Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,734 members, 7,824,082 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:15 PM

Made In Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Made In Nigeria (2061 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Made In Nigeria by 50kobo: 7:32pm On Feb 10, 2007
Why do we prefer imported goods to Made in Nigeria products?

Would you buy Chivita over Five Alive?

Would you buy a Zinox computer over a HP Presario?

I'm considering starting a manufacturing business in Nigeria, but I have been told it will fail because Nigerians won’t patronise the goods.
Re: Made In Nigeria by LePhilippe(m): 7:58pm On Feb 10, 2007
To be honest i would rather buy a Zinox computer because it is cheaper. You can't really blame Nigerians though!! Made in Nigeria products are notorious for being a cheap rip off!!
Re: Made In Nigeria by JosBoy4Lif(m): 8:02pm On Feb 10, 2007
Same reason North Americans prefer Honda Cars, than Ford or GM. Those companies are losing money everyday!
Re: Made In Nigeria by 50kobo: 8:51pm On Feb 10, 2007
but look at made in china products, years ago they were considered fakes, but people still purchased their products, now the image of made in china products is changing, they are no longer soley associated with low quality. im sure there are some nigerian products out there that have good quality,
Re: Made In Nigeria by LePhilippe(m): 8:58pm On Feb 10, 2007
But, i think this is the case with richer Nigerians. If a poor man sees a Chivita juice for 70Naira and Five Alive for 100Niara I think we know what he will choose. Besides, Zinox computers are so cheap!!!!! I dont know about quality
Re: Made In Nigeria by chirawe(m): 10:36pm On Feb 10, 2007
I think it is high time we wake up to buyingindegenious products to make our country grow just like others instead of prefering imported products
Re: Made In Nigeria by egoldman(m): 11:00pm On Feb 10, 2007
someone needs to ask Indians for help here ,they will teach you how they made them citizen come to love made in india wink wink
Re: Made In Nigeria by naijacutee(f): 4:55pm On Feb 11, 2007
I guess it is possible to make goods in Nigeria with a higher quality than imported goods. Just show Nigerians the difference and they will buy. Good quality speaks for itself. When I was younger, I went with my mum to the market and a certain fat lady was selling plastic basins that were made somewhere in Delta. No one paid any attention to her until she turned one of the basins upside-down on the ground and jumped on it several times. It didn't break! Within 30 minutes, her whole stack of basins dissappeared and she had people asking her when next she would be around so they could buy for their brothers, sisters, aunties etc. Well, my mum bought 2 of those basins and guess what? they are still in my house till today! (This must have been about 8/9 years ago b t w!!!)
Re: Made In Nigeria by Ojukwursg(m): 12:50am On Aug 08, 2007
When was the last time any of you guys ate local rice?

Patronizing made in Nigeria products should start with purhasing and consumption of locally grown rice. Rice importation is one on the biggest foreign importation in Nigeria.

Cheers.
Re: Made In Nigeria by tundewoods(m): 10:04am On Aug 08, 2007
@ Topic
Answer is very simple, due to the presumed Quality & Durability.But that doesn't mean that the Dangotes or Stan Eke's are not smiling to the Bank.What these to individuals have in common is that they are both indigeneous manufacturing CEO's that believe in their Nigerian Brands.

@50 Kobo
"I'm considering starting a manufacturing business in Nigeria, but I have been told it will fail because Nigerians won’t patronise the goods".

With the above statement you may eventually fail if you listen to what those paranoid folks are saying.A faded idea or dream that will always be bottled inside you because you didn't believe in your success of your Nigeian Brand.

Local Power inverters manufacturers are smiling to the bank now because they were able face the challenge and tackle Nigeria's greatest fears concerning made in Nigeria Goods which as i earlier stated are Quality & Durability.
Re: Made In Nigeria by obua: 12:21pm On Aug 08, 2007
Some made in Nigeria products are quite okay.
Generally manufacturing in Nija is tough, but why are Indians, Lebanese and Chinese streaming in. to succed in Nija manufacturing you must be tough and determined to succed. You must get world class info to come out with good products
Many Nija made goods are bad because the makers are not quality conscious and well informed.
Nija electric cables , foams, plastics are okay.
My policy is to buy nija made whether they are good or bad. Eventually our goods will get better. In the 1950s, Korean and Japanese goods were mocked. Now nobody can do that.
Lets patronise, lets encourage, lets educate
Re: Made In Nigeria by appetitto(m): 12:26pm On Aug 08, 2007
Lets buy Nija made no matter what. Nija na we own.
Actually our industrial base is weak, so many goods have to be imported. If we use the right processes and materials,we should come out with good products
Re: Made In Nigeria by yodiyokun(f): 1:15pm On Aug 08, 2007
Which kin yeye Five Alive - the South African one or Naija one, There are 2 types.

I prefer Chivita anyday over five alive - but hey thats my personal preference.
Re: Made In Nigeria by yodiyokun(f): 1:19pm On Aug 08, 2007
Ojukwu_rsg:

When was the last time any of you guys ate local rice?

Patronizing made in Nigeria products should start with purhasing and consumption of locally grown rice. Rice importation is one on the biggest foreign importation in Nigeria.

Cheers.

What are you saying? when i was in naija - I loved ofada rice , even sweet sensation started selling it in leaves.
At least I ate it twice a week - It was a delicacy at my office canteen.

Anyday the caterers brought ofada - na rush

I just left naija 1 yr ago, so my experience isnt too far off.
Re: Made In Nigeria by Ojukwursg(m): 7:43pm On Aug 08, 2007
yodiyokun:

What are you saying? when i was in naija - I loved ofada rice , even sweet sensation started selling it in leaves.
At least I ate it twice a week - It was a delicacy at my office canteen.

Anyday the caterers brought ofada - na rush

I just left naija 1 yr ago, so my experience isnt too far off.

Thats cool. You are one in a thousands of Nigeria who prefer Ofada to the nutrients striped imported rice. That is a good start.
Cheers
Re: Made In Nigeria by 50kobo: 10:43pm On Aug 10, 2007
i shall try some ofada rice then (im also guilty of not buying Nigerian goods)

@tunedewoods, true what you say, if you sell a quality product, people will buy it irrespective of where it is made, but i still think that our preference to foreign goods undermines our locally produced goods.
Re: Made In Nigeria by Seun(m): 11:00pm On Aug 10, 2007
There's nothing wrong with buying something from abroad if it's affordable. The most important thing is to do what you do best and outsource what you don't do so well. I'm not going to buy an inferior product just because it's Nigerian. There's no virtue in that; it will only encourage inferiority. If you see me buying Chivita, it's because it's very good!
Re: Made In Nigeria by 50kobo: 11:55pm On Aug 10, 2007
@seun
yes agreed, quality comes first, however there is a tendency to prefer foreign goods (even when sometimes these foreign goods are of low quality). its that mentality that anything non Nigerian = good, anything Nigerian must be trash

(1) (Reply)

How To Set Up A Tv Station / Home Health Nursing Service In Abuja! / CBN Directs Charge Of Stamp Duties Of NGN 50 On Bank Transfers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.