Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,139 members, 7,814,993 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:01 AM

HAUNTED - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / HAUNTED (788 Views)

Haunted By My Past / HAUNTED. Tales From Dark Nights. / HAUNTED - By Okunsanya Abiola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

HAUNTED by dauntless15(m): 10:31pm On Aug 04, 2017
NB: No part of this story may be reproduced or posted on any social platform without my authorization

HAUNTED
Chapter 1: Christmas in October

This would be the best vacation ever, We would have alot of fun in New Jersey, Chase beamed excitedly as Zoe continued fiddling with her iPhone in an insouciant manner.

common bae, say something, chase urged zoe,

Why New Jersey? zoe retorted barely taking her eyes off her phone

Scott's late dad owns a cabin in pine barrens, good thing is, its a private cabin in the woods with an awesome fireplace, you know what that means right? Chase replied with a naughty look.

Nope, zoe grimaced trying to feign ignorance

Chase winked at zoe who smiled back at him, he drew close to her and kissed her, she giggled and wanted to kiss him back when the door suddenly flew open and in came Tyler and Ava,

Tyler: eww gross, you two get a room where you can suck face all you want, jeez you guys are like rats, kissing and frolicking wherever you find each other, zero chills.

Chase: stop being a drama queen tyler, it's just a kiss

Tyler: yea it's just a kiss, I find it particularly unnerving for you to be sucking the living daylight out of my sister in my presence, its like watching your daughter having sex, get some privacy, you remind me of a pitbull with that pink little thing hanging out.

Zoe gazed hotly at tyler and subconsciously wished he would just vanish like the wind until chase laughed out in wonderment at how blunt tyler is,

Your brother is a funny chap, chase interjected while slightly nudging zoe who's feeling indifferent about her supposedly rude kid brother

Ava: have you guys seen my mittens? Can't find them anywhere

Tyler: check the car

Zoe: wheres scott? what took you guys so long?

Tyler: the GPS got crazy like its been hacked by the aliens and we drove crazily until we got here, welcome to the apocalyptic era

Ava and zoe roared in laughter at Tyler's impeccable sense of humour

Chase starred at Tyler with a knowing look, he's aware of Tyler's secret (he smokes) and he wore a smug smile.

Ava: we stopped at the store Tyler wanted to get something

Zoe: really, what did you get tyler? and don't lie to me, i can tell when you're lying

Tyler: hello, miss smarty pants, I'm old enough to have a life Incase you haven't noticed, gimme a break

Zoe: you're 17 dork

Chase: hey guys, chill, tyler just answer the goddamned question

Tyler: scott is obsessed about this vacation in the Woods thingy that he wouldn't stop talking about it, he's getting me bored So we offered to get supplies for the trip while he goes to pick up his girlfriend.

Ava: the Woods? spooky, i thought we agreed it'd be miami, the beach, sun tan, beauty sleep, we're giving it up for that?, i don't just get it

Tyler: yea, Miami Beaches are off the chizain, the hot Latinos in bikinis, the views, it's like sex in the city

Ava: (smiles) I'd look hot in a bathing suit, what do you think guys?

Ooweee!!! Tyler yelped excitedly as he imagined ava in a bathing suit and he winked at her seductively

Zoe: you're kidding right?

Chase: you'd look like my granny

Whatever! Ava fumed as they jokingly mocked her

Chase: the point of this vacation is to get away from all the hassles of college and bond with nature, what could be more natural than the woods with its coniferous trees and cold winter weather? Its like Christmas in October

I don't do cold weather, scott declared as he entered the room with Mia trailing behind him,

Whats up guys, ready for the trip? Scott asked while smiling gleefully,

Hell Yea lets do this, everyone chorused

Mia: is everything ready?
Tyler: ready and accounted for, they are in the pickup truck outside

They all trooped outside to the car, a red ford pickup truck belonging to tyler, they all got into the car, turned on the ignition and zoomed off.

Wrote this a long time ago out of boredom, pardon the errors you might find, not a professional writter.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: HAUNTED by dauntless15(m): 8:46am On Aug 05, 2017
Haunted
Chapter 2: paranormal presence

they left at 11am and travelled for hours until they got to the cabin after missing thier way severally, it is a quite cabin in the Woods, they're no other cabins in sight thereby ruling out the possibility of neighbors visiting.

We're here, chase announced as the car grinded to a halt in front of the cabin, everyone got down and started unpacking while chase woke Zoe up, she fell asleep few hours into the journey.

Creepy enough? Ava gesticulated in a sarcastic manner while looking at the dilapidated cabin,
Chase: don't tell me you've suddenly gone cold turkey on me

Scott: this isn't what i remembered this place to be, i used to come out here with dad to camp

Mia: well lets settle in and cook something to eat, maybe we can go on a hike tomorrow, what do you think babe?
Scott: yea, sure, tyler did you pack some beer?
Tyler: hell yea

They finished unpacking and started putting the old cabin in order, chase helped scott with the capentry and repairs while Ava helped mia with cleaning, Tyler offered to fetch some wood for the fireplace while zoe took a lone tour of the cabin, she's inquisitive and usually quiet, she stumbled upon a locked floorsafe and forced it open after several tries and found a journal, a switchblade and some old dollar bills, she sat down on a chair and glanced through the journal.

While going to get wood, Tyler found an old camping site, he decided to snoop around, he found some old and rusty cooking utensils, a table knife, a blood stained cloth and a neatly arranged wood by what used to be the camp fire, as he looked around trying to decipher what happened there, many ravens flew past him squawking noisily,

Something must have startled them he muttered to himself, he could feel the presence of something else like he's been watched, he looked around for the umpteenth time to be sure he's alone and convinced himself that he's just being paranoid.

Set us free, set us free!!! A female voice echoed and Tyler quickly turned to spot the silhouette of a woman disappearing into the fog,

hello? Anyone there? He waited but no response came, he Heard more footsteps and clicks of broken twigs which he finds unsettling, he quickly tied the wood in a bundle, took it and left in a hurry while constantly looking back to be sure he's not being followed.
Re: HAUNTED by dauntless15(m): 11:41am On May 23, 2018
Haunted
Chapter 3: Jersey devil

Everyone is done with chores and resting when tyler got back, he made no effort in hiding the worry strewn across his handsome face,

What's wrong? Zoe queried as Tyler approached, and everyone gave him an inquisitive stare,

It's nothing, Tyler quickly replied while dropping the wood he fetched

Chase: it took you a while to get back buddy, and you don't look too good

I said I'm fine, tyler yelled,

Ok guys let's go prepare something to eat, how about chicken soup, mia intervened as the atmosphere got tensed.

They sat on the sofa around the fireplace after dinner except tyler who's outside smoking

look what i found on the internet about this place zoe announced as she showed chase the article on her phone,

Scott: what did it say?

Zoe: something spooky about this place

Ava: don't tell me you believe in all this ghost bullcrap, it's all hogwash concocted by adults to scare kids into behaving properly

Mia: aint you such a know it all

Scott: guys let's hear her out, go on zoe

With a nod she started reading the article out loud

" Its the Jersey devil story, it goes like this, a woman called Leeds had 12 children. Her 13th child was said to be the Devil himself. The baby was born a normal baby on a stormy night, But the baby later changed into a creature that has a goat's head, hoof, bat wings and a tail. It killed the midwife, flew up the chimney and disappeared into the Barrens. A local clergy was said to have exorcised the Jersey Devil in 1740. It wasn’t seen again until 1890. Few people have reported seeing the Jersey Devil ever since.

Zoe looked up to find everyone looking at her with keen interest, until ava laughed mockingly

Ava: what a cliché, so you believe this load of crap?

Chase: give her a bre.........

He couldn't complete his sentence as they heard a sharp cry from tyler and they all ran outside to see what happened.

1 Like

Re: HAUNTED by Favyo(f): 9:46am On May 25, 2018
Hey dearie, can u pls come back and finish up what u started? I love this story please....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: HAUNTED by dauntless15(m): 3:16pm On Jun 12, 2018
Favyo:
Hey dearie, can u pls come back and finish up what u started? I love this story please....
ok I'll post tonight
Re: HAUNTED by dauntless15(m): 7:11am On Jun 25, 2018
Haunted
Chapter 4: Bryce matterson

They found tyler in a secluded corner of the cabin crying and shivering like he saw a ghost and beside him lay a stick of burning marijuana.

Damn it tyler, you smoke pot? Zoe blurted out in disappointment

What happened man, chase questioned as he squatted beside tyler while everyone looked on expectantly,

I saw a haggard and dirty old man with messy hair watching me from that spot over there, he let out a cold and shrilled cry before turning into a bat like creature and flying away,

he whimpered and shivered uncontrollably while pointing at the spot he allegedly saw the apparition.

But theres no one there, mia replied after looking at the spot repeatedly

you're hallucinating Tyler, and thats what happen when you mess around with weed, zoe hollered angrily

I know what I saw, I swear, tyler cried out pleadingly

Lets get him inside and get him something warm and soothing ava pronounced as she gestured to chase to help Tyler up,

They got inside and scott lingered around the patio deep in thought at what just happened, his eyes fell on a worn out journal which was unknowingly dropped by zoe, he picked it up with the intention of giving it back to zoe when his eyes fell on a name scribbled on the outer page of the journal "Bryce matterson".

Dad? He muttered as he slowly opened the journal,

It has been 16 years since his father died mysteriously in this woods and he decieved his friends to spend the vacation here because he wants to find out how his dad died, he visited this cabin with his dad a couple of times when he was six years old but the one time his dad visited this place alone he never came back alive, the police never found his body and they couldn't explain to his mum how he died and they never talk about him.

Scott quickly flipped through the pages to perhaps find a clue about what happened to his dad but all he sees are strange signs, hastily scribbled non english words,

he came across a sentence written in foreign language,
"fola chuig an chloch, agus déanfaidh an Prionsa dorcha beo arís" and googled it with his smartphone, it means "blood to the stone, and the dark prince shall live again" what could this mean? He pondered,

He felt Cold hands on his shoulder and he swiftly turned to spot mia staring blankly at him,

Mia: are you alright?
Ye..yea i am fine, scott stuttered
Mia: I'm sorry i startled you, what were you reading?
Scott: uuhh just some old journal i found
Mia: who's journal is it?
Scott: i don't really know (he lied)
Mia: read anything useful?
Scott: nope just some drawings and crap, common lets go inside, it's Cold out here

That was a close one, he thought inwardly as he approached Mia, He held Mia's hand and they went inside the cabin.

They hurdled on the sofa around the fireplace and slept off.
Re: HAUNTED by dauntless15(m): 7:12am On Jun 25, 2018
Haunted
Chapter 5: what goes down after sunset

Tyler, tyler!!! Tyler turned to see a frail blonde girl calling out to him, she looks pale and cold, with water dripping all over her, she's wearing a dirty, tattered dress which used to be white, there are bags beneath her eyes which indicates sleeplessness and exhaustion, tyler looked on with bewilderment as she took baby steps backwards but kept reaching out to him, her thin lips shaky due to the chills shes having, take my hands Tyler, come to me, please set us free!!

He hesitated a bit but felt compelled by something he couldn't place his finger on, probably her sorry state which begs for pity or her pretty oval face which is adorned with the most beautiful pair of grey eyes he has ever seen, she started retreating while calling out to him, and he kept walking towards her retreating figure,

Wait, tell me your name, he called out but its too late as she suddenly vanished into the dark, he looked around, searching frantically, hoping to find her but she's nowhere to be found and he headed towards the direction she seemed to have gone..........

Zoe slowly opened her eyes as the light of the new day filtered through the window and shone on her face, she looked around and everyone is soundly asleep except tyler, she quickly got up and went outside to search for him, she couldn't find him anywhere,

Tyler!! she called out loudly until the others woke up and came out

I can't find tyler, my brother is missing, zoe announced with teary eyes

Chase hugged her and comforted her as the others searched around the cabin

Over here!! Mia called out

She found Tyler's footprints on the wet ground

It leads to the woods, he must have wandered off while sleep walking, zoe announced

Chase: he sleep walks? Since when?

Zoe: since forever

Scott: Lets not waste time then

They all set out to look for tyler........

(1) (Reply)

A Movie Script For Sale / Are You Writing A Book? Need Manuscript Evaluation? Free Critique Available / People's Choice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.