Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,622 members, 7,823,743 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:17 PM

History Of Ika People(umunede) - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / History Of Ika People(umunede) (27580 Views)

The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni / Ika People / The Ika People{igbanke}. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by EzePromoe: 8:03pm On Oct 16, 2012
Good job, SS Igbos. All you spend your time doing is rewritting your history just as my Ikwerre kins are also doing. I'm ashamed of you all.
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:26am On Oct 17, 2012
Abagworo:

Ikas speak like Isu people in intonation and call Umu with a nasal feel Umun. So its more or less "Umun-Ede".

You and this your "Isu" recreation! Please,stop making sh.iit up!
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by Abagworo(m): 7:49am On Oct 17, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

You and this your "Isu" recreation! Please,stop making sh.iit up!

You should stop criticizing unconstructively because knowledge is what makes you wise. Isu people speak deeply through the nose and so does Ika. Its very easy for you to verify than to falsely assume.
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by Dede1(m): 3:02pm On Oct 17, 2012
sonya4all: @dede.You are a celebrated foolish fool and a half baked educated one at that.Seeking audience.And i tell uve met the wrong person because ive got no time for scumbags like you.@andre i dnt understand u anymore are u now joining these fools? Let me know.I said i dnt wanna talk abt the subject again because nothin we say here care count on the decision of the ikas.Tnks.Im out of this thread

I do not cross words with self-acclaimed fools such as you. You, as a lowlife, auctioned away your ancestry pedigree and still have audacity to talk about education or lack thereof. I simply urge you to visit the ruins of Idu mud walls and figure if a wondrous prince will make alive through the land of Isan talk less Agbo of Igbo land.
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by ezotik: 6:58pm On Oct 17, 2012
^
why is it not surprising that it is u igbos who never left the bushes of ngwa that always have something to say? u better start thanking lugard for bringing u out those bushes instead of always whining about him.
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by ezotik: 7:03pm On Oct 17, 2012
ezeagu: The correct name of Umunede is actually Umu édè.

no, the correct name is umunede which is a combination of two words umu n'ede meaning 'carry and not fall'
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by bokohalal(m): 8:01pm On Oct 17, 2012
Andre Uweh:
@Sonya: quit putting your hand in your finger. You may not be Igbo particularly but it does not mean that Umunede and other Ika kingdoms are not Igbo. What stops you from relocating to Binin?.
FYI, Ika sons and daughters have been busy taking their rightful seats at Igbo organisations and you are here arguing how you can not be Igbo.
In one of our recent Igbo Youths UK Iri Ji festivals in London (www.icsn.co.uk), a prominent Ika Obi was the father of the day. How about that?.

A
Dede1: @OP

It is not only ridiculous but absolutely laughable that a grown man does not and can not discern his originality. If this punk was fed unfounded story about his originality, I ask him whether the time has not come for him to re-examine the missing links in such convoluted concoction.

Let us assume that this homeless Prince of Bini Kingdom wondering around was so confused that he did not remember his name. Did he also forget the Edo collective words for own children that he used that of Igbo word, “UMU”, as in UMUNEDE? When will this stupidity end among certain idiotic fellows?

You will never be Igbo because a true Igbo person would not claim ancestry to a village empire such as Bini.
Dede1:

I do not cross words with self-acclaimed fools such as you. You, as a lowlife, auctioned away your ancestry pedigree and still have audacity to talk about education or lack thereof. I simply urge you to visit the ruins of Idu mud walls and figure if a wondrous prince will make alive through the land of Isan talk less Agbo of Igbo land.

You do not have to insult the Binis/Edos to make your point.
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by EzePromoe: 8:24pm On Oct 17, 2012
Nonsense

Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by bokohalal(m): 8:34pm On Oct 17, 2012
Andre Uweh: The founder of the Yoruba race is from Egypt/Arabia. Yet Yoruba people are not Egyptians or Arabs.
The founder of the Hausa race is from Bahdad yet Hausas are not Iraqis.
If at all the founders of Umunede are Binis, does not mean that the people of Umunede are Binis.
What matters in this dispensation is not whom you were but whom you are. As a result, Umunede in today's Nigeria are Ndigbo.
Itsekiris and Igalas are not called yorubas.
Eze Promoe: Nonsense
When we cannot say anything convincing enough that is the sigh of defeat.
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by EzePromoe: 8:48pm On Oct 17, 2012
bokohalal:
When we cannot say anything convincing enough that is the sigh of defeat.

How will it be sigh of defeat. When you trace your history to a land who give no phuck about you. I don't blame them, i blame the civil war.
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by bokohalal(m): 8:59pm On Oct 17, 2012
Eze Promoe:
How will it be sigh of defeat. When you trace your history to a land who give no phuck about you. I don't blame them, i blame the civil war.
Just leave Binis/Edos out of your land grab attempt. That is my only plea.
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by ezeagu(m): 9:36pm On Oct 17, 2012
ezotik:

no, the correct name is umunede which is a combination of two words umu n'ede meaning 'carry and not fall'

http://members.tripod.com/umu_ede/nde_umuede/index.album

édè is cocoyam. It seems I was a little incorrect, as far as one translation I've seen, and the n is for umu na ede, meaning 'People/children and cocoyam', but I suspect the na was added after it was spelt Umunede since the locals call is Umu-ede. This name is similar to Rumuji, I think, which I believe (not certain) means the people of yam in Rivers state.
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by EzePromoe: 9:36pm On Oct 17, 2012
bokohalal:
Just leave Binis/Edos out of your land grab attempt. That is my only plea.
WTF are you talking about? BTW who mentioned Bini or Edo here?
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by ezotik: 9:50pm On Oct 17, 2012
ezeagu:

édè is cocoyam. It seems I was a little incorrect, as far as one translation I've seen, and the n is for umu na ede, meaning 'People/children and cocoyam', but I suspect the na was added after it was spelt Umunede since the locals call is Umu-ede. This name is similar to Rumuji, I think, which I believe (not certain) means the people of yam in Rivers state.

the locals call it umu-nede not umu-ede.

n'ede means 'not fall' and umu means 'carry'. so umu-n'ede is 'carry and not fall'

just like ekpenede means 'leopard that does not fall' ekpen - leopard, n'ede - not fall
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by ezeagu(m): 10:13pm On Oct 17, 2012
ezotik:

the locals call it umu-nede not umu-ede.

n'ede means 'not fall' and umu means 'carry'. so umu-n'ede is 'carry and not fall'

just like ekpenede means 'leopard that does not fall' ekpen - leopard, n'ede - not fall

That would have passed my level if I hadn't know that the intonation of Umu in Umu-ede is exactly the same as umu meaning children in Ika-Umunede language. Umu ede is pronounced precisely with the high tone U, then m, low tone u, high tone e, d, low tone e. I would like to see an Umunede native argue this.

By the way, carry in Ika language is bu, and fall is da. So if it was carry and not fall my best translation would be Bunodakọ or something like that.

I've given you an example of indigenous people writing it Umu and ede in the link.
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by ezotik: 10:31pm On Oct 17, 2012
ezeagu:

That would have passed my level if I hadn't know that the intonation of Umu in Umu-ede is exactly the same as umu meaning children in Ika-Umunede language. Umu ede is pronounced precisely with the high tone U, then m, low tone u, high tone e, d, low tone e. I would like to see an Umunede native argue this.

I've given you an example of indigenous people writing it Umu and ede in the link.

so it is me that do not know the intonation of umu-nede, a place where we always stopped for food stuff on our way to ogwashi as a child? the locals call it umu-ne-de

and in that ur same link, it is also written as umunede

http://www.umunede.org/nde_umuede/index.album/nde-umuede?i=15

'Sons and Daughters of Umunede'

By the way, carry in Ika language is bu, and fall is da.

actually fall in bini is 'de', that is why n'ede is not fall. what is fall in ur igbo?

So if it was carry and not fall my best translation would be Bunodakọ or something like that.

then start pushing for a name change of umunede and ikanize the name instead ruining the original meaning.
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by bokohalal(m): 10:54pm On Oct 17, 2012
Eze Promoe:
WTF are you talking about? BTW who mentioned Bini or Edo here?

Did you just start posting without reading the preceding posts?
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by ezeagu(m): 3:57pm On Oct 18, 2012
ezotik:

so it is me that do not know the intonation of umu-nede, a place where we always stopped for food stuff on our way to ogwashi as a child? the locals call it umu-ne-de

and in that ur same link, it is also written as umunede

http://www.umunede.org/nde_umuede/index.album/nde-umuede?i=15

'Sons and Daughters of Umunede'

actually fall in bini is 'de', that is why n'ede is not fall. what is fall in ur igbo?

then start pushing for a name change of umunede and ikanize the name instead ruining the original meaning.

Agbor people also write their name as Agbor and pronounce it that way, same as Owerri, Onitsha, Ibusa, and even Ogwashi even though the name is Ogwa Nshi. Your attempt at Bini-cising the Ika name of Umuede was a fail. Now you guys can move on with the thread.
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by ezotik: 4:27pm On Oct 18, 2012
ezeagu:

Agbor people also write their name as Agbor and pronounce it that way, same as Owerri, Onitsha, Ibusa, and even Ogwashi even though the name is Ogwa Nshi..

bini people write their name as bini and pronounce it that way, so i dont see how that changes anything. and btw, why did u not offer the meaning of fall in ur igbo?

Your attempt at Bini-cising the Ika name of Umuede was a fail. Now you guys can move on with the thread

fail ke? ur attempt at digging a link to claim that it is written as umuede by the locals is what was a fail. what i did was the offer u the meaning of umunede and drive it into ur head how the locals pronounce it. now, u can take it and move on.
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:02pm On Oct 18, 2012
T
ezeagu:

Ede is not only a cocoyam but also a name of person in Anambbra and Enugu areas.There is a famous rainmaker in my town know as "Ede" and there is also the very known "fr. Ede". "Umunede" means children of "Ede".

1 Like

Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by ezotik: 5:30pm On Oct 18, 2012
from children of cocoyam to children of ede? lol

'ede' as a word means day as can be seen in the name 'osayanede' meaning god owns the day.

so umunede can also mean carry the day.

1 Like

Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:37pm On Oct 18, 2012
ezotik: from children of cocoyam to children of ede? lol

'ede' as a word means day as can be seen in the name 'osayanede' meaning god owns the day.

so umunede is can also mean carry the day.

So,what's your point exactly ? The website of you posted says "nde umunede". Does "nde" also mean "people" in bini " ?
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by ezotik: 5:46pm On Oct 18, 2012
the history of the people did not state that the historical figure 'ede' was from anambra or enugu...so i don't care about the recent igbo influence..i only care about the name umunede and i have broken it down in its various forms with meanings and it has nothing to do with children of cocoyam.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by pazienza(m): 6:46pm On Oct 18, 2012
ezotik: the history of the people did not state that the historical figure 'ede' was from anambra or enugu...so i don't care about the recent igbo influence..i only care about the name umunede and i have broken it down in its various forms with meanings and it has nothing to do with children of cocoyam.
Another blind arguement.
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by pazienza(m): 6:58pm On Oct 18, 2012
Actually,i suspect that the true name is umun-ede (children of ede). Ika people have a way of adding 'n' at the end of regular igbo words,thats the way their dialect is, compare this to an igbo tribe that would add 'r' as a prefix.

UMU= children (igbo nzugbe)
UMUn= ika dialect
rUMU= ikwerre
oUMU( written as omu ie olilo udaume)= some igbo tribes.
Same damn thing.
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by pazienza(m): 7:06pm On Oct 18, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

So,what's your point exactly ? The website of you posted says "nde umunede". Does "nde" also mean "people" in bini " ?

Yea,am suprised that ika use "nde" instead of "ndi",cos i know that some igbo clans in imo state use "nde" too. And also,i personally know a family from enugu state that goes by the surname "ede", i guess "ede" is one of those names that ancient igbos answered before the advent of the chi names,it reminds me of the name "awa".
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by ezotik: 7:40pm On Oct 18, 2012
pazienza:

Yea,am suprised that ika use "nde" instead of "ndi",cos i know that some igbo clans in imo state use "nde" too. And also,i personally know a family from enugu state that goes by the surname "ede", i guess "ede" is one of those names that ancient igbos answered before the advent of the chi names,it reminds me of the name "awa".

so this is the eye opening argument? keep fooling urself. the ede in question was not from enugu. u igbos can also attempt to rewrite it. and why won't ede be so ancient to u igbos that u don't know the meaning apart from calling him cocoyam? lol
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by ezotik: 7:47pm On Oct 18, 2012
binis say 'alaghodaro' meaning 'the way forward'

so if they decide to name a land alaghodaro, u igbos from nnewi will come and say the prefix ala is ur igbo for land?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by Abagworo(m): 8:23pm On Oct 18, 2012
ezotik: binis say 'alaghodaro' meaning 'the way forward'

so if they decide to name a land alaghodaro, u igbos from nnewi will come and say the prefix ala is ur igbo for land?

You are quite wrong in your assumptions. There are words in Edo that sounds same with Igbo but different meanings. Igbos know that very well. The problem is revisionism and backing it with false claims. An example is Eze Chima which people are now saying is a corruption of Enogie Ikhime. I don't know how those two relate. Someone from Aboh opened a revisionist thread earlier but unfortunately for him Aboh unlike Ika had early contacts with Europeans and their history is not hidden.
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by ezotik: 9:17pm On Oct 18, 2012
Abagworo:

You are quite wrong in your assumptions. There are words in Edo that sounds same with Igbo but different meanings. Igbos know that very well. The problem is revisionism and backing it with false claims. An example is Eze Chima which people are now saying is a corruption of Enogie Ikhime. I don't know how those two relate. Someone from Aboh opened a revisionist thread earlier but unfortunately for him Aboh unlike Ika had early contacts with Europeans and their history is not hidden.

there is nothing wrong in my assumption. there is no way u igbos will not say alaghodaro is not land of ghodaro as with the case of umunede. and the revisionism is actually from u igbo folks. when the people demselves tell their history the way the know it, it is u igbos who impose ur own revised history on them and try to force it down their throats. then later it is u same igbos that will start whining about self-determination and how every group shuld be given that right.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by ezotik: 9:22pm On Oct 18, 2012
just take this thread for example, who were the first folks to flood the thread with ur revised assumptions and chatting all sorts of nonsense? it was u igbo folks who are not from that community. infact non of u are from the general 'anioma' area.

1 Like

Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by ezeagu(m): 11:14pm On Oct 21, 2012
ezotik:

there is nothing wrong in my assumption. there is no way u igbos will not say alaghodaro is not land of ghodaro as with the case of umunede. and the revisionism is actually from u igbo folks. when the people demselves tell their history the way the know it, it is u igbos who impose ur own revised history on them and try to force it down their throats. then later it is u same igbos that will start whining about self-determination and how every group shuld be given that right.

Your arguments have no basis. For you to suggest that Umu in Ika doesn't mean children of, when much of Ika are under Umu eze chima, just makes all your arguments even more of a flop. The proposed Bini origin of the name doesn't even deny that Umu means 'child of', instead that ede is a Benin prince. Your arguments using alaghodoro or whatever is laughable since that has nothing to do with Umuede, children and the cocoyam.

ezotik: just take this thread for example, who were the first folks to flood the thread with ur revised assumptions and chatting all sorts of nonsense? it was u igbo folks who are not from that community. infact non of u are from the general 'anioma' area.

You don't know where anyone is from. Let us see who knows more about Anioma languages.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ibrahim Chatta Umar Is Dead! Etsu Patigi Dies / 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo / Tor Tiv Breaks With Tradition, Declines To Be Sworn-in Before “traditional God”

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.