Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,609 members, 7,820,168 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:49 AM

FG Warns Of Beef, Dairy Products Scarcity - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / FG Warns Of Beef, Dairy Products Scarcity (11555 Views)

Naira Plunges To N472/$ As Forex Scarcity Worsens / Dollar Scarcity Stops Capital Repatriation By Investors / Please If U Import Milk For Dairy Products And Bakery, U Are Urgently Needed. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Warns Of Beef, Dairy Products Scarcity by gGGODDd(m): 8:49am On Aug 14, 2017
D minister is perfectly right, of all animal products, beef is d number one meat that dominates d Nigerian market n has d highest demand to spice up our cooking pots but d production of beef has been left to d mercy of d fulanis alone n diz fulanis lack d modern techniques of beef production, I doubt they know what artificial insemination is (A.I) so their only means of breeding more calves is jus pen mating or flock mating which doesn't produce hi yield of bred calves but with d use of d Artificial Insemination(A.I) there wud b veri hi yield of bred calves which means more cattles across d country, so indeed d university communities shud teach these herdsmen d use of A.I in breeding programs, secondly, FG shud not fail in establishing ranches to enhance proper grazing n avoid d cases of cattles roaming all over d country 4 green pastures as this maks dem burn off enuf calories which reduces d quantity n quality of meat, Fg govt shud also import some exotic beef breeds eg Agnus, hereford,short horn, limousine, charolaise, D'cementer, Maine-ajou for cross-breeding with our local breeds in Nigeria to improve breeding stock n quality of beef then as for milk production Fg can import exotic dairy breeds like guensey, Jersey, Holstein friesians in USA , brown swiss in Switzerland etc d dairy breeds in nigeria are few e.g D sokoto gudali, adamawa gudali, white fulani, red bororo n these breeds av poor quality milk. also Fg shud carry out tse-tse fly eradication programs to reduce d case of trypanosomiasis which affects our cattles n reduces their population, n also vaccination of our cattles against ruminant diseases. if d fg do all these it will save d cattle industry n prevent beef scarcity, FG shud also venture in general ruminant industry which will involve production of goats n sheeps cuz Maybe we r too dependent on cattle products. d FG govt knows what to do. Generally pple shud b encouraged 2 go into ruminant production lets practice Agriculture to d fullest if truly we're determined to diversify our economy to Agriculture. shoutout the minister of Agriculture Audu Ogbeh, shoutout all graduates n under-graduates of Agriculture. lets strive our best to mak Agriculture d heart of Nigerian economy. am proudly an Agriculturist from d great Delta State Polytechnic, Ozoro Nigeria. Agriculturists! we feed the Nation.
Re: FG Warns Of Beef, Dairy Products Scarcity by PShollzy(m): 8:59am On Aug 14, 2017
Pork production all the way to people whose pork is in their meal list. The only only prolific, healthiest and leanest red meat to meet up the demand of animal protein in the meal of Nigeria. Let's emulate SA, china among others

1 Like

Re: FG Warns Of Beef, Dairy Products Scarcity by bigass123(m): 9:00am On Aug 14, 2017
Suprnov3r:
The so called honesty of Buhari is very dubious. His famed integrity is mere whitewashing propaganda. His own words, actions and inactions puts him at par with any corrupt and ineffective administration

Buhari clearly said he will stop foreign medicals for elected officers... 3 months now he is in London

Buhari did not declare his wealth after he won

Buhari said Abacha did not steal and was not corrupt

Buhari kinsmen which means cousins, nephews and in laws control all the major financial decisions in Nigeria

Buratai and his boys have been fingered in many corruption scandals but they are leading our military arm

Buhari kinsmen stole food donated by Saudi Arabia for IDPs but no one has been punished

CBN was caught selling dollars to the cabal at ridiculous rates when businesses were shutting down due to forex but no one was punished.

Silent recruitment in all top tier positions of Buhari kinsmen and cohorts

Lopsided appointment of his people into government positions and jobs

Media has been silenced with threats and bribes. Even boko haram atrocities are no longer reported

Release of boko haram suspects is a daily reality

Corruption in INEC. All the elections conducted under Buhari has showed gross rigging by INEC in collusion with the police for APC.

Buhari is spending millions of naira sending his children to school abroad. Gej daughters schooled in UNIPORT Nigeria.

Buhari children are marrying oil block private jet billionaires yet GEJ daughter is a commoner, struggling like the rest of us... a redeem church usher living in calabar with her husband

The same president condemned Yar adua during his ill health yet they are after protesters who condemn his hold on power even when not fit

Thousands have been killed by the army... shites and ipob yet they still want us to gej did worse?
Every industry is worse off now than under gej

Millions of jobs lost due to useless forex restrictions. These restrictions have been relaxed under Osibanjo grin meanwhile they ensured the cabal got enough for dollars up north

After you wail finish...come and take handkerchief and for free.
Since you began your wailing ministry, how much have you gained?
What results have you gotten? Stop bothering this platform with your hues and crys, No be only you dey Nigeria or nairaland.
If you're serious, take your complaints to Abuja or at least to your state government house or a TV station. If you need clothes for banner and money to print on them. Say so, people of like minds may donate to your course.
But this wailing must stop, it's Monday morning biko.
Re: FG Warns Of Beef, Dairy Products Scarcity by Ngokafor(f): 9:02am On Aug 14, 2017
I cant even remember the last time beef was eaten in my house..It is very unhealthy with lots of bad cholesterol..Goatmeat,Chicken,Fish of all sorts all the way.
Re: FG Warns Of Beef, Dairy Products Scarcity by donqx: 9:11am On Aug 14, 2017
oh
Re: FG Warns Of Beef, Dairy Products Scarcity by Fidelismaria: 9:28am On Aug 14, 2017
I rily don't give a fvck
make hin scarce na den I go happy
I Avent eaten cow meat in 3yrs yet am still alive
so what's is Dis Buffon of a minister trying to say?
I will go for fish anytime anyday
fvck Hausa Fulani cow meat
Re: FG Warns Of Beef, Dairy Products Scarcity by bigtt76(f): 9:47am On Aug 14, 2017
Well, what do you expect when the fulani herdsmen are now per-occupied with other activities undecided

Truth234:
The federal government has raised the alarm on the rising demand for beef in the country, vis-a-vis its availability, saying the gap could lead to the scarcity of beef and dairy products in the country.

The outlook was given by the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Chief Audu Ogbeh, at a meeting with members of the Governing Councils of the three Federal Universities of Agriculture in Abeokuta, Makurdi and Umudike.

Ogbeh said the country was consuming more cows per day than it was actually breeding, warning that if the disparity was not controlled, it would not be long before the country runs out of beef supply.

Lagos State, according to him, has the largest consumption share of 6,000 cows per day.

He added that the daily demand for cow meat was equally high in the FCT and five other states including, Rivers, Abia, Imo, Oyo, and Kano.

“We are consuming more cows than we are calving. Lagos State alone consumes 6,000 cows per day. Add the figure from Rivers, Abia, Imo, Oyo, Kano States and FCT, it might not be long before we run out of beef,” Ogbeh said.

He described the local cattle breed as about the least in the world, adding on the average Nigerian cows produce less than a litre of milk per day.

According to World Health Organisation (WHO) estimates, Nigeria needs about 1.5 billion litres of milk annually.

Ogbeh said due to the gap, government was spending billions to import powdered and reconstituted milk of low quality without any effect as 37 per cent of Nigerian children are malnourished.

He appealed to the university community to rise up to the challenges by teaching people artificial insemination, saying their prompt response is key towards resolving the crises.

The minister explained that Nigeria cattle produce low dairy yields daily arising from undernourishment and the grazing system for pasture.

“In East Africa, they achieve 15 litres, some 20 litres. In Europe, they achieve 50 litres. The secrets are breeds and nutrition. Here, the roaming cows look lean, with poor meat quality. Cows are not meant to march around. They are not horses,’’ he said.

The minister also enjoined the agriculture universities to be more innovative and enterprising by making it mandatory for every undergraduate to own a farm from 200 level to graduation while examinations should dwell 60 per cent on the success on the farm and 40 per cent on academic work.

http://investorsking.com/fg-warns-of-beef-dairy-products-scarcity/
Re: FG Warns Of Beef, Dairy Products Scarcity by lalababy(f): 9:57am On Aug 14, 2017
not just beef even chicken....they call it ketogenic dieting na only meat these women dey chop now ni. soon beef go finish and they will jejely go back to their dear EBA......... .
Re: FG Warns Of Beef, Dairy Products Scarcity by Abagworo(m): 10:41am On Aug 14, 2017
The more reason why the ancient system of wandering should be abolished and ranches established within the expansive Savannah zone of Nigeria. Irrigation should be employed for dry season pasture.
Re: FG Warns Of Beef, Dairy Products Scarcity by fyneguy: 10:43am On Aug 14, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

What does Audu Ogbeh know?

His senses have not been the same since he received that brain-resetting slap from Obasanjo on that cold morning of January 10, 2005.

Meat can never be scarce,
We have bushmeat, we have dogmeat, we have fish, we also have anu-mmadu.
The FG is indirectly trying to tell us the Fulani Herdsmen are indispensable.

No they aren't.
They should take their cows back to the North.

Our ancestors did not eat Hausa cow meat and they thrived well.
Fulani must leave the South.

Words of an ignoramus

Audu Ogbeh is about the biggest farmer in Nigeria.

He is a consultant to most big farmers in the North and beyond. He was not made a Minister for nothing!
Re: FG Warns Of Beef, Dairy Products Scarcity by JOMAX: 11:20am On Aug 14, 2017
Cows are not meant to march around. They are not horses,’’ he said.

well said. Why not encourage ranching as a private business. With proper irrigation and forraging along hybrids the north alone has more than enough land to support husbandary to international standard. And what happened to access to high value nutritional and competitive stock from the international market? Meanwhile y is no attention given to alternatives as fish, poultry etc. WE NEED TO WAKE UP TO THE TRUTH
Re: FG Warns Of Beef, Dairy Products Scarcity by mfm04622: 11:41am On Aug 14, 2017
5DMindset:
Good riddance for bad rubbish. Human Body was not designed to function well as a cannibalist. We are herbivores by design.

We are not. We are omnivores by design. Our teeth have both cutting and grinding types. Cutting for meat diets and grinding for plant based diets. Our intestines are not as long as herbivores and not as short as carnivores. It is in the middle to take care of both types of diets
Re: FG Warns Of Beef, Dairy Products Scarcity by es144000: 11:46am On Aug 14, 2017
This is an opportunity
Re: FG Warns Of Beef, Dairy Products Scarcity by mfm04622: 11:47am On Aug 14, 2017
Ngokafor:

I cant even remember the last time beef was eaten in my house..It is very unhealthy with lots of bad cholesterol..Goatmeat,Chicken,Fish of all sorts all the way.

No difference between beef and goat meat!
Re: FG Warns Of Beef, Dairy Products Scarcity by Bigboss111(m): 12:08pm On Aug 14, 2017
Hmmm! When everybody seems to be fuming hatred against Fulani. Even a falls from a palm tree and dies, the news men when start accusing Fulani herdsmen. When people are attacked in the church by their rival factions, Fulani herdsmen. Many governors are planning to stop Fulani men from gaining access to the God gifted green fields in Nigeria.

Hatred for PMB as a Fulani man has recently stirred high animosity to cattle breeders who suffer a lot amidst rainfall, scorching sun to provide beef and milk to Nigerians. Sadly, many have lost their lives and cattle to hoodlums for decades but since they don't own any media outfit to relay their grievances. They benefit but little or nothing from government except false accusations and marginalization.

Nigerian Fulani herdsmen are peace loving but due to the porosity of our national borders, many so called Fulani herdsmen have crossed over from neighboring countries into the country causing havoc.

Thus, it is high time the government at all levels should begin to recognize the importance of beef and milk production with a view of supporting cattle breeders with incentives to enhance sustainability before it is too late. Also, private individuals should be encouraged to establish farm centers for beef and milk production. This should be done through tax and monetary incentives to enable them import modern breeds and machinery. Finally, indigenous herdsmen should be educated and enlightened to establish farm ranches nationwide to curb farmers-herdsmen clashes. New techniques of producing green fodder to feed their cattle and other modern inventions in animal husbandry should be introduced to the cattle breeders to encourage them settle down and grow their animal production. Government should also provide conducive atmosphere for marketing and transportation of animal products.

Industries like milk, beef, hides and skin should be established to curb with the alarming rate of unemployment and boost our ailing economy.

Nigeria is a great country, but our politicians have managed to destroy our social cohesion and instill sentiments in our minds resulting to failure of our people to contribute to nation's building.

We MUST join hands to say NO. Let us put Nigeria first.

Long live Nigeria!
Re: FG Warns Of Beef, Dairy Products Scarcity by Ngokafor(f): 12:10pm On Aug 14, 2017
mfm04622:

No difference between beef and goat meat!

Excuse me but there is a difference between the two!!
Re: FG Warns Of Beef, Dairy Products Scarcity by ElmaSpeed(f): 1:13pm On Aug 14, 2017
Which milk is fg importing?
Re: FG Warns Of Beef, Dairy Products Scarcity by mfm04622: 1:47pm On Aug 14, 2017
Ngokafor:

Excuse me but there is a difference between the two!!

There are only 2 types of meat. White and red meat. Fish and chicken are white meat. Beef, pork, and meat from other animals are red meat. Yes, they may taste different but health wise, they are same.
Re: FG Warns Of Beef, Dairy Products Scarcity by Nobody: 2:34pm On Aug 14, 2017
mfm04622:

We are not. We are omnivores by design. Our teeth have both cutting and grinding types. Cutting for meat diets and grinding for plant based diets. Our intestines are not as long as herbivores and not as short as carnivores. It is in the middle to take care of both types of diets

Then proceed with your diet, I have no problems with how you choose to eat. Not my business, i just stated my opinion in order to keep and maintain optimum health. I do not eat meat and I have never been sick.
Re: FG Warns Of Beef, Dairy Products Scarcity by joinnow: 2:58pm On Aug 14, 2017
Is there any way we can just finish it so that the Fulani's go return back to base(Niger).
Here, the roaming cows look lean, with poor meat quality. Cows are not meant to march around. They are not horses,’’ he said.
Above highlighted
Seem Audu is agreeing to the fact that nomadic farming is bad.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

6 Reasons Why Your Business Fails / Nigerian Breweries To Launch Multi-billion Naira Project In Enugu, Laud Ugwuanyi / Someone Help Me With Efcc Address In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.