Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,420 members, 7,954,662 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 05:48 AM

Contract Job In Uk Or Back To Naija? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Contract Job In Uk Or Back To Naija? (1404 Views)

Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? / He Wants To Abandon His Masters Degree Programme For A Contract Job In Bank. / 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Contract Job In Uk Or Back To Naija? by Antara: 7:39pm On Feb 09, 2010
Hi Guys, A friend of mine needs some contribution about his present situation, He bagged a UK masters degree in business management in january 2010 and got a job with lloyds tsb (call center job- 1 year contract) in the uk, he barely has work experience previously, he was considering returning to naija before this job came, his coming to naija is based on hope that some day some thing postive willl appen, Now he is torn between staying in the UK get some experience, do 1 or 2 certifications before goin back or jst jettison this job offer and get back to naija to search, Please your candid opinion will be appreciated,
Re: Contract Job In Uk Or Back To Naija? by tkb417(m): 7:47pm On Feb 09, 2010
how do u leave a job to come serachin in 9ja
how is he sure he'll get a job here

you are on ur own o (OYO lo wa)
Re: Contract Job In Uk Or Back To Naija? by AjanleKoko: 9:37pm On Feb 09, 2010
shocked shocked Leave a job ke?
Your friend had better grab that job and get some experience o! Naija ke?
Re: Contract Job In Uk Or Back To Naija? by jaybee3(m): 9:40pm On Feb 09, 2010
leave certainty for uncertainty
na real wa oh. grin grin grin
Re: Contract Job In Uk Or Back To Naija? by shilling(f): 7:42am On Feb 10, 2010
Antara:

Hi Guys, A friend of mine needs some contribution about his present situation, He bagged a UK masters degree in business management in january 2010 and got a job with lloyds tsb (call center job- 1 year contract) in the uk, he barely has work experience previously, he was considering returning to naija before this job came, his coming to naija is based on hope that some day some thing postive willl appen, Now he is torn between staying in the UK get some experience, do 1 or 2 certifications before goin back or jst jettison this job offer and get back to naija to search, Please your candid opinion will be appreciated,

Obvious question. But, since you asked, it isn't that obvious to you - tell your friend to stay put, gaining experience is really important.
Re: Contract Job In Uk Or Back To Naija? by Tmoni(m): 12:46pm On Feb 10, 2010
Tell him to do the Llyods TSB job for the year

Get some "UK Experience", then think about relocating back to naija

Its definately a no- brainer,
Re: Contract Job In Uk Or Back To Naija? by Antara: 7:21pm On Feb 10, 2010
Thanks Guys for your contribution, It has really helped, cheers
Re: Contract Job In Uk Or Back To Naija? by DisGuy: 9:43pm On Feb 10, 2010
Are you really sure this your friend concentrated well in his BUSINESS MANAGEMENT degree?
this is what they called jamb question!

He should go to nigeria, they are paying big boy money there, you can buy a house in Lekki within six months with no bills unlike UK and you get to answer to Oga Sir everywhere you go tongue
Re: Contract Job In Uk Or Back To Naija? by joxiri: 6:50pm On Feb 11, 2010
@ poster
this job your friend has got with lloyds tsb call center is it just an admin job
cos i dont see how your friend will gain experience from working in a call centre when he does not exaclty need a degree to work in a call centre
Re: Contract Job In Uk Or Back To Naija? by ant01: 7:19pm On Feb 13, 2010
i agree with joxiri, , but if he chooses to stay then cool, but on your cv you have to spice it up, as it is kinda equivalent to customer service advisor, you get me.
you can also search for 9ja jobs from here, there is a website careersinafrica.com you can visit. There is a summit coming up in may. The website will give you all the details. i have been there 3 times and got offers with top companies in nigeria on all 3 occassions but couldn't travel for one reason or another, give it ago,
joxiri:

@ poster
this job your friend has got with lloyds tsb call center is it just an admin job
cos i dont see how your friend will gain experience from working in a call centre when he does not exaclty need a degree to work in a call centre
Re: Contract Job In Uk Or Back To Naija? by joxiri: 1:13am On Feb 14, 2010
@amt01
I understand that careers in africa summit is very good, when is their next summit
Re: Contract Job In Uk Or Back To Naija? by Antara: 3:01pm On Feb 14, 2010
Thanks @joxiri and @ant01 , to answer the question of if it is an admin job, Yes it is, My friend says it entails taking inbound calls from bank customers on different kinds of enquiry, though he has not started but from research this is what the job entails, but for now I had even advised him that since he has notin in the offing presently he could start with that for now,
Re: Contract Job In Uk Or Back To Naija? by joxiri: 3:30pm On Feb 14, 2010
MMH well theres no rush back to niger, no graduate i know from uk has actually gotten a job since they went back to nig
well thats me maybe i dnt know a lot of people
but i have a friend who does a simialr job for a contracted out company doing several banks and he is like on 17k which is not bad for an admin job
but ur friend should also remember that he cant really use the job to switch to tier 1 hsmp cos its mite be less than 20k which is minimum i think
well all these are assumptions am making
dunno full story
Re: Contract Job In Uk Or Back To Naija? by Antara: 3:55pm On Feb 14, 2010
@ joxiri, U re right obviously taking the job offer which is 15k P.A cannot qualify him for HSMP, but like i said previously i had advised working for a while gaining experience, do certifications then return home ,
Re: Contract Job In Uk Or Back To Naija? by candylips(m): 12:32pm On Feb 16, 2010
Call center job . Thats your typical dead end job. He is better off husling in nigeria cheesy
Re: Contract Job In Uk Or Back To Naija? by ant01: 11:42pm On Feb 19, 2010
joxiri:

@amt01
I understand that careers in africa summit is very good, when is their next summit

the next summit is in may, but you have to register asap it is an only invitation event, based on your application - cv, you will get invited by companies for interviews,
Re: Contract Job In Uk Or Back To Naija? by Evr98: 3:58pm On Feb 25, 2010
Hi

I would advise u remain in the UK and gain better experience, call center in my opinion does not amount to much experience when searching for work as its basic customer service.
Stay back, get better experience, preferably in your field as well as any relevant certification that would help boost your cv.

I have an MSc from the UK came back in 2008 cos i got married and my husband is based here and its been a tall order getting a decent job in Nigeria.
your chances are better with more international experience.
Re: Contract Job In Uk Or Back To Naija? by Hotstepper(f): 3:17am On Feb 26, 2010
Your friend is better off to take the job now and start looking for sumthing in Nigeria and if he gets one, he can then move back. One thing about Nigerians that skools in UK is dat once they r done with Masters with no experience, they want to run back thinking they r going to get that six figure job, Good luck to him
Re: Contract Job In Uk Or Back To Naija? by AjanleKoko: 3:44pm On Feb 26, 2010
With a masters degree in business management, options in the UK will be limited right now.
Options in Nigeria is almost nonexistent, unless the person is extremely lucky.
Note I said 'lucky' not 'connected'. Connections may not guarantee anything right now.
Re: Contract Job In Uk Or Back To Naija? by DisGuy: 4:46pm On Feb 26, 2010
Hotstepper:

Your friend is better off to take the job now and start looking for sumthing in Nigeria and if he gets one, he can then move back. One thing about Nigerians that skools in UK is dat once they r done with Masters with no experience, they want to run back thinking they r going to get that six figure job, Good luck to him

Theres usually not enough time to compete for jobs that will extend their visa and secondly competition here is fierce the 'advantage of an 'international degree' is not there and relevant experience is usually non-existant considering most come immediately after completing their first degree; most nigerian student will rather fall back and take advantage of their networks back home if they have any

(1) (Reply)

Professional It Certification In Abuja / 6 Reasons Why Slow And Steady Wins The Race / Future Of A Pharmacist In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.