Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,456 members, 7,819,666 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:20 PM

Politics At Work, Has Anybody Attempted To Sabotage Your Career? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Politics At Work, Has Anybody Attempted To Sabotage Your Career? (987 Views)

10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work / Guaranteed Ways To Sabotage Your Careeer Goals / Words That Sabotage Your Cv! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Politics At Work, Has Anybody Attempted To Sabotage Your Career? by Ndipe(m): 11:22am On Feb 10, 2007
Has anybody ever been a victim or survivor of office politics? It could be the 'misplacement' of your file by your company's secretary, because you had rubbed her the wrong way. At times, race is a factor in getting you booted from a company. As the slogan goes in America, "Blacks are the last to be hired, and the first to be fired". So, in today's competitive economy, with jobs outsourced to India, in the name of globalization and corporate greed, a lot of candidates are applying for jobs that may be out of their reach. Even when you get hired, you have to watch your back, another person may be plotting your downfall. Below is my experience:

My supervisor at one law firm that I worked for, was a pain in the neck. Everyday, she was always on my case, that, finally, I gave up, and yelled at her. It was always one petty stuff in the office, or so. Once, she accused me of not wearing designers to work, and then proceeded to showcase her name brand. Another time, she warned me from having a conversation with one of the female secretaries at work, and even spied on me, to check if I was talking to the lady. From time to time, we would get into a major confrontation, and finally, she reported me to the office manager. Five months later, I lost my job. But I took it in stride, since I know that God, as usual would open another door for me.

The lady, turns out, quit her job, because the new office manager, made life, unbearable to her at the workforce. She joined my former law firm, where my friend was above her. That night, asked me, "Do you know "Claire"? I answered in the affirmative, and, the guy then told me that the girl was acting all scared (because she knew that I worked at the law firm earlier), and was asking him, "Hey, do you know "Ndipe"? Several days later, the woman kept asking him, "Did "Ndipe" say anything about him? I admitted the whole drama to my friend, but urged him not to fire her, based on that, but should accomodate her at the job, based on her work ethics.

We live in a small world indeed!!!.
Re: Politics At Work, Has Anybody Attempted To Sabotage Your Career? by Dovers: 3:16pm On Feb 15, 2007
I can so relate to that.
Politics at work is a reality we all have to handle and live with. Come to think of it, there's politics even at the family level!

Well my situation is a bit different. My boss is scared! When head office barks he shivers and i cant stand it! I hate people who can't take a stand and stick to it. So he never backs me on issues. I always have to watch my back and look out for myself.

People should know that you always have to look out for yourself at work. You dont have permanent friends and the very person you think will always be there to support you, might be the one to put you down. That's how life is, so dont sweat it.

Do your work properly, do your best, and leave the rest to Baba God! He knows best.
Re: Politics At Work, Has Anybody Attempted To Sabotage Your Career? by okeyz(m): 3:20pm On Dec 09, 2009
Dovers:

I can so relate to that.
Politics at work is a reality we all have to handle and live with. Come to think of it, there's politics even at the family level!

Well my situation is a bit different. My boss is scared! When head office barks he shivers and i cant stand it! I hate people who can't take a stand and stick to it. So he never backs me on issues. I always have to watch my back and look out for myself.

People should know that you always have to look out for yourself at work. You dont have permanent friends and the very person you think will always be there to support you, might be the one to put you down. That's how life is, so dont sweat it.

Do your work properly, do your best, and leave the rest to Baba God! He knows best.

SPOT ON !!!
Re: Politics At Work, Has Anybody Attempted To Sabotage Your Career? by daniellsr: 11:51am On Jun 01, 2010
Interesting smiley

One of my friends always wonder there's such
a company totally without office politics.
He even ask the interviewer during the interviews
and tell them that's his criteria to work in the
new company smiley

Any comment?

(1) (Reply)

Ccna Materials Needed. / Place Your Cv On The Internet / Lets Be Frank One Need To Start Something

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.