Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,647 members, 7,816,657 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:39 PM

Transgender Children: Preparing For Puberty - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Transgender Children: Preparing For Puberty (467 Views)

Transgender Man, Kayden Coleman Pregnant With Second Child / African Parents And Sex Education; How Was Puberty Like For You? / Why We Need To Rethink Transgender In Nigeria ( Photos ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Transgender Children: Preparing For Puberty by Solowiz(m): 5:51pm On Aug 07, 2017
For most parents, their child's move to secondary school is a big moment which requires planning, even more so for those with transgender children. The Victoria Derbyshire programme has been following two of the UK's youngest trans children for the last two-and-a-half years.
"I won't mention it, but if it comes up I will be honest. I'm not going to say, 'Guess what, I'm trans', but if someone mentions it I will say I am, because I am," says Jessica.
The 10-year-old's friends do not really mention the fact she has transitioned from living as male to female, a fact she prefers. She just wants to be treated "like a normal girl".
We first met "Jessica" and "Lily", who is now nine, in January 2015. We are not using their real names.
Jessica's stepfather "Alex" - who transitioned from living as female to male - says he is "taken aback, but quite proud" that she plans to be open when she moves to her next school in just over a year's time.
While it is not without problems, he says that approach avoids having to worry about whether someone will find out, which can be stressful for both the child and siblings who could accidentally "out" them.
"It's a big secret to keep. It just puts so much pressure on them. And so if somebody does feel that they can sort of be open about it, I personally I think that's a better way," he says.

credits :BBC world service

(1) (Reply)

Sex Education / Couple Exchange Wedding Vows On Valentine Day – See Photos / So How Do People Born On February 29th Celebrate Their Birthday?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.