Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:52 AM

Police Harrassment. Will It Ever Cease? - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Police Harrassment. Will It Ever Cease? (405 Views)

Police And Civil Defence Harrassment / Shocking: A US Based Nigerian Uber Man Involved In sexual Harrassment / Military Harrassment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Police Harrassment. Will It Ever Cease? by mrblayze(m): 7:51am On Aug 20, 2017
Since I don't know any political bigwigs or high-ranking military personnel, and live in an environment where we lock our doors not because of thieves and conmen, but because of policemen, I am using the only thing I can to seek justice: My pen.

I was working on my final year project on a friend's laptop yesterday evening, when three men suddenly marched into my room, reeking of alcohol. I didn't even have a chance to ask who they were before one of them started shouting "Who owns this room?". My girlfriend was in the room, and immediately she asked them who they were, one of them started exchanging words with her, and threatened to slap her if she says another word. I noticed some others standing outside barricading my door with guns. The ones inside immediately began a search of my room. They searched my house, but upon not seeing anything incriminating, looked at the laptop I was using, and carried it. They asked for the owner, who also happened to be around in the same compound. I told them who he was, but they didn't seem to want to know or say anything reasonable. One of them opened my laptop, opened a browser, took a look at my homepage, which was Google search, and said "Look at it. Let's take it to the station". I was dumbfounded, speechless and embarrassed. I asked what I did to warrant seizure of my laptop, but nobody was listening or replying. They were in possession of the laptop and were already walking out when the owner of the laptop came around; and because he knew one of them, after much pleas, they then gave the laptop back to me and left. The whole while we were holding down the same one who was very aggressive and kept threatening to beat up my girlfriend. I have heard several incidents where policemen harass helpless people to extort money from them, which would definitely have been my case, had that laptop reached their station, but I guess I was stupid not to listen and left my doors open. My neighbourhood is a safe one, with almost zero cases of robbery. We lock our doors because of illegal police invasions. I felt frustrated and dehumanised, and hope something is done to curb this in the future. If anyone wishes to know, I learnt they are attached to the Police Station at Nekede Police Division, along Ihiagwa Road, Owerri. My doors are now locked, always.

Cc. Mynd44
OAM4J
NPF
FGN
Re: Police Harrassment. Will It Ever Cease? by Nutase: 8:00am On Aug 20, 2017
Yes now. When you part with the right amount it WS over.

(1) (Reply)

Benue State Governor's Aide Murdered In Cold Blood / Young Boy Has Been Declared Missing (photo) / Rejoinder - Nigeria Ranks 3rd In Global Internet Crimes Behind UK, US – NCC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.