Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,653 members, 7,955,368 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 12:47 AM

Using "Paint Thinner" As Injector Cleaner - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Using "Paint Thinner" As Injector Cleaner (13255 Views)

Which Injector Cleaner Is Most Effective / Can Carburetor / Injector Cleaner Be Used On MAF Sensor? / Can Carburetor / Injector Cleaner Be Used On MAF Sensor? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Using "Paint Thinner" As Injector Cleaner by 2aces(m): 11:10am On Aug 10, 2017
Hello carlanders, as i pick it from the streets, i bring to you guys.

A friend of mine normally add about a litter or two of paint thinner to his fuel tank after each fill up. When confronted, he told me his mechanic adviced him to do so, that paint thinner helps clean the injector, even better than the regular injector cleaners in the market.

Now, am not the kind of person that follow people blindly, so am seeking your opinion on this, expecially from those who have tried it.

Thanks yall.

Re: Using "Paint Thinner" As Injector Cleaner by Nobody: 12:48pm On Aug 10, 2017
The more time I spend on Nairaland the more I start to realize how good imported cars turn to scrap after a few years in Nigeria.

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Using "Paint Thinner" As Injector Cleaner by micklplus(m): 12:58pm On Aug 10, 2017
EgunMogaji:
The more time I spend on Nairaland the more I start to realize how good imported cars turn to scrap after a few years in Nigeria.

You couldnt have said it better!!

10 Likes

Re: Using "Paint Thinner" As Injector Cleaner by Inception(m): 1:31pm On Aug 10, 2017
2aces:

A friend of mine normally add about a litter or two of paint thinner to his fuel tank after each fill up. When confronted, he told me his mechanic adviced him to do so, that paint thinner helps clean the injector, even better than the regular injector cleaners in the market.

Now, am not the kind of person that follow people blindly, so am seeking your opinion on this, expecially from those who have tried it.

Thanks yall.

That thing and the rubber seals used in fuel injector systems are simply sworn enemies! unfortunately it is the seals that end up dying in the war.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Using "Paint Thinner" As Injector Cleaner by 2aces(m): 4:21pm On Aug 11, 2017
Thats very correct bro

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Using "Paint Thinner" As Injector Cleaner by Iolo(m): 7:32pm On Aug 11, 2017
grin grin
Re: Using "Paint Thinner" As Injector Cleaner by Nobody: 7:54pm On Aug 11, 2017
Inception:

That thing and the rubber seals used in fuel injector systems are simply sworn enemies! unfortunately it is the seals that end up dying in the war.

And then unmeasured fuel will enter the combustion chamber and end up in the catalytic converter which will eventually catch fire.

Then it'll be blamed on poor grandmother in the village that followed them to the city and doesn't want their progress.

Worse is to blame it on the poor manufacturer. "That motor no strong at all, na only 6 months I use the thing before e pafuka".

28 Likes

Re: Using "Paint Thinner" As Injector Cleaner by diportivo: 9:43pm On Aug 11, 2017
EgunMogaji:

And then unmeasured fuel will enter the combustion chamber and end up in the catalytic converter which will eventually catch fire.

Then it'll be blamed on poor grandmother in the village that followed them to the city and doesn't want their progress.

Worse is to blame it on the poor manufacturer. "That motor no strong at all, na only 6 months I use the thing before e kpafuka".

11 Likes

Re: Using "Paint Thinner" As Injector Cleaner by erico2k2(m): 11:33pm On Aug 11, 2017
EgunMogaji:
give the dear car 3 months it will sound like cassava Engine, from fuel to grease ahahah

2 Likes

Re: Using "Paint Thinner" As Injector Cleaner by 2aces(m): 9:26am On Aug 15, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Worse is to blame it on the poor manufacturer. "That motor no strong at all, na only 6 months I use the thing before e pafuka".
You mean to tell me its like a situation of enjoying ill gotten wealth for a day and dieing the next
Re: Using "Paint Thinner" As Injector Cleaner by king406(m): 1:44pm On Aug 15, 2017
EgunMogaji:

1 Like

Re: Using "Paint Thinner" As Injector Cleaner by 2aces(m): 12:09am On Aug 23, 2017
erico2k2:

give the dear car 3 months it will sound like cassava Engine, from fuel to grease ahahah
grin

1 Like

Re: Using "Paint Thinner" As Injector Cleaner by 0b100100111: 6:54am On Aug 23, 2017
That's a No No!

It's more advisable to add 2cups of grinded kolanut. That I know lubricates the gearbox efficiently.
Re: Using "Paint Thinner" As Injector Cleaner by gentlechyke(m): 6:57am On Aug 23, 2017
Why will someone use thinner when Whiz product is there to do a nice job on your engine.

Check my profile and contact if you wish to be a wholesaler or retailer. Wide range of engine friendly products
Re: Using "Paint Thinner" As Injector Cleaner by muller101(m): 7:04am On Aug 23, 2017
That thinner will wash all the rust and other unwanted material in the tank and it will result in blocking his nozzles

1 Like

Re: Using "Paint Thinner" As Injector Cleaner by iyisco2001(m): 7:07am On Aug 23, 2017
Kazeems and their deadly advices.

4 Likes

Re: Using "Paint Thinner" As Injector Cleaner by theboss56: 7:13am On Aug 23, 2017
What the mechanic told you is true. I do use thinner ones in a blue moon and not always, when you use it, you will see the difference in your car movement.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Using "Paint Thinner" As Injector Cleaner by chakula: 7:23am On Aug 23, 2017
It will clear all the stains in the injector.
Re: Using "Paint Thinner" As Injector Cleaner by suavetony(m): 7:29am On Aug 23, 2017
Apart from damaging your pump, injector and seals, thinner is not safe at all because of high % VOC content. Please google and read the safety data sheet (SDS)...you will understand better!

1 Like

Re: Using "Paint Thinner" As Injector Cleaner by diportivo: 7:30am On Aug 23, 2017
theboss56:
What the mechanic told you is true. I do use thinner ones in a blue moon and not always, when you use it, you will see the difference in your car movement.

u will buy another engine once in a blue moon too

8 Likes

Re: Using "Paint Thinner" As Injector Cleaner by Rebirth(m): 7:35am On Aug 23, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Sir, God bless you sir. I took the words out of my mouth before I could even think it...

2 Likes

Re: Using "Paint Thinner" As Injector Cleaner by royallord1(m): 7:37am On Aug 23, 2017
one thing that bugs my thoughts is how this our naija mechanics get their ideas from.... imagine putting thinner in ur fuel tank... u are obviously THINNING the life span of that engine....
its only naija mechanic that will tell you this and that has no use in a car.... a car they did not produce... i remember one messed up electrician that in the course of changing my bad AC fan wanted to disconnect the fan from the thermostart all becos it only allows the fan to work when the temprature raises... my guy said the thermostart is useless and connecting it direct is the RIGHT THING TO DO..
. AHHH KAZEEM...

4 Likes

Re: Using "Paint Thinner" As Injector Cleaner by drnoel: 7:37am On Aug 23, 2017
2aces:

Thanks yall.

Obviously a ticking time bomb. Tick tack tick tack!

1 Like

Re: Using "Paint Thinner" As Injector Cleaner by kennymotors(m): 7:42am On Aug 23, 2017
2aces:

Thanks yall.
I was in my friend's mechanic workshop,servicing injector nuzzle,he removed it and soak it inside bottle of tinner ,pls do not spoil your car by adding tinner in your petrol

2 Likes

Re: Using "Paint Thinner" As Injector Cleaner by omoiyalayi(m): 7:45am On Aug 23, 2017
Thinner works well on carburetor I used to use it on my car before and it's ok

Even mechanics use it to clean carburetor so they always recommend it to their customer

Happy birthday to me

Please show me some love

5 Likes

Re: Using "Paint Thinner" As Injector Cleaner by Nobody: 7:46am On Aug 23, 2017

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Using "Paint Thinner" As Injector Cleaner by symbianDON(m): 7:53am On Aug 23, 2017
speaking from experience, paint thinner will damage the rubber seals in your fuel pathway. try this simple experiment, get a little quantity of paint thinner in a small container, get a piece of rubber and leave it in the thinner for a while and see what happens to the rubber.

1 Like

Re: Using "Paint Thinner" As Injector Cleaner by symbianDON(m): 7:56am On Aug 23, 2017
alphadux1:
In as much as it doesn't sound right or professional, there's some sense in it, and it seems plausible. The thinner does no harm to the rubber seals any more than the petrol would do, and it (paint thinner) has the ability to thin the carbon build up on the injectors.
A paint thinner is typically a mixture of Toluene/Benzene and Naphta, and these are from the same source as petrol, and have some similar properties with petrol.

The main concerns would be:

1. Thinners are harmful when inhaled, and a thinner rich fuel mixture could lead to asphyxiation.
2. Thinners would increase the volatility of the fuel mixture and reduce your fuel octane rating as well.

Even though it's not recommended for use, people use it all over the world in their cars.
petrol is made up of aliphatic hydrocarbons and is quite unlike toluene and benzene which are aromatic hydrocarbons. they aren't alike and certainly don't have the same properties.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Using "Paint Thinner" As Injector Cleaner by Nobody: 8:04am On Aug 23, 2017
Re: Using "Paint Thinner" As Injector Cleaner by Nobody: 8:07am On Aug 23, 2017

(1) (2) (Reply)

2003 Honda Civic........ / Signs Of A Bad Catalytic Converter / How To Know The Engine Size Of VW Golf 3 From The VIN Or Engine Number

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.