Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,531 members, 7,819,913 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:27 AM

Understanding All The Drive Belts In Your Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Understanding All The Drive Belts In Your Car (10065 Views)

How To Check If Your Seat Belts Are Properly Working / The Origin Of 3-point Seat Belts / Nigerians Take The "Take Your Car On A Date" Trend To A Higher Level (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Understanding All The Drive Belts In Your Car by obafemee80(m): 1:45am On Aug 23, 2017
[img]http:///a/img924/3534/WcENYu.jpg[/img]

[img]http:///a/img923/7923/1JpD9R.jpg[/img]

Your car’s engine has a number of mechanical parts attached to it that perform essential functions like delivering power(the alternator), cooling your engine (the water pump),helping you to drive more easily(the power steering pump)and keeping you comfortable(the air conditioner compressor).Without a drive belt, none of these parts would work.

The purpose of drive belts is to deliver power between different engine components.They work by means of friction between the belt and pulley,which is why loose belts can cause various components to work poorly,or not at all.

Different types of drive belts and how they work in your car.

V-Belts
Some vehicles have multiple belts,called v-belts,that come off the crankshaft of the engine to drive the alternator,the air conditioning compressor,the power steering pump and the water pump.In older vehicles,v-belts were the standard.

Serpentine Belts
A serpentine belt is a single,long belt that drives all the engine components that would otherwise be powered by multiple v-belts. Serpentine belts are most common in newer cars,and are essentially the standard for the modern vehicle.

Timing Belts
The timing belt is also sometimes called a camshaft drive belt.It is a notched belt,made of rubber,that enables the crankshaft to turn the camshaft,and opens and closes the engine valves synchronously with the pistons. In late model vehicles,the timing belt has essentially replaced the metal timing chain.

Symptoms,Causes,And Effects of failed or failing Drive Belts

V-belts: If a v-belt is failing,it will squeak,and accessories may not work properly.If it fails, the accessories that it powers will stop working.Causes can include ordinary wear or fluid contamination.

Serpentine belts: If a serpentine belt is failing, accessories may not work properly,car may be hard to start or not start at all,and the belt may emit a squeaking,screeching or chirping sound.Causes can include cracking,wear or stripping,fluid contamination and poor belt tension.

Timing belts: If a timing belt is failing,your car may idle rough,or you may hear a slapping sound from the motor compartment.If it fails, your car will not work at all.There is also a possibility of serious damage to the valves and pistons.Causes can include wear,slipping or fluid contamination.

Common enemies of drive belts
Road dirt,oil, water,and excessive heat are all enemies that can cause drive belt problems, so you should make sure that your car isn’t leaking oil,and that when you’re topping off your oil you do it carefully.Make sure that your engine undercover isn’t missing or damaged, since it is your first line of defense against contaminants that you can pick up on the road.

Recommendations
You should have your vehicle checked by a mechanic regularly in order to determine if your belts need to be adjusted or replaced.Timing belts are generally long-lived,but given the potential consequences if the timing belt fails,the importance of regular check-ups cannot be over-estimated.
Serpentine belts usually need to be changed about every 50,000 miles.It makes no sense to keep driving with a worn or damaged belt,because eventually,it will break and you’ll end up stranded and possibly needing expensive repairs

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/understanding-all-the-drive-belts-in-your-car
https://autojosh.com/understanding-drive-belts-car/

3 Likes

Re: Understanding All The Drive Belts In Your Car by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:47am On Aug 23, 2017
The advantage of the timing belt over the timing chain is that if the timing belt fails, there is less potential for damage to valves and pistons.

not true

3 Likes

Re: Understanding All The Drive Belts In Your Car by obafemee80(m): 2:08am On Aug 23, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

not true
Timing belts are also quieter
@GAZZUZZ,Can you pls explain the reason sir? grin
Also tell us the one you prefer or has more adv betw the 2
Re: Understanding All The Drive Belts In Your Car by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:12am On Aug 23, 2017
obafemee80:

Timing belts are also quieter
@GAZZUZZ,Can you pls explain the reason sir? grin

the belt or the chain has nothing to do with valve damage during failure. the type of engine design is what matters. In interference engines the piston can travel the distance of the valve area, and will come in contact with the valves if there is failure on the chain or belt.

5 Likes

Re: Understanding All The Drive Belts In Your Car by obafemee80(m): 2:16am On Aug 23, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

the belt or the chain has nothing to do with valave damage during failure. the type of engine design is what matters. In interferance engines the piston can travel the distance of the valve area, and will come in contact with the valves if there is failure on the chain or belt.
Thanks for your prompt response..
Re: Understanding All The Drive Belts In Your Car by nurey(m): 7:21am On Aug 23, 2017
In late model vehicles,the timing belt has essentially replaced the metal timing chain.

Op this your statement should be improvement in older vehicle models belt gave rise to timing chain.

Unfortunately most manufacturers are still he'll bent on timing belt, but I prefer a timing chain to timing belt engine anyday anytime.
Re: Understanding All The Drive Belts In Your Car by ademoladeji(m): 7:35am On Aug 23, 2017
What about Seatbelt?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Understanding All The Drive Belts In Your Car by vedaxcool(m): 7:45am On Aug 23, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

not true

Gbam

True talk for instance if your timing belt fails in a Peagout you are in for an engine problem. .... it is a car specific. Problem.

1 Like

Re: Understanding All The Drive Belts In Your Car by vedaxcool(m): 7:45am On Aug 23, 2017
ademoladeji:
What about Seatbelt?

grin grin grin oga how are you feeling
Re: Understanding All The Drive Belts In Your Car by calabardick(m): 7:55am On Aug 23, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

the belt or the chain has nothing to do with valve damage during failure. the type of engine design is what matters. In interference engines the piston can travel the distance of the valve area, and will come in contact with the valves if there is failure on the chain or belt.

correct, I lost my 24 valves when my Mitsubishi Diamante timing belt cut
Re: Understanding All The Drive Belts In Your Car by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:58am On Aug 23, 2017
ademoladeji:
What about Seatbelt?

cheap drugs
Re: Understanding All The Drive Belts In Your Car by omoiyalayi(m): 8:04am On Aug 23, 2017
One of my driving belt cut last night on my way home the one that controls water pump & power steering pump

I still drove the car home

Am going to fix it this morning sha

It's my birthday today
Friends wish me well

6 Likes

Re: Understanding All The Drive Belts In Your Car by shortgun(m): 8:08am On Aug 23, 2017
Mercedes Benz has been using timing chain in cars as early as 1970.
Some models even have double chains cheesy
Benz always thinking ahead

2 Likes

Re: Understanding All The Drive Belts In Your Car by ademoladeji(m): 8:14am On Aug 23, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

cheap drugs

Lol
Re: Understanding All The Drive Belts In Your Car by wildchild02: 8:19am On Aug 23, 2017
what i know? lols

Check my signature to order your football jerseys and get FREE CUSTOMIZATION, YES you heard me right FREE CUSTOMIZATION.

1 Like

Re: Understanding All The Drive Belts In Your Car by ExInferis(m): 8:24am On Aug 23, 2017
Image 1: Typical engine

Image 2: Tesla Motor's "engine".

Just 2 moving parts, the stator and rotor.

No flywheel, belts, chains, pistons, valves, cams, cylinders, drive shafts, crankshafts, spark plugs, injectors, catalytic converters, radiators, coolant, brake fluid, engine oil.....

And no transmission.

Electric cars are the future.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Understanding All The Drive Belts In Your Car by KingBish(f): 8:33am On Aug 23, 2017
Let me buy a car first, then I'll come back and read the post.
Re: Understanding All The Drive Belts In Your Car by sonety2k(m): 9:37am On Aug 23, 2017
Nice One
Re: Understanding All The Drive Belts In Your Car by computerglobal(m): 10:13am On Aug 23, 2017
KingBish:

Re: Understanding All The Drive Belts In Your Car by computerglobal(m): 10:14am On Aug 23, 2017
KingBish:

Re: Understanding All The Drive Belts In Your Car by Jagermeister(m): 12:39pm On Aug 23, 2017
ExInferis:
Image 1: Typical engine

Image 2: Tesla Motor's "engine".

Just 2 moving parts, the stator and rotor.

No flywheel, belts, chains, pistons, valves, cams, cylinders, drive shafts, crankshafts, spark plugs, injectors, catalytic converters, radiators, coolant, brake fluid, engine oil.....

And no transmission.

Electric cars are the future.

Agreeable.

Tesla's are not entirely without transmission as you imagine, it doesn't change gears sequentially but it has a single gear that's progressive. Bear in mind in mind that it made them slower.

Tesla's have individual electronic controllers that work as differentials. They adjust the speed of the electric motors when it recognises that the vehicle is slowing down.. Tesla's don't have real locking or rear differentials and so I might not ply the Tesla route if I'm seeking to go off-road or safety on high speeds or worst still, while in racing conditions.

True petrol-heads will always be petrol-heads.

People like me.
Re: Understanding All The Drive Belts In Your Car by ExInferis(m): 12:48pm On Aug 23, 2017
Jagermeister:

Agreeable.

Tesla's are not entirely without transmission as you imagine, it doesn't change gears sequentially but it has a single gear that's progressive. Bear in mind in mind that it made them slower.

Tesla's have individual electronic controllers that work as differentials. They adjust the speed of the electric motors when it recognises that the vehicle is slowing down.. Tesla's don't have real locking or real differentials and so I might not ply the Tesla route if I'm seeking to go off-road or safety on high speeds or worst still, while in racing conditions.

True petrol-heads will always be petrol-heads.

People like me.

They have a single gear to reduce the motor's speed.

A traditional transmission, or gear box, controls speed by varying the gear ratios.

And that's precisely what i mean that Tesla does not have a transmission because the inverter handles speed by increasing the current.

The gear in Tesla's drivetrain works diferent from a traditional gearbox.

As for differentials, Tesla uses sensors and a computer to control the differentials so wheels spin at the appropriate rate when needed.

It's not really an off-road vehicle though.
Re: Understanding All The Drive Belts In Your Car by Jagermeister(m): 1:08pm On Aug 23, 2017
ExInferis:

They have a single gear to reduce the motor's speed.

A traditional transmission, or gear box, controls speed by varying the gear ratios.

And that's precisely what i mean that Tesla does not have a transmission because the inverter handles speed by increasing the current.

The gear in Tesla's drivetrain works diferent from a traditional gearbox.

As for differentials, Tesla uses sensors and a computer to control the differentials so wheels spin at the appropriate rate when needed.

It's not really an off-road vehicle though.

No, they have a single gear to effect weight reduction and efficiency. The reduction in top-speed wasn't exactly preferred, it was a trade-off for the single gear system. Newer Tesla models might be faster as a proof to that.

I already mentioned the second, third and fourth line of your post about the transmission.

And No, Tesla's have no differentials because they are fully electric. However, I don't disagree with you about their drivetrains and how it decides to accelerate and decelerate.
Re: Understanding All The Drive Belts In Your Car by ExInferis(m): 1:19pm On Aug 23, 2017
Jagermeister:

No, they have a single gear to effect weight reduction and efficiency. The reduction in top-speed wasn't exactly preferred, it was a trade-off for the single gear system. Newer Tesla models might be faster as a proof to that.

I already mentioned the second, third and fourth line of your post about the transmission.

And No, Tesla's has not differentials because they are fully electric.

These prove you wrong:

Differentials

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/www.teslarati.com/how-tesla-model-s-traction-control-system-works/amp/

Gear

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/how-does-transmission-work

Like i said, the gear only serves to reduce RPM. EVs by design have the full range of torque from the get-go. They don't need gear ratios.

The inverter varies speed, the single gear syatem reduces engine RPM.

The shafts go directly to the differential gears.

This might help too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SAxXUIre28

It talks in detail about the gear and differentials.
Re: Understanding All The Drive Belts In Your Car by Jagermeister(m): 1:41pm On Aug 23, 2017
ExInferis:

These prove you wrong:

Differentials

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/www.teslarati.com/how-tesla-model-s-traction-control-system-works/amp/

Gear

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/how-does-transmission-work

Like i said, the gear only serves to reduce RPM. EVs by design have the full range of torque from the get-go. They don't need gear ratios.

The inverter varies speed, the single gear syatem reduces engine RPM.

The shafts go directly to the differential gears.

I'll check the links.

EVs don't require RPM readings because there's none of that crankshaft, camshafts or pistons revolutions. All these we already know.

Know this fam. The gear is not there to reduce the speed or Revolutions per minute(RPM) as you called it. Electric cars are not designed to go as fast or as powerful as petrol-powered cars( except maybe the Mercedes Benz sls AMG electric drive). They were designed for efficiency and safer environments(going green).. There's just been improvisations by Tesla in terms of speed.

If EVs are as powerful as you think, they won't blow out their juice in weeks.

RPMs have nothing to do with torques or gear ratios. Gearboxes work with the engine but has not relationship with engine RPM.

Yes they(EVs) have very powerful electric motors so they are provided with full torque currents to power the bulk of the vehicle and they certainly don't need gear ratios because they don't have conventional gearboxes like petrol or diesel-powered vehicles.

I'll still open to thread to know where I'm wrong.
Re: Understanding All The Drive Belts In Your Car by ExInferis(m): 4:55pm On Aug 23, 2017
Jagermeister:

I'll check the links.

EVs don't require RPM readings because there's none of that crankshaft, camshafts or pistons revolutions. All these we already know.

Know this fam. The gear is not there to reduce the speed or Revolutions per minute(RPM) as you called it. Electric cars are not designed to go as fast or as powerful as petrol-powered cars( except maybe the Mercedes Benz sls AMG electric drive). They were designed for efficiency and safer environments(going green).. There's just been improvisations by Tesla in terms of speed.

If EVs are as powerful as you think, they won't blow out their juice in weeks.

RPMs have nothing to do with torques or gear ratios. Gearboxes work with the engine but has not relationship with engine RPM.

Yes they(EVs) have very powerful electric motors so they are provided with full torque currents to power the bulk of the vehicle and they certainly don't need gear ratios because they don't have conventional gearboxes like petrol or diesel-powered vehicles.

I'll still open to thread to know where I'm wrong.

You said

Jagermeister:

Power (HP) = torque x RPM ÷5252.

The relationship between torque and RPM translates into a car's power.

Most cars produce the highest torque in the 3k to 4k RPM range, which is why the 3rd gear is usually used to haul heavy loads.

So yes RPMs have all to do with a car's torque

As for the relationship between RPM and speed: the faster the engine revs when the gear is engaged, the faster the ratios must be changed. At the 4th gear the ratio is 1:1 while anything above is overdrive. You can't shift thru the geara at too low RPMs, especially for manuals.

Tesla, like virtually all EVs, has all its torque at the start because there's none of that engine spooling stuff; a DC motor turns faster with more frequency almost instantly with input.

Check out the torque chart attached.

Jagermeister:

Also refer to the chart on torque below.

See the speed curve?

Tesla Model S P100D does 0.60 mph in 2.28 seconds! That's so fast they call it "Ludicrous Mode".

The latest Bugatti, the Chiron, does 0.60 in 2.3 seconds, slower than the Model S.

And yet you claim "electric cars are not designed to go as fast or as powerful as a petrol car."

An electric motor will always be more efficient than an ICE engine in terms of power output.

You also claim that "If EVs are as powerful as you think, they won't blow out their juice in weeks"

I find this an odd thing to say.

A Bugatti Chiron going top speed pedal-to-the-metal will exhaust its fuel in 15 minutes.

A hypermiling Model S got 900km on a single charge.

In any case, you need to research more about Tesla's products, from the Roadster to the new Model 3 to dispel your notion of an EV being nothing but a glorified golf cart.

Just watch the youtube video i attached earlier.

It addresses all your views and proves:

1. Tesla's single speed gearbox is just to reduce the motor's speed (RPM)

2. Tesla does have a differential

3. Tesla has the fastest acceleration of any car, whether ICE or induction motor.

1 Like

Re: Understanding All The Drive Belts In Your Car by Jagermeister(m): 5:49pm On Aug 23, 2017
ExInferis:

You said

Power (HP) = torque x RPM ÷5252.

The relationship between torque and RPM translates into a car's power.

Most cars produce the highest torque in the 3k to 4k RPM range, which is why the 3rd gear is usually used to haul heavy loads.

So yes RPMs have all to do with an engine's revolution per minute.

As for the relationship between RPM and speed: the faster the engine revs when the gear is engaged, the faster the ratios must be changed. At the 4th gear the ratio is 1:1 while anything above is overdrive. You can't shift thru the geara at too low RPMs, especially for manuals.

Tesla, like virtually all EVs, has all its torque at the start because there's none of that engine spooling stuff; a DC motor turns faster with more frequency almost instantly with input.

Check out the torque chart attached.

Also refer to the chart on torque below.

See the speed curve?

Tesla Model S P100D does 0.60 mph in 2.28 seconds! That's so fast they call it "Ludicrous Mode".

The latest Bugatti, the Chiron, does 0.60 in 2.3 seconds, slower than the Model S.

And yet you claim "electric cars are not designed to go as fast or as powerful as a petrol car."

An electric motor will always be more efficient than an ICE engine in terms of power output.

You also claim that "If EVs are as powerful as you think, they won't blow out their juice in weeks"

I find this an odd thing to say.

A Bugatti Chiron going top speed pedal-to-the-metal will exhaust its fuel in 15 minutes.

A hypermiling Model S got 900km on a single charge.

In any case, you need to research more about Tesla's products, from the Roadster to the new Model 3 to dispel your notion of an EV being nothing but a glorified golf cart.

Ugh! Where do I start from.

I may have misrepresented a few things here.. But you my friend has got to refrain from relying too much on your textbooks.

Now, I saw the new Topgear episode where Rory Reid murdered a Ford Mustang in a drag race. Tesla's have astronomical power, no debate... I've also seen Jeremy on Topgear test the SLS AMG electric against its petrol twin. I mentioned that also. I also mentioned the improvisations from Tesla.. Older EVs were not powerful man. Was the Toyota Prius any good?

Talking about efficiency, Tesla Models are not the most efficient IMO, not even the Model S.. They are just very compliant on avoiding green-house emissions and bio-hazards. Here's an example (this is coming from the top of my head), The BMW i8, has an electric motor and a small internal combustion engine( that you talked about),which we know as a hybrid. A bit of both worlds.. I'd choose the BMW over the Tesla and I know you probably would too. With the Hybrid, you would less likely be stranded when you run out of juice( common sense).

The Chiron is a hyper-car, is the Tesla? Why wouldn't it run out of gas upon hard driving?

I don't remember saying RPMs had nothing to do with the engine. It would be ridiculous if I did. RPM means revolutions per minute. It's a measure used to determine rotational speed of mechanical components (of the car, in this case).

What you said about gear ratio as it relates to speed-increment is common knowledge.

I still can't and won't agree that the sole reason single-speed gearbox(s) are fitted to Tesla models was to reduce its speed. What I however said earlier was top-speed and not it's electric motor speed.

There's a few places you missed it however, and for all the other things you said, I had agreed with you then and I haven't started disagreeing.
Re: Understanding All The Drive Belts In Your Car by ExInferis(m): 9:43pm On Aug 23, 2017
Jagermeister:

Ugh! Where do I start from.

I may have misrepresented a few things here.. But you my friend has got to refrain from relying too much on your textbooks.

Now, I saw the new Topgear episode where Rory Reid murdered a Ford Mustang in a drag race. Tesla's have astronomical power, no debate... I've also seen Jeremy on Topgear test the SLS AMG electric against its petrol twin. I mentioned that also. I also mentioned the improvisations from Tesla.. Older EVs were not powerful man. Was the Toyota Prius any good?

Talking about efficiency, Tesla Models are not the most efficient IMO, not even the Model S.. They are just very compliant on avoiding green-house emissions and bio-hazards. Here's an example (this is coming from the top of my head), The BMW i8, has an electric motor and a small internal combustion engine( that you talked about),which we know as a hybrid. A bit of both worlds.. I'd choose the BMW over the Tesla and I know you probably would too. With the Hybrid, you would less likely be stranded when you run out of juice( common sense).

The Chiron is a hyper-car, is the Tesla? Why wouldn't it run out of gas upon hard driving?

I don't remember saying RPMs had nothing to do with the engine. It would be ridiculous if I did. RPM means revolutions per minute. It's a measure used to determine rotational speed of mechanical components (of the car, in this case).

What you said about gear ratio as it relates to speed-increment is common knowledge.

I still can't and won't agree that the sole reason single-speed gearbox(s) are fitted to Tesla models was to reduce its speed. What I however said earlier was top-speed and not it's electric motor speed.

There's a few places you missed it however, and for all the other things you said, I had agreed with you then and I haven't started disagreeing.

Just watch that youtube video.

Then come back.

Ps:

you did say rpm has nothing to do with torque and gear ratios.

I quoted you verbatim.

And that's why I went to the trouble of explaining how RPM and torque are related, and how gear ratios work with RPM.

Meanwhile the range anxiety you're talking of is an issue only where Tesla's supercharger network does not exist.

We're looking at the long term vision of Tesla and not just the immediate term.

EVs are the future whether we like it or not. ICE will go the way of the steam engine.

Now, pls watch that youtube video then let's talk.
Re: Understanding All The Drive Belts In Your Car by Jagermeister(m): 7:35pm On Aug 24, 2017
ExInferis:

Just watch that youtube video.

Then come back.

Ps:

you did say rpm has nothing to do with torque and gear ratios.

I quoted you verbatim.

And that's why I went to the trouble of explaining how RPM and torque are related, and how gear ratios work with RPM.

Meanwhile the range anxiety you're talking of is an issue only where Tesla's supercharger network does not exist.

We're looking at the long term vision of Tesla and not just the immediate term.

EVs are the future whether we like it or not. ICE will go the way of the steam engine.

Now, pls watch that youtube video then let's talk.

I'll watch the video later on my computer.

Steam engines were popular but they were not technological milestones.

ICEs on the other hand are.

Like I said earlier, there are die-hard gasoline fans. Such as myself.

If I'm alive in a thousand years and oil thins out and becomes really expensive, I'll still pick a hybrid over an EV.
Re: Understanding All The Drive Belts In Your Car by ExInferis(m): 10:14am On Aug 26, 2017
Wtf?

Steam engines not a technological milestone?

Jeez you're kinda nuts.

On every list of mankind's technological innovations steam engines rank at the very top. It revolutionalized industries and locomotion. Perhaps you'll say the wheel too was just a passing fad?

As for oil, well, thank heavens it's non-renewable. In a thousand years there'll be no oil anywhere. Not that you need to worry about an event you won't be around to witness.

You can't stop progress.

The history of the human race is one of inevitable innovation. With batteries getting better, fuel cells getting cheaper, solar getting cheaper and more efficient....renewable energy will usher in a whole new era of energy efficient transportation.

People like you will just be small rocks in powerful rivers: the water will conveniently flow all around you and even above you without you impeding its progress.

I guess it's no coincidence that virtually every automaker has deep EV plans, with government mandates in some countries for full zero-emission vehicles (read:EVs) by 2030 to replace the loud, inefficient, polluting, complex fossil-fueled vehicles currently clogging up the ozone.

So enjoy your gas guzzlers while it lasts!

NB:

Did you watch the video and found out how wrong you were yet?

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Reliable Is The Infinity FX35 / 5 Typical Reasons Why Your Car Fails To Start / The Secret Services’ Best Kept Secret? The Chevrolet Suburban

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.