Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,574 members, 7,812,865 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:55 PM

Tell Us How You Became A Programmer & is there any other prog. In your family? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Tell Us How You Became A Programmer & is there any other prog. In your family? (3192 Views)

A Programmer Is Actually Milking Me. / Urgent: A Python Programmer Is Needed In Abuja / Good Programmer Is Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tell Us How You Became A Programmer & is there any other prog. In your family? by badthinds: 8:16am On Aug 10, 2017
Being a programmer is not easy as we say...but somehow, only us know the truth. Its not a burden on us. grin

Behind every programmer...there is a story.
Some had been geeks right from time. Some were freaks. Some took computer Stuffs moderately.

...but a programmer who wasn't a programmer from the womb should know exactly how he/she stumbled upon the stone of the programming world.

#iClearMyThroat

Now, let me open the show.

Long time ago, I watched my brothers use the internet. I didn't have a mobile phone that could access the internet nor a computer.

When I watched them surf, I knew I wasn't interested in what they did...I was just interested in the beauty of the site, how text, images and colors appeared on the screen.

Fastforward.

A day came when I saw a saved page (.html). I clicked it and it opened up in the browser. I went back and renamed it to .txt, and my excitement made hair stand attention on my body despite the confusion.

I began to study the code like a curious cat...i was able to recognised some text that were visible in the browser...after some time, I began to modify the texts within <tag> [here] </tag>.

The results excited me the most!

I further noticed how tags ended with tag+a forward slash. Etc...

That was how the journey begun...I was the only one in my family who was interested in what I did.

Phew!.

Now Ova2u

3 Likes

Re: Tell Us How You Became A Programmer & is there any other prog. In your family? by logicalhumour: 8:51am On Aug 10, 2017
For me, I had always felt computer was embedded in me.

I can't remember doing any programming before I stated with WAPKA. Not even html.

I remember myself going to google and typing "create your own website" in the box. I tried many services until I stumbled upon Wapka, which was friendly with my Nokia X2.

Everything was strange...I discovered I could go to other WAPKA sites where the wapmasters dropped codes for people to copy eg "what's on your mind code" that excited me the most.

Slowly slowly I continued. I dropped developing my first wapka site due to some html errors I couldn't solve. Of course..it was a 'social network'.

I remember spamming a lot of people to the next I created when I gradually began to understand html and css. I had above 500 users and a good number were active. Of course I abandoned it when I began to understand the internet. I became creative and knew there was no good future in social media though, my siblings were ready to sponsor it due to the activities they saw in it.

The only achievement was a .tk domain! grin

I go back to that site today...and I still say its beautiful...distinguished and different from other WAPKA sites...also a distinguished 'social media'.

The Fire died completely when I heard about other programming languages and WAPKA only supported HTML and Js...I learnt Js...usually bombarded users with alerts...Lol.

There was a computer at home...but the windows xp never connected to the internet...after some time, the monitor spoilt...I had not even written a program in it. Just my X2 phone.

When my brothers got around with getting an LCD monitor for me...by then I had already learnt more javascript on paper.

Surprisingly, I learnt c++ without a compiler...I had never even used one!

When I got the monitor...excitement was at its peak...that was when I got into the world fully. Javascript, C++, C, Python, Java, PHP - in that order.

Later, my family ...especially my mom began to battle with my no-sleeping attitudes. Lol grin grin grin

Hmmm.... that's how I got here.
Re: Tell Us How You Became A Programmer & is there any other prog. In your family? by logicalhumour: 3:52pm On Aug 11, 2017
After posting my story yesterday...I was banned.

1 Like

Re: Tell Us How You Became A Programmer & is there any other prog. In your family? by logicalhumour: 4:09pm On Aug 11, 2017
I remember one day, I went into google and typed "create your own website" into the box...I wanted to have mine, I wanted to know how they do it.

I used many services but ended up with w.a.p.k.a because it suited my Nokia X2 then.

I didn't even understand the simplest html. Entirely new.
I found out other w.a.p.k.a sites that their webmaster offered design and development services whereby you copy codes, eg "what's on your mind code" - which excited me the most. Lol.

I had to abandon the site due to an html error I couldn't fix.

I created a new one and gained some html and css skills on the long run.
When I began knowing some javascript...I created something I look back and still praise my efforts...I had over 500 users and a good number where active.

On the long run...when I began to understand the internet more...I knew social media had no bright future...though mine was unique. I left it.

What killed it totally was when I discovered other programming languages and how w.a.p.k.a only supported html, css and Js.

I gave up.
all I achieved was a dotTK domain. Lol

I began...without a working computer...studying C++. Hmmm...just paper and pen oo..but I memorized the syntax and also some simple programs.

I later began to look for compiler that runs on the poor X2 (can you imagine?)

Later later...my computer was fixed and all the anger went on it. That was how it started.

C++, Javascript, C, Python, Java, Php and Mysql - in that order...perfecting Javascript, Python, Java and Php (for quick jobs).

Its only me in the family Sha. They never understand why I stay all night. grin ...even me I don't understand...always want to make the final change.

1 Like

Re: Tell Us How You Became A Programmer & is there any other prog. In your family? by Muhammedbashir(m): 7:39pm On Aug 11, 2017
logicalhumour:
I remember one day, I went into google and typed "create your own website" into the box...I wanted to have mine, I wanted to know how they do it.

I used many services but ended up with w.a.p.k.a because it suited my Nokia X2 then.

I didn't even understand the simplest html. Entirely new.
I found out other w.a.p.k.a sites that their webmaster offered design and development services whereby you copy codes, eg "what's on your mind code" - which excited me the most. Lol.

I had to abandon the site due to an html error I couldn't fix.

I created a new one and gained some html and css skills on the long run.
When I began knowing some javascript...I created something I look back and still praise my efforts...I had over 500 users and a good number where active.

On the long run...when I began to understand the internet more...I knew social media had no bright future...though mine was unique. I left it.

What killed it totally was when I discovered other programming languages and how w.a.p.k.a only supported html, css and Js.

I gave up.
all I achieved was a dotTK domain. Lol

I began...without a working computer...studying C++. Hmmm...just paper and pen oo..but I memorized the syntax and also some simple programs.

I later began to look for compiler that runs on the poor X2 (can you imagine?)

Later later...my computer was fixed and all the anger went on it. That was how it started.

C++, Javascript, C, Python, Java, Php and Mysql - in that order...perfecting Javascript, Python, Java and Php (for quick jobs).

Its only me in the family Sha. They never understand why I stay all night. grin ...even me I don't understand...always want to make the final change.
Wow, but I have some questions for you sir.
My questions are;
How many months those all this took you?
Is it only d 6programming language you know or those are d one u are best at?

More also, how did u learn? is it by going to school or trainings or reading on your own by downloading PDF and videos
Re: Tell Us How You Became A Programmer & is there any other prog. In your family? by Muhammedbashir(m): 7:41pm On Aug 11, 2017
badthinds:
Being a programmer is not easy as we say...but somehow, only us know the truth. Its not a burden on us. grin

Behind every programmer...there is a story.
Some had been geeks right from time. Some were freaks. Some took computer Stuffs moderately.

...but a programmer who wasn't a programmer from the womb should know exactly how he/she stumbled upon the stone of the programming world.

#iClearMyThroat

Now, let me open the show.

Long time ago, I watched my brothers use the internet. I didn't have a mobile phone that could access the internet nor a computer.

When I watched them surf, I knew I wasn't interested in what they did...I was just interested in the beauty of the site, how text, images and colors appeared on the screen.

Fastforward.

A day came when I saw a saved page (.html). I clicked it and it opened up in the browser. I went back and renamed it to .txt, and my excitement made hair stand attention on my body despite the confusion.

I began to study the code like a curious cat...i was able to recognised some text that were visible in the browser...after some time, I began to modify the texts within <tag> [here] </tag>.

The results excited me the most!

I further noticed how tags ended with tag+a forward slash. Etc...

That was how the journey begun...I was the only one in my family who was interested in what I did.

Phew!.

Now Ova2u

Am till a learner that has not accomplished much, Do I have a chance of showcasing my own little parts of experience?
Re: Tell Us How You Became A Programmer & is there any other prog. In your family? by logicalhumour: 6:06pm On Aug 12, 2017
Muhammedbashir:

Wow, but I have some questions for you sir.
My questions are;
How many months those all this took you?
Is it only d 6programming language you know or those are d one u are best at?

More also, how did u learn? is it by going to school or trainings or reading on your own by downloading PDF and videos

The truth is, I don't talk about languages I only played a little with eg lua, fortran and some others...

How I learnt them? = Many years of self training. Only pdfs tho. I also downloaded real computer science courses...not just the programming aspect.
Re: Tell Us How You Became A Programmer & is there any other prog. In your family? by badthinds: 6:08pm On Aug 12, 2017
Muhammedbashir:

Am till a learner that has not accomplished much, Do I have a chance of showcasing my own little parts of experience?
Yes, of course. The topic is just about telling us how you became interested in programming.
Re: Tell Us How You Became A Programmer & is there any other prog. In your family? by Muhammedbashir(m): 8:54pm On Aug 12, 2017
Well, am till a novice with no much experience but I get experience to share.

I started when I was in Ss1, although I didn't know I will come this far, it started by Ppm.
Pro paint mobile if am right? A class mate of mine was using this to design. I fell in love with that but ppm is kind of difficult, not what u can easily learn by your self but due to d interest. I started using ppm not a geek though but I started gathering ebooks from different angles based on ppm and I added some ppm bosses on 2go.

To my advantage, d ppm bosses I associated with are Wapmasters, so I found myself in d midst of wapmasters using ppm as website logo's and den I rescheduled my choice, I decided to have website of my own with no basic knowledge of programming den I started looking for boss to teach me how to create sites. Finally I found one, paid ransom to him den he teach me how to create Pbnl site, I owned and run d site with about 100+ members in Ss2 den but during this process, I already no what I wanted so I didn't waste my time running a site so I learnt how to create wapka site provided with d code, jcms, wp, ftp and blog.

Back den, I run Pbnl and Ftp, those are d sites I own and run and I was admin to some different jcms sites. I was aiming to have my own hosting site but I realized I lacked one thing which was programming, I only no how to edit den but I needed programming to further so I quitted everything.

I started with HTML only at w3schools, den I read this thing online, I was so dedicated to it cox it was fun when I tested some code and it works, den I was getting followers on 2go with no knowledge of how weak I was, I take up st night sometimes I slept by 2-4am and I till get school to go.

To d truth, it gets to a point I changed from civic engineering to computer science cox of programming but while doing all this, am already weak at school, I was one of d best in class but na top 10 whereas top 3, so I got discourage. I had to quit in Ss2 cox though no one to tell me whether to stop or continue, home is just to face your book, dey believed I played too much. I knew secondary school was my foundation, I get plenty of time to know programming even if am thirty years old and school is not what u can turn back at.

I backed up my scripts to online Uc disk, I forgone everything about programming but I have this at d back of my mind, am not quitting programming but rather am coming back with full enforcement later on. I faced my study, did my waec and neco, made all my papers, waited at home a year den did my jamb with 263.

Now am through with secondary school with required grade for computer science at Unilorin, and am back with dat enforcement to programming. I restarted programming about 3months ago, am now through with HTML and CSS presently at JavaScript inspiring to learn more.

I learnt by myself and mentored by bosses, e.g Philips Chike, Dhtml and lots dat Re wonderful to me. I appreciate your helps so far, Thank you Sirs!

What pains me most was my scripts back up, I was not aware of uc disk being canceled, it was a surprise my files are gone cox I thought am save and sound with my files at uc disk.

1 Like

Re: Tell Us How You Became A Programmer & is there any other prog. In your family? by Nobody: 1:17pm On Aug 13, 2017
Normally I don't respond to threads that don't discuss code but this attracted my attention, back then the popular languages were C++ and C there was nothing like C# , I got interested when I found out my PC could play PlayStation games after my PS was stolen, I was so curious how I spent an unhealthy amount of money on cyber cafe researching it, till I learnt it was C++ and emulation, I spent years reading on emulation, sadly I haven't written one but its my goal then led me to programming my interest was never web dev or backend but to contribute to emulation but sometimes hunger is a motivating tool so found myself in web , if I get a proper balanced job and high pay I will head back to learning emulation even if its just Z80

2 Likes

Re: Tell Us How You Became A Programmer & is there any other prog. In your family? by badthinds: 2:13pm On Aug 13, 2017
@pcguru1, your curiosity pass my own oo.

I also watched and played games...but I didn't think of doing one. Just the websites made me think of 'the behind'.
Re: Tell Us How You Became A Programmer & is there any other prog. In your family? by Nobody: 2:39pm On Aug 13, 2017
badthinds:
@pcguru1, your curiosity pass my own oo.

I also watched and played games...but I didn't think of doing one. Just the websites made me think of 'the behind'.

I love complex systems and how they work, sadly the web is not that interesting but there's money though, If i get a good knowledge of emulation I would write a topic here
Re: Tell Us How You Became A Programmer & is there any other prog. In your family? by CryptoCoinr(f): 2:52pm On Aug 13, 2017
Not sure. I've always been a computer freak so I can't remember any one thing that made me go into programming.

I remember dabbling into VB and thinking "meh, too easy" and when I couldn't understand what Dim was I moved into HTML/CSS. Back and forth for a few years especially because I didn't have my own PC so it was only when the PC I was using was within reach that I could program.

I also remember the PC I was using was formatted and I lost GTA: VC. A few years of wondering how to get it back and when I finally did I was unsatisfied with its graphics. I honestly felt I could do a better job. Fast forward and I'm learning C++, how to build game engines and OSes with AI. Couldn't quite get C++ classes, especially :: constructors and the PC I was using wasn't beefy enough for any game engine I could get my hands on. Unity was also a paid product by this time and I moved back to HTML/CSS.

My interest waned, CSS floats were quite irritating and I started C#. That's the only other language other than JS I have any sort of considerable knowledge about. I got stuck at delegates, prototypes and ever so slightly, inheritance and had a renewed interest in web development particularly because of money so I went back to HTML/CSS and JS this time... the present.

There's no other programmer in the house or anyone who comes close to my interest in tech. When I get a suitable PC then I can and will start backtracking my dreams.

2 Likes

Re: Tell Us How You Became A Programmer & is there any other prog. In your family? by Nobody: 3:52pm On Aug 13, 2017
Like 4 years ago, I just developed interest in knowing how things are being put together in making a webpage, being a novice is very Terrible o, so I downloaded HTML pdfs and started studying the basics didn't have much time Cos of school, but right now I can build from scratch(html5,css3,bootstrap) currrently enrolled in a Comp institute, still have js, jquery, MySQL, php(laravel) to learn tho.
My bro being a very successful programmer also boosted my moral smiley

1 Like

Re: Tell Us How You Became A Programmer & is there any other prog. In your family? by logicalhumour: 4:12pm On Aug 13, 2017
bjhaid:
Like 4 years ago, I just developed interest in knowing how things are being put together in making a webpage, being a novice is very Terrible o, so I downloaded HTML pdfs and started studying the basics didn't have much time Cos of school, but right now I can build from scratch(html5,css3,bootstrap) currrently enrolled in a Comp institute, still have js, jquery, MySQL, php(laravel) to learn tho.
My bro being a very successful programmer also boosted my moral smiley

How I wish someone in my family do what I do...especially one more experienced than me.

1 Like

Re: Tell Us How You Became A Programmer & is there any other prog. In your family? by Nobody: 4:22pm On Aug 13, 2017
logicalhumour:

How I wish someone in my family do what I do...especially one more experienced than me.
you can find experienced programmers on twitter both local and foreign
Re: Tell Us How You Became A Programmer & is there any other prog. In your family? by ucheuzor1(m): 4:34pm On Aug 13, 2017
My journey started in my 200l in Futo. I had a laptop then, so one of my roomate was learning web design using notepad++ and he did had video tutorials on HTML, HTML5 and CSS.

Seeing the results he was getting, i became interested. So I started learning HTML and CSS. Frankly speaking, i was proud of myself then because i was able to learn the codes and produce something. But somehow along the line, I lost interest and for almost 3 years, I never did any programming.

Just recently, i got the interest again. I know that am already good in HTML and CSS. I hv been learning JavaScript though its boring. I just want to know its basics, then make reference to them when needed via w3school.

The truth is I don't really see reason's trying to crack my head coding. I will just know the basics. Then use adobe Dreamweaver to setup websites. Dreamweaver does the coding while do the visual organization.

I intend starting up with php just to know the syntax and also be able to debug whenever problem arise.

2 Likes

Re: Tell Us How You Became A Programmer & is there any other prog. In your family? by logicalhumour: 11:10am On Aug 14, 2017
bjhaid:
you can find experienced programmers on twitter both local and foreign
I didn't mean someone to get help from oo. Just another close human being to talk issues and matter.

1 Like

Re: Tell Us How You Became A Programmer & is there any other prog. In your family? by Muhammedbashir(m): 1:43pm On Aug 15, 2017
logicalhumour:
I didn't mean someone to get help from oo. Just another close human being to talk issues and matter.

Same here.
Re: Tell Us How You Became A Programmer & is there any other prog. In your family? by CryptoCoinr(f): 1:52pm On Aug 15, 2017
Muhammedbashir:

Same here.

Have you checked your email?
Re: Tell Us How You Became A Programmer & is there any other prog. In your family? by badthinds: 1:18pm On Aug 16, 2017
@Muhammedbashir
I have issues checking my mailbox...so I emailed you instead.

Cc: symbian03
Re: Tell Us How You Became A Programmer & is there any other prog. In your family? by Muhammedbashir(m): 2:05pm On Aug 16, 2017
badthinds:
@Muhammedbashir
I have issues checking my mailbox...so I emailed you instead.

Cc: symbian03

Okay, I surprise at first cox have tried severely.
Can u drop your phone number or better still u can message or flash me with my mobile number or WhatsApp (09030875227)

I hope I won't be ban doing this
Re: Tell Us How You Became A Programmer & is there any other prog. In your family? by Muhammedbashir(m): 2:10pm On Aug 16, 2017
Muhammedbashir:

Okay, I surprise at first cox have tried severely.
Can u drop your phone number or better still u can message or flash me with my mobile number (09030875227)

I hope I won't be ban doing this

Thank God, was not ban.

D bot don start to respect me now grin

1 Like

Re: Tell Us How You Became A Programmer & is there any other prog. In your family? by Nobody: 11:34am On Aug 17, 2017
I never even knew the course I wanted to study. Till SS3, I was just in science class. I already had interest in computers, but suddenly after my sister opted in for computer science, I had more interest.

We were offering computer then in school (BASIC) and a friend of mine knew it, learnt a few things from him and then voila after test, I was the highest.

I instantly knew the course I wanted to study, computer science, started trying to do other basic things on BASIC but there was no computer. Once went into the computer room to practice but then computer teacher came to see what I was doing. I just closed it though I still regret that decision till today, because he might have put me through

Fast forward, 3 years later, I am a computer science student in Unilag, 300level, my sister is in finals Yabatech computer science. She is boss in web development, I am into web development though I am in the learning phase, also quite good in VB

1 Like

Re: Tell Us How You Became A Programmer & is there any other prog. In your family? by Ojukwu24(m): 7:43am On Aug 19, 2017
Reading all these reminds me of how I started. I played a lot of games, from Nes to Snes, Mega Drive, Game gear Ps, etc. I have always wondered how it was made. Then I heard about programming. I wanted to know more but no one to teach me.

One day I went to see my cousin and his friend came to visit too. The guy opened the desktop there and started doing what I didn't understand. I asked my cousin what that was and he said it was QBasic. I got interested and wanted to learn but didn't know how to start.

In 2006, during my 1 year industrial training, there was a guy there in our Department who was helping me through little issues with Autocad (I studied Civil Engineering) and seeing how good he was, I asked him if he knew anything about programming. He said no but he can help me with videos and the IDE. That was how I started learning Vb.net.

After so many years of trying out different languages and framework, I decided to pitch my tent with C# and dot net framework generally.

Currently,I use C# (asp.net, dot net core, xamarin, wpf, windows forms), javascript and angularjs.
Re: Tell Us How You Became A Programmer & is there any other prog. In your family? by crunchyDope(m): 8:56am On Aug 19, 2017
mine was a coincidence... i wanted someone to create a program for my personal use so i entered a programming office. told them the functionally of what i want..heck i had no idea about languages i tot all apps are made by one.n ways i started explaining the functionally,i swear they looked me as insane.. any ways some months later i came across one app by mistake and i saw a simple file performing magic and asking for input .na once i search google and d rest they say
Re: Tell Us How You Became A Programmer & is there any other prog. In your family? by Nobody: 10:11am On Aug 19, 2017
Hope you guys don't mind a developer group online meetup?

https://www.friendosphere.com/chat
Re: Tell Us How You Became A Programmer & is there any other prog. In your family? by Kod3007(m): 1:55pm On Aug 19, 2017
DanielTheGeek:

Followed you on Twitter
failed to follow back cry
DanielTheGeek:

Followed you on Twitter
failed to follow back

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Kind Of Technologies Will I Need To Build A Fintech Application? / Learning C++ And Dreamweaver / Whot! A Card Game For Ios,android And Facebook Developed By A Nigerian In The Us

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.