Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,895 members, 7,817,629 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:54 PM

6 Maintenance Tips To Keep Your Car Running - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 6 Maintenance Tips To Keep Your Car Running (8504 Views)

7 Fantastic Ways To Keep Your Old Car Running Strong / Five Fluids You Should Check To Keep Your Car Running Smoothly / Toyota Camry: 5 Tips To Keep Your Car Running For A Long Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Maintenance Tips To Keep Your Car Running by mokoshalb(m): 6:24am On Aug 20, 2017
Do you want your car to be running in top-notch condition? Below are given a few car maintenance tips which you can perform yourself. Follow these suggestions diligently if you want your car to run smoothly and not give you any problems.

1. Engine oil - Oil is a lubricant which reduces friction between parts of the engine. It also assists in heat dispersion. Engine oil absorbs heat that is produced in the engine combustion chambers, thus preventing overheating. Oil also prevents rusting, corrosion and damage to essential engine parts. Since oil is so important for the healthy functioning of the engine, you should take care to regularly check the oil level. Remember to top up with the correct grade of oil as specified by the manufacturer. Do not exceed the maximum recommended level when topping up.

2. Tyres - Tyre care is also essential for vehicle safety. Correctly maintained tyres can improve mileage and extend the tyre life. Correctly maintained tyres are important for vehicle safety while driving at higher speeds on highways. Regularly check tyre inflation, especially when going on long drives. Also, make sure wheel alignment is perfect. Vibrations in the steering can indicate a problem with tyre balancing.

3. Battery - You can take simple steps to ensure the car battery is in good condition as it is a key component of the car's electrical system. Faulty batteries can lead to car breakdowns. Make it a habit to regularly check the battery terminals to make sure they are clean and tight. Check the battery electrolyte level. If topping up is needed, use only distilled water. Consider replacing the battery if it has not been replaced in 3-5 years as sometimes batteries can fail suddenly without any prior warning.

4. Brakes - You have to be extra careful about keeping the brakes of your car in good condition as they are vital for safety. Be on the lookout for squealing sounds or unusual vibrations whenever you apply brakes while driving. If you encounter such problems, get the brakes checked immediately at a service station. They may need to be replaced. Ensure the brake fluid is full and only use recommended brake fluid for your vehicle.

5. Lights - Check the lights regularly to make sure they are working properly. Lights are important for vehicle safety while driving at night. You should also check other electrical components like horns and window demisters regularly to ensure proper functioning.

6. Cooling system - Never underestimate the importance of the car's cooling system. Check the coolant regularly and only use recommended coolant for your car. Inspect the cooling system only when the engine is cold. Do not remove the radiator cap while the engine is hot. If the cooling system needs regular refilling there could be a leak in the system.

Read more: https://forum.mokoshalb.com/threads/6-maintenance-tips-to-keep-your-car-running.777/
mynd44 lalasticlala

5 Likes

Re: 6 Maintenance Tips To Keep Your Car Running by dljbd1(m): 7:29am On Aug 20, 2017
I cannot believe this shocked... FTC first this year. I knew the year was gonna be one awesome one. cheesy It is never late for things to turn around and this is just the beginning...thank you Lord. cool
Happy Sunday pals grin
Re: 6 Maintenance Tips To Keep Your Car Running by shikshark: 7:29am On Aug 20, 2017
U forgot to mention spark plugs, one spark plug out of 4 or 6 can mess up a wonderful journey

3 Likes

Re: 6 Maintenance Tips To Keep Your Car Running by buygala(m): 7:30am On Aug 20, 2017
Avoid having sex in your Car... sad

The Nigerian God of automobiles doesn't like it... Please don't as me why undecided

8 Likes

Re: 6 Maintenance Tips To Keep Your Car Running by echelons(m): 7:32am On Aug 20, 2017
Nothing new.
Re: 6 Maintenance Tips To Keep Your Car Running by aboyaji(m): 7:32am On Aug 20, 2017
Very nice.
Re: 6 Maintenance Tips To Keep Your Car Running by aboyaji(m): 7:34am On Aug 20, 2017
shikshark:
U forgot to mention spark plugs, one spark plug out of 4 or 6 can mess up a wonderful journey
you need not check that one. You'll know when your plug needs a change. The sound of the engine will tell you that.
Re: 6 Maintenance Tips To Keep Your Car Running by calddon(m): 7:34am On Aug 20, 2017
It doesn't have to be something new, its a very worthy reminder... Thanks @op

1 Like

Re: 6 Maintenance Tips To Keep Your Car Running by muller101(m): 7:38am On Aug 20, 2017
dljbd1:
I cannot believe this shocked... FTC first this year. I knew the year was gonna be one awesome one. cheesy It is never late for things to turn around and this is just the beginning...thank you Lord. cool
Happy Sunday pals grin
they don't pay on Sundays. So ur FTC is as good as nothing
Re: 6 Maintenance Tips To Keep Your Car Running by dljbd1(m): 8:01am On Aug 20, 2017
muller101:
they don't pay on Sundays. So ur FTC is as good as nothing
What! undecided cry angry
Seun...is this true? angry

1 Like

Re: 6 Maintenance Tips To Keep Your Car Running by Nobody: 8:41am On Aug 20, 2017
Simply put, go for maintenance after every 3000 miles to avoid this kind of thread. cheesy

I never check my car engine, oil or fluid level, I no be mechanic. Leave every job for professionals.
Re: 6 Maintenance Tips To Keep Your Car Running by pointstores(m): 9:24am On Aug 20, 2017
great
Re: 6 Maintenance Tips To Keep Your Car Running by legalweb(m): 9:36am On Aug 20, 2017
This is educating.

Re: 6 Maintenance Tips To Keep Your Car Running by Nobody: 9:55am On Aug 20, 2017
@mokoshalb,
which coolant should one put in the radiator ? Water or radiator coolant?
Re: 6 Maintenance Tips To Keep Your Car Running by Nobody: 9:56am On Aug 20, 2017
shikshark:
Hi. My mechanic just quoted 12k for me. Is that what it cost to get a Toyota plug?
Re: 6 Maintenance Tips To Keep Your Car Running by shikshark: 10:10am On Aug 20, 2017
Cretaceous:

Hi. My mechanic just quoted 12k for me. Is that what it cost to get a Toyota plug?
12K is too much for a set of spark plug, the last of i got was less than 7,000 (denso, 4pcs) and its what ive been using since january
Re: 6 Maintenance Tips To Keep Your Car Running by erico2k2(m): 10:13am On Aug 20, 2017
Cretaceous:

For howmany Plugs?
Re: 6 Maintenance Tips To Keep Your Car Running by erico2k2(m): 10:15am On Aug 20, 2017
SirJeffry:
Simply put, go for maintenance after every 3000 miles to avoid this kind of thread. cheesy

I never check my car engine, oil or fluid level, I no be mechanic. Leave every job for professionals.
You are meant to check it though,
you are meant to check your Tyre,level of coolant, Oil and also gaze for a sec ur hydrolic level
Re: 6 Maintenance Tips To Keep Your Car Running by Nobody: 10:19am On Aug 20, 2017
erico2k2:

For howmany Plugs?
Honesty, I don't know. I just got a Nigerian used car and took the car for regular servicing and maintenance. He said he'd need to change the spark plug. he gave me a quote:
engine oil: 16.3k
break pad (4 set); 25k
filter: 2.5k
cc: shikshark
Re: 6 Maintenance Tips To Keep Your Car Running by erico2k2(m): 10:28am On Aug 20, 2017
Cretaceous:

Honesty, I don't know. I just got a Nigerian used car and took the car for regular servicing and maintenance. He said he'd need to change the spark plug. he gave me a quote:
break pad (4 set); 25k
Seriously let me stop you there,
How on earth do you not take serious something that could END YOUR LIFE?
PS
Nigerians form BIG man , they think getting hands dirty is a sign of poverty,
My Advice to you is this,learn more about your car, if a fake part is fitted into a potential risk reducing element in your car and something happens, E DON Be B dat!
Re: 6 Maintenance Tips To Keep Your Car Running by modsfucker: 10:33am On Aug 20, 2017
Thank you
Re: 6 Maintenance Tips To Keep Your Car Running by mokoshalb(m): 10:34am On Aug 20, 2017
Cretaceous:
@mokoshalb,

which coolant should one put in the radiator ? Water or radiator coolant?
radiator coolant of course, but you might use water if you on a very short journey and have no coolant available.
Re: 6 Maintenance Tips To Keep Your Car Running by Nobody: 10:37am On Aug 20, 2017
erico2k2:

Seriously let me stop you there,
How on earth do you not take serious something that could END YOUR LIFE?
PS
Nigerians form BIG man , they think getting hands dirty is a sign of poverty,
My Advice to you is this,learn more about your car, if a fake part is fitted into a potential risk reducing element in your car and something happens, E DON Be B dat!
I don't get. What is forming big man here? I was able to confirm the price of engine oil on jumia but couldn't confirm the price of others from anyone. So, I don't get your point. This mechanic was recommended to me as a truthful and honest person. but I still think he played a fast one on me. between, this ain't my field.
Re: 6 Maintenance Tips To Keep Your Car Running by erico2k2(m): 11:13am On Aug 20, 2017
Cretaceous:

I don't get. What is forming big man here? I was able to confirm the price of engine oil on jumia but couldn't confirm the price of others from anyone. So, I don't get your point. This mechanic was recommended to me as a truthful and honest person. but I still think he played a fast one on me. between, this ain't my field.
This is my point, its no one's field, there are basic you as a CAR Owner should know about a car.See in the developed countries, this forms part of your driving lesson, cos you are made to demonstrate you can check basics of a car.So saying its not your field does not CUT it.So things like howmany plugs your car uses should be known to you.if not things like this would happen ie being taken for a ride.
let me tell you teh basic you should know about your car for your own personal safty
1 the specification of Engine Oil for your car
2,kind of fuel used
3 Tyre size
4 Nos of Plugs
5 How to check coolant & Oil level
These are MUST for all car Owners unless you are BLIND.
Re: 6 Maintenance Tips To Keep Your Car Running by eghuan1(m): 11:28am On Aug 20, 2017
Cretaceous:

break pad (4 set); 25k

Oga, first of all,what car did you get.

Depending on the car and oil you want to use and the mechanic workshop you are using, oil varies from 4500 upwards. Break pads are 6k for a two wheel drive and maybe 12k for 4WD. oil filter is 1500.

If you are still not sure, go to total filling station in alapere or ShopRite Oniru (if you are based in Lagos) they will help you out.
Re: 6 Maintenance Tips To Keep Your Car Running by Nobody: 12:11pm On Aug 20, 2017
erico2k2:

This is my point, its no one's field, there are basic you as a CAR Owner should know about a car.See in the developed countries, this forms part of your driving lesson, cos you are made to demonstrate you can check basics of a car.So saying its not your field does not CUT it.So things like howmany plugs your car uses should be known to you.if not things like this would happen ie being taken for a ride.
let me tell you teh basic you should know about your car for your own personal safty
1 the specification of Engine Oil for your car
2,kind of fuel used
3 Tyre size
4 Nos of Plugs
5 How to check coolant & Oil level
These are MUST for all car Owners unless you are BLIND.
Okay, noted.
Re: 6 Maintenance Tips To Keep Your Car Running by Nobody: 12:13pm On Aug 20, 2017
eghuan1:

Oga, first of all,what car did you get.

Depending on the car and oil you want to use and the mechanic workshop you are using, oil varies from 4500 upwards. Break pads are 6k for a two wheel drive and maybe 12k for 4WD. oil filter is 1500.

If you are still not sure, go to total filling station in alapere or ShopRite Oniru (if you are based in Lagos) they will help you out.

Thanks bro. It was a Toyota corolla 2012 1.8
it was Mobil oil he said he was going to buy. I checked the price on Jumia and it was exactly 16.3k that he quoted for me. But I suspected foul play with the break pad (25k)
Re: 6 Maintenance Tips To Keep Your Car Running by EdoBoy90(m): 6:43pm On Aug 20, 2017
Functions of Engine oil In Cars.
1) It increases the lifespan of an engine.
2) It protects the engine from rust and corrosion.
3) It also protects the engine against tear and wear
4) It allows parts/ components to move freely or it decreases the coefficient of friction.
5) It provides a protective film on mental surfaces.

A car should be serviced as and when due. It should be done in 5000km mileage covered or distance covered. Change of engine oil, oil filter and cleaning of air filter. Sometimes, people forget to clean their air filter. The AC compressor filter should be cleaned also.

Thanks and happy Sunday all

(1) (Reply)

Overheating Problem With My Isuzu Rodeo / Let discus overheating And general radiator cooling system ! / Dumb Cars Will Be Dead In The Long Run. Only Smart Cars Will Survive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.