Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,043 members, 7,835,516 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:14 AM

Just Like These Companies, Etisalat Will Never Be Called 9mobile In Nigeria - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Just Like These Companies, Etisalat Will Never Be Called 9mobile In Nigeria (4413 Views)

No Network Reception On 9mobile In Enugu are they on strike? / How To Opt Out Of Etisalat (9mobile) Data Plan Auto-renewal / $1.2bn Debt: New Investors Take Over 9mobile In 6 Months (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Just Like These Companies, Etisalat Will Never Be Called 9mobile In Nigeria by OkaforGeorge(m): 12:06pm On Aug 04, 2017
Someone should go and tell Etisalat that no matter how they try no one will call them 9mobile, they can go and ask NEPA.

There are many other companies they can ask too.

Imagine going to 10 recharge card shops and telling the seller that he should give you "9mobile N200" recharge card only to hear "You say Etisalat how much?" would you continue calling it 9mobile?

Since the foundation of our dear country, Nigeria that has been struggling for change, some things cannot just change.

Below are some companies in Nigeria that can tell Etisalat how it works over here.

NEPA
NEPA "Never Expect Power Always" (NEPA), "No Electrical Power at All; Please Light Candle" (NEPA plc), switched to "Please Hold a Candle Now" (PHCN) following the 2013 divestiture of the federal government from PHCN, the company was divided into separate companies or entities called Local Electric Distribution Companies or Local Distribution Companies (LDC). Each company will be responsible for handling electricity distribution in each state or region.

Since all these changes, no one has called them what they are, LDC is still NEPA.

OMO
OMO was first registered in the United Kingdom in 1908 and launched in Africa in 1953 (before many othere detergents) making it the oldest laundry powder brand in the country. The acronym OMO which is a household name stands for “Old Mother Owl”. But then came Ariel, Waw, So Klin, Sunlight, Elephant, Miss Bimbo, etc. All of them are "OMO" asked your neighbors, lol.

JIK
Peroxide bleach was introduced in the 1950s. The first to arrive in Nigeria was JIK, was it? Then came Hypo another one is what I don't have in mind but Hypo took his father's name. Almost unurprisingly, some market women think they’re still selling JIK o!

INDOMIE
Indomie is a brand of instant noodle by Indofood Indomie. Indomie is produced in many countries, also it is has been produced in Nigeria since 1995 where it is a popular brand and has the largest instant noodle manufacturing plant in Africa. Indomie's offsprings; Tummy-Tummy, Dangote, Chikki, Mimee, Honeywell, Golden Penny, and Dangote took the name of their grandfather.

COWBELL MILK (Promasidor)
Founded in 1979 by Robert Rose, who left the United Kingdom in 1957 for Zimbabwe to pursue his African dream. Cowbell was the first milk powder distributed across the vast African continent, providing access to affordable milk to everyone in Africa. Today Cowbell is sold in the majority of countries across the African continent. Since heaven knows when, Nigerians refused to call Peak, Dano, Lahdah, Nestlé and Dangote their real names.

GALA SAUSAGE ROLL
Gala sausage roll is the mother of all sausage rolls in Nigeria. Everyone took Gala's surname.

MAGGI STOCK CUBE
What seems to be the bus stop of all seasonings. Maggi has been my mom's favorite seasoning since I was born and I guess it's your mom's too. But then surfaced Royco, Knorr, Onga and the rest of them. I'm not a kitchen guy, you know.Sorry Etisalat, your baptism is null and void.

Which other companies did I miss out? Comment the names for us!

UPDATED: 05-08-17. Thanks to sweet Nairalanders who commented
Source: http://www.johnkingsblog.com/2017/08/etisalat-never-called-9mobile-nigeria.html?m=1

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Just Like These Companies, Etisalat Will Never Be Called 9mobile In Nigeria by EvilMetahuman: 12:11pm On Aug 04, 2017
That nepa and indomie own
It will never change cheesy

Every noodle na indomie.

14 Likes

Re: Just Like These Companies, Etisalat Will Never Be Called 9mobile In Nigeria by OkaforGeorge(m): 12:13pm On Aug 04, 2017
EvilMetahuman:
That nepa and indomie own

It will never change cheesy

Every noodle na indomie.
I'm telling you. I'm just helping to cry for Etisalat here
Re: Just Like These Companies, Etisalat Will Never Be Called 9mobile In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:00pm On Aug 04, 2017
Wat of Gala?

In some places Bama too

I know it's not abt brand name but many people still call vegetable oil groundnut oil.

6 Likes

Re: Just Like These Companies, Etisalat Will Never Be Called 9mobile In Nigeria by OkaforGeorge(m): 3:29pm On Aug 04, 2017
I'm telling you. Gaa too!
Beckino:
Wat of Gala?

In some places Bama too

I know it's not abt brand name but many people still call vegetable oil groundnut oil.
Re: Just Like These Companies, Etisalat Will Never Be Called 9mobile In Nigeria by venal: 3:36pm On Aug 04, 2017
you short listed the common of all "MAGGI". to the extent people have gone far as using it as a common noun for other seasoning cubes eg. royco maggi.

10 Likes

Re: Just Like These Companies, Etisalat Will Never Be Called 9mobile In Nigeria by bobo65(m): 3:51pm On Aug 04, 2017
venal:
you short listed the common of all "MAGGI". to the extent people have gone far as using it as a common noun for other seasoning cubes eg. royco maggi.

Maggi follow wella

As per Nepa, even if them rename am to Buhari, 10 generations to come will still be screaming "up nepa"

1 Like

Re: Just Like These Companies, Etisalat Will Never Be Called 9mobile In Nigeria by tsleazy(m): 3:58pm On Aug 04, 2017
Ogbeni, the only name on your list that makes your point is NEPA

The rest are not helping your point at all.

8 Likes

Re: Just Like These Companies, Etisalat Will Never Be Called 9mobile In Nigeria by ItzChinnex(m): 6:15pm On Aug 04, 2017
What is this op saying self? 0n your list, It's only NEPA that makes sense. Others are rubbish and out of point.. Nigerians can cope with the name 9mobile.Take a typical example of Celtel changed to Zain and now Airtel. OP your points are rubbish and out of the confined of your topic.

5 Likes

Re: Just Like These Companies, Etisalat Will Never Be Called 9mobile In Nigeria by Olarababy(f): 6:33pm On Aug 04, 2017
exactly
Re: Just Like These Companies, Etisalat Will Never Be Called 9mobile In Nigeria by FreshShavedBalls(m): 7:42pm On Aug 04, 2017
Out of all the things you mentioned, it is only NEPA that is in the same situation with Etisalat.
Re: Just Like These Companies, Etisalat Will Never Be Called 9mobile In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:51pm On Aug 04, 2017
ItzChinnex just took what I was about to say out of my mouth and hurled it at the Op. Op how come we don't call Airtel Econet or Vodacom or Vmobile or Celtel or Zain? Please explain. Thanks in anticipation of your immense cooperation.
Re: Just Like These Companies, Etisalat Will Never Be Called 9mobile In Nigeria by IamBornToWin(f): 8:53pm On Aug 04, 2017
One aboki entered my shop and said madam give me Zan N100. I asked what is Zan? He said recharge card. Lol, from Zain to Celtel and then to Airtel but people still call it Zain.

1 Like

Re: Just Like These Companies, Etisalat Will Never Be Called 9mobile In Nigeria by ryfoz(m): 9:21pm On Aug 04, 2017
While it remains true that Nigerians can and have indeed adapted to some changes of products or Company name the fact remains that the OP took great pains to point this out with at least few examples.

All I have to say to contribute to this discussion is "OP gbayi" - you are mouthed jhor.

Far better than some strange threads I am seeing on Nairaland nowadays e.g is screenshot below

3 Likes

Re: Just Like These Companies, Etisalat Will Never Be Called 9mobile In Nigeria by ryd3(m): 9:40pm On Aug 04, 2017
Naa.... I guess if econet could do it.... It's just a matter of time
Re: Just Like These Companies, Etisalat Will Never Be Called 9mobile In Nigeria by guji12(m): 9:50pm On Aug 04, 2017
OkaforGeorge:
Someone should go and tell Etisalat that no matter how they try no one will call them 9mobile, they can go and ask NEPA.

There are many other companies they can ask too.

Imagine going to 10 recharge card shops and telling the seller that he should give you "9mobile N200" recharge card only to hear "You say Etisalat how much?" would you continue calling it 9mobile?

Since the foundation of our dear country, Nigeria that has been struggling for change, some things cannot just change.

Below are some companies in Nigeria that can tell Etisalat how it works over here.

NEPA
NEPA "Never Expect Power Always" (NEPA), "No Electrical Power at All; Please Light Candle" (NEPA plc), switched to "Please Hold a Candle Now" (PHCN) following the 2013 divestiture of the federal government from PHCN, the company was divided into separate companies or entities called Local Electric Distribution Companies or Local Distribution Companies (LDC). Each company will be responsible for handling electricity distribution in each state or region.

Since all these changes, no one has called them what they are, LDC is still NEPA.

OMO
OMO was first registered in the United Kingdom in 1908 and launched in Africa in 1953 (before many othere detergents) making it the oldest laundry powder brand in the country. The acronym OMO which is a household name stands for “Old Mother Owl”. But then came Ariel, Waw, So Klin, Sunlight, Elephant, Miss Bimbo, etc. All of them are "OMO" asked your neighbors, lol.

JIK
Peroxide bleach was introduced in the 1950s. The first to arrive in Nigeria was JIK, was it? Then came Hypo another one is what I don't have in mind but Hypo took his father's name. Almost unurprisingly, some market women think they’re still selling JIK o!

INDOMIE
Indomie is a brand of instant noodle by Indofood Indomie. Indomie is produced in many countries, also it is has been produced in Nigeria since 1995 where it is a popular brand and has the largest instant noodle manufacturing plant in Africa. Indomie's offsprings; Tummy-Tummy, Dangote, Chikki, Mimee, Honeywell, Golden Penny, and Dangote took the name of their grandfather.

Founded in 1979 by Robert Rose, who left the United Kingdom in 1957 for Zimbabwe to pursue his African dream. Cowbell was the first milk powder distributed across the vast African continent, providing access to affordable milk to everyone in Africa. Today Cowbell is sold in the majority of countries across the African continent. Since heaven knows when, Nigerians refused to call Peak, Dano, Lahdah, Nestlé and Dangote their real names.

Sorry Etisalat, your baptism is null and void.

Which other companies did I miss out? Comment the names for us!

Source: http://www.johnkingsblog.com/2017/08/etisalat-never-called-9mobile-nigeria.html?m=1

Una dey forget maggi..
Re: Just Like These Companies, Etisalat Will Never Be Called 9mobile In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:52pm On Aug 04, 2017
Even my 2year old nephew shouts NEPA!!! Whenever light comes on.

1 Like

Re: Just Like These Companies, Etisalat Will Never Be Called 9mobile In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:18pm On Aug 04, 2017
OkaforGeorge:

I'm sorry op but this cow
bell part is a lie. Others are true but this is a lie. Actually there is one you should instead of cowbell

Itzz

Wait for it

Wait

Wait

Here it comes

Gala:up till now there are so many sausage roll everywhere. But when you see hawkers they keep shouting buy your gala. There is biggie. High life.. All na gala nah. Even you sef still dey call biggie gala. Lol. Abi I lie?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Just Like These Companies, Etisalat Will Never Be Called 9mobile In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:51pm On Aug 04, 2017
All toothpastes are Maclean!!

2 Likes

Re: Just Like These Companies, Etisalat Will Never Be Called 9mobile In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:57am On Aug 05, 2017
tsleazy:
Ogbeni, the only name on your list that makes your point is NEPA

The rest are not helping your point at all.
True, only NEPA actually changes name, others didn't change name, they only got competitor over time.

1 Like

Re: Just Like These Companies, Etisalat Will Never Be Called 9mobile In Nigeria by falcon01: 3:15am On Aug 05, 2017
it will change just like vmobile celtel zain airtel
Re: Just Like These Companies, Etisalat Will Never Be Called 9mobile In Nigeria by DanseMacabre(m): 5:08am On Aug 05, 2017
I beg to disagree. NEPA just stuck because pronouncing 'PHCN' is quite a mouthful. '9mobile' is even easier to pronounce than 'Etisalat' and I bet you that the name will stick over time.

As some commentators already said, most other of your examples don't follow; there is a clear difference between most of those products you mentioned, hence if you go to a shop intending to buy, say, Ariel or Sunlight or So Klin detergents and ask for Omo, you will be given Omo.

Btw, do you by any chance stay in a ghetto, OP? I'm guessing yes, as that would inform your submission.
Re: Just Like These Companies, Etisalat Will Never Be Called 9mobile In Nigeria by rchilee: 5:30am On Aug 05, 2017
But you guys call Airtel and not Econnect or vmobile
Re: Just Like These Companies, Etisalat Will Never Be Called 9mobile In Nigeria by gotnel: 8:24am On Aug 05, 2017
Yes o, it is in the blood. But not really so in the corporate circle.
Re: Just Like These Companies, Etisalat Will Never Be Called 9mobile In Nigeria by gotnel: 8:26am On Aug 05, 2017
CHESTER48:
I'm sorry op but this cow
bell part is a lie. Others are true but this is a lie. Actually there is one you should instead of cowbell

Itzz

Wait for it

Wait

Wait

Here it comes

Gala:up till now there are so many sausage roll everywhere. But when you see hawkers they keep shouting buy your gala. There is biggie. High life.. All na gala nah. Even you sef still dey call biggie gala. Lol. Abi I lie?

True talk
Re: Just Like These Companies, Etisalat Will Never Be Called 9mobile In Nigeria by sammizink7(m): 9:06am On Aug 05, 2017
but the thing is that when peak came out they didnt call peak cowbell but nepa and jik will never changebut the thing is that when peak came out they didnt call peak cowbell but nepa and jik will never changebut the thing is that when peak came out they didnt call peak cowbell but nepa and jik will never change
Re: Just Like These Companies, Etisalat Will Never Be Called 9mobile In Nigeria by Agimor(m): 9:57am On Aug 05, 2017
I endorsed this thread for front Page. In other news indomie remains indomie no matter what.

1 Like

Re: Just Like These Companies, Etisalat Will Never Be Called 9mobile In Nigeria by abumeinben(m): 1:29pm On Aug 05, 2017
Op ya not total right.

Gaan ask hiatel, Zain, vmobile, econet wireless and Vodacom.

But this 9mobile kinda name sef....9jaNet sef better.
Re: Just Like These Companies, Etisalat Will Never Be Called 9mobile In Nigeria by Youngpo413: 5:29pm On Aug 05, 2017
Plasma TV.
Re: Just Like These Companies, Etisalat Will Never Be Called 9mobile In Nigeria by Mustay(m): 6:00pm On Aug 05, 2017
As long as you stopped calling Airtel "Econet", "V-Mobile" or "Celtel", continuous branding and adverts will get you used to 9mobile and forget Etisalat in time.
Re: Just Like These Companies, Etisalat Will Never Be Called 9mobile In Nigeria by LesGrossman(m): 11:02pm On Aug 05, 2017
OP you forgot McLean for every toothpaste.

(1) (2) (Reply)

HELP!!! I Am Looking For The Cheapest Phone With 4g LTE / Iphone 3gs Use In Nigeria / Is It Cool To Use Iphone 6 Now?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.