Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,265 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:38 AM

UEFA Champions League Draw On 24th August 2017 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / UEFA Champions League Draw On 24th August 2017 (81132 Views)

Liverpool Vs Arsenal (3 - 1) On 24th August 2019 / UEFA Champions League Quarter Final Draw On 16th March 2018 / Manchester United Vs Leicester City (2 - 0) On 26th August 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UEFA Champions League Draw On 24th August 2017 by cstr1000: 9:31pm On Aug 24, 2017
andrew444:

So drinkwater and stones are world class players?lol,you are so funny,dats why England hardly win major trophy,even as good as aspilicueta,he can't make the Spain team,but he will walk easily to The English team
xabi alonso was not world class when liverpool bought him. He became world class at liverpool.
But stones and drink water and make them world class. They are talented.
Re: UEFA Champions League Draw On 24th August 2017 by Lalas247(f): 9:33pm On Aug 24, 2017
erosimo:

Up liverpool
Never walk alone wink
Re: UEFA Champions League Draw On 24th August 2017 by Konami94: 9:37pm On Aug 24, 2017
Simeonarome:

Actually Chelsea's group comes first before Madrid.
Why would Chelsea's group come first? Roma is not a very strong team and it wouldn't be in the headlines should they fail to qualify from their group. They are certainly not as strong as Spurs and Dortmund.
Re: UEFA Champions League Draw On 24th August 2017 by Konami94: 9:42pm On Aug 24, 2017
malton:

You are really delusional.

This is not an IPOB issue. Don't get emotional over nothing.

There's still a gulf in class between Barca and PSG.
The only gulf in class is with Messi, take him out and Barcelona would be pretty ordinary. They have only won 1 champions league without Messi in their entire history.
Re: UEFA Champions League Draw On 24th August 2017 by Nobody: 9:42pm On Aug 24, 2017
Sanchez01:

Yes! I have always mentioned that Guardiola is nothing but an average coach who was fortunate enough to have coached one of the greatest teams ever.

Frank Rijkaard laid the blueprint for Guardiola's success. The team already had Giuly, Eto'o, Abidal, Puyol, a benched Xavi and Iniesta when the likes of Deco and Yaya You're held sway. The team had Gianluca Zambrotta, Lilian Thuram, Milito, Ronaldinho and many others.

The 2007-08 remains the entrance to the emergence of Barcelona's greatness in modern day football and it was neither orchestrated nor crafted by Guardiola.

Is it surprising that the same Guardiola has not had any European success after leaving Barcelona? As a matter of fact, Heynckes' Bayern team boasted a formidable style of play than Guardiola's tiki taka's.

Guardiola remains an average coach with tons of luck on his side.

You sabi football. Guardiola is nothing but an average coach with luck. Rijkard was the one who positioned Barca. I called Guardiola's bluff when he didn't win the Champions League with Bayern. I still consider him the one that destroyed Bayern ball. Heynckes laid a solid pressing foundation for Bayern and Guardiola game with his overrated tiki-taka.
EPL will further prove him average.
Re: UEFA Champions League Draw On 24th August 2017 by malton: 9:51pm On Aug 24, 2017
cstr1000:

Then why did neymar leave barcelona for PSG? If it is not about the money?
And why is ronaldo threatening to come back to england if the tax men don't leave him alone.
Yes, i agree that spanish team have a reputation. But that reputation was built on consistent success as a result of unprecedented wealth. It is not a special spanish quality. It is just a result of wealth-driven success.
Real madrid is a giant today because franco a spanish king spent spanish wealth on it and made it a national symbol.
It is similar to what quatar is doing now with PSG

Players like Neymar are an exception to the rule. Even in his own case, it's been said many times that Barca offered the least financial benefits of all the teams that were after him at the time.

His is the case of a man who thinks he can chase the money seeing as he's won all that there is to win already. While he's a money grabber, he first went after his dream. At the time he joined, he never would have dreamt about a day when he'd join PSG. There's nothing PSG is doing that the likes of Chelsea have not done. They did all they could to sign Ronaldinho and Eto'o back then but failed. Teams like that just aren't appealing to real players, except mercenaries.

On the contrary, every player finds Madrid attractive. The only players that may turn down Madrid are those who hold dreams of playing for Barca someday. Even at that, some of them still join Madrid regardless - Isco for one.

Even during the Franco era, Barca slugged it out with Madrid for the best players like Di Stefano. English teams don't dare come close when these teams fight over players because they know it'll only end in defeat. Not because they lack financial might, but because they lack the allure.

Players always prefer Barca/Madrid due to their history and traditions, and not because of money. The only advantage there is that the money enables them to get those players who have always wanted to be at their teams. The English teams however, find it hard to attract even second-tier talents despite having all that money. What do you make of that? There's no player Barca will sign today that Man U. city, or Chelsea cannot afford to sign. But will the player agree to join those teams when Barca come calling?

Money is important, but ambition ranks first for most good players.

2 Likes

Re: UEFA Champions League Draw On 24th August 2017 by Nobody: 9:53pm On Aug 24, 2017
Princefrankie1:

Lol. Naysayers again. Guardiola average? Lol. There is nothing I will not read on this forum o.

Rijkaard 2007 first 11 consisted of:

VALDES

MARQUEZ >> PUYOL >> OLEGUER >> VAN BRONCKHORST

EDMILSON >> DECO >> VAN BOMMEL

GUILY >> ETO'O >> RONALDINHO.

Rijkaard ended the 2007 season trophyless. Leaving Barcelona with too many old guards and an underperforming team.

Meanwhile, Pep Guardiola in 2006, won promotion for Barca B in his debut season as their coach playing wonderful, scintillating, possession based football which was later nicknamed tiki taka.

That made the Barcelona board to appoint him even though he was unproven at that point at the big stage. They saw the way the B team played. They wanted him to deploy same tactics to the senior team.

On his first day, Guardiola said: “These three (Ronaldinho, Deco and Samuel
Eto’o) are not in my mind for the future, we will be going forward without
them.

Ronaldinho, Deco, Edmilson, Gio dos Santos, Ezquerro, Crosas, Oleguer and Zambrotta were all shipped out. That is almost all of Rijkaard's first 11. Except just goalkeeper Valdes and Puyol.

Just look up the names in Rijkaard's first team players. Did Pep use any of them? He showed them the door. Total overhauling, without breaking the bank on new players. He promoted several fringe players to the first 11 from the La Masia academy and made them play the greatest football ever seen.

Pep Guardiola built the greatest Barcelona team with which he won all the trophies contested for from the scratch. They played the kind of football never seen before in the history of the round leather game.

Pep Guardiola first 11 in 2012 were all from the Barcelona La Masia academy.

Victor Valdes >> Martin Montoya, >> Carles Puyol, >> Gerard Pique >> Jordi Alba, >> Xavi, >> Sergio Busquets >> Andres Iniesta, Pedro, >> Lionel Messi >> Cesc Fabregas.

That is why he is regarded as a GENIUS by people who know his history.

How then can you say such a man is OVERRATED??

How can you say he won because RIJKAARD laid the blueprint?

How?? What blueprint??

Think again bro.

We dey watch am for Man city naa. Soon na Eyimba or Ifeanyi Ubah FC go sign an
Re: UEFA Champions League Draw On 24th August 2017 by Simeonarome: 9:54pm On Aug 24, 2017
Arondizuogu:

You sabi football. Guardiola is nothing but an average coach with luck. Rijkard was the one who positioned Barca. I called Guardiola's bluff when he didn't win the Champions League with Bayern. I still consider him the one that destroyed Bayern ball. Heynckes laid a solid pressing foundation for Bayern and Guardiola game with his overrated tiki-taka.
EPL will further prove him average.
Yes you're so right bro
This what have been trying to let all these barca fans know. Because they believe so much in him they fail to realize that there's nothing special in him. He's just average and comparing him to Mourinho is a great insult
Mourinho is the only reason why I as a Chelsea fan can admire Man u
Re: UEFA Champions League Draw On 24th August 2017 by Collins10(m): 9:56pm On Aug 24, 2017
CaptPlanet:
Abeg who get that Lieke Martens number? She been give me before but I lost it.
That bae is fine!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: UEFA Champions League Draw On 24th August 2017 by Nobody: 9:58pm On Aug 24, 2017
cstr1000:

PSG as a team is stronger than barcelona. That is a fact.
The only world class players in barcelona are messi, suarez and busquet.
Now compare to PSG.
Anyway, pray you don't meet them. una go collect.
Their body go tell them. Even with referee dem go collect am for free
Re: UEFA Champions League Draw On 24th August 2017 by chiefolododo(m): 9:58pm On Aug 24, 2017
Sheuns:

Which surprise? They had an easier group last season. How far did they go?
have you started watching ball in 2011? I don't think so. Tottenham reached quarter final in 2011, man city didn't make round off 16 for about 3 seasons , nobody is talking about that. You ass anal fans are disgusting. Be warned before I change am for you
Re: UEFA Champions League Draw On 24th August 2017 by cameeeeel(m): 9:59pm On Aug 24, 2017
Princefrankie1:

Lol. Naysayers again. Guardiola average? Lol. There is nothing I will not read on this forum o.

Rijkaard 2007 first 11 consisted of:

VALDES

MARQUEZ >> PUYOL >> OLEGUER >> VAN BRONCKHORST

EDMILSON >> DECO >> VAN BOMMEL

GUILY >> ETO'O >> RONALDINHO.

Rijkaard ended the 2007 season trophyless. Leaving Barcelona with too many old guards and an underperforming team.

Meanwhile, Pep Guardiola in 2006, won promotion for Barca B in his debut season as their coach playing wonderful, scintillating, possession based football which was later nicknamed tiki taka.

That made the Barcelona board to appoint him even though he was unproven at that point at the big stage. They saw the way the B team played. They wanted him to deploy same tactics to the senior team.

On his first day, Guardiola said: “These three (Ronaldinho, Deco and Samuel
Eto’o) are not in my mind for the future, we will be going forward without
them.

Ronaldinho, Deco, Edmilson, Gio dos Santos, Ezquerro, Crosas, Oleguer and Zambrotta were all shipped out. That is almost all of Rijkaard's first 11. Except just goalkeeper Valdes and Puyol.

Just look up the names in Rijkaard's first team players. Did Pep use any of them? He showed them the door. Total overhauling, without breaking the bank on new players. He promoted several fringe players to the first 11 from the La Masia academy and made them play the greatest football ever seen.

Pep Guardiola built the greatest Barcelona team with which he won all the trophies contested for from the scratch. They played the kind of football never seen before in the history of the round leather game.

Pep Guardiola first 11 in 2012 were all from the Barcelona La Masia academy.

Victor Valdes >> Martin Montoya, >> Carles Puyol, >> Gerard Pique >> Jordi Alba, >> Xavi, >> Sergio Busquets >> Andres Iniesta, Pedro, >> Lionel Messi >> Cesc Fabregas.

That is why he is regarded as a GENIUS by people who know his history.

How then can you say such a man is OVERRATED??

How can you say he won because RIJKAARD laid the blueprint?

How?? What blueprint??

Think again bro.
i agree with you to the extent that Pep Guardiola established nd made his own team. however, thinking that Guardiola was d one that introduced tiki taka style of football was wrong. Tiki taka was mainly nd genuinely introduced by Barca legend Johan Cruyff doing his era as coach to Barcelona. he used the likes of Guardiola, Ronald Koeman, Michael Laudrup, Stokoihvic and a likes to introduce what is known today as Tiki Taka. he was d first coach to win Uefa Champions League for Barcelona in 1992.

1 Like

Re: UEFA Champions League Draw On 24th August 2017 by Nobody: 10:03pm On Aug 24, 2017
Ximenez:
You are right, but Barca is already weakened, with their poor defence and Average midfield, it is the MSN that has been carrying them and now that it has been broken people are expecting the worst from them.

We all saw what PSG did to them last season, it was 4 nil in the 1st leg before the ref made poor decisions in the second leg, but the ref wasn't there against Juventus, as they couldn't score a goal against them in both legs.

Maybe you didn't read what Neymar said on Sunday, Barca problem stretches beyond the field, their former president is in jail cos of the deal that brought Neymar from Santos.

The LA Masia is in ruin just as the fg here has ruined the public universities to be producing half baked graduate, the last good thing that came out of La Masia is Sergi Roberto. Even Pique admitted after the Madrid match that for the first time in his 9 years at Barca, Madrid were better than them.

And this is definitely not the time to higher an average coach, it will be worse than the time of Gerardo Matino
"HIRE an average coach". I hate football: I come here to check grammatical accuracy!

1 Like

Re: UEFA Champions League Draw On 24th August 2017 by sirfee(m): 10:07pm On Aug 24, 2017
malton:

Players like Neymar are an exception to the rule. Even in his own case, it's been said many times that Barca offered the least financial benefits of all the teams that were after him at the time.

His is the case of a man who thinks he can chase the money seeing as he's won all that there is to win already. While he's a money grabber, he first went after his dream. At the time he joined, he never would have dreamt about a day when he'd join PSG. There's nothing PSG is doing that the likes of Chelsea have not done. They did all they could to sign Ronaldinho and Eto'o back then but failed. Teams like that just aren't appealing to real players, except mercenaries.

On the contrary, every player finds Madrid attractive. The only players that may turn down Madrid are those who hold dreams of playing for Barca someday. Even at that, some of them still join Madrid regardless - Isco for one.

Even during the Franco era, Barca slugged it out with Madrid for the best players like Di Stefano. English teams don't dare come close when these teams fight over players because they know it'll only end in defeat. Not because they lack financial might, but because they lack the allure.

Players always prefer Barca/Madrid due to their history and traditions, and not because of money. The only advantage there is that the money enables them to get those players who have always wanted to be at their teams. The English teams however, find it hard to attract even second-tier talents despite having all that money. What do you make of that? There's no player Barca will sign today that Man U. city, or Chelsea cannot afford to sign. But will the player agree to join those teams when Barca come calling?

Money is important, but ambition ranks first for most good players.
I like your analysis,well said.

Man u and Benfica to qualify from group A

GGMU

1 Like

Re: UEFA Champions League Draw On 24th August 2017 by malton: 10:09pm On Aug 24, 2017
cstr1000:

Gulf in class?
lol. You are having a laugh.
This is not mes que un club rubbish sentiment. This is about real players on a real football pitch.

Konami94:
The only gulf in class is with Messi, take him out and Barcelona would be pretty ordinary. They have only won 1 champions league without Messi in their entire history.

grin

See ehn, don't let Neymar's signing deceive you. Pound for pound, Cavani can only dream of becoming as good as Suarez. Angel Di Maria is nowhere near the player that Messi is. With the signing of Dembele, Barca have a player that nearly matches Neymar. Now, in midfield, among Thiago Motta, Rabiot, and Veratti, only Veratti can get in the Barca midfield. Rabiot is good, not great. So he's nowhere near the player that Iniesta is. Thiago Motta is a Barca reject.

Defence: Alves is another Barca reject. We have a better player in Semedo. Umtiti is twice the player Thiago Silva is. Marquinhos is having a hard time displacing Kimpembe, who in my humble opinion, is average. Kurzawa is good, but not as good as Alba.

Gk: there's no comparison to be made here. Ter Stegen and Areola are worlds apart.

So, in a nutshell, only Neymar and Veratti can get in the Barca team. What makes them the better team again?

wink

NB: Not even the signing of 6-months boy wonder, Mbappe, will change these numbers.

PSG will always be a small club wherever Barca is mentioned. To think this is despite Barca having possibly the worst management in the club's history ever at the moment. Wait until they are voted out.

Barca is forever!

1 Like

Re: UEFA Champions League Draw On 24th August 2017 by malton: 10:14pm On Aug 24, 2017
sirfee:
I like your analysis,well said.

Man u and Benfica to qualify from group A

GGMU

Thanks, bro. Man U will stroll through that group to the round of 16. I hope Benfica delivers. Portuguese teams can be so unreliable, ehn.

1 Like

Re: UEFA Champions League Draw On 24th August 2017 by Ximenez(m): 10:18pm On Aug 24, 2017
justbusy:
"HIRE an average coach". I hate football: I come here to check grammatical accuracy!
Yea thanks, that was a mistake on my part.
Re: UEFA Champions League Draw On 24th August 2017 by sirfee(m): 10:28pm On Aug 24, 2017
malton:

Thanks, bro. Man U will stroll through that group to the round of 16. I hope Benfica delivers. Portuguese teams can be so unreliable, ehn.
Portuguese teams are unreliable,inconsistency is their middle name.

Good night bro...

1 Like

Re: UEFA Champions League Draw On 24th August 2017 by Sheuns(m): 10:32pm On Aug 24, 2017
chiefolododo:
have you started watching ball in 2011? I don't think so. Tottenham reached quarter final in 2011, man city didn't make round off 16 for about 3 seasons , nobody is talking about that. You ass anal fans are disgusting. Be warned before I change am for you
They were knocked out by Real, remember? And I'm a Madrid fan not Arsenal. Tottenham won't pass the group stage.
Re: UEFA Champions League Draw On 24th August 2017 by P0intBlank(m): 10:33pm On Aug 24, 2017
Sanchez01:

Just when I was beginning to think you truly understand football.

The Galacticos era had so much flop and one mighty one was a star studded side with individual talents. They never played as a team, save for the time they defeated an Italian team 4-1. I can't really recall the team now but that was the only match I watched in 2002 that gave me the feeling that these guys played as a team.

Perez signed Kaka but Mourinho managed him and he ended up being a flop.

The Mourinho team had fair success with goals but Ancelotti came in to win the the Champions League, with Mourinho's same team. I hope this is not too difficult to understand now?

You don't get the point. This is the point: Real Madrid has always been star-studded side. So any manager coaching Madrid will coach a star-studded side. Being star-studded is not enough. As 8 coaches before Mourinho could testify. So give Mourinho some credit. Wins the league while breaking multiple records (a league that had a Barca side so good that it was constantly compared with Great Brazilian team of 1970), wins Copa del Rey(which is Real Madrid's first in 18years) and gets to semifinal 3 straight years (for a team that couldn't pass 2nd round in 5 attempts, losing to likes of Monaco and Lyon) so it's not as if he met a fantastic team on ground.

You must have started watching Real Madrid's football fairly recently if u think they never played as a team. The Galacticos experiment was an initial success as the triumph in UCL 2002 indicated. OMG, the football played in 2001/2002 and 2002/2003 was sexy. I remember how we used to scream and clap in the common room back in school.

Kaka and Ronaldo were bought a year before Mourinho came and it's not Mourinho fault that Kaka couldn't replicate his Milan form. His time in Madrid was blighted by injuries, most notably the knee injury that kept him out for 8 months. Furthermore, the form of Ozil meant that Kaka's playing time was limited when he returned from injury. FYI, Kaka's key stats during his Mourinho's era are actually better than his pre-Mourinho era.

Remember while Ancelotti won the UCL, he failed to win the league.

3 Likes

Re: UEFA Champions League Draw On 24th August 2017 by Ximenez(m): 10:41pm On Aug 24, 2017
Konami94:

Why would Chelsea's group come first? Roma is not a very strong team and it wouldn't be in the headlines should they fail to qualify from their group. They are certainly not as strong as Spurs and Dortmund.
Don't be mistaken bro, AS Roma is well above Tottenham in Europe, forget about the EPL gragra. How many years have Tottenham been in Europe and how far have they gone? Roma have more experienced players and they are not champions league jjc

1 Like

Re: UEFA Champions League Draw On 24th August 2017 by Teaser4(m): 10:44pm On Aug 24, 2017
Bimpe29:
Is going to be a thrilling season. I tip Manchester United and Real Madrid for final.
Funny enough, both teams no go near quaters, shey na stupid juventus Bleep up, barcelona of last season go rape madrid. make we dey look, man utd no go pass 2nd round if dem reach dia sef. infact no english go smel semis. cos if i talk quaters, man city get craze. E go clear 4 ur eyes. if my barca start killing teams dis season, yal go stfu, we no go c una. awon olobe. quote me and thunder go fal on u
Re: UEFA Champions League Draw On 24th August 2017 by dabossman(m): 10:51pm On Aug 24, 2017
Sanchez01:

This belongs to you;

Well, that's not the point. My problem with Mourinho is that he has no respect for players and he's a very bias manager. I hope you're aware of what he did to Javier Zanetti at Inter before his departure? He tried same with Pepe, Ramos and Ronaldo and was burnt.

Do we talk about what he did to Juan Mata both at Chelsea and Man U? Or should we just talk about the many disgrace he served a legend as Bastian Schweinsteiger? Mourinho is more of a destroyer than a builder.

I am result driven person. You win a match, then the celebration is temporary. The orgasmic feeling comes from lifting trophies for me. Mediocrity is not even Madrid fondles.

For every player you mentioned here, there are others who Mourinho turned into big names. Being a result driven person you should know that some times you need to lay aside sentiments. I'm not a fan of Mourinho's controversial side or his methods, but I cannot question the competence of a man who has been so successful. He has consistently gotten results.
Re: UEFA Champions League Draw On 24th August 2017 by dabossman(m): 10:54pm On Aug 24, 2017
NeeKlaus:

Porto and Inter Milan, Bruh. Porto and Inter Milan.grin

I know bro. Just trying to point out that Porto at that time were way way outsiders. You can still argue that Inter was a strong Series A club.
Re: UEFA Champions League Draw On 24th August 2017 by Ximenez(m): 10:54pm On Aug 24, 2017
malton:

grin

See ehn, don't let Neymar's signing deceive you. Pound for pound, Cavani can only dream of becoming as good as Suarez. Angel Di Maria is nowhere near the player that Messi is. With the signing of Dembele, Barca have a player that nearly matches Neymar. Now, in midfield, among Thiago Motta, Rabiot, and Veratti, only Veratti can get in the Barca midfield. Rabiot is good, not great. So he's nowhere near the player that Iniesta is. Thiago Motta is a Barca reject.

Defence: Alves is another Barca reject. We have a better player in Semedo. Umtiti is twice the player Thiago Silva is. Marquinhos is having a hard time displacing Kimpembe, who in my humble opinion, is average. Kurzawa is good, but not as good as Alba.

Gk: there's no comparison to be made here. Ter Stegen and Areola are worlds apart.

So, in a nutshell, only Neymar and Veratti can get in the Barca team. What makes them the better team again?

wink

NB: Not even the signing of 6-months boy wonder, Mbappe, will change these numbers.

PSG will always be a small club wherever Barca is mentioned. To think this is despite Barca having possibly the worst management in the club's history ever at the moment. Wait until they are voted out.

Barca is forever!
Dembele nearly matching Neymar sad bro please stop living in a fool's paradise in a bid to give yourself hope, the Neymar that almost single handedly rescued Barca from PSG last season with some help from the Ref.

If you call PSG a small club and they can still manage to beat Barca 4 nil, i wonder what they will do to barca when they finally become a great team they are planning to become.

The formidable Barca emerged in 2008 and they are currently witnessing the end of an era, so let's see how they are going to deal with it.

Let me just ignore those your player to player comparison, cis it's obvious you are only saying what suits you, imagine you saying Nelson Semedo is better than Dani Alves. Even at Alves age, Nemedo is nowhere near him, Semedo is just like the Turan, Gomes or Mathieu Barca have brought in in recent years, just average. Even Guardiola chased Alves before he opted for PSG cos he said he wants to be champion
Re: UEFA Champions League Draw On 24th August 2017 by Ximenez(m): 11:05pm On Aug 24, 2017
Teaser4:
Funny enough, both teams no go near quaters, shey na stupid juventus Bleep up, barcelona of last season go rape madrid. make we dey look, man utd no go pass 2nd round if dem reach dia sef. infact no english go smel semis. cos if i talk quaters, man city get craze. E go clear 4 ur eyes. if my barca start killing teams dis season, yal go stfu, we no go c una. awon olobe. quote me and thunder go fal on u
You think Arsenal is in the champions league? undecided Barcelona that want to rape Madrid that couldn't score a single goal against Juventus in the two legs cos the ref wasn't interested in diving and awarding dubious pk
Re: UEFA Champions League Draw On 24th August 2017 by Princefrankie1(m): 11:28pm On Aug 24, 2017
cameeeeel:
i agree with you to the extent that Pep Guardiola established nd made his own team. however, thinking that Guardiola was d one that introduced tiki taka style of football was wrong. Tiki taka was mainly nd genuinely introduced by Barca legend Johan Cruyff doing his era as coach to Barcelona. he used the likes of Guardiola, Ronald Koeman, Michael Laudrup, Stokoihvic and a likes to introduce what is known today as Tiki Taka. he was d first coach to win Uefa Champions League for Barcelona in 1992.

As a student of the likes of Van Gaal, Johan Cruyff and Marcelo Bielsa, Pep Guardiola was fortunate enough to learn and study the ideas of great football visionaries.

His mentor Johan Cruyff, thought him so much about tactics. Cruyff was the brain behind possession based football.

Countless times, Pep doesn't forget to acknowledge Johan Cruyff as the man who made him who he is today.

Pep insisted his remarkable success in the Barcelona dugout was not comparable to the achievements of Cruyff's Dream Team.

"They were pioneers and we cannot compete with that no matter how many trophies we win," he said in 2011.
''We will never equal the period of the Dream Team as they were the first to break up the long period without success.

Cruyff built the ''Dream Team." A team that would keep the ball and dominate the game. Pep Guardiola was the midfield anchor man in that team. And they dominated teams playing wonderful football.

But they were not as good as Guardiola's Barcelona. Neither did they play the same way. They kept possession, but in a different way.

There are different ways teams keep possession. Some keep possession with little or no penetration. Like Liverpool and Arsenal. But Barcelona kept possession as a form of defence and attack.

As a tactic for defence: Depriving the opponent of the ball makes it difficult for them to create chances and score.

As a tactic for attack: Keeping the ball for long periods of time weakens and frustrates the opponent, thereby taking them out of position on the field of play.

No team has ever and will ever play the kind of football Barcelona played under Pep.

Not even the great Cruyff's dream team of 1988 which featured great players like Romario, Michael Laudrup, Ronald Koeman, Pep Guardiola...

Not even Louis Van Gaal's 1995 Ajax team with players such as Van der Sar, Frank Rijkaard, Frank de Boer, Clarence Seedorf, Edgar Davids and our very own Finidi George and Nwankwo Kanu.

Not even the Real Madrid team of the late 50's who dominated world football with players like Alfredo Di Stéfano and Ferenc Puskas...

Not even the great Arrigo Sacchi's Ac Milan team of 1988 which included the likes of Paolo Maldini, Marco Van Basten, Ruud Gullit, Frank Rijkaard, and Franco Baresi...

All these teams had great players, played great football and won lots of trophies, but Pep's Barcelona won it all in style.

As Guardiola humbly and rightly said, Johan Cruyff was the pioneer, he was the initiator, the teacher, but Guardiola as a clever student, learnt his masters trade and bettered it.

I admire your knowledge of history in football, and that's why I made out time to reply you.

As for the people who say Pep inherited a good team at Barcelona and that's why he won, I don't bother replying them, because they know nothing about HISTORY.

Have a wonderful night rest!

5 Likes

Re: UEFA Champions League Draw On 24th August 2017 by TheKingIsHere: 11:28pm On Aug 24, 2017
Chelsea is in a tight group too o. shocked
Re: UEFA Champions League Draw On 24th August 2017 by Jonbold(m): 11:52pm On Aug 24, 2017
Phi001:
Liverpool have achieved way more than Manchester United in the UCL...
Like seriously Please tell me more

1 Like

Re: UEFA Champions League Draw On 24th August 2017 by Konami94: 1:28am On Aug 25, 2017
malton:

grin

wink

Barca is forever!
Cavani can only dream of becoming as good as Suarez, but Ousmane freaking Dembele is nearly as good Neymar? Umtiti is twice as good as Thiago Silva? Really? Daniel Alves is a Barcelona reject? So any player that leaves Barca is a reject? It's obvious you cannot be objective in this discussion so I won't bother trying. It still doesn't change the fact that F.C Barcelona has won a total of 1 Champions League in their entire history without Lionel Messi . So Barcelona is not forever my brother, except you started watching soccer in 2009, Without Messi, Barca is nothing.

And pls next time don't try to insult Neymar & Dani Alves like that, by comparing them with Dembele & Semeldo. That's total disrespect bro. Because they left your club for PSG doesn't mean you should disrespect them like that.

1 Like

Re: UEFA Champions League Draw On 24th August 2017 by ponti93(m): 1:34am On Aug 25, 2017
I think tottenham should stop trying to qualify for champions league instead they should go and win the premier league and europa
Re: UEFA Champions League Draw On 24th August 2017 by Konami94: 1:35am On Aug 25, 2017
malton:

grin

wink

Barca is forever!
Just when you think you've heard it all in football, someone comes up and says
1.Dembele is nearly as good as Neymar.
2. Nelson Semeldo is better than Dani Alves

And the most ridiculous of them all

3. Samuel Umtiti is twice as good as Thiago Silva
grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

Roma Vs Barcelona UCL (3 - 0) On 10th April 2018 / Liverpool vs Chelsea: UEFA Super Cup (2(5) - (4) 2) On 14th August 2019 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.