Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,322 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:48 AM

Man Made God In His Own Image? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Man Made God In His Own Image? (3348 Views)

Understanding God 101: What If Man Made God / "Who Made God?" / God Created Man In His Own Image? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Made God In His Own Image? by sinequanon: 2:39pm On Feb 14, 2010
Like father like son?

I believe that god is man-made.

In worshipping god, man is suffering his own sin in his own self-judgement. He is a victim of himself.

The religious are imprisoned by doctrine. It is a reflection of their own intolerance and wish to indoctrinate other people.

The religious fear the god they have made. It is a reflection of the fear they wish to instill in other people through their doctrine.
Re: Man Made God In His Own Image? by Joagbaje(m): 6:32pm On Feb 14, 2010
You are right, religion is man made in his search for a god. There is no salvation in religion. But God is not man made. God made man and you know it even if you openly deny it, there is a part of God in you crying to be filled with the love of God. God is not a terror. We are not afraid of God . God is love, he is the answer to the emptiness you have on the inside. You may deny God's existence but You know there is God.Deep inside you know.

Romans 1:20-21
For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: [21] Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

Jesus didnt bring religion, he brought life.

John 10:10
I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

1 John 5:11-12
And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. [12] He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

When you embrace God's love for you, the joy and peace you've always desired will come to you.
Re: Man Made God In His Own Image? by sinequanon: 8:27pm On Feb 14, 2010
Joagbaje:

You are right, religion is man made in his search for a god. There is no salvation in religion. But God is not man made. God made man and you know it even if you openly deny it, there is a part of God in you crying to be filled with the love of God. God is not a terror. We are not afraid of God . God is love, he is the answer to the emptiness you have on the inside. You may deny God's existence but You know there is God.Deep inside you know,

, When you embrace God's love for you, the joy and peace you've always desired will come to you.

You lack peace. I have peace.

You seek 'salvation' from yourself. I don't.

You have an emptiness inside you. I don't.

You don't know love because you don't know how to love.

That is the difference. That is why you made your god.
Re: Man Made God In His Own Image? by DeepSight(m): 9:40pm On Feb 14, 2010
Sinnequanon -

I think you should distinguish between Religion and God.

The very glaring fallacies of religion in no way obviate the logical consistency of the existence of a First Cause and Prime Mover - which is what God is.
Re: Man Made God In His Own Image? by mazaje(m): 10:02pm On Feb 14, 2010
Men most definately created all the gods in their own image and likeness, read all the books that the gods "inspired" men to write and you will see that it is nothing more than the wishes, aspirations and thoughts of men and nothing more. . . . .The god concept is good actually because it is a means to an end, It feels good, because you feel like something greater and loving is taking care of you and protecting your future. It fills you with false confidence. Men created all the gods because of its benefit, The one benefit of being faithful is that often your positive thoughts do translate into positive actions sometimes and those actions have positive benefit. . . . . . . If a person fearlessly faces a disease and treatment because they have faith that God is guiding the process, it could reduce their worry and increase their positive actions. But for those of us that do not believe in all these myths we know that good results are more likely to follow positive actions.
Re: Man Made God In His Own Image? by sinequanon: 10:18pm On Feb 14, 2010
Deep Sight:

The very glaring fallacies of religion in no way obviate the logical consistency of the existence of a First Cause and Prime Mover - which is what God is.

Logic, truth and fallacy are mortal artefacts reflecting limited comprehension. 'Infinite' comprehension has no logic.
Re: Man Made God In His Own Image? by Iyineda(m): 10:19pm On Feb 14, 2010
Another thing that bugs me about the idea of "God", through religion, is that he is seen and worshipped differently across the globe. Europe has/had Christianity, Middle East has Islam, the Jews have. . . Judaism (I'm sure you didn't see that coming), East Asia has its various philosophies, etc.

Let's take "God" according to the Christians. If he sent Jesus to deliver his message to mankind, why didn't he try to directly intervene in more than just one region in such a massive planet like Earth?? Because that left a huge chunk of humanity in the dark (poor Asians, Native Americans, Inuits, Sub-Saharan Africans, Arabs, Persians, . . .) before His brave European messengers had the decency to shed some light to the rest of the world.

I mean, He created Man after all. He should have known that we have trust issues. He could have avoided centuries of war! shocked
Just saying. . .
Re: Man Made God In His Own Image? by sinequanon: 10:20pm On Feb 14, 2010
mazaje:
. . .The god concept is good actually because it is a means to an end. . .

Like most 'means to an end', it is a means to a short-sighted end.
Re: Man Made God In His Own Image? by sinequanon: 10:26pm On Feb 14, 2010
Please note, however didactic I may appear to sound, I recognise that I speak just my own opinion. I respect anyones choice to disagree with me.
Re: Man Made God In His Own Image? by mazaje(m): 10:41pm On Feb 14, 2010
Iyineda:

Another thing that bugs me about the idea of "God", through religion, is that he is seen and worshipped differently across the globe. Europe has/had Christianity, Middle East has Islam, the Jews have. . . Judaism (I'm sure you didn't see that coming), East Asia has its various philosophies, etc.

Let's take "God" according to the Christians. If he sent Jesus to deliver his message to mankind, why didn't he try to directly intervene in more than just one region in such a massive planet like Earth?? Because that left a huge chunk of humanity in the dark (poor Asians, Native Americans, Inuits, Sub-Saharan Africans, Arabs, Persians, . . .) before His brave European messengers had the decency to shed some light to the rest of the world.

I mean, He created Man after all. He should have known that we have trust issues. He could have avoided centuries of war! shocked
Just saying. . .

You have gotten the point entirely. . . . .The absence of a single holy text accepted by any denomination of any religion in history that contains no errors of fact is pretty much a clincher. The fact that all religious text look nothing beside what men have written is also very telling. . . . .Basically, we can rule out the truth of any religion that is based on a text that contains errors of fact, Errors that, while they could not have been recognized as such by the men who wrote them, would have been glaringly obvious to a god who actually knew that, for example, the earth was a sphere, The stars were distant suns, or that the sun was powered by thermonuclear fusion.

That disposes of all of the most popular present day religions, and leaves only a handful of odd-ball sects who might be able to claim that their God did this on purpose (perhaps to keep us ignorant as their endless apologies goes).

I keep saying that men created all the gods because any god with an interest in being worshiped, or obeyed, or followed, or really, anything other than being ignored, would be able to write or inspire a holy book that all who read it will find it very convincing, clear, perfect in its meaning, and/or undeniably true. No supposedly holy text that I have come across even gets close at all, but don't take my word for it, ask the more than two thirds of humanity alive today who are NOT followers of that particular text (whichever it may be). No single version of holy scripture is accepted by so much as a simple majority of humans alive today, much less of humans who ever lived.

If the Koran was so damn convincing, why do the Christians reject it? If the Bible was so damn convincing, why do the Muslims reject it, If the Hindu verder is so convincing while do Christians and Muslims reject it? If either (or any other text) was the word of God, we would all believe it, surely? (Book of Mormon? The works of L. Ron Hubbard? Harry Potter?).
Re: Man Made God In His Own Image? by richjohn1(m): 10:11am On Feb 15, 2010
Believe in God has nothing and I repeat nothing to do with religion! I believe in God and I know one thing for sure he NEVER CREATED any religion
Re: Man Made God In His Own Image? by jagunlabi(m): 10:29am On Feb 15, 2010
Why is god a "HE"?Does that not suggest that god was made by man who simply projected "himself" into his creation?If god had been created by woman, we would've had to use the "she" pronoun, no?
rich_john:

Believe in God has nothing and I repeat nothing to do with religion! I believe in God and I know one thing for sure he NEVER CREATED any religion
Re: Man Made God In His Own Image? by mazaje(m): 12:14pm On Feb 15, 2010
rich_john:

Are you a deist?. . . . . .
Re: Man Made God In His Own Image? by g1(m): 12:18pm On Feb 15, 2010
mazaje how far? you said you will holla, i havent heard from you
Re: Man Made God In His Own Image? by mazaje(m): 12:21pm On Feb 15, 2010
g1:

Sorry Bros. . . .I am no longer coming to Naija this month. . . .Will definately let you know when I am in town. . . . . .
Re: Man Made God In His Own Image? by blackcypha(m): 1:04pm On Feb 15, 2010
g1:

g1 r u in abuja?nd where in abj?r u godwin dat i knoe from lagos?
Re: Man Made God In His Own Image? by g1(m): 1:18pm On Feb 15, 2010
blackcypha:

g1 r u in abuja?nd where in abj?r u godwin dat i knoe from lagos?

yeah am in abuja, am not godwin, if you are in abuja send your number to the email on my profile, so that we go yarn
Re: Man Made God In His Own Image? by richjohn1(m): 4:04pm On Feb 24, 2010
@Mazaje/jagunlabi
I dont like using the word 'god' because I dont much about its origin, I fear the sinister motive of white people I prefer to use Creator/Maker
I believe strongly in a creator but surely not those crap written in the bible as 'god', its ambigious saying there's isn't a creator even though the arguments sounds very logical the arguments I see and read about the existence of god isnt so strong but I feel what I read and watch in astronomy makes my belief about a designer/designers very sensible.
I said designers (plural) because logically its difficult to think only one being could do all these take a car for example the battery made in japan, the steering made in china etc. I know something for sure no one knows everything perfectly but in death theirs full and perfect understanding no one can be sure about any thing in this life as living humans.

(1) (Reply)

A Reasonable Quote Atheist Should Think About / World Cup: Where Is The God Of Isreal Now? / Thread For Pastors And Those Called Into Ministry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.