Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,779 members, 7,810,033 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:04 PM

Does Your Tribe Forebid Any Food - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Does Your Tribe Forebid Any Food (573 Views)

Nigerian Culture: What Act Are Abominations In Your Tribe Culture? / How Much Do You Know About Your Tribe? / Your Tribe Or English, Which Are You Proud Of? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Your Tribe Forebid Any Food by Shadrackmadu(m): 5:05pm On Aug 12, 2017
some part in my community regard coco yarm, goat intestine, monkey unclean!!!! Share ur
Re: Does Your Tribe Forebid Any Food by Nobody: 5:33pm On Aug 12, 2017
Shadrackmadu:
some part in my community regard coco yarm, goat intestine, monkey unclean!!!! Share ur

Goat meat was forbidden on my dad's side. Apparently, it eats everything, including forbidden plants.
Re: Does Your Tribe Forebid Any Food by keishik: 8:38pm On Aug 12, 2017
Snails - in the days of warfare, a special charm was made that forbade all men to eat snails. The women also chose to abstain in solidarity with their men hence snails became totally forbidden.
Cocoyam - Not sure about the history behind it being forbidden but it made sense considering how miserable the crop always looked. Why not use the land and effort to cultivate something more productive? Yams anybody?
Iguana/Monitor Lizards - This one I wish "they" ate just to spare me the constant fright this ubiquitous reptiles give me every time I travel home. One has made our car park its permanent home and we've had to abandon the car shed. The reptile is forbidden from being killed or eaten in solidarity with our brothers across the River Niger who regard the reptiles as incarnates of their ancestors. Hardly a home in my town without a link with our neighbors so it made sense to protect their sensibilities. Heard our neighbors have since abandoned the culture though but no one has acquired the taste for the annoying slithering reptiles.
The Manatee - This used to be very common along the banks of the Niger but apparently, our not so caring neighbors have eaten them to extinction- I've never seen one. Back in the days while our ancestors we're migrating from the ancient obodo Idu, the slippery sea dwellers formed a bridge atop the Ase creek over which our non-swimming forebears stepped over to reach the promised land where they vanquished the original dwellers. The prohibition was in honour of the animals.

1 Like

Re: Does Your Tribe Forebid Any Food by seunny4lif(m): 5:36am On Aug 13, 2017
Dog angry angry
Snake angry angry
Pork grin grin grin

But I and my family dey eat all
The only thing I have not eating is the thing I have not see grin
Re: Does Your Tribe Forebid Any Food by Nobody: 1:06pm On Aug 13, 2017
I'm none believer, but Ethiopian Orthodox Christianly forbid followers from eating Pig meat.

(1) (Reply)

GANI ADAMS: How Aare-ona-kakanfo Title Came To Be / Court Remands Monarch, Other For Allegedly Insulting Ooni / PHOTOS: Ooni Of Ife Visits Governor Umar Ganduje

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.