Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,381 members, 7,819,384 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:20 PM

Signs Of A Bad Catalytic Converter - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Signs Of A Bad Catalytic Converter (13050 Views)

Does Catalytic Converter Actually Reduces Fuel Consumption? / Car Guzzling Fuel? You Might Need Replacing Your Car Catalytic Converter / 4 Typical Signals Of A Faulty Catalytic Converter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Signs Of A Bad Catalytic Converter by jamachi(m): 10:20am On Dec 13, 2019
The catalytic converter is a key component of the exhaust system of a car. It changes some properties of the harmful gases produced as the byproduct running the engine. As a result, the emitted gasses make a less damaging impact on the environment. It’s important to know about the bad catalytic converter symptoms so that you can spot them immediately and take the vehicle to a servicing shop for maintenance.

What Are Bad Catalytic Converter Symptoms?

A failing catalytic converter is not uncommon at all. Any external impact such as debris on the road or overheating of the engine’s internal components can affect it. Let’s see some of the symptoms of bad catalytic converter.

1. Engine Misfiring
The catalytic converter can overheat and show signs of failing when the engine misfires. Also, you will see the similar signs when there is a very rich fuel mixture in the oil tank. Extremely rich fuel mixture causes ignition by making raw fuel entering the converter. The condition is dangerous since it can melt the catalyst components.bad catalytic converter symptoms
Misfiring of the engine could be a warning sign

2. Loss of Power When Accelerating
Losing power during acceleration or going uphill is one of the most common clogged catalytic converter symptoms. Mechanics often misdiagnose this cause, especially in case of partial clogging, and suggest changing of a few components, which is unnecessary.

You can be sure about this problem by applying a simple test. Apart from the obvious low-powered acceleration, you can check the exhaust with your hand. Ask an assistant to hold the car’s rpm at between 1800 and 2000 while you will check the exhaust push with your hand from behind the tailpipe. If you get a hot feeling of exhaust flow, the converter is definitely clogged.

3. Degraded Performance
An overall degradation in the engine performance is another sign. It happens because of the back pressure that the failing converter creates, affecting the engine and preventing it from running freely. It makes your car shake and the sudden burst of pressure can sometimes stall the engine too while you are driving.

4. Reduced Exhaust System Performance
Another way to notice bad catalytic converter symptoms is to keep an eye on the exhaust system’s performance. It will degrade if the converter is failing and the problem can be traced back to an error in the fuel system.

The exhaust system will show degraded performance.
5. Fuel Vapor tongue
If your vehicle has a carburetor instead of a fuel injection, you can be sure of a poor catalytic converter by doing the fuel vapor test. Remove the air cleaner and ask an assistant to flash a torchlight near the carburetor intake. Rev the engine and see if there’s a cloud of vapored fuel over the carburetor. If this is the case, you can assume without a trace of doubt that your car’s catalytic converter has a clog.

6. Increased Emissions
Increasing emissions is one of the bad catalytic converter symptoms you should notice. When a converter is failing, it can’t do its job properly, which is to reduce gaseous emission. So, a high level of carbon emission is the obvious consequence of a bad exhaust system. This is a serious problem as it can lead to the damage of the entire exhaust system if you don’t fix it quickly.

7. Stolen Catalytic Converter
Catalytic converters are frequently stolen due to the precious metals inside. Converters contain small amounts of platinum, rhodium and palladium, all of which have value for metal dealers.

8. Catalytic Converter Need Regular Maintained
Further small symptoms of a bad catalytic converter are: Reduced acceleration, sluggish engine performance, excessive heat under the vehicle, dark exhaust smoke, the smell of sulfur or rotten eggs from the exhaust. Some of those symptoms can also result from other defective parts of the emissions system, so it’s important to get a mechanic diagnose when it’s time to replace your catalytic converter. Keeping your exhaust, emissions and combustion systems in good shape will minimize the risk of your catalytic converter failing before its time to break down – often 10 years or more.

How Long Can You Drive With A Bad Catalytic Converter?
How long can you drive with a bad catalytic converter?
If your beloved car is showing symptoms of bad catalytic converter, you may want to know that driving with a bad catalytic converter is okay or not and how many miles you can drive with the bad catalytic converter. Here is the answer for you.

1. A Bad Catalytic Converter Can Be Driven Indefinitely
Driving with a bad catalytic converter is not too dangerous. If some small parts of your catalytic converter is plugged, you can still drive your car as usual. However, you will see there is a drop in the performance of the catalytic converter. In case the catalytic converter is totally plugged, it will prevent you from running your vehicle. Some situations, the catalytic converter might come to be completely fused directly or overtime, then you need to replace it immediately.

2. A Bad Catalytic Converter Can Burn Through Overtime
The inner fiber of your catalytic converter may be burned through if the car engine is running or burning oil too much. It doesn’t matter if you still drive your car as far as you want, but you will observe a smell and some smoke.

Conclusion
Most of problems related to catalytic converter do not affect the function of your vehicle. But if you have to face with a fully plugged catalytic, keep driving your car is the thing you have to avoid. In some countries, it is illegal if you drive a car with a damaged catalytic converter since smog from your car will cause many bad impacts on environment. Thus, get your car a new catalytic converter is what you need to do in this case.
https://carfromjapan.com/article/car-maintenance/bad-catalytic-converter-symptoms/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Signs Of A Bad Catalytic Converter by tolugar: 10:25am On Dec 13, 2019
I need a catalyst for Corolla 2012 Europe
Re: Signs Of A Bad Catalytic Converter by rentAcock(m): 6:43am On Dec 14, 2019
I don't care what anyone says, the best luxurious car you can buy for Nigerian roads is the Nissan Murano. Strong, stylish and rugged.

1 Like

Re: Signs Of A Bad Catalytic Converter by MrSix: 6:43am On Dec 14, 2019
Ok

Need USA used laptops? (Pay on delivery)
If you're in Lagos or Abuja or have someone in either locations, chat me up.

Contact in my signature

1 Like

Re: Signs Of A Bad Catalytic Converter by Kreamie(m): 6:44am On Dec 14, 2019
Hdhdh
Re: Signs Of A Bad Catalytic Converter by A305: 6:49am On Dec 14, 2019
Op

Aside from 4 and 5, Do you know what you listed is crap? 80% of vehicles in Nigeria gets their Catalytic converter stolen at the port of entry so aside 4 and 6, catalytic converter doesn't visibly shiw these other symtoms you listed.

Charcoal Evap Cannister also works to reduce emission and can be a culprit to all symtoms you listed but the average Nigerian dont care as long as their car cranks and drives fine.

4 Likes

Re: Signs Of A Bad Catalytic Converter by Hoodbilonia: 6:49am On Dec 14, 2019
Just but drom your dealer,simple
Re: Signs Of A Bad Catalytic Converter by hisgrace090: 6:52am On Dec 14, 2019
Last time after reading about the catalyst benefit I went to the mechanic to a certain the condition of mine only to find out that my car have non, I then paid for one and it was fixed and my fuel consumption reduced dramatically.

Nice information.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Signs Of A Bad Catalytic Converter by sonnie10: 6:53am On Dec 14, 2019
This one is Nigeria story. Do we even have a place to do emission test? Are there even emission standards and regulations in the first place?
Some of the cars shipped to Nigeria are mostly those that failed to pass emission test. Replacing an OEM one is very expensive but you must do it for your vehicle to be road worthy abroad.

1 Like

Re: Signs Of A Bad Catalytic Converter by nrexzy: 6:53am On Dec 14, 2019
Nice one...

Would go for maintenance today
Re: Signs Of A Bad Catalytic Converter by jaxxy(m): 6:55am On Dec 14, 2019
Very informative..
Re: Signs Of A Bad Catalytic Converter by gbadaniyi(m): 6:57am On Dec 14, 2019
nrexzy:
Nice one...

Would go for maintenance today
ir nice info
Re: Signs Of A Bad Catalytic Converter by Roon9(m): 7:07am On Dec 14, 2019
Nice one
Re: Signs Of A Bad Catalytic Converter by itzprezy(m): 7:12am On Dec 14, 2019
Na those way get car get this thread..make I pack my moniker comot

1 Like

Re: Signs Of A Bad Catalytic Converter by queenfav(f): 7:14am On Dec 14, 2019
Many Port workers, dealers or mechanics steal it from cars. Was lucky to even see mine was intact!

3 Likes

Re: Signs Of A Bad Catalytic Converter by money121(m): 7:18am On Dec 14, 2019
Noted
Re: Signs Of A Bad Catalytic Converter by apatheticme(f): 7:20am On Dec 14, 2019
rentAcock:
I don't care what anyone says, the best luxurious car you can buy for Nigerian roads is the Nissan Murano. Strong, stylish and rugged.

Dts what my neighbor uses, na everyday her exhaust dey pull, drag follow her come house, mbanu!

#iamokaywithmybenz#teambenzforever#MLalltheway

6 Likes

Re: Signs Of A Bad Catalytic Converter by twinskenny(m): 7:23am On Dec 14, 2019
hisgrace090:
Last time after reading about the catalyst benefit I went to the mechanic to a certain the condition of mine only to find out that my car have non, I then paid for one and it was fixed and my fuel consumption reduced dramatically.

Nice information.
the one for my rx 300 has been stolen angry

2 Likes

Re: Signs Of A Bad Catalytic Converter by whatalife: 7:27am On Dec 14, 2019
Not correct( I mean not at the Port), Most are removed by your average mechanics in conjunction with the panel beaters, trust me on this I see it happen all the time, because my house is close to a mechanic workshop, sometimes I feel like going back to inform the car owners
queenfav:
No be for who even get for e car? Many Port workers, dealers or mechanics remove it from cars. Was lucky to even see mine was intact.

1 Like

Re: Signs Of A Bad Catalytic Converter by queenfav(f): 7:30am On Dec 14, 2019
whatalife:
Not correct, Most are removed by your average mechanics in conjunction with the panel beaters, trust me on this I see it happen all the time, because my house is close to a mechanic workshop, sometimes I feel like going back to inform the car owners
We are saying
the same thing bro, I forget to add panel beaters. That's why I don't take my car for repairs myself, my husband does that and he is good with cars. He sits with them there till it's done or we call the mechanic to come to our house to work on d car, so he can monitor them well.

2 Likes

Re: Signs Of A Bad Catalytic Converter by Kelvin30286063(m): 7:33am On Dec 14, 2019
I've been trying to save to replace my bad catalytic converter for months. I couldn't get myself to save the money. I know it's because the car still runs.
Re: Signs Of A Bad Catalytic Converter by Salatavor: 7:42am On Dec 14, 2019
Ghh
Re: Signs Of A Bad Catalytic Converter by davillian(m): 7:42am On Dec 14, 2019
rentAcock:
Lmao
Re: Signs Of A Bad Catalytic Converter by SammyJac(m): 8:22am On Dec 14, 2019
Where is the primary location of catalytic converter in a vehicle? It's giving me headache locating it.
Re: Signs Of A Bad Catalytic Converter by Nanagom: 8:26am On Dec 14, 2019
How much will it cost to get a good catalyst for Honda Accord 10
Re: Signs Of A Bad Catalytic Converter by Nobody: 8:29am On Dec 14, 2019
I need a catalytic converter for my legs. I don't want my leg to misfire to olosho place anymore.

Something is tell me that I will soon choose one babe on this nairaland for relationship. I have been eyeing one Intelligent and modest lady on this platform. She's still single ...

7 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Police Launch An Online Portal For Reporting Stolen Vehicles / My Camry 2008 A/c / Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.