Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,084 members, 7,821,737 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:29 PM

Man Kept In Chains For One Year In Lagos Rescued By Police (Photos) - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Man Kept In Chains For One Year In Lagos Rescued By Police (Photos) (43536 Views)

Man Kept Deceased Mom In Freezer For Years For Casual Sex / Kids Kidnapped In Aba, Kept In Caskets, Bakassi Boys Rescue Them (Video) / Thief Caught At Shoprite In Lagos, Rescued From Being Lynched By Mob. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man Kept In Chains For One Year In Lagos Rescued By Police (Photos) by bernard1000001(m): 10:34pm On Aug 09, 2017
Okay..Afonjas Sighted
Re: Man Kept In Chains For One Year In Lagos Rescued By Police (Photos) by colossus91(m): 10:46pm On Aug 09, 2017
kingsleybrave:

Certified IMBICILE.,.,,,is ur backward STATE free of insane men as a result of ritualist and tendency 4 quick wealth?
what gave you d impetus to mention my state?
Unku sensé the legendary sense giver borrow that your sense to ajimobi.......meanwhile ibadan has more mad than normal pipu u and i knw it............ no cry ehn grin
Re: Man Kept In Chains For One Year In Lagos Rescued By Police (Photos) by kingsleybrave(m): 10:58pm On Aug 09, 2017
colossus91:

Unku sensé the legendary sense giver borrow that your sense to ajimobi.......meanwhile ibadan has more mad than normal pipu u and i knw it............ no cry ehn grin
Chai! U Just Weak Me With This One! So U Mean Ur Type Stil Actualy Exist? Tut U Guy Have Gone In Extinction! Na Wa Oh! How Can We Locate U!? Ur Existence Remains A Threat 2 Humanity I Swear! You Need To Be Kept Where Ur Felos Are , B4 U Cause Havoc. slowpoke Check My Signature? Get Wise Soon,
Re: Man Kept In Chains For One Year In Lagos Rescued By Police (Photos) by brugge007(m): 11:04pm On Aug 09, 2017
elawee55:
Wait till next full moon... I'm just saying... Granny knows best!

na that time you go see teen wolf season six

1 Like

Re: Man Kept In Chains For One Year In Lagos Rescued By Police (Photos) by nkemdi89(f): 11:21pm On Aug 09, 2017
miarhpe:
moi represented.
My business proposal in bet9naija, give me codes with reasonable odds.

feel free to inbox me for your with your start up business proposals and marketing plans

moi represented.
we really need to strengthen our systems as a nation.

Nkemdi89 thanks Hon, you bared my thoughts

feel free to inbox me for your with your start up business proposals and marketing plans
Re: Man Kept In Chains For One Year In Lagos Rescued By Police (Photos) by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 11:24pm On Aug 09, 2017
thesicilian:
Can't blame them for chaining him. Cost of psychiatric treatment is high in Nigeria. I hope the government now can take better care of him.

Are you speculating or what ? Psychiatric treatment is the cheapest type of treatment in Nigeria. You can treat most serious patients with between 1,000 and 5,000 naira monthly.

1 Like

Re: Man Kept In Chains For One Year In Lagos Rescued By Police (Photos) by Nobody: 12:08am On Aug 10, 2017
The lights are on upstairs but there's no one at home...poor dude
Re: Man Kept In Chains For One Year In Lagos Rescued By Police (Photos) by MadCow1: 12:35am On Aug 10, 2017
Memories12411:
Is there no better way to treat him. Why such a cruel way of treatment?

If you think that his condition is cruel then you need to step outside your comfort zone and see what goes on in this Country. I know of a Pastor who specializes in "deliverying" mental patients. He has a yard filled with chained "supposesedly mental" people who he is delivering. This guys accommodation is like Eko Hotel in comparison.

Even Psychaitric hospitals in Nigeria are not as decent as this guys room.
Re: Man Kept In Chains For One Year In Lagos Rescued By Police (Photos) by JoshMedia: 2:27am On Aug 10, 2017
Okun
Re: Man Kept In Chains For One Year In Lagos Rescued By Police (Photos) by thesicilian: 6:53am On Aug 10, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:

Are you speculating or what ? Psychiatric treatment is the cheapest type of treatment in Nigeria. You can treat most serious patients with between 1,000 and 5,000 naira monthly.
Which of the psychiatric hospitals have you worked before that charges 1 to 5k monthly?!

1 Like

Re: Man Kept In Chains For One Year In Lagos Rescued By Police (Photos) by Nobody: 7:21am On Aug 10, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:

and who is going to be paying this 1000 - 5000k monthly? The grandma?
Re: Man Kept In Chains For One Year In Lagos Rescued By Police (Photos) by MissRaine69(f): 8:30am On Aug 10, 2017
This is a country where access to good ( this is open to intrepretation)healthcare is not possible for many. superstition is rife and it does not help and finally it's pertinent to note that not many have choice in regards access to psychiatric care. To those condemning the grandmother what would you have her do? Assuming she had little or no money, preferred the grandson at home rather than be roaming the streets? Before you exercise your keyboard warrior skills think ( not always possible for some) try nonetheless.

2 Likes

Re: Man Kept In Chains For One Year In Lagos Rescued By Police (Photos) by Nobody: 8:48am On Aug 10, 2017
And the dad is a medical doctor!SMH
Re: Man Kept In Chains For One Year In Lagos Rescued By Police (Photos) by Donvalentino55(m): 9:36am On Aug 10, 2017
They spiritually mined his skull...left him in chains to die so as to complete it physically... Na today! We know them...

Re: Man Kept In Chains For One Year In Lagos Rescued By Police (Photos) by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 9:38am On Aug 10, 2017
frenzyduchess:
and who is going to be paying this 1000 - 5000k monthly? The grandma?

Is it not better to source for 3,000 monthly from friends, relatives, pastors and imams than to tie up a human being like a goat ? Psychiatric illness is debilitating and stigmatic but not the end of the world for all patients. Some people have gone on to become great scholars Nobel prize winners,political figures etc A very famous Nigerian I know has a severe mental disorder but you never can tell.
So I don't really get the point you are making. It would certainly appear to me that the family should bear the cost of treatment
Re: Man Kept In Chains For One Year In Lagos Rescued By Police (Photos) by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 9:45am On Aug 10, 2017
thesicilian:

Which of the psychiatric hospitals have you worked before that charges 1 to 5k monthly?!

Government hospitals. After the initial cost of registration, tests etc maintenance can be very low if you avoid brand name drugs and use generics. Many Nigerian psychiatrists innovate to their patients advantage and bring costs down.
The major factor preventing people from seeking treatment are ignorance and fear of stigmatization.
Re: Man Kept In Chains For One Year In Lagos Rescued By Police (Photos) by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 9:59am On Aug 10, 2017
MissRaine69:
This is a country where access to good ( this is open to intrepretation)healthcare is not possible for many. superstition is rife and it does not help and finally it's pertinent to note that not many have choice in regards access to psychiatric care. To those condemning the grandmother what would you have her do? Assuming she had little or no money, preferred the grandson at home rather than be roaming the streets? Before you exercise your keyboard warrior skills think ( not always possible for some) try nonetheless.

The grandma is not the parent. Where are the parents ? It is quite alluring to plead poverty as a reason for his incarceration but this does not pass muster. The world has moved on from this barbaric approach. The parents need to be called to account.
Re: Man Kept In Chains For One Year In Lagos Rescued By Police (Photos) by MissRaine69(f): 10:28am On Aug 10, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:

The grandma is not the parent. Where are the parents ? It is quite alluring to plead poverty as a reason for his incarceration but this does not pass muster. The world has moved on from this barbaric approach. The parents need to be called to account.
That's assuming there are parents to speak off. And secondly step down from your soap box and step into the real Nigeria the one that's past the facade of wealth and riches. This young man is not the only one in this situation. Condemning the grandmother is NOT going to address the problem the question should be why resort to this in the first instance?
Re: Man Kept In Chains For One Year In Lagos Rescued By Police (Photos) by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 10:48am On Aug 10, 2017
MissRaine69:

That's assuming there are parents to speak off. And secondly step down from your soap box and step into the real Nigeria the one that's past the facade of wealth and riches. This young man is not the only one in this situation. Condemning the grandmother is NOT going to address the problem the question should be why resort to this in the first instance?

You appear firmly wedded to your opinion. First you assume that there are no parents, second you assert that I have criticized the grandmother - I can't remember doing so. Third, you admit poverty as an excuse for this inhumane treatment: that is a very slippery slope you are treading. Where do we draw the line? Is child slavery acceptable on account of poverty? Are ritual killings? Sex trafficking ? I don't accept your argument or its implications. Even if the country has failed us , we should not fail ourselves.

1.Someone must take responsibility, and the most logical first line candidates are the family members.
2.People should learn from this example and desist from this barbaric practice.
3 Mental illness is not incurable, it is manageable and as I have asserted before, it is relatively cheap to do so.
4 People with psychiatric disorders should not be tied up like animals.

Which of these points do you disagree with ?

1 Like

Re: Man Kept In Chains For One Year In Lagos Rescued By Police (Photos) by MissRaine69(f): 10:50am On Aug 10, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:

Is it not better to source for 3,000 monthly from friends, relatives, pastors and imams than to tie up a human being like a goat ? Psychiatric illness is debilitating and stigmatic but not the end of the world for all patients. Some people have gone on to become great scholars Nobel prize winners,political figures etc A very famous Nigerian I know has a severe mental disorder but you never can tell.
So I don't really get the point you are making. It would certainly appear to me that the family should bear the cost of treatment
Can we step into the real world for a moment, the real Nigeria where most live in abject poverty it might not be the end of the world if you can get access to services and that costs money which most don't have.

I don't condemn the grandmother as I have seen worse it's a shame that she has to resort to such means.
Re: Man Kept In Chains For One Year In Lagos Rescued By Police (Photos) by MissRaine69(f): 10:54am On Aug 10, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:

You appear firmly wedded to your opinion. First you assume that there are no parents, second you assert that I have criticized the grandmother - I can't remember doing so. Third, you admit poverty as an excuse for this inhumane treatment: that is a very slippery slope you are treading. Where do we draw the line? Is child slavery acceptable on account of poverty? Are ritual killings? Sex trafficking ? I don't accept your argument or its implications. Even if the country has failed us , we should not fail ourselves.

1.Someone must take responsibility, and the most logical first line candidates are the family members.
3 Mental illness is not incurable, it is manageable and as I have asserted before, it is relatively cheap to do so.

Your idealistic logic is what disagree with. Thats assuming the young man in question has a mental illness he could have a congenital brain defect, severe autism. ABI, or profound learning difficulties
Re: Man Kept In Chains For One Year In Lagos Rescued By Police (Photos) by MissRaine69(f): 10:57am On Aug 10, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:

Your idealistic logic is what disagree with. Regarding being firmly wielded opinion, you are doing the same Thats assuming the young man in question has a mental illness he could have a congenital brain defect, severe autism. ABI, or profound learning difficulties. It's not about being punitive it's a matter of addressing why things got to this point.
Re: Man Kept In Chains For One Year In Lagos Rescued By Police (Photos) by Nobody: 10:58am On Aug 10, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:

so this month,old grandma sources for funds ,next month she does too and every other month after?,you folks say something's online that are not practical . I know of a case that the patient was thrown out of the hospital to be roaming the streets cos his family could no longer afford to pay his bills. Ordinary anti-malaria that has gone up,people price it like crayfish.
I think two major reasons are poverty and ignorance .some of this cases would have easily be treated with cheap medication before developing into full blown psychosis but our superstious belief will make them running to spirtual houses instead of seeking medical help.
Personally i dont see any thing wrong in putting him in chains if he has become violent after all even in the psychiatric hospitals some patients are restricted with belts and all.
Re: Man Kept In Chains For One Year In Lagos Rescued By Police (Photos) by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 11:47am On Aug 10, 2017
frenzyduchess:

so this month,old grandma sources for funds ,next month she does too and every other month after?,you folks say something's online that are not practical.
I have noticed that we Africans consciously and unconsciously accept low standards for ourselves. It is very practical to seek treatment, perhaps they lack knowledge of where to go.

I know of a case that the patient was thrown out of the hospital to be roaming the streets cos his family could no longer afford to pay his bills. Ordinary anti-malaria that has gone up,people price it like crayfish.
True

I think two major reasons are poverty and ignorance .some of this cases would have easily be treated with cheap medication before developing into full blown psychosis but our superstious belief will make them running to spirtual houses instead of seeking medical help.
Agreed.

Personally i dont see any thing wrong in putting him in chains if he has become violent after all even in the psychiatric hospitals some patients are restricted with belts and all.
You are in error there. Restraining a patient in a psychiatric facility because he is a danger to himself or others is not the same as chaining someone. They may look similar outwardly but they arise from different motivations and perspectives. The latter can get you in legal trouble as a health practitioner (even in Nigeria). The goal of restraints is to prevent harm while treatment is going on, though some patients (a small number) will require extended, maybe permanent, management of this type. Hospitals NEVER restrain patients with chains.

In fact, one of the landmark events of modern psychiatry can be traced back to 1795 in France when Dr Phillipe Pinel ordered the removal of chains from an inmate of the Paris asylum. If we are still debating the issue today on NL then that indicates how far Nigeria has to go.

Poverty is not the issue; ignorance is.
Re: Man Kept In Chains For One Year In Lagos Rescued By Police (Photos) by adexdon(m): 11:51am On Aug 10, 2017
u gat ur freedom at last
Re: Man Kept In Chains For One Year In Lagos Rescued By Police (Photos) by thesicilian: 11:57am On Aug 10, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:

Government hospitals. After the initial cost of registration, tests etc maintenance can be very low if you avoid brand name drugs and use generics. Many Nigerian psychiatrists innovate to their patients advantage and bring costs down.
The major factor preventing people from seeking treatment are ignorance and fear of stigmatization.

Guess you are right.
Re: Man Kept In Chains For One Year In Lagos Rescued By Police (Photos) by Nobody: 12:56pm On Aug 10, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:

I have noticed that we Africans consciously and unconsciously accept low standards for ourselves. It is very practical to seek treatment, perhaps they lack knowledge of where to go.

True

Agreed.

You are in error there. Restraining a patient in a psychiatric facility because he is a danger to himself or others is not the same as chaining someone. They may look similar outwardly but they arise from different motivations and perspectives. The latter can get you in legal trouble as a health practitioner (even in Nigeria). The goal of restraints is to prevent harm while treatment is going on, though some patients (a small number) will require extended, maybe permanent, management of this type. Hospitals NEVER restrain patients with chains.

In fact, one of the landmark events of modern psychiatry can be traced back to 1795 in France when Dr Phillipe Pinel ordered the removal of chains from an inmate of the Paris asylum. If we are still debating the issue today on NL then that indicates how far Nigeria has to go.

Poverty is not the issue; ignorance is.
you are entitled to your opinion, even sane people in nigeria are not entitled to complete human rights in nigeria ,not to talk of insane people. Our government still compares 2019 to 1919 ,so you shouldnt so you shouldnt be surprised we are debating the issue. do have a nice day
Re: Man Kept In Chains For One Year In Lagos Rescued By Police (Photos) by Bondesniger(m): 1:15pm On Aug 10, 2017
that can't be a solution to his problem she did the wrong thing at the right time

(1) (2) (Reply)

Teenage Girl Rejected By Ritualists In Delta, Narrates What Happened. Photos / Lady Who Defrauded People With Fake Alerts Caught (Pictures, Video) / Woman Commits Suicide Over Friend’s Unpaid LAPO Loan In Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.