Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,333 members, 7,819,148 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:59 AM

The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! (39170 Views)

Differences Between A CV And A Resume / What Is The Difference Between A Resume And A Cover Letter? / Write A Resume That Gets You Hired: 6 Common Resume Mistakes To Avoid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by sixbon2000(m): 8:06am On Aug 17, 2017
Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by Desdola(m): 8:07am On Aug 17, 2017
OK nice info from you
Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by EdoBoy90(m): 8:07am On Aug 17, 2017
Resume and CV
Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by Ramos16(m): 8:15am On Aug 17, 2017
Ignyte:
Dear job seeker, even thoughyou use both words interchangeably they don't mean the same thing. Read below and stop living in Ignorance.

CV
A CV can be easily mistaken for a résumé, however, there is a notable difference. A résumé is supposed to be carried by applicants with no relevant career experience or no experience whatsoever. On the other hand, CVs are to be carried by candidates with relevant experience.
Format of a CV
A CV normally includes the following elements −
Name − Full name of the applicant without general salutations like Mr., Ms.
Address − the permanent address.
Summary − a brief description of what you have achieved in your profession.
Academic Qualification − your academic qualification
Additional Knowledge − Skills you have acquired beyond your profession.
Acquired Skills − Soft Skills
Programming Languages − if any
Software Tools − Software tools you use in your profession (MS Word, Excel)
Operating System Platforms − operating system you use (Windows, Mac)
Database Management System − if any
Personal Skills − soft skills
Experience Breakdown − detailed explanation of your experience
Achievements & Interests − Hobbies. Achievements in professional life
Declaration − stating all information provided about the applicant as true.

The First Picture Below is a CV

Resume
A résumé is a document used to present an applicant’s backgrounds and skills while applying for new employment. It’s a summary of a candidate’s job experience and education.
Format of a Résumé
Although the templates of résumés vary from profession to profession, the most widely accepted format consists of −
Address − the permanent address
Objective − the aim of your professional life
Education − your academic qualification
Skills − areas of expertise in your profession
Declaration − stating all information provided about the applicant as true

The Second Picture Below is a Resume.

Now that you know this; Want a creative Resume? Please contact me on whatsappp/Call: 07037534762 or email:peterjev6@gmail.com

Source: https://web.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1438092429604232&set=a.613972015349615.1073741829.100002104662296&type=3&theater

Cc: Lalasticalala

Resume and CV are same things Bro, Resume is to US and other American Countries while CV is more likely to be requested in Europe or British colonies, while they both have different formats of writing them, they represent the same thing, and no company will request for both because they are the same thing.
Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by yelinco1(m): 8:19am On Aug 17, 2017
NICE ONE OP.
Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by heysquare(m): 8:34am On Aug 17, 2017
lailo:
from what u put up there,they are same thing.
thank u! cv and resume r just different english but same meaning while one is british english the other is american english

3 Likes

Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by Webman007: 8:40am On Aug 17, 2017
The best part especially for creative graduates is to have a Portfolio Website/Resume...

it shows all you have

It grows as you grow....

Read 10 Reasons why you need a Portfolio Website/Online Resume Here
http://doerstechnologies.com.ng/10-reasons-why-you-need-a-portfolio-website

Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 8:48am On Aug 17, 2017
Ignyte:
Dear job seeker, even thoughyou use both words interchangeably they don't mean the same thing. Read below and stop living in Ignorance.

CV
A CV can be easily mistaken for a résumé, however, there is a notable difference. A résumé is supposed to be carried by applicants with no relevant career experience or no experience whatsoever. On the other hand, CVs are to be carried by candidates with relevant experience.
Format of a CV

Resume
A résumé is a document used to present an applicant’s backgrounds and skills while applying for new employment. It’s a summary of a candidate’s job experience and education.
Format of a Résumé
Although the templates of résumés vary from profession to profession, the most widely accepted format consists of −

Now that you know this; Want a creative Resume? Please contact me on whatsappp/Call: 07037534762 or email:peterjev6@gmail.com

Source: https://web.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1438092429604232&set=a.613972015349615.1073741829.100002104662296&type=3&theater

Nice.
Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by wildchild02: 9:39am On Aug 17, 2017
Educative

Check my signature to order your football jerseys and get FREE CUSTOMIZATION
Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by ohil: 9:56am On Aug 17, 2017
You are confused. Internet has made every dullard a Champion. There is no different between the 2, apart from nomenclature. Pls make your research.
Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by Wumi261(m): 10:08am On Aug 17, 2017
OP
How about a resume for graduate of agric. science or the same template can be use?
Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by Funkychic(f): 10:18am On Aug 17, 2017
Noted @ Op
Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by jessyb: 11:00am On Aug 17, 2017
if you reside in Lagos and willing to make good income partnering with a real estate company, call or whatsapp 07084910289
Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by tpapi: 11:41am On Aug 17, 2017
nice
Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by dipznano: 12:12pm On Aug 17, 2017
tunisbaba:

Actually, there is NO difference between a resume and a CV. The difference: One is American English (Resume), one is British English. Any other differences are imagined.

Google is ur friend!
Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by dipznano: 12:14pm On Aug 17, 2017
ITbomb:
i see clean formatted CV and Resume here and presumably PDF format

I had an experienced with a HR man who said most of the time applicants are not called is because they didnt submit their CV/Resume in MS Word for their software to capture data easily.

I wonder how these CV format here will hold when opened in another system and probably another version of MS Word

Exactly! Format gets distorted
Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by jessetom(m): 12:32pm On Aug 17, 2017
OP this is wrong!!
You know nothing about what you are saying.
Granted, resume and CV are two completely different documents used for job application, but your basis for distinguishing one from the other is pretty much wrong.
Please get your facts right and stop spreading wrong information to people on the internet that are too lazy to surf the web and verify information that is posted in the largest source of unverified information, NAIRALAND! . Instead, they type, "Nice one OP. Very educative".
Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by SmartyPants(m): 1:48pm On Aug 17, 2017
lailo:
from what u put up there,they are same thing.

Nigerians are generally fond of delving into things they do not particularly understand, without doing the proper research. C.V is just a term more common in Europe, and Resume is more common in the US.

Now in Europe typically you are expected to submit a more detailed document but that does not mean there is a real difference between a C.V and a Resume.

This is a false dichotomy.

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by Freewoman(f): 2:32pm On Aug 17, 2017
Ignyte:

CV
Format of a CV

Resume
Format of a Résumé

Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by Drnice: 2:38pm On Aug 17, 2017
OP, u are very WRONG!!! According to Oxford, CV is English(British) Format, while Resume is American(Latin) Format. Just as we have Sire(British) & Sir(Latin).
Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by Ignyte(m): 9:19pm On Aug 17, 2017
tunisbaba:

Actually, there is NO difference between a resume and a CV. The difference: One is American English (Resume), one is British English. Any other differences are imagined.

According to??

Please you've got google, USE IT.
Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by Ignyte(m): 9:25pm On Aug 17, 2017
Shebi, I will just post something Ni... The guy that did the US and Canada thing has a more reasonable point than that Oxford dictionary guy tho. Anyways, last last use whatever suits you. But please anything more than two pages is NOT a resume, Issa CV!!

Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by Ignyte(m): 9:28pm On Aug 17, 2017
I want to thank everybody posting links to what I have said oh. English Speakers are shouting Europe and America, If you want add Brazil sef
Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by Ignyte(m): 10:30pm On Aug 17, 2017
Sanchez01:
This is so wrong. The major difference between them is the bulkiness of content. CVs are more detailed and explicit and is not bound by number of pages while a resumé is lighter in content and is only required to highlight previous positions and roles carried out.

Another thing to note is that CVs are more required in the academic fields as it requires detailed academic works, researches, conferences attended alongside their timelines.

Even though I didnt state this as you have, this is what I mean. Not those people mentioning oxford dictionary
Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by Ignyte(m): 10:33pm On Aug 17, 2017
ITbomb:
i see clean formatted CV and Resume here and presumably PDF format

I had an experienced with a HR man who said most of the time applicants are not called is because they didnt submit their CV/Resume in MS Word for their software to capture data easily.

I wonder how these CV format here will hold when opened in another system and probably another version of MS Word

Created on the latest MS Word and it opened on MS Word 2010 exactly the same

Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by Smartjob1(f): 1:23am On Aug 18, 2017
Thanks Op for sharing.

How tired are you looking for a job? Would you want to connect to your favourite employers easily? Would you want to employ that great candidate easily? Find, connect, contact, employ, share, and chat with your favourite employers, jobseekers, business partners and mentors. Join the world's smartest job network www. bejite.com today. Sign up now and update your CV and profile. Join now. It is free!

Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by Ignyte(m): 2:51pm On Aug 18, 2017
sapele914:
They are the same thing,what is the difference between the boot of a car and the trunk of a car?one is British English the other is American English,what is the difference between a college and a university?What is the difference between soccer and football?

I already shared extra links to prove their difference. Go and share your intelligence with the british and american websites please, come back and tell is how that goes
Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by Nobody: 3:02pm On Aug 18, 2017
Angelb4:
I don tire for all these CV matter o. Work no dey una still dey tell us different versions of CV

No mind dem jabless yours!
CV expatriates cheesy
Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by Nobody: 3:52pm On Aug 20, 2017
5Kay:
I love this post

saw ur pm bro. hope all is well
Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by Nobody: 9:13am On Jul 16, 2018
If you have a good writing skill you can join to our team of resume writers. We have an open positions right now.
Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by Vikzywhyt(m): 9:50am On Jul 16, 2018
Vacancy for a business developer in a security company located in Lagos. Requirements: Bsc and a minimum of 2 years in marketing, qualified applicants should contact Vickroon consult via 09076431227.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Guinness Nigeria Global Graduate Program 2016 - Finance / These 10 Things On Your CV COULD Be The Reason You’re Not Getting Hired / Nigerian Army List Of Candidates Shortlisted For 73rri Pre-screening Examination

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.