Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,183 members, 7,818,585 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:17 PM

9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. (40016 Views)

Using ATM: 3 Lessons I Learned At The ATM Spot This Morning / Lady Shares Her Experience At The ATM Which Had More Than 20 Guys / Two Men Pose With The Money They Are About To Cash Out At The ATM (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by Pharaoh9(m): 1:47pm On Aug 06, 2017
Hmm
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by raphy(m): 1:48pm On Aug 06, 2017
we HV heard so next... wht is the next story..pls.?
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by temmytopsy1(f): 1:52pm On Aug 06, 2017
What about this: someone inserted the card and for the machine to dispense 4k, it dispensed 3k, it swallowed the card and alert of 4k was sent
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by juliola: 1:58pm On Aug 06, 2017
Power outage
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by VickyRotex(f): 1:58pm On Aug 06, 2017
KINGTELLER:
[b]

ATM over paying means dispenser belt or rollers are worn-out. Maintenance wasn't wasnt done on ATM to clean sensor area... Also it may be a host configuration problem

Yeah, could also be any of the problems you mentioned. I can imagine how much they lose to that.
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by do4luv14(m): 2:02pm On Aug 06, 2017
0b100100111:

10.) When the VPN (Village Peoples Network) is on your case

lolzzzz baaaadt guy
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by 7footre(m): 2:02pm On Aug 06, 2017
After withdrawal yesterday? The ATM refused to ejaculate my card but luckily enough, it gave me cash. Win win
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by napoleon77(m): 2:02pm On Aug 06, 2017
I have been in the electronic banking industry for over a decade ( Nigeria and UK) and can confirm that numbers 1, 2 and 4 are wrong.
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by ehissi(m): 2:14pm On Aug 06, 2017
Benita27:
Dingbang, I'm sorry for that comment. Think I went overboard with it, and I've been uncomfortable. Will modify.

You can like overboarding....... undecided

You and overboarding with Dingbang be like........ grin

1 Share

Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by Nobody: 2:24pm On Aug 06, 2017
I hardly used atm at weekends and odd hrs when banks are nt in operation.
There was a man travelling with his family at nite and he decided to withdraw with his atm, surprisingly his card was ceased. Immediately he left the bank not up to 30min he started receiving debt alert 20k per alert immediately it got to the 6th time it stopped. At exactly 2min past 12 in the morning it started again the man almost cried he had to disembark from the bus and wait for dawn so he could travel back to the bank. Dunno what transpired later shall.
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by dingbang(m): 2:27pm On Aug 06, 2017
napoleon77:
I have been in the electronic banking industry for over a decade ( Nigeria and UK) and can confirm that numbers 1, 2 and 4 are wrong.
and I asked the professionals in the industry to teach us other reasons...
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by dingbang(m): 2:28pm On Aug 06, 2017
iamloyalty:
I hardly used atm at weekends and odd hrs when banks are nt in operation.
There was a man travelling with his family at nite and he decided to withdraw with his atm, surprisingly his card was ceased. Immediately he left the bank not up to 30min he started receiving debt alert 20k per alert immediately it got to the 6th time it stopped. At exactly 2min past 12 in the morning it started again the man almost cried he had to disembark from the bus and wait for dawn so he could travel back to the bank. Dunno what transpired later shall.
chai... I feel for the guy
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by FelixFelicis(m): 2:33pm On Aug 06, 2017
dingbang:
there is a word "might"...

You failed to see that

And also in point number 2, you failed to see the "some ATM's are manufactured to hold cards that have insufficient balance.. Benita27.. What's wrong?
You see how your oversabi wants to kill you ehn Benita?
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by elchymo: 2:35pm On Aug 06, 2017
7footre:
After withdrawal yesterday? The ATM refused to ejaculate my card but luckily enough, it gave me cash. Win win
Ejaculate kwa? Na sperm??

Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by KINGTELLER: 2:40pm On Aug 06, 2017
VickyRotex:

Yeah, could also be any of the problems you mentioned. I can imagine how much they lose to that.

I don't think they loose much... such occurance (overpayment) happens one in a million transactions
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by Nodogragra4me(m): 2:45pm On Aug 06, 2017
Benita27:
I think points 1&2 isn't true.

1. The card is supposed to be inserted from the side that has the black arrow but when one mistakenly try the other side the machine rejects the card instantly.

2. I've used machines where I had insufficient balance but rather I was notified I couldn't carry on the transaction, and my card was rejected. The only reason I know the ATM holds back the card is when the password is entered wrongly more than once.

The one I was told in the bank is that when your name is not written on the card by the bank and you didn't write it yourself or sign on the black stripe on the reverse of the card , some machines will flag and swallow the card
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by Nobody: 2:46pm On Aug 06, 2017
This happened yesterday when i gave my brother my ATM card to make withdrawal for me,I already transferred the money to another account. Will the bank give me back my ATM if I go,this is the first time am experiencing this,have heard cases where one will be required to pay for another ATM card
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by 7footre(m): 2:46pm On Aug 06, 2017
elchymo:
Ejaculate kwa? Na sperm??

So when you hear ejaculate, na only sperm you de think of abi?

Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by Nobody: 2:50pm On Aug 06, 2017
dingbang:
chai... I feel for the guy
No be small. I wonder how it waz possible.
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by dingbang(m): 2:51pm On Aug 06, 2017
dupsyluzy:
This happened yesterday when i gave my brother my ATM card to make withdrawal for me,I already transferred the money to another account. Will the bank give me back my ATM if I go,this is the first time am experiencing this,have heard cases where one will be required to pay for another ATM card
if its an ATM card of the same bank, then it will be given back to you, but if its another card, then you will have to go to your own bank and get a new ATM card
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by linearity: 2:55pm On Aug 06, 2017
Benita27:

1. The card is supposed to be inserted from the side that has the black arrow but when one mistakenly try the other side the machine rejects the card instantly.

2. I've used machines where I had insufficient balance but rather I was notified I couldn't carry on the transaction, and my card was rejected. The only reason I know the ATM holds back the card is when the password is entered wrongly more than once.

ATM machines are programmable and can be programmed to either hold or reject cards should certain conditions be met.

The fact that, the General behave is to reject the card if inserted wrongly, does not make the OP's statement wrong as ATMs can also exhibit those characteristics.
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by loomer: 3:06pm On Aug 06, 2017
ATM self no supos dey accept cards inserted wrongly
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by gradeA(m): 3:07pm On Aug 06, 2017
VickyRotex:
Let me share.

2 weeks ago, ATM overpaid me. grin I chatted their Twitter team up, and the lady was surprised. So according to her advise, I waited for about 3 days to see if I was going to be debited. (I knew I wasn't gonna be debited, cos it's possible the bills came out stuck to each other)

So I went back to the bank to return the money, and the guy was just looking at me like this shocked shocked He was like, this is rare. He had to go call someone to help him out, on how to handle the return. I was just laughing cheesy cheesy In my mind, I said "Mi kin je nkan, oni nkan, molu temi"

hehehe oya aunty tell me the truth, it's just us, did you really return that money?
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by gradeA(m): 3:16pm On Aug 06, 2017
Another reason could be cardholder timeout. mostly happen to illiterates who don't know how to use the machine, or people that just get unnecessarily distracted withdrawing by maybe phone calls or gists.

1 Like

Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by Deem: 3:20pm On Aug 06, 2017
All these points are not true
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by Peacefullove: 3:28pm On Aug 06, 2017
VickyRotex:
Let me share.

2 weeks ago, ATM overpaid me. grin I chatted their Twitter team up, and the lady was surprised. So according to her advise, I waited for about 3 days to see if I was going to be debited. (I knew I wasn't gonna be debited, cos it's possible the bills came out stuck to each other)

So I went back to the bank to return the money, and the guy was just looking at me like this shocked shocked He was like, this is rare. He had to go call someone to help him out, on how to handle the return. I was just laughing cheesy cheesy In my mind, I said "Mi kin je nkan, oni nkan, molu temi"

I must commend your honesty. Few people do that, no amount of cash can buy the RESPECT and DIGNITY you have won yourself in the eyes of all those who saw you when you returned it . Nothing beats that, Cos we humans are water, we just dont know where we are. going to meet again

1 Like

Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by dingbang(m): 3:40pm On Aug 06, 2017
gradeA:
Another reason could be cardholder timeout. mostly happen to illiterates who don't know how to use the machine, or people that just get unnecessarily distracted withdrawing by maybe phone calls or gists.
nice one bro... Thanks for the input
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by Nobody: 3:44pm On Aug 06, 2017
ehissi:

You can like overboarding....... undecided

You and overboarding with Dingbang be like........ grin
cheesy grin
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by charlsecy(m): 4:20pm On Aug 06, 2017
StRichard:
Don't you know there are faulty automated teller machines that swallow card without any reason.
Read again.
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by Nobody: 4:51pm On Aug 06, 2017
Benita27:

Supported wink

1 Like

Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by kaykaymcb(m): 4:56pm On Aug 06, 2017

Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by IdeyFindWife: 5:03pm On Aug 06, 2017
VickyRotex:
Let me share.

Wow, beautiful chick with a beautiful soul.
Many would have spent the money and given testimony later.

Can't make much of the Yoruba but I get the drift.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5 Things You Didnt Know About Pablo Escobar. The Greatest Businessman Of Alltime / Coke, Fanta Prices To Increase As FG Imposes N10/litre Excise Duty On Carbonated / A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.