Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,168 members, 7,811,393 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:50 AM

Christians Must Apologize To Gays-pope Francis - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christians Must Apologize To Gays-pope Francis (480 Views)

Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? / WHAT CHRISTIANS MUST KNOW ABOUT ISLAM / Seven Deadly Sins Christians Must Never Commit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Christians Must Apologize To Gays-pope Francis by alextrendy: 6:24am On Jul 31, 2017
CHRISTIANS MUST APOLOGIZE TO GAYS-POPE FRANCIS http://alextrendy.com/christians-must-apologize-gays-pope-francis
Re: Christians Must Apologize To Gays-pope Francis by Nobody: 9:09am On Jul 31, 2017
alextrendy:
CHRISTIANS MUST APOLOGIZE TO GAYS-POPE FRANCIS http://alextrendy.com/christians-must-apologize-gays-pope-francis
What's the use of that link if you can't post the full story here
Re: Christians Must Apologize To Gays-pope Francis by Ishilove: 9:41am On Jul 31, 2017
Pope Francis has reiterated his relatively tolerant stance towards LGBT ( Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender) people, offering new details about a 2013 incident where he responded to a question about gay priests by saying “who am I to judge?”

In a new book set to be published on Tuesday, Pope Francis is quoted talking to an Italian journalist about the famous quip, which triggered a firestorm of media coverage and speculation over whether the pontiff would alter the Catholic Church’s firm opposition to same-sex relationships. According to the National Catholic Reporter, the book cites Francis as he clarifies his theological justification for taking a more tolerant stance towards LGBT people.

“On that occasion I said this: If a person is gay and seeks out the Lord and is willing, who am I to judge that person?” the pope says in the new book, The Name of God is Mercy. “I was paraphrasing by heart the Catechism of the Catholic Church where it says that these people should be treated with delicacy and not be marginalized.”

“I am glad that we are talking about ‘homosexual people’ because before all else comes the individual person, in his wholeness and dignity,” Francis says. “And people should not be defined only by their sexual tendencies: let us not forget that God loves all his creatures and we are destined to receive his infinite love.”

“I prefer that homosexuals come to confession, that they stay close to the Lord, and that we pray all together,” Francis also says, in a possible reference to the Church’s historical stance that same-sex relationships are sinful. “You can advise them to pray, show goodwill, show them the way, and accompany them along it.”

The new quotes effectively repeat what is often described as Francis’ shift in “tone” regarding LGBT issues. The pontiff has never contradicted the Catholic Church’s official opposition to LGBT relationships, which describes same-sex “inclinations” as “objectively disordered.”

But Francis has dramatically shifted the way the church approaches the issue, articulating a far more inclusive vision while meeting privately with a Spanish transgender man, dining with LGBT prisoners, and openly embracing a gay couple in Washington, D.C. Francis’ attitude contrasts sharply with that of his predecessor Pope Benedict XVI, who was vocally opposed to LGBT relationships and called same-sex marriage a threat to the “future of humanity itself.”

(1) (Reply)

Eye Witness : “bishop’s” Step Mother Narrates How It All Happened At Ozubulu / Priest Quits Catholic Church, Reason Will Make You Wonder / Open Heaven Daily Devotional(mon. 21/08/2017) The Temple Of The Holy Spirit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.