Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,060 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:14 AM

According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? (10720 Views)

Pastor Tony Rapu On Plastic Surgery: 'The Bible Is Silent About It' / PA Ikhide Ikheloa: The Bible Is A Work Of Fiction, Africans Open Your Eyes / King James Version Of The Bible Is For Homosexuals And Rastafarians–ghanaian Rev (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by buccy(f): 12:35pm On Aug 13, 2017
[ I pray you never experience domestic violence or your loved one is in such a situation, because this your advice makes me shiver for the human race.
[color=#006600][/color]
Zinny25:
This topic isn't an easy one at all but as Christians I believe we should God's set standards. First, God is against divorce. Even if your spouse is beating you, you have entered that means you are in it until death do you part. One may want to argue with the fact that the rate of domestic violence and abuse is on the high side so if one is in such he/she ought to seek for a divorce...God is against it. That is why you should open your eyes before you say I do. Don't rush into marriage, marry someone who has the same vision with you. I have never seen two believers that got married and had issues in marriage that led to divorce. Coming back to the question if a couple is not moving along well, having issues etc the best thing is for them to 'separate' not divorce. Separation gives them time to think, meditate, pray and also seek godly counsel. After some time they can come back together. I think the Bible talks about separation check 1corinthians 7:11
quote author=Zinny25
Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by PastorAji(m): 12:46pm On Aug 13, 2017
Evidenx:
According to the Bible, when a man and a woman divorce (or separate, it's same thing) they are both commanded to remain unmarried, whoever marries the the man who divorced his wife or the divorced wife commits adultery,but they are both permitt,ed to come back together... for God said I hate divorce.

Bless you sir.
but what is yourposition if the other party has married
Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by Zinny25(f): 1:13pm On Aug 13, 2017
[quote author=buccy post=59430234][ I pray you never experience domestic violence or your loved one is in such a situation, because this your advice makes me shiver for the human race.
I stated it categorically that you will hardly see two believers having challenges in marriage that can't be resolved. The only time you see cases of domestic violence is when one or both parties is not a genuine born again Christian. The bottom line still remains marry a believer, someone who believes in the Bible teaching about marriage. So many people in our generation don't believe in marriage, they only go into marriage to have children or other reasons. So when the children are not forthcoming trouble sets in. Marriage is complete with or without children. Divorce and separation is not part of God's plan for marriage.
Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by EverGlorious(m): 2:11pm On Aug 13, 2017
Yuji:

This is also from Jesus directly. Divorce is only acceptable on grounds of infidelity.
Yes a marriage can be annulled in cases of an impediment (eg. Impotency, etc. You can google the rest or ask your pastor/priest). If that was left out in the marriage, that means the marriage never happened, it is invalid.

Listen, Jesus wouldn't contradict Himself or else you think He's not who He says He is. Read the whole chapter of a book or the whole book itself to understand what really it says. Don't cherry-pick. Thank you
Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by EverGlorious(m): 2:21pm On Aug 13, 2017
buccy:
Reading all comments and well this is my personal opinion. First of all, if you are not married or never been married, you have no business giving advice. No woman or man especially when kids are involved will opt for divorce, divorce is heart wrenching, time and energy sapping, let us not talk of the emotions involved.

The Bible was written at a time when men treated their wives with dignity and respect and the wives did sane to their husbands, they indeed loved their wives as christ loved the church. Therefore Jesus said that to avoid promiscuity and people getting in and out of marriage, for flimsy reasons and the fun of it.

I dont honestly think if Jesus was around in this time and sees a woman with a swollen eye or an emotionally battered woman will tell her to remain in a marriage that is obviously not headed anywhere. So she stays there and becomes a bitter person and thinks the world is against her, with all her potentials buried and forgotten.

People have gotten divorced and remarried and that is the best thing that has ever happened to their lives. I dont think they are going to hell for doing that... let he that is without sin cast the first stone!!
Listen dear, Jesus is truly God and truly man. God is timeless, He is not limited to time. The whole time in this world from Genesis to End time can just be like a second in His eyes. He is God! He has seen it all. But He still made all those laws for us to follow.

And why do you think that is? That's because He believes in us, He believes in you. He gave us a sufficient grace and told us to carry our crosses and follow Him.
Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by iphi(m): 3:49pm On Aug 13, 2017
[color=#990000][/color]The number 2 question has been answered very well to my satisfaction but I'm still confused about the number 1 question. What is the fate of two partners that are now separated and one partner has already moved on and marry another but the other refused to marry. If the partner that has decided to move on divorce this new partner and decides to go back to the first partner that did not marry. Has this partner committed a sin of fornication or adultery? For example a man marries a wife separates from her and marry another. This time he divorces this new wife and goes back to the first wife that he separated from, has he committed an abomination before God or did he do the right thing?[b]The number 2 question has been answered very well to my satisfaction but I'm still confused about the number 1 question. What is the fate of two partners that are now separated and one partner has already moved on and marry another but the other refused to marry. If the partner that has decided to move on divorce this new partner and decides to go back to the first partner that did not marry. Has this partner committed a sin of fornication or adultery? For example a man marries a wife separates from her and marry another. This time he divorces this new wife and goes back to the first wife that he separated from, has he committed an abomination before God or did he do the right thing?[/b]The number 2 question has been answered very well to my satisfaction but I'm still confused about the number 1 question. What is the fate of two partners that are now separated and one partner has already moved on and marry another but the other refused to marry. If the partner that has decided to move on divorce this new partner and decides to go back to the first partner that did not marry. Has this partner committed a sin of fornication or adultery? For example a man marries a wife separates from her and marry another. This time he divorces this new wife and goes back to the first wife that he separated from, has he committed an abomination before God or did he do the right thing?
Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by bentuzene(m): 3:54pm On Aug 13, 2017
agbonkamen:
Its a clear issue in the bible that God does not like divorce. but if you must divorce as a man or woman you must remained unmarried but when one of them dies the other party is free to remarry. aside all these I listed, every other things like after divorce the man or woman moves on its called adultery if the both are still alive which is a sin before God. A man's first wife is recognized by God while she is alive and her husband is married to another woman but when she (first wife) dies no wahala.

I sha know that anything that can separate a man from his wife to the extent that it puts a strain on their marriage is not sha good so difference or not, ko mean!
Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by Rapture4real(m): 4:19pm On Aug 13, 2017
agbonkamen:
Its a clear issue in the bible that God does not like divorce. but if you must divorce as a man or woman you must remained unmarried but when one of them dies the other party is free to remarry. aside all these I listed, every other things like after divorce the man or woman moves on its called adultery if the both are still alive which is a sin before God. A man's first wife is recognized by God while she is alive and her husband is married to another woman but when she (first wife) dies no wahala.

Agreed with you totally.Meanwhile divorce is a legal discontinuation of a married life between a man and a woman who ceases to be recognised as husband and wife.Separation is a temporary :stay at home' issue where both are not living together for a while to resolve an issue.The woman still bears the mans surname.They don't have any thing to do another member of opp.sex after which they come together.Separation maynbe recommended when their is constant domestic violence that can take life of a partner.But God is against divorce.

1 Like

Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by Yuji: 4:50pm On Aug 13, 2017
EverGlorious:

Yes a marriage can be annulled in cases of an impediment (eg. Impotency, etc. You can google the rest or ask your pastor/priest). If that was left out in the marriage, that means the marriage never happened, it is invalid.

Listen, Jesus wouldn't contradict Himself or else you think He's not who He says He is. Read the whole chapter of a book or the whole book itself to understand what really it says. Don't cherry-pick. Thank you
All I know is that one can seek divorce over infidelity aka sexual immorality as seen in the chapter and verse I showed. Peace.

1 Like

Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by Nobody: 7:31pm On Aug 13, 2017
Elnida:

the only excuse given In the Bible for a divorce is infidelity.. divorce is so allowed only when one cheats on the other
Divorce isn't allowed.
Marriage is a covenant
It should not be surprising that God declares, in Malachi 2:16, "I hate divorce!" And why does He hate divorce? One reason is that marriage is meant to be a special covenant between a man, a woman, and their God.
Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by Nobody: 7:38am On Aug 14, 2017
agbonkamen:
don't mind her. Its because of civilization and not studying the bible are the cause of divorce rate today. What is happening now were among those things that made our forefathers refused training women. The way an uneducated woman protect, safeguard her marriage is different from the way an educated woman handles her marriage. I am a woman and I know what am saying my friend got married last week Saturday she did traditional, registry and church wedding. She told me that she did court should the man act funny she will just divorce and half his properties. Do you think such person would care about saving marriage from divorce? I am not saying education or civilization is bad but since we are in 21st century, let us try and build our marriage foundation on christ by studying the word of God (bible). my prayer everyday concerning marriage is God anything that will cause me to fail as a wife and mother let it not be my portion till I die and same to my future husband. Do you think a man who loved you, took you to the altar will just wake up one morning to kill you or a woman who loved you as man, agreed to spend her life with you will just decide to kill you as her husband if not that the Devil has entered your union to distroy your marriage. Look at children from a broken home for instance
really, so you are advocating that women should tolerate nonsense from men because of the institution called marriage, and you will come and tell me you went to school. marriage is a MAN and WOMAN working together, not something that should turn the women to super glue while the man forms head of the family
women shouldn't be the only one fighting for their marriage, men should fight for it too.

1 Like

Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by Elnida: 9:26am On Aug 14, 2017
asuustrike2009:

Divorce isn't allowed.
Marriage is a covenant
It should not be surprising that God declares, in Malachi 2:16, "I hate divorce!" And why does He hate divorce? One reason is that marriage is meant to be a special covenant between a man, a woman, and their God.

explain this verse for me pls sister..
Mathew 19:9 I tell U dat anyone who divorces his wife,except for SEXUAL IMMORALITY,and marries another woman commits adultery .
Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by agbonkamen(f): 11:13am On Aug 14, 2017
funmisticqueen:
really, so you are advocating that women should tolerate nonsense from men because of the institution called marriage, and you will come and tell me you went to school. marriage is a MAN and WOMAN working together, not something that should turn the women to super glue while the man forms head of the family
women shouldn't be the only one fighting for their marriage, men should fight for it too.
you are entitled to your own opinion meanwhile I used to think this way, until I sat myself down thought about so many things concerning marriage. What you said is based on personal knowledge impacted by man's teaching but I tell you now if God grnt you wisdom you would understd that marriage built on solid rock of christ is the best. It certain temptation must come in marriage but with a man filled with God's wisdom and a wise woman they shall overcome.

1 Like

Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by Nobody: 11:19am On Aug 14, 2017
Elnida:

explain this verse for me pls sister..
Mathew 19:9 I tell U dat anyone who divorces his wife,except for SEXUAL IMMORALITY,and marries another woman commits adultery .
Here we have two understandings of Matthew 19:9. (1) The one understands that "adultery" in Matthew .19:9 refers sexual immorality. The act of sexual immorality is committed when a person who divorces his mate for some reason other than fornication and marries again has sexual relations with his mate. In order for this person to be saved, the adultery (sexual immorality) must cease, thus demanding the breaking of the marriage entered by one who divorced his mate for some reason other than fornication. (2) The second interpretation states that the "adultery" of Matthew 19:9 is the act of divorcing and remarrying. The one who has committed "adultery" must repent of having divorced his mate and having remarried, resolving in his heart not to divorce and remarry again. He then not only can continue to live with the mate to whom he is married but is obligated to continue that marriage.
Re: According To The Bible Is There Any Difference Between Divorce And Separation? by Evidenx(m): 8:02am On Sep 08, 2017
PastorAji:
but what is yourposition if the other party has married
If the other party is married, then you free to remarry.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What's The Difference Between Christianity And Jehovah Witness? / Would You Prefer A World Where Religion Don't Exist At All? / Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.