Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,087 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:19 AM

Best Explanation/analogy Of God And Eternity To An Atheist - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Best Explanation/analogy Of God And Eternity To An Atheist (957 Views)

4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist / Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? / My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best Explanation/analogy Of God And Eternity To An Atheist by ajoguegbe(m): 6:33am On Jul 30, 2017
In a mother’s womb were two babies.
One baby asked the other:
“Do you believe in life after delivery?”
The other replied, “Why, of course. There has to be something after delivery. Maybe we are here to prepare ourselves for what we will be later.”

“Nonsense”
said the first.
“There is no life after delivery.
What kind of life would that be?”

The second said, “I don’t know, but there will be more light than here. Maybe we will walk with our legs and eat from our mouths. Maybe we will have other senses that we can’t understand now.”

The first replied, “That is absurd.
Walking is impossible. And eating with our mouths? Ridiculous! The umbilical cord supplies nutrition and everything we need. But the umbilical cord is so short. Life after delivery is to be logically excluded.”
The second insisted, “Well I think there is something and maybe it’s different than it is here. Maybe we won’t need this physical cord anymore.”

The first replied, “Nonsense. And moreover if there is life, then why has no one ever come back from there? Delivery is the end of life, and in the after - delivery there is nothing but darkness and silence and oblivion. It takes us nowhere.”

“Well, I don’t know,” said the second, “but certainly we will meet Mother and she will take care of us.”
The first replied “Mother?
You actually believe in Mother?
That’s laughable. If Mother exists then where is She now?”

The second said, “She is all around us. We are surrounded by her. We are of Her. It is in Her that we live. Without Her this world would not and could not exist.”

Said the first: “Well I don’t see Her, so it is only logical that She doesn’t exist.”
To which the second replied, “Sometimes, when you’re in silence and you focus and listen, you can perceive Her presence, and you can hear Her loving voice, calling down from above.”

The Bible says: "For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead ." May this beautiful analogy help someone find Christ. Amen

Now what are you waiting for? Go to THE SOURCE and share it on your facebook, twitter and Linked to make it go VIRAL, you may be helping someone have a rethink

2 Likes

Re: Best Explanation/analogy Of God And Eternity To An Atheist by ajoguegbe(m): 6:38am On Jul 30, 2017
Consider the following scripture:
The Fool has said in his heart there is no God. (Psalms 14:1) After reading this with the knowledge you now after birth wouldnt you conclude that the first guy is a FOOL that's how God looking from eternity sees an atheist.
Re: Best Explanation/analogy Of God And Eternity To An Atheist by SELFmade7(m): 6:59am On Jul 30, 2017
Choii clamp down

Nice piece op, thanks
Re: Best Explanation/analogy Of God And Eternity To An Atheist by SELFmade7(m): 7:00am On Jul 30, 2017
Choii clamp down
Re: Best Explanation/analogy Of God And Eternity To An Atheist by Ehiscotch(m): 7:18am On Jul 30, 2017
Well done. I am impressed. But there are core atheist that no matter the analogy or explanation you give them they will always dispute it as shallow and weak.

Most atheist believe that theists are unintelligent, gullible and ignorant.

They believe everything has a logical explanation and that science explains everything and anything that hasn't been explained will be resolved in the future.

Some of them would say "How can you believe that a man in the middle east died for the world - for you in Africa?"

They box up all the activities of church goers as Christians and ignore the fact that not every body who claims to be a christian is not a christian.

Neither should every behaviour of cleric be summed up to be the general behaviour of Christians.

So OP you made a very commendable analogy but many of them needs Jesus himself to appear before them before they believe. Although some will still doubt it even if its before their eyes.

IT IS WELL.
Re: Best Explanation/analogy Of God And Eternity To An Atheist by Liveair: 7:20am On Jul 30, 2017
Really? Flawed!
Am glad you didn't claim they were made/created by 'mother', but only '...we are surrounded by her...'
However, some mothers die during delivery...maybe, that's the story of your God.
Well, they were evolved from FATHER - nature, not your God who is just one of many.

Only regret is we won't be there after death to remind you that we told you so, cos we'll all remain dead.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Best Explanation/analogy Of God And Eternity To An Atheist by hopefulLandlord: 7:26am On Jul 30, 2017
OP, your analogy is very flawed and biased
Re: Best Explanation/analogy Of God And Eternity To An Atheist by ajoguegbe(m): 7:32am On Jul 30, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
OP, your analogy is very flawed and biased
Can you explain why you think its biased?
Re: Best Explanation/analogy Of God And Eternity To An Atheist by hopefulLandlord: 7:43am On Jul 30, 2017
ajoguegbe:

Can you explain why you think its biased?
the premise of your analogy is based on the fact that atheists are making a claim about afterlife which is actually wrong, atheists are simply asking you what proof you have of your claims of afterlife

the analogy should go more like this

Baby1: There's definitely life after this place

Baby2: what makes you so sure? you've got any proof before making this assertion? what evidences do you have of this claim? how are you so sure this is not all there is? WHERE WERE WE BEFORE WE GOT INTO THIS WOMB WE ARE IN? TELL ME ABOUT LIFE BEFORE WOMB

Baby1: I have faith there's life after this place even if I have no idea where I was before here

Baby2: that's not a proof of anything, faith in this situation is absolutely meaningless as any claim and every claim can be accepted based on faith

Baby1: You need to have the same faith as me otherwise you'll suffer throughout your life after this womb, accept my own belief and enjoy in the next life

Baby2: now you're trying to coerce and threaten me into sharing your faith based claims? what makes you so sure whatever we even believe while in this place has any effect on our afterwomb if it exists? what makes you so sure your believing what you believe would not make you suffer while I enjoy forever for not joining you?

notice that baby2 is simply scrutinising the claims of Baby1 and didn't make any claim of his own....

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Best Explanation/analogy Of God And Eternity To An Atheist by JackBizzle: 7:50am On Jul 30, 2017
I see this same old illogical post made time and time again.

1) babies can't reason

2) it is a failed analogy as well all know and have documented the process of birth. But no one has been to the other side of death and come back to document it.

1 Like

Re: Best Explanation/analogy Of God And Eternity To An Atheist by avaa(m): 8:09am On Jul 30, 2017
Ehiscotch:
Well done. I am impressed. But there are core atheist that no matter the analogy or explanation you give them they will always dispute it as shallow and weak.

Most atheist believe that theists are unintelligent, gullible and ignorant.

They believe everything has a logical explanation and that science explains everything and anything that hasn't been explained will be done in the future.

Most atheists? Where did you get this stats? Bureau of imaginary statistics?

The analogy isn't that impressive. There are in fact certain god explanations that are solid and impressive but then again, aren't they all hypotheses?

Now coming back to the analogy.

First, I'm curious about how the first baby know that there is such a thing as delivery. Has it seen anyone get delivered? I guess you missed that part. Us on the other hand are certain of the fact that babies get delivered after a certain period in the mother's womb so using that example is actually cunning. The same question goes to the theist, how did you come about this belief in afterlife? What part of you exists after death when the brain responsible for consciousness is dead and rotten?

The first baby goes on again to talk about eating with the mouth, walking with the legs and e.t.c. This position right here is one of certain knowledge. First, the baby points to parts of the human body that actually exists and is empirically provable, so it is quite logical to assume that those could serve those functions, unfortunately, this is not the case when compared to real life except of course you say we are not gonna die and rot.

The first baby yet again talks about the existence of mother/god and I couldn't help but notice the mischief in the writer's comparison of god to the universe, or is that your position? That god is simply the universe?

Lastly, I should mention that the second baby doesn't represent the atheist, at least not the ones I know. The atheistic position is one of skepticism, one of unbelief to allow for a clear-headed search for knowledge uncompromised by puny sentiments. I have no absolute knowledge of the existence of an afterlife, the theist who proposes same has no convincing evidence too, except the words of a book written thousands of years ago. The debate for afterlife is really not convincing considering its poor premise and the flimsy evidences presented so far in its defense.

What part of us goes to the afterlife after we are long dead and buried? The soul? What is a soul? Does it exist without the brain which is responsible for all consciousness? Can you prove this?

The worst part is the criteria for this afterlife. All you gotta do is believe. But there are tons of afterlives to choose from and not choosing yours automatically makes me guilty of the punishment it proscribes (hell). The same applies to the many others. How then do I make the right choice when all I rely on is sheer faith. hnmm...

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Best Explanation/analogy Of God And Eternity To An Atheist by NPComplete: 8:19am On Jul 30, 2017
OP this is a false analogy that tries to employ cunning that deceptively equates a posteriori knowledge with a priori knowledge.

A much better analogy will be this way. There are 1000 children in a womb. One doesn't believe in life after birth. But 999 others claim to know exactly what life after birth will be.
Some claim the mouth will be used for flying after birth.
Some claim they will be able to go out of the womb and still reenter numerous times as they wish.
Some there will no sorrow and pain after birth. They will only be singing and rejoicing everyday.
Some even claim that the birth will occur in less than 3 weeks because one of the eggs that didn't become a baby went to the sky and told them he is coming soon.
Then there are those who don't give rat's arse what is in the next life. It doesn't mean they won't be given birth to either.

And even this analogy I have just given doesn't capture the real situation enough. Things are more complicated than this.
When will u guys realise that God doesn't care who believes in Him or not. He is not a megalomaniac like your pastors and religious leaders are. If he wanted blind worship he would have created mindless zombies.
The true expression of God's love is Him leaving us to do our thing and given us laws that we can discover through science to improve ourselves and our world.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Best Explanation/analogy Of God And Eternity To An Atheist by Ranchhoddas: 8:47am On Jul 30, 2017
ajoguegbe:
The other replied, “Why, of course. There has to be something after delivery. Maybe we are here to prepare ourselves for what we will be later.”

“Nonsense”
said the first.

The second said, “I don’t know, but there will be more light than here. Maybe we will walk with our legs and eat from our mouths. Maybe we will have other senses that we can’t understand now.”

Walking is impossible. And eating with our mouths? Ridiculous! The umbilical cord supplies nutrition and everything we need. But the umbilical cord is so short. Life after delivery is to be logically excluded.”
The second insisted, “Well I think there is something and maybe it’s different than it is here. Maybe we won’t need this physical cord anymore.”

The first replied, “Nonsense. And moreover if there is life, then why has no one ever come back from there? Delivery is the end of life, and in the after - delivery there is nothing but darkness and silence and oblivion. It takes us nowhere.”

“Well, I don’t know,” said the second, “but certainly we will meet Mother and she will take care of us.”

The second said, “She is all around us. We are surrounded by her. We are of Her. It is in Her that we live. Without Her this world would not and could not exist.”

Said the first: “Well I don’t see Her, so it is only logical that She doesn’t exist.”
To which the second replied, “Sometimes, when you’re in silence and you focus and listen, you can perceive Her presence, and you can hear Her loving voice, calling down from above.”

The Bible says: "For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead ." May this beautiful analogy help someone find Christ. Amen

Now what are you waiting for? Go to THE SOURCE and share it on your facebook, twitter and Linked to make it go VIRAL, you may be helping someone have a rethink
When I saw your title, I was expecting you to blow our minds.
Firstly, this analogy has been used on this forum countless times.
Secondly, after birth the mother does not punish one child for doubting. She carries both babies and rewards them with the same amount of love and care regardless of their conceptions or misconceptions about life after delivery.

Verdict: Your analogy is wack.

4 Likes

Re: Best Explanation/analogy Of God And Eternity To An Atheist by CAPSLOCKED: 9:09am On Jul 30, 2017
ajoguegbe:

“Nonsense”
said the first.

THIS FURTHER PROVES THAT JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER RELIGION, YOUR RELIGION IS SHIIT.
Re: Best Explanation/analogy Of God And Eternity To An Atheist by donnffd(m): 9:27am On Jul 30, 2017
I would advise atheists to stop arguing with many theists, because majority of them dont understand the basics of logic, critical thinking and skepticism because by definition, their religion discourages those ideas...you are not truly a christian or a muslim if you question or are skeptical.

So how do you aim to have a reasonable conversation with such an individual?

I am not saying all theists are like that, but majority are...

Save yourselves some trouble and only engage the more reasonables ones

NB: A wise man is the man who knows what he doesnt know...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best Explanation/analogy Of God And Eternity To An Atheist by hopefulLandlord: 5:39am On Jul 31, 2017
donnffd:
I would advise atheists to stop arguing with many theists, because majority of them dont understand the basics of logic, critical thinking and skepticism because by definition, their religion discourages those ideas...you are not truly a christian or a muslim if you question or are skeptical.

So how do you aim to have a reasonable conversation with such an individual?

I am not saying all theists are like that, but majority are...

Save yourselves some trouble and only engage the more reasonables ones

NB: A wise man is the man who knows what he doesnt know...

this is nice
Re: Best Explanation/analogy Of God And Eternity To An Atheist by NairalandSARS: 7:19am On Jul 31, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

the premise of your analogy is based on the fact that atheists are making a claim about afterlife which is actually wrong, atheists are simply asking you what proof you have of your claims of afterlife

the analogy should go more like this

Baby1: There's definitely life after this place

Baby2: what makes you so sure? you've got any proof before making this assertion? what evidences do you have of this claim? how are you so sure this is not all there is? WHERE WERE WE BEFORE WE GOT INTO THIS WOMB WE ARE IN? TELL ME ABOUT LIFE BEFORE WOMB

Baby1: I have faith there's life after this place even if I have no idea where I was before here

Baby2: that's not a proof of anything, faith in this situation is absolutely meaningless as any claim and every claim can be accepted based on faith

Baby1: You need to have the same faith as me otherwise you'll suffer throughout your life after this womb, accept my own belief and enjoy in the next life

Baby2: now you're trying to coerce and threaten me into sharing your faith based claims? what makes you so sure whatever we even believe while in this place has any effect on our afterwomb if it exists? what makes you so sure your believing what you believe would not make you suffer while I enjoy forever for not joining you?

notice that baby2 is simply scrutinising the claims of Baby1 and didn't make any claim of his own....

Gbosaa!
Re: Best Explanation/analogy Of God And Eternity To An Atheist by Dalamama: 7:28am On Jul 31, 2017
ajoguegbe:
Consider the following scripture:
The Fool has said in his heart there is no God. (Psalms 14:1) After reading this with the knowledge you now after birth wouldnt you conclude that the first guy is a FOOL that's how God looking from eternity sees an atheist.

Your God is a fool.
Re: Best Explanation/analogy Of God And Eternity To An Atheist by Wilgrea7(m): 8:33am On Jul 31, 2017
i am not an atheist... but the premise of the op is wrong..

assuming there are two babies in the womb and then another baby is conceived and then gets aborted and the first baby claims the third baby is the mother's incarnate and if the second baby doesn't believe the third baby is the mother then the second baby will suffer after birth.. i used only the Christian analogy and didn't go into a general sense... believing in an afterlife is not hard... the nature of the afterlife and the criteria is where the problem lies...

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Psychedelics, Drugs, & The Bible: Fallen Angel Sorcery / Snippet: Concrete Reasons Why The Noahs Ark Story Is False / Why Does Judaism And Christianity Interpret The Hebrew Bible Differently?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.