30>Today is Sunday of history & geography teaching & fashion sermons&falling people down in churches &stories upon stories that don't empower humanbeigns spiritually by comedy, story telling pastors&prophets for spiritually blind Bornagain followers & church goers?bornagains & church goers enjoy it & continue to shout go deeper, prophesy, pastor ride on & after all the razzmatazz, you still remain in evil family&occult wickedness & evil marine bondages&can't sleep at night& witches & wizards feast on them without mercy and evil neighbors and landlords and evil people can't fear you because you have no power& pastors &prophets &apostles continue to use bornagains& church goers to make merchandise of their bellies without giving them empowerment & liberation&most importantly give followers PEACE that ,Jesus Christ promised to give to those who come to him?Again see Jeremiah 5.21,22 Jeremiah 12 10 you must help yourself &Seek for unbelievable power and receive it, which is LIGHT,MANTLE & THE POWER THAT BE &this is available only if you believe there is >many just claim Bornagain without spiritual wisdom &spiritual eyes & unbelievable power & they hate change &new truth&revelation of real JESUSCHRIST even when they read that God will do a new Thing in the Bible but they still question the same God why he is doing a new Thing? What a disaster humanbeings of the world.BEHOLD kingdom of God of Jesus Christ is not for everyone,neither is heaven for everyone, devil has his own children always &devils children hate change,especially the ones masquerading as BORNAGAINS who hate truth&good change with passion& pretend, they are those we call human CHAMELEONS,we have spoken again & those who have ear let them hear &investigate from JESUS CHRIST if indeed they know JESUSCHRIST #who can battle with God of justice & the power that be?remember this is authority & truth&revelation& power that is unbelievable to humanbeigns so it's not compulsory that you must embrace&believe us but only time will tell who is telling the truth or not as this is not like conventional bornagain &bornagain in vogue #NO & NEVER, Our own is accept the truth or perish,we dont beg human beigns to accept our truth&revelation,hence almost everyone claims to be bornagain,the same way many people claimed to know GOD more than JESUSCHRIST when Christ came before and do the forget the fact that Power talks and not empty critics and the confidence of a wise person is look before you leap Mathew 13,13-14
beautiful
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by Auki: 6:58pm On Jul 30, 2017
aribisala0:

How do you know Mary covers her hair and Jesus grows a beard?

Portraits of Jesus, Mary and many saintly individuals.

I have never seen Jesus portrait or in movies with clean shave like current Pope or Mary like most Christian ladies.
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by aribisala0(m): 7:00pm On Jul 30, 2017
Auki:

Portraits of Jesus, Mary and many saintly individuals.

I have never seen Jesus portrait or in movies with clean shave like current Pope or Mary like most Christian ladies.

Portraits What does that mean? Exactly?What is the history of these portraits? Do they reflect reality or the agenda of the portrayer?
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by avaa(m): 7:06pm On Jul 30, 2017
ChristineC:
you should leave everyone to their "delusions" and don't disturb others regurgitating your own delusion. research told of how humans evolved from apes but are yet to tell us how apes came to be or why apes no longer become humans in 2017. there are 1001 concepts unexplained by science but it doesn't matter anyway.
doesn't matter who believes the gospel or not. when we all die and there's a life after death then we'll all know, and if not then that's the end.

Lol. You obviously have little to no idea what the theory of evolution is, else you wont ask why apes no longer turn to humans as if it were a magic show.

There are hundreds, if not more phenomena, unexplainable by science, yet, but considering the history of both methods, scientific and hasty conclusion which is the forte of religion, I'd be safer pitching my tent with science.

Like Sam Harris once said, "I would challenge anyone here to think of a question upon which we once had a scientific answer, however inadequate, but for which now the best answer is a religious one".

Over two thousand years and the best evidence ever provided is "when you die" and you have the guts to term me delusional.
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by unitedsurv: 7:09pm On Jul 30, 2017
BrainnewsNg:

your just probabaly ignorant or maybe you just choose to be foolish

op use your brain n think even without the holy spirit ministering to you how can you cover your head without hair nd vice versa undecided

may senses locate you this week.

Revelation 22vs 19 And if anyone removes any of the words from this book of prophecy, God will remove that person's share in the tree of life and in the holy city that are described in this book

2 Likes

Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by ricsman(m): 7:12pm On Jul 30, 2017
BrainnewsNg:

Same to you dear
Hello dear, note this that when u aren't doing anything spiritual, your head is covered by your hair..... hence your head is ALWAYS covered by your hair.... Now the Bible says WHEN YOU PRAY.... I will end here because even with common sense you know what I want to say next. thanks
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by avaa(m): 7:13pm On Jul 30, 2017
Even though it was way out of point and having no connection with the topic, or my comment, I merely chose to reply your quote for the purpose of education ChristineC.

Anyone can choose to believe in delusions, half truths, complete lies or whatever tickles their fancy, it is a free world. What you should do is make it private, you know, like taking a s.hit, or banging your partner, but the moment you make it public, except contrary opinions and in some cases, serious bashing. Only ridiculous ideas need the much shielding religious ones demand.

Tueh.
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by megabyte2(f): 7:20pm On Jul 30, 2017
You're contradicting yourself, how can you cover your head without covering your hair. You just be misquoting the bible
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by sambisa5: 7:24pm On Jul 30, 2017
obagangan:
some people will wake-up with fake doctrine from fake pastors to start there own preaching without allowing the holy spirit to interpret the word of God to them. even Muslim women pray with there head covered.

mumu Christian
if muslim woman cover their head while praying, does it now mean muslim and christain women are now the same?
Face your religion and stop putting your mouth in what doesn't concern you.

Mumu islam
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by alolatee(m): 7:29pm On Jul 30, 2017
BrainnewsNg:

In addition bro, they are to cover so because of angels(i hope u know angels come in the old testament as men disguised remember that Hebrews13 says we should attend to visitors cause some strangers and visitors could appear as men in angelic bodies....an example is Philip vanishing after attending to the Ethiopian Eunuch).We should rather think of offending God not angels.Paul usually say i but not the Lord, i have no special commandment from God and in that scripture he never said God gave him permission.
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by Amberon11: 7:52pm On Jul 30, 2017
Focus your own religion then. We Christians are not complaining.
adelumolo:
Confusion in christianity. What of women preaching? Walahi, this religion is built on weak foundation.

Tunde
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by mayblow: 8:06pm On Jul 30, 2017
This is heresy. Your understanding of the scriptures is shallow. You should be a pupil of the Scriptures and not a teacher. This is appaling!

[/quote]
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jul 30, 2017
The Bible is clear on this na, women cover your hair when praying or prophesying. What does it take to cover your hair when praying, it's not as if you would pray all day. After prayers or dismal from the assembly of brethren you can open your hair because it's not a sin.
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by nairanaira12: 8:22pm On Jul 30, 2017
ymee:
Did Mary open her head?

����Meanwhile
Contact me for...your any of these
SERVICES
1. Desktop-publishing
2. Web designing/training
3. Home tutor
4. Online registration
5. Corporate training
6. Software Training
7. Graphics designing
8. systems repair, installation and troubleshooting etc
babs4realscience@yahoo.com

They don't see Mary as important, so don't use her as example.

But you can use Pastor oritsejafo's wife as example and they will hail you.
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by Esdb3: 8:47pm On Jul 30, 2017
BrainnewsNg:

is hair extension your hair
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by Montaque(m): 8:55pm On Jul 30, 2017
shadeyinka:

Does this same interpretation work for a man?

If I get you right, a man must not cover his head means that he must be bald!?

Read the verses before the one we are considering. He talked about men with long hair and how it is not in accordance with their custom. These things are matters of Jewish custom and I don't know why we are strict about it as if we are in the orientals. He talked about men and how he expects their head covering to be like, before he talk about that of women.
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by Montaque(m): 8:59pm On Jul 30, 2017
larenzoid08:

So you mean all these our women with attachments & Peruvian weavons have this as hair covering?

What your difficulty is is the attachment and Peruvian hair. Hardly is a woman's hair without "attachment". Please let's talk about serious kingdom issues, not covering of hair. Paul said their should be no contention on it as it is not a doctrine, just his revered opinion. It's not a universal principle. The Peruvian hair was on someone's head, just like the clothe u may be putting on now was somelse else's before u bought it.
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by BrainnewsNg(f): 9:06pm On Jul 30, 2017
twosquare:
Be careful with the words of Paul. This topic has been explicitly explained over and over on NL....Surprised it is being regurgitated again. That verse speaks of hierarchy of spiritual authority.

Yes it has been treated before on NL but some new members and visitors are still coming to Nairaland periodically

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by BrainnewsNg(f): 9:08pm On Jul 30, 2017
fasterwell:

Orderlines is the number one cosmic law

No matter how you and your pastors tries to twist the truth, God cannot be twisted

I never quoted any Pastor but the Bible
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by BrainnewsNg(f): 9:10pm On Jul 30, 2017
Fearlez:
The covering of the head isn't by the hair.

You conveniently overlooked the the excerpt above: " if the woman be not covered, let her be shorn or shaven!

So the Bible clearly meant the hair and not the head.

Please understand that verse very well. What the Bible meant is; It is a thing of reproach for a woman's hair to be shave off her head entirely and thus she should keep her hair to cover her head
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by BrainnewsNg(f): 9:12pm On Jul 30, 2017
Rahym001:
sister, you are misinterpreting the bible meet ur pastor for advise

my love can i have your own view or interpretation of the above scripture
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by BrainnewsNg(f): 9:18pm On Jul 30, 2017
trinity11:
Make una undstd the OP

What the Op is trying to say is very simple

If you as a woman has hair, then u dnt need to worry abt covering it,

But if you barb African queen,(Moromoro) then you need to cover it.

Op am I correct
kontinuuuu o

Very brilliant way of explaining the verse 6 of the scripture

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by Vicolan: 9:20pm On Jul 30, 2017
BrainnewsNg:

Its physical. Why I laid emphasis on the head its because people mistaken the head for hair

You getting it all wrong..How on earth will u cover ur head without ur hair.......... U r very funny
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by lovetruth(m): 9:21pm On Jul 30, 2017
theologically it is paul's opinion which we believe is in spirit when he says it but come to luk at it women shuld cover their hair/head bt if ur faith is otherwise no problew
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by irynterri(f): 9:23pm On Jul 30, 2017
Montaque:

I am yet to know what you have against his jnterpretation of the verses. The advice was to cover head, not hair. A woman with a grown hair has her head already covered.
so the women of those days were on skin cut that was why they told them to cover their hair abi?
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by irynterri(f): 9:30pm On Jul 30, 2017
BrainnewsNg:

Please understand that verse very well. What the Bible meant is; It is a thing of reproach for a woman's hair to be shave off her head entirely and thus she should keep her hair to cover her head
that's not what it means, you don't practise it does not mean you should twist it,Jewish women those days had long hair, St. Paul was only stating that a woman not covering her hair while praying is synonymous to a woman with low cut(shaven) which is taken as a taboo or shame in Jewish tradition even to this day,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Pastor Precious Iginla Wife, Blessing Makes U-Turn Over Abusive Marriage (Video) / Tornado Destroys House, But Prayer Closet Still Standing In Alabama / Is Pornography Ideal In Christian Marriages??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.