Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,788 members, 7,841,059 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 08:05 PM

WASSCE RESULTS -Much ado about nothing. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / WASSCE RESULTS -Much ado about nothing. (1023 Views)

WAEC: Lagos Candidates Yet To Get WASSCE Results Two Weeks After Release / WAEC Releases 2018 WASSCE Results: How To Check / WAEC: Abia, Rivers Lead Nationwide In 2017 May/june WASSCE Results [see Top 10] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

WASSCE RESULTS -Much ado about nothing. by charleymed(m): 3:24am On Aug 11, 2017
Sequel to so many discussions that have surfaced online, in this era of uniformed and unrestricted social media.
I wish to draw our attentions to some important things we aren't getting right, and that's the unprecedented and ill-diserved hype for the WASSCE results and other related senior secondary school examination results.

Due to my key interest in academic excellence and achievements, I have religiously followed the unfolding of events that normally follows, when ever the WASSCE results are released. I made it an obligation to carry out this research and even publish my findings without any iota of bias, and I can say i have been into it for more than 8 years with so many interesting stories to tell.

I can remember vividly when I was growing up as a boy, somewhere in Enugu state, I was made to believe that outstanding performances in the senior school certificate examinations is the ultimate test of knowledge and academic consistency. The impression which is not completely incorrect became my gold standard for academic triage. Even when I had doubts about the correctness of such a criterion, events around me didn't stop at reinforcing this impression. My older siblings and a few other people whom i saw as role models at that stage of my life, came out successful in the said exams and there was no room for me to double check this very yard stick.
And then, everything thing was taken, hook line and sinker. And there I was setting targets for myself too and giving sometimes undeserved eulogies, to those heroes of my little world.

Then, days became months and months became years. And then i became older, more independent in thinking, more inquisitive with renewed energy to seek more explanations for things.
Now, I'm not infering that the WASSCE is a total hoax, but it's almost.
When I started my investigations, the first thing I noticed was the unprecedented level of examination malpractice, even among those I held in high esteem.
Initially, I didn't want give up prematurely, since my research was primarily based on government owned secondary schools in my vicinity. I wished it off, blaming lack of funding and poor grooming of the students.
But I didn't stop there, I went further to investigate some renowned private so called missionary schools with inflated reputations,but behold, I was bemused not just by the fact that they were involved in this impunity, but at the level of sophistication for crying out loud.

Then I continued, this time determined to see things for my self in a different way.
Somewhere in 2010 when I have barely finished SS1, I visited my aunt in the northern part of the country, saved up money and registered for the NOV/DEC WASSCE. I studied hard for the exams, since I didn't want to waste the fund even though i was carrying out a research.
Then I sat for the exams, and luckily to me my center was located in the city and northerners have allergy for malpractice, everyone was on his own and that was exactly what I wanted.
I put it upon myself, to get the contact of most of the people that sat for that exams, added them on 2go and kept in touch with them just for the purpose of knowing the outcome of the exams.

When the results were finally out, I quickly checked mine. Surprisingly, I passed everything but the results was not as good as what I'm used to while in the East. And I'm from the East, so if there's anything genetic, then I shouldnt be an exception. But, I later resolved that it was due to the fact that I sat for the exams than earlier normal.
But I didn't stop there, I went ahead to holla at all the people I was in contact with, but to my greatest surprise, most of them them didn't make. Even those that did, had similar grades as me. What then is the problem, because these are people that are higher than me in the academic ladder and have better reading culture, I asked myself.

That experience further intensified my inquisitiveness,and I did further investigations.
Re: WASSCE RESULTS -Much ado about nothing. by charleymed(m): 4:20am On Aug 11, 2017
My findings are as thus:

Though WASSCE is a standard exams, it shouldn't be used as a yardstick for academic stratifications, and for admissions as seen in our universities today. This practice is killing our educational system and we can't afford to allow it continue. I could remember in 2012, university of Ibadan changed there criteria for admission from combination of WASSCE and Jamb to just post utme, due to poor performance of students admitted through that route. And that year alone, the had over 200 students with first Class results in year one.
Currently, a friend in UNN told me that, his school is about to readopt the post utme because of the the poor performances of students admitted with just WASSCE and jamb last year. Likewise, other schools.
For now, WASSCE should remain at just the minimum requirements for higher education (5 credits) and nothing more, pending on when the credibility improves.

Secondly, even though I admire geniuses and people that work against all odds to succeed at what they do, but I appeal that we shouldn't be too quick to ascribing such statuses to people, especially when it's based on a single criterion which credibility is in doubt.
That boy or girl whom you're showering praises and scholarship on because of his or her WASSCE results, might have sat for the exams somewhere in Anambra or Ogun state, where the answers are written on the board.
Let's look for a more credible and holistic way to access people, before opening the flood gate of heaven on them.

Note : This thread is not in any way targeted at any region or tribe. It's purely a work of research. And before you come for my head, I'm not a wailer.
I'm currently studying medicine(penultimate year) in a prestigious university, and not doing too bad.

Finally, let's key in the fight against examination malpractice, and save the future of our country.

Shallom.

2 Likes

Re: WASSCE RESULTS -Much ado about nothing. by Midgut(m): 6:26am On Aug 11, 2017
WAEC is the most corrupt examination in the world! I was mystified by the brazen way one supervisor demanded for money and tried to constrain me to join them in doing exam malpractice in 2012 GCE.
Jamb should revert to jamb/postjamb.

1 Like

Re: WASSCE RESULTS -Much ado about nothing. by Nobody: 6:33am On Aug 11, 2017
Hmm
Re: WASSCE RESULTS -Much ado about nothing. by TheHistorian(m): 6:41am On Aug 11, 2017
Brother..

You said it all.Continuing with this present system of considering O'level grades and UTME percentage only without a proper scrutiny of the aspirants through various tests by institutions poses a great danger at our educational system.

BTW...You seem to be an excellent writer.

2 Likes

Re: WASSCE RESULTS -Much ado about nothing. by charleymed(m): 6:59am On Aug 11, 2017
Midgut:
WAEC is the most corrupt examination in the world! I was mystified by the brazen way one supervisor demanded for money and tried to constrain me to join them in doing exam malpractice in 2012 GCE.
Jamb should revert to jamb/postjamb.
Wow! This is worrisome
Re: WASSCE RESULTS -Much ado about nothing. by charleymed(m): 7:00am On Aug 11, 2017
TheHistorian:
Brother..

You said it all.Continuing with this present system of considering O'level grades and UTME percentage only without a proper scrutiny of the aspirants through various tests by institutions poses a great danger at our educational system.

BTW...You seem to be an excellent writer.
I strongly concur sir. Not really, hoping to be one soon
Re: WASSCE RESULTS -Much ado about nothing. by DrayZee: 7:25am On Aug 11, 2017
Wow. Someone finally discovered this.
Imagine a school preparing so well for WAEC, training their students properly in all the subjects, giving special focus to Mathematics, to such an extent that any student could pick any past question and solve it and get at least a B grade.
Then upon writing the exams, we all felt it was the easiest Mathematics exam we had ever written.
Only for results to come out and everyone was getting between C4-C6. Even the sharpest who usually go for competitions and come out victorious.
Some people might say a C grade is not failure, but for us, it was. Especially knowing that we should all have passed that exam.

1 Like

Re: WASSCE RESULTS -Much ado about nothing. by charleymed(m): 7:41am On Aug 11, 2017
DrayZee:
Wow. Someone finally discovered this.
Imagine a school preparing so well for WAEC, training their students properly in all the subjects, giving special focus to Mathematics, to such an extent that any student could pick any past question and solve it and get at least a B grade.
Then upon writing the exams, we all felt it was the easiest Mathematics exam we had ever written.
Only for results to come out and everyone was getting between C4-C6. Even the sharpest who usually go for competitions and come out victorious.
Some people might say a C grade is not failure, but for us, it was. Especially knowing that we should all have passed that exam.

It's a bad situation we have here
Re: WASSCE RESULTS -Much ado about nothing. by Nabeeltnabs(m): 8:22am On Aug 11, 2017
cum to think of it i score 300 in this year jamb and even i had four (b3) four (c5) and one c4 in my 2014 neco result and i also go 4 dis same stupid waec result in one of our public school here in osun and waec give me 4(D7) 3(e8) 2(f9) i was just like dis nt my result it must be the guy beside me untill i go the registration number 7times before i agree naa the result waec update 4 me bt no be my own personally. waec waec waec the stupid exam one earth.

1 Like

Re: WASSCE RESULTS -Much ado about nothing. by charleymed(m): 1:43pm On Aug 11, 2017
Nabeeltnabs:
cum to think of it i score 300 in this year jamb and even i had four (b3) four (c5) and one c4 in my 2014 neco result and i also go 4 dis same stupid waec result in one of our public school here in osun and waec give me 4(D7) 3(e8) 2(f9) i was just like dis nt my result it must be the guy beside me untill i go the registration number 7times before i agree naa the result waec update 4 me bt no be my own personally. waec waec waec the stupid exam one earth.
sorry
Re: WASSCE RESULTS -Much ado about nothing. by charleymed(m): 5:53am On Aug 21, 2017
Fynestboi, please do something about this thread.
Re: WASSCE RESULTS -Much ado about nothing. by SEEDORF441(m): 8:51am On Aug 21, 2017
Who are to be blamed? Waec?, students? Or schools?

1 Like

Re: WASSCE RESULTS -Much ado about nothing. by charleymed(m): 9:52am On Mar 28, 2018
SEEDORF441:
Who are to be blamed? Waec?, students? Or schools?
Good question

(1) (Reply)

You Can Choose The Essay Writer / . / USA PRESIDENT Donald Trump Approves Scholarships For International Student 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.