Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,749 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:06 AM

Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? (26339 Views)

Beyond Dancing In Church, Christians Must Develop Personal Relationship With God / WHAT CHRISTIANS MUST KNOW ABOUT ISLAM / Do Muslims Celebrate White Weddings Too? Isn't It For Christians? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Soleymania(m): 5:02am On Sep 09, 2018
Weddings are usually a ceremony of great joy but today the sorrow that follows some wedding ceremonies raises questions in ones heart.

Who decreed that Christians must have white weddings which we have now christened church or Christian marriage.

How many marriages were conducted in the sanctuary or temple in Bible days? Should we really spend so much to get married?

We have heard stories of people arranging some part of their marriage ceremony on credit in the hope that they will make enough from the spraying of money during the bridal dance to offset their loans.

I remember attending a wedding where the DJ refused to turn on the microphone because he had not been fully paid for his service at the reception. We pleaded and pleaded but he would not budge. Someone had to go to an ATM to get the cash for him before the reception could begin.

What type of marriage ceremonies were carried out in Bible days? How were these ceremonies conducted? Does having your marriage ceremony in church add anything to your marriage?

Let's share notes and thoughts on this.

47 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by hisgrace090: 5:09am On Sep 09, 2018
The bible.

Puting on white cloth is not part of it.
Instead of the church, the wedding Jesus attended was done in the village square, caana in Galilee to be precise.

And before Jesus turned water to wine people were already drunken with the wine presented by the celebrant. John2:10.

18 Likes

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by oyonu(m): 6:19am On Sep 09, 2018
My brother na ignorance dey worry people. There is nothing like white abi na church wedding, all that one na waste of money and resources. Marriage is when a man & a woman agree to be each other companions and the parents consent to it. It doesn't have to be flamboyant. Alot of marriages in the Bible are just simple marriages where the father just hand over the daughter to the prospective suitor eg Leah, Rechael and Jacob.

181 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Katier00(f): 6:24am On Sep 09, 2018
But nobody is holding a gun to your head that you must wed in the church

57 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by internationalman(m): 6:32am On Sep 09, 2018
I kukuma don't like wearing suit. So u know what that means

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Nobody: 7:19am On Sep 09, 2018
Katier00:
Thanks for REPLYING him.
Anyway, my man leave wetin people go dey talk.
Just carry your girl, do traditional with court.
Except your lady no gree.
She can also wear her WHITE GOWN to the court if she deems so. Most times na white Gown and Facebook be women problem.

A lady is more interested in what people will say about her, than what pleases her.
They always want to please others at their own detriment.

148 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by cassidy1996(m): 7:21am On Sep 09, 2018
africans too like copy copy

26 Likes

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Nobody: 7:39am On Sep 09, 2018
cassidy1996:
africans too like copy copy
Don’t mind them

14 Likes

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Liveair: 7:42am On Sep 09, 2018
Well, Africans are still brain washing themselves, even after the white man has left.

24 Likes

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by abc115: 12:01am On Sep 21, 2018
grin

If you have attended over 100 weddings in your life and are still single, you are not different from a canopy.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Nobody: 12:01am On Sep 21, 2018
marriage is just all about understanding.. not white gown and suit

1 Like

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Shortyy(f): 12:01am On Sep 21, 2018
I don't know baby, but I'm wearing that white veil on my day! kiss

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Nobody: 12:02am On Sep 21, 2018
White wedding is the tradition of the west lipsrsealed

Why can't we all embrace traditional wedding system.

My assertion is not applicable to a certain region where the bride price is enough to buy landed properties tongue

Please don't quote me ooo, I'm not feeling fine embarassed

I no kuku mention name

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by BabaCommander: 12:04am On Sep 21, 2018
But what has Christianity got to do with high cost of marriage?

12 Likes

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Yambee: 12:04am On Sep 21, 2018
My marriage will be trade by barter.

I give her parents some salt.

They give me their daughter.

8 Likes

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by erico2k2(m): 12:05am On Sep 21, 2018
EVILFOREST:

Thanks for REPLYING him.
Anyway, my man leave wetin people go dey talk.
Just carry your girl, do traditional with court.
Except your lady no gree.
She can also wear her WHITE GOWN to the court if she deems so. Most times na white Gown and Facebook be women problem.

A lady is more interested in what people will say about her, than what pleases her.
They always want to please others at their own detriment.
Have you seen anybody go to court to get wed b4??

3 Likes

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by SheIsElle(f): 12:06am On Sep 21, 2018
hisgrace090:
The bible.

Instead of the church the wedding Jesus attended was don't in the village square.

And before Jesus turned water to wine people were already drunken with the wine presented by the celebrant.
Really? What chapter of the Bible? Maybe the wedding was not at the village square but the bible never said that the wedding took place in the synagogue.

12 Likes

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Benekruku(m): 12:06am On Sep 21, 2018
Oyinbo culture they adopted.

6 Likes

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Britstar: 12:08am On Sep 21, 2018
The Catholic church will forbid you from partaking in certain sacraments until you're wedded in Church.

7 Likes

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by BabaCommander: 12:08am On Sep 21, 2018
Soleymania:
Weddings are usually a ceremony of great joy but today the sorrow that follows some wedding ceremonies raises questions in ones heart.

Who decreed that Christians must have white weddings which we have now christened church or Christian marriage.

How many marriages were conducted in the sanctuary or temple in Bible days? Should we really spend so much to get married?

We have heard stories of people arranging some part of their marriage ceremony on credit in the hope that they will make enough from the spraying of money during the bridal dance to offset their loans.

I remember attending a wedding where the DJ refused to turn on the microphone because he had not been fully paid for his service at the reception. We pleaded and pleaded but he would not budge. Someone had to go to an ATM to get the cash for him before the reception could begin.

What type of marriage ceremonies were carried out in Bible days? How were these ceremonies conducted? Does having your marriage ceremony in church add anything to your marriage?

Let's share notes and thoughts on this.
Your post is a classic poor attempt to tarnish the Christian faith. That marriage celebration is costly has nothing to do with the Christian faith. Marriage celebration is mostly a community affairs hence the cost. It's evident in all cultures and religions.
Even the biblical example you cited, there were complaints of the wine not being enough which necessitated the Lord to step in. Or do you think people were complaining for fun?

22 Likes

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Mandynews(f): 12:08am On Sep 21, 2018
In Rev. 19:7-9 the Bible says, "Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honor to Him; for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife has made herself ready. And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white; for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints. And he said unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he said unto me, These are the true sayings of God."

11 Likes

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Nobody: 12:11am On Sep 21, 2018
hisgrace090:
The bible.

Instead of the church the wedding Jesus attended was don't in the village square.

And before Jesus turned water to wine people were already drunken with the wine presented by the celebrant.

"" Instead of the church the wedding Jesus attended was don't in the village square""

what is this?

"" The bible ""

Pls bring scriptures from bible as proof.

5 Likes

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Apina(m): 12:13am On Sep 21, 2018
Christianity is not devoid of culture and traditions. What you call white wedding is but a European way of getting married which has come to be accepted by many around the world due to culture integration. What matters to CHRISTIANITY is the VOWS, not the wedding dress, food or pomp in which you choose to celebrate not minding anything contrary you might hear from whomever.

Having your marriage in the church is a necessity. It's you asking The people present to stand as witness to whatever promises you make to your spouse before God.

There was a thread about a couple on front page sometime this year who had their marriage on a Thursday afternoon at Mass in a Catholic church and gave those present, who were not more than 30 there and had come for their personal worship rice and coke as guest. So whoever chooses to go overboard is only doing his or herself, it's not by force to invite the whole village undecided

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Nobody: 12:14am On Sep 21, 2018
Katier00:

The church is holding bomb sef on top head of anyone who doesn't want to do white man's wedding

13 Likes

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by bigocean(m): 12:15am On Sep 21, 2018
The worst is even the priests saying God does not recognize a union until they have done church/white wedding.
Fat lie! Deception at it's peak. God established the Marriage institution in a way that once a man and woman decides within themselves and gets the blessings of both parents to be together; marriage has already happened o. Any other thing they decide to do, they are doing for themselves oo.

To op post, my fiance should know that after our traditional marriage, the only reason I might even consider going to court is because of the certificate which I might need for a few transactions; if not na traditional be all for me.

39 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by oshe11: 12:21am On Sep 21, 2018
Mandynews:
In Rev. 19:7-9 the Bible says, "Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honor to Him; for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife has made herself ready. And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white; for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints. And he said unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he said unto me, These are the true sayings of God."
Lovely.....

Mind You OP, the church didnt ask anyone to do extravagant reception anywhere.....
U can receive ur guests at home and provide what u have or dnt do reception at all, church wudnt persecute you for that

10 Likes

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by KanwuliaExtra: 12:23am On Sep 21, 2018
It is not a decree. . . . Only a matter of CHOICE. kiss

Never had one and will never have one.
Allergic to priests, pastors and churches!

If e gree you do. . . Fire on!
Don’t invite me abeg!
I go see una for reception hall. kiss

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by chuka5000(m): 12:24am On Sep 21, 2018
op
its like u have calculated the expenses involved in ur up coming wedding and u are look for a way out.

take it easy bro
almost everybody experienced same

4 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Apostle Suleman "Heals" Lady Who Got Blind During NYSC In Kwara (Pics, Video) / There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe / The Meaning Of I Will Prepare A table Before You In The Presence Of Your Enemies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.