Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,803 members, 7,820,807 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:13 PM

Thinking Of Getting A Generator? Here's A Buying Guide - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Thinking Of Getting A Generator? Here's A Buying Guide (27647 Views)

Caption This Picture Of PHCN staff Working With A Generator Set. / 3 Simple Steps To Stop Thinking Negative Thoughts / A Nigerian invents a generator that uses water (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thinking Of Getting A Generator? Here's A Buying Guide by Encrypted: 3:25pm On Aug 02, 2017
Power is an integral sector of every nation and one of the key factors of the success or failure of a business. While Government allocate enormous resource to the generation, transmission, and distribution of electricity for consumption , some countries still experience constant power outage that can be very consequential for Individuals as well as Small and Medium Enterprise. This loss can be human , material or both.

Individuals and businesses prepare for power outage by purchasing electric generators , otherwise known as power generators.

A power generator has two principal parts. The first is an engine head that burns fuel into power. The second part is a generator head that converts the power generated into electricity.

The Various Categories

In selecting a generator for use, it is important to know the various categories of generators available in the market. The categories are as follows:

Generators for recreational use :

Generators in this category are used for camping, in caravans and mobile homes, mobile businesses as well as small events. Inverter generators are the most frequently purchased in this class. These generators produce ultra-clean voltages so you can power sensitive electronics like phones, tablets, TVs and other smaller devices. These generators are portable, lightweight and economical.

Generators  for Mobile Trade and Business :

These class of generators serve construction sites, small farm holdings, rural property, welding and power/cutting tools and small-scale mining activities. These generators run on either petrol or diesel; they are sturdy, fitted with steel frames and condenser style alternators. They have features suitable for heavy and resistive power loads.

Generators for Emergency backup /Stationary purpose :

These are larger generators that provide substantial power supply for commercial purposes as required by large plants, hospitals, military installations , e.t.c. These generators are mostly diesel-powered and run in three phases. They are moved by forklifts or cranes and mostly installed by highly trained professionals.

What To Know Before You Buy

Based on the categories mentioned above , here are some tips to guide you when shopping for a generator.

Know your Power requirements/priorities :

Generators are purchased based on the amount of wattage generated. Before settling for any generator, it is important to state how many devices, bulbs, and lights you plan to power at once or in aggregation.

Typical values for wattage for primary devices start at 5,000 watts. A few examples include the refrigerator (approximately 600 watts), sump pump (800 to 1,500 watts), small heaters (1,500 watts), window air conditioner (1,000 watts), lights (60 watts), and tablets (60 to 300 watts).

Under this category, the reliability of the generator matters, especially during peak usage periods.

Select a class option :

You can either go for a stationary/standby generator installed permanently outside or the portable variety. While the former powers large machinery and equipment, the latter is more suited for smaller devices and non-commercial purposes.

Consider the fuel  type :

Generators use different fuel sources to generate electricity. These sources include petrol (gasoline), diesel, liquid propane and Natural Gas. Each source has its pros and cons.

For example, diesel generators are less costly to maintain. Petrol is more readily available and affordable. Hence a large number of users opt for them. Propane and natural gas generators are less common than both gasoline and diesel.

You should factor in their availability and affordability before making your decision.

Go for Functionality and Features :

Your generator should be versatile enough to offer more than the production of electricity. There should be added features of the generator which gives more value for money. Such features include:

Automatic Start - With automatic start, the stationary generator goes on—without your intervention and in the advent of a power outage to prevent loss of data or any efforts.

Electric Start - You should have the option of starting your generator with the push of a button, in addition to the traditional means of pull-starting the engine.

Alternative Fuel Usage - Go for a generator that can run on one fuel source, e.g. petrol generators, but they can be adapted to run on either propane or natural gas. This capability can be achieved with the use of conversion kits.

Tyres - For the portable class of generators, go for brands that have tires attached to them. This feature eases the movement of the generator from place to place, especially from where you would like to set up the power supply to the storage space.

Fuel Gauge - A fuel gauge helps you determine the fuel level at a glance. This device is usually installed on a conspicuous part of the generator. With this, you can get updates on when to start thinking of refilling your fuel storage.

Low-Oil Cut-off - With this feature, when the lubricating oil falls below minimum levels, the sensor shuts down the generator to prevent damage to the engine i.e. engine knocking.

In addition to the tips above, there are additional important features that can aid in the selection of the right generator. They include :

Noise level:

A very noisy generator can be very annoying. Search for the dBA (decibel) rating on the generator and go for brands that offer sound proof noise protection.

Fuel tank capacity and usage rating:

Go for a generator that is fuel efficient and can serve you for long period of time, especially during prolonged power outages.

Electric remote start:

This feature is essential in situations where you want to start your generator remotely or in the case of rainfall or inclement weather.
This feature might come with a pricy option, but more money just naturally provides more convenience.

Safety Features:

Your generator should have safety features. These features include Earth Leakage Protection and Weatherproof Outlets. This comes in handy particularly at constructions sites and in wet conditions.

Source : http://specspricenigeria.com/generator-buying-guide/

cc : Lalasticlala

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Thinking Of Getting A Generator? Here's A Buying Guide by NwaAmaikpe: 4:34pm On Aug 02, 2017
shocked

I don't use generators in any of my houses but I have constant power supply.

Luckily for me my house in the town is near a telecom mast,

And the one in the village is next to a bank.
All I did, was to get a good electrician and asked him to explain the phrase 'tapping current'

54 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Thinking Of Getting A Generator? Here's A Buying Guide by Nobody: 4:34pm On Aug 02, 2017
Nigeria is the highest importer of gen, from japan, china,germany, uk etc. our politicians are shareholders of these companies. reasons we can never have constant light.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thinking Of Getting A Generator? Here's A Buying Guide by Mac2016(m): 4:35pm On Aug 02, 2017
People should be enlightened also about the right place to situate your generator while it is in operation to avoid being choked to death by Carbon Monoxide. Nice write-up! Even tho I didn't read it grin.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thinking Of Getting A Generator? Here's A Buying Guide by EmekaBlue(m): 4:36pm On Aug 02, 2017
Only in the Generator Republic of Africa aka Nigeria or Zoogeria they still talk about Generator...chai

12 Likes

Re: Thinking Of Getting A Generator? Here's A Buying Guide by makazona(m): 4:36pm On Aug 02, 2017
h
Re: Thinking Of Getting A Generator? Here's A Buying Guide by Deapexboy(m): 4:36pm On Aug 02, 2017
K
Re: Thinking Of Getting A Generator? Here's A Buying Guide by coolgeorge: 4:36pm On Aug 02, 2017
Good read
Re: Thinking Of Getting A Generator? Here's A Buying Guide by Kkbugatti(m): 4:36pm On Aug 02, 2017
Okay surly noted cheesy don't need one because I live in Aso villa.. thank you though... wink
Re: Thinking Of Getting A Generator? Here's A Buying Guide by Trustisaburden: 4:36pm On Aug 02, 2017
Nonsense thread

1 Like

Re: Thinking Of Getting A Generator? Here's A Buying Guide by sobmos(m): 4:36pm On Aug 02, 2017
If you need to buy Generator, please buy only Thermocool. Been using it for almost two years now, did servicing just once in 2 years. Still working perfectly... smiley

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thinking Of Getting A Generator? Here's A Buying Guide by seunny4lif(m): 4:37pm On Aug 02, 2017
Tiger
I pass my Lordlord grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Thinking Of Getting A Generator? Here's A Buying Guide by daclint(m): 4:39pm On Aug 02, 2017
Op why na , I for use this mb browse xvideos now

1 Like

Re: Thinking Of Getting A Generator? Here's A Buying Guide by bigplayerz(m): 4:39pm On Aug 02, 2017
@OP ...I am not even thinking of getting a generator...the harm it has done to our environment is enough...Please you should be encouraging Solar power,Inverter. Wisdom is KEY

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Thinking Of Getting A Generator? Here's A Buying Guide by klarry79: 4:40pm On Aug 02, 2017
Contact me to get an inverter/solar power solution instead.

Generators are heading the way of the dinosaurs (noisy pollutants)

Solar/Inverters are cleaner, maintenance free and energy is free and renewable.

you won't regret it.

Re: Thinking Of Getting A Generator? Here's A Buying Guide by richidinho(m): 4:40pm On Aug 02, 2017
Buhari is turning this country to somalia

2 Likes

Re: Thinking Of Getting A Generator? Here's A Buying Guide by born2wyn(f): 4:41pm On Aug 02, 2017
This is helpful,got an Elepaq 2200 yesterday.
Re: Thinking Of Getting A Generator? Here's A Buying Guide by dfrost: 4:44pm On Aug 02, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

All I did, was to get a good electrician and asked him to explain the phrase 'tapping current'

grin cheesy Kai. Yaro, kana hauka? grin
Re: Thinking Of Getting A Generator? Here's A Buying Guide by bigplayerz(m): 4:44pm On Aug 02, 2017
grin grin grin..i go will put your number on truecaller to know your real name just incase you`re a scammer
klarry79:
Contact me to get an inverter/solar power solution instead. Generators are heading the way of the dinosaurs

Re: Thinking Of Getting A Generator? Here's A Buying Guide by SLIDEwaxie(m): 4:47pm On Aug 02, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Shut the fucck up o jare! You wretched cow!
Re: Thinking Of Getting A Generator? Here's A Buying Guide by femi4: 4:48pm On Aug 02, 2017
I use solar, can't stand the noise from generator

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thinking Of Getting A Generator? Here's A Buying Guide by fashrola(m): 4:50pm On Aug 02, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Radiation fall on you there

2 Likes

Re: Thinking Of Getting A Generator? Here's A Buying Guide by klarry79: 4:53pm On Aug 02, 2017
bigplayerz:
grin grin grin..i go will put your number on truecaller to know your real name just incase you`re a scammer

expecting your call grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Thinking Of Getting A Generator? Here's A Buying Guide by Kaybaba5(m): 4:53pm On Aug 02, 2017
Generator
Re: Thinking Of Getting A Generator? Here's A Buying Guide by Jaytecq(m): 4:53pm On Aug 02, 2017
anyone you are buying, just make sure its a cooper coil. Ces't fini
Re: Thinking Of Getting A Generator? Here's A Buying Guide by Nobody: 4:56pm On Aug 02, 2017
I came expecting to read something new instead I got a copy and paste piece of rubbish. Nigerians have an intimate relationship with generators and cam deliver a more coherent Narrative than this oyibo use once in a blue moon story.

Shame on the op and bigger shame on the joker that pushed this nonsense to fp.

3 Likes

Re: Thinking Of Getting A Generator? Here's A Buying Guide by KayDEAN(m): 4:57pm On Aug 02, 2017
Ok
Re: Thinking Of Getting A Generator? Here's A Buying Guide by seniorkachion(m): 4:57pm On Aug 02, 2017
sobmos:
If you need to buy Generator, please buy only Thermocool. Been using it for almost two years now, did servicing just once in 2 years. Still working perfectly... smiley
Bought my own Thermocool Bobo May 2013,and have never serviced it. Starts with one pull. It costs more than the Asian models, but worth the money.

2 Likes

Re: Thinking Of Getting A Generator? Here's A Buying Guide by klarry79: 5:02pm On Aug 02, 2017
seniorkachion:

Bought my own Thermocool Bobo May 2013,and have never serviced it. Starts with one pull. It costs more than the Asian models, but worth the money.

but still noisy and pollutes the atmosphere.
Switch to civilization where we use solar and inverter.
you will discover a new peace of mind

2 Likes

Re: Thinking Of Getting A Generator? Here's A Buying Guide by Chukazu: 5:02pm On Aug 02, 2017
Instead of Generator... Shouldn't we be talking about renewable energy like solar and wind?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Many Faces Did You See / NGO's And Charitable Organizations Worth Supporting in Nigeria / Seun - Seun Osewa, Nairaland Forum Website Administrator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.