Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,663 members, 7,816,704 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:42 PM

7 Perfect Ways To Better Your Mental Health - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 7 Perfect Ways To Better Your Mental Health (15336 Views)

Ban On Codeine: Lagos Unveils Comprehensive Strategy To Address Mental Health / I Have Ocd And Some Other Mental Disorder... I Hate Myself... Please Help... / 7 Perfect Homemade Remedies For Hair Breakage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Perfect Ways To Better Your Mental Health by michaelo2(m): 6:25pm On Aug 22, 2017
Being human can be so stressful, that sometimes we look for anything that can help us cope with the stress.

Now a busy, stressful life will not only affect your mental health, it also begin to diminish your body’s defenses against disease and invading organisms.

While reducing your stress levels can go a long way in helping you cope through your day-to-day activities, sometimes it’s not always just about stress we have to deal with.

In order to improve your mind, you must work along with your body. Everything is connected when it comes to your health, and you simply can’t correct one aspect of your self and neglect the other.

These are perfect 7 ways to better your mental health that will also improve your overall well being.

1. Exercise

If you have thought of or even quit your excercise routine to ease of the stress, you are wrong, studies suggest that aerobic activity—things like jogging, walking, cycling, and even swimming—can help diminish feelings of anxiety or depression, improve mood, and raise self-esteem.

That sounds like a great reason for you to start back with that shelved plan!

2. Reduce Your Caffeine Intake

Yes I know what just came to your mind, you drink caffeine to give yourself a boost; but please don’t forget, caffeine is a drug, and the “safe” dosage varies widely from person to person.

A stimulant that causes you to stay alert at low doses, high doses can cause anxiety and irritability; too much can prove toxic, even deadly.

With so many other options available, why not just cut caffeine from your diet altogether huh?

3. Don’t Drink Alcohol

Before you start to defend yourself with that quote of 'alcohol drowns your sorrows', may be you should think of what happens when those sorrows become an ocean and drown you, doesn't feel glamorous anymore huh.

A recent study suggests a link between alcoholism and anxiety disorders like post traumatic stress disease -PTSD.

While drinking heavily can put a person at a higher risk for a car accident or an act of violence, even more worse it can actually twist the brain, making it harder to recover mentally from a traumatic experience.

While the research is still new, it seems heavy drinking could increase anxiety, so why not stay off alcohol completely?

4. You Have To Stop Smoking

Recent research shows smoking is actually a very damaging mental activity for you as a person.

Smokers who successfully quit were polled six months after and all reported lower levels of depression, anxiety, and overall stress levels as compared to before.

The effects on the former smokers’ lives were actually comparable to that of antidepressants.

And if you think you can't, do a 3D x-ray of lungs and put it on your wall next to a non-smoking lung, believe me, you'd have a change of heart.

5. You Need To Breathe Clean Air

Air pollution does play a role in our mood. Recently, the American Psychological Association commented “evidence is mounting that dirty air is bad for your brain, that high levels may damage a children’s cognitive abilities, increase adults’ risk of cognitive decline, and possibly even contribute to depression.

But it’s more than that: it might have even started before birth, with an unborn child’s exposure to air pollution possibly leading to memory or attention deficit problems later in life.

6.You Need Meditation

For some, it might seem like an obvious conclusion, but meditation—especially mindfulness meditation—could be a wonderful way to feel better mentally.

A recent report from Johns Hopkins University pointed to 47 studies that suggest it’s a good way to relieve stress, anxiety, or depression.

This is great news because in the past there have been very few scientific studies done on the subject.

7. You Need To Steer Clear of Pesticides

No one wants pesticides used on their foods; unfortunately, it happens all the time. There’s even worrying evidence suggesting that prolonged exposure can affect your mental health.

A recent report examined the link between a depression diagnosis in farmers and specific pesticides: “those who used organochlorine insecticides were up to 90 percent more likely to have been diagnosed with depression than those who hadn’t used them.

For fumigants, the increased risk was up to 80 percent.” Like caffeine and alcohol, pesticides should be avoided.

Living an uncluttered, unrushed, natural lifestyle is a good way to cut short the sources of anxiety before they start.

http://www.healththismoment.com/2017/08/7-ways-to-better-your-mental-health.html?m=1

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 7 Perfect Ways To Better Your Mental Health by shollyBi(m): 9:28pm On Aug 22, 2017
Nice write up but above all, SLEEP 6 TO 8 HOURS DAILY, it makes you refreshed and mentally alert.

By the way, I'm dedicating my first FTC ever to my crush, Niyinlola, Gosh! I love that gal

6 Likes

Re: 7 Perfect Ways To Better Your Mental Health by obojememe: 9:28pm On Aug 22, 2017
grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Perfect Ways To Better Your Mental Health by KingsleyCEO: 9:28pm On Aug 22, 2017
And don't vote BUBU again... That's the best way to maintain your health grin grin

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Perfect Ways To Better Your Mental Health by Franco93: 9:30pm On Aug 22, 2017
You need rest
Re: 7 Perfect Ways To Better Your Mental Health by pepperandsalt(m): 9:30pm On Aug 22, 2017
Good write up. Pls add what we need to replace them

1 Like

Re: 7 Perfect Ways To Better Your Mental Health by Dottore: 9:31pm On Aug 22, 2017
Stop smoking weed especially cheap ones and other narcotics.

Stop arguing with females especially nagging ones.

Stop giving girls a head.

8 Likes

Re: 7 Perfect Ways To Better Your Mental Health by paiz: 9:32pm On Aug 22, 2017
Do not argue with an Aboki

2 Likes

Re: 7 Perfect Ways To Better Your Mental Health by LordKO(m): 9:33pm On Aug 22, 2017
@OP

You're on point.
Re: 7 Perfect Ways To Better Your Mental Health by tosyne2much(m): 9:35pm On Aug 22, 2017
This is very useful. I learnt one or two things
Re: 7 Perfect Ways To Better Your Mental Health by simplyshade: 9:36pm On Aug 22, 2017
Good write-up
Re: 7 Perfect Ways To Better Your Mental Health by youngerikina40(m): 9:37pm On Aug 22, 2017
O my god.
How can an average Nigerian stop all dis things nah. undecided undecided undecided
As a matter of fact, i don't do almost all dis things bt somethings i jst discover daht am going gaga : grin cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Perfect Ways To Better Your Mental Health by admissionrunz: 9:40pm On Aug 22, 2017
do you know that you will still die even if u do all those things mentioned above?

2 Likes

Re: 7 Perfect Ways To Better Your Mental Health by Radiohead6(f): 10:00pm On Aug 22, 2017
I love pana
Re: 7 Perfect Ways To Better Your Mental Health by Nobody: 10:03pm On Aug 22, 2017
Meditation is definitely good for the soul.
Re: 7 Perfect Ways To Better Your Mental Health by Apipia: 10:11pm On Aug 22, 2017
Knowing that this is copy and paste. If you will live a tranquil life, the greatest man who ever lived, Jesus Christ, gave practical lessons in mental health and interpersonal relationships in Bible book of Mathew Chapters 5,6,7 and in verse 28 of chapter 7 says "When Jesus finished these sayings, the effect was that the crowds were astounded at his way of teaching"
But on your point 2 scientists agree to a large degree that consumption of coffee is good for one's well-being, and I agrees, I have been at it for over 30 years
Re: 7 Perfect Ways To Better Your Mental Health by Lewaluv(f): 10:16pm On Aug 22, 2017
Number 6 is vrry important.

1 Like

Re: 7 Perfect Ways To Better Your Mental Health by engrkaz(m): 10:21pm On Aug 22, 2017
Avoid MMM and bet9ja

2 Likes

Re: 7 Perfect Ways To Better Your Mental Health by Thobiy(m): 10:22pm On Aug 22, 2017
Good Write Up, but Op the list is not complete without rest(sleep)
Re: 7 Perfect Ways To Better Your Mental Health by engrkaz(m): 10:25pm On Aug 22, 2017
I am not understanding... Like seriously? Somebody can not use otapiapia in peace again?

1 Like

Re: 7 Perfect Ways To Better Your Mental Health by Thobiy(m): 10:27pm On Aug 22, 2017
Radiohead6:
I love pana
undecided uhmn, what is pana
Re: 7 Perfect Ways To Better Your Mental Health by Alexbrain(m): 10:53pm On Aug 22, 2017
Discovering your talents and building up your skills with be a very productive way to tackle unemployment and become an entrepreneur.
Check out this free online book that will help you with that
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/657738
http://okadabooks.com/book/about/talent__the_bomb/12751#
Re: 7 Perfect Ways To Better Your Mental Health by izzy4shizzy(m): 1:56am On Aug 23, 2017
No.11 Dont surport Arsenal

1 Like

Re: 7 Perfect Ways To Better Your Mental Health by izzy4shizzy(m): 1:57am On Aug 23, 2017
Dottore:
Stop smoking weed especially cheap ones and other narcotics.

Stop arguing with females especially nagging ones.

Stop giving girls a head.

Which one is cheap weed again..

"Stop giving a head" what is that one

Are you sure you are not under the afluence on incohol
Re: 7 Perfect Ways To Better Your Mental Health by GMBuhari: 2:03am On Aug 23, 2017
grin

Vote Buhari and keep calm grin

Baba is on point
Re: 7 Perfect Ways To Better Your Mental Health by GMBuhari: 2:24am On Aug 23, 2017
izzy4shizzy:
No.11 Dont surport Arsenal
grin

Bet why? Arsenal whyyyyy?
Re: 7 Perfect Ways To Better Your Mental Health by Dottore: 3:37am On Aug 23, 2017
izzy4shizzy:

Which one is cheap weed again..

"Stop giving a head" what is that one

Are you sure you are not under the afluence on incohol

It's obvious you are either ignorant of a lot of things like types of weed an what it means to give a head. Or you are very irredeemably "under the afluence on incohol" deal with that.

1 Like

Re: 7 Perfect Ways To Better Your Mental Health by Generalyemi(m): 6:43am On Aug 23, 2017
every Nigerian have at least one. mental problem
Re: 7 Perfect Ways To Better Your Mental Health by ziggy1702(m): 6:44am On Aug 23, 2017
sometimes these researches and studies are even conflicting and confusing. anyway the best advise is to do things in moderation.

1 Like

Re: 7 Perfect Ways To Better Your Mental Health by osuohak(m): 7:12am On Aug 23, 2017
Very important, op forgot to mention number 8.

STOP MASTURBATION. Please this goes to the Vaseline crew in the house.
Re: 7 Perfect Ways To Better Your Mental Health by roqrules04(m): 7:43am On Aug 23, 2017
I don't know how to meditate

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Did You Feel When You Went For Your Last HIV Test? / Your Experience In The Hands Of Nigerian Nurses / Nairalander Donates Blood To Celebrate His Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.