Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,100 members, 7,825,482 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:44 PM

Are People From Onicha-ugbo Igbo Descent? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are People From Onicha-ugbo Igbo Descent? (11697 Views)

Obateru Akinrunta:The Richest King In Nigeria.. The Olugbo Of Ugbo Kingdom, Hrm / An Onicha Traditional Wedding (pictures) / Booker T. Washington, Another Famous Aa Of Igbo Descent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are People From Onicha-ugbo Igbo Descent? by AndreUweh(m): 6:49pm On Jul 19, 2011
The poster you quoted claimed that there is no fake or real Igbo. Is it true or not and spare your long sermon.
Re: Are People From Onicha-ugbo Igbo Descent? by Abagworo(m): 7:02pm On Jul 19, 2011
oludashmi:

I have seen Bamidele Ajayi, Kunbi Aladeloba from Edo (the Ajayi guy claims to be married to a Yoruba woman but each time I see the 2 of them, I smile). Then Omolade Alade, Opeyemi Omowa from itsekiri, just to mention a few. .

I think it is best you understand issues before jumping into them.A new ethnic group cannot be created from 1970 till 2011.Edo has always been Edo and so has been Itsekiri.

Why it seems SE Igbos are the ones more concerned about the recent proliferation of ethnic groups out of Igbo is because they are lumped together and classified as one while their differences are more pronounced than the new ethnic groups.The Nigerian situation seems not to be favourable to the Igbo identity and hence the neo-ethnic proliferation is being fueled by discrimination against the Igbo.

It will be wise for any interested person to read pre-war history of these same people and can't but notice a mockery of history.Some have gone as far as saying that Igbo language was imposed on them when there never existed an Igbo empire.

To cap it all,I can as well start my own Abagworo ethnic nationality with me and my family and become the smallest minority ethnicity in Nigeria. notice a mockery of history.Some have gone as far as saying that Igbo language was imposed on them when there never existed an Igbo empire.

To cap it all,I can as well start my own Abagworo ethnic nationality with me and my family and become the smallest minority ethnicity in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Are People From Onicha-ugbo Igbo Descent? by NegroNtns(m): 9:55pm On Jul 19, 2011
To the question " Are people of onucha-ugbo of Igbo descent"!

The answer is no. The etymology of the name "Onucha", "Onuche", "Onitsha", "Onitcha" and many similarly spelt names as well as "Ugbo", "Igbo". . . .are origination of and with root meaning in Yoruba tongue.

Therefore, Onucha-Ugbo or other forms of which it is spelt is indeed an adulteration and mispell of the original; Orisha-Igbo.
Re: Are People From Onicha-ugbo Igbo Descent? by ezeagu(m): 10:10pm On Jul 19, 2011
Dear nairaland reader, this platform is used by many mentally deranged users. Thanks.
Re: Are People From Onicha-ugbo Igbo Descent? by vicenzo(m): 11:33pm On Jul 19, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

The answer is no. The etymology of the name "Onucha", "Onuche", "Onitsha", "Onitcha" and many similarly spelt names as well as "Ugbo", "Igbo". . . .are origination of and with root meaning in Yoruba tongue.

Therefore, Onucha-Ugbo or other forms of which it is spelt is indeed an adulteration and mispell of the original; Orisha-Igbo.

I see you are being confused by the anglicisation of the igbo word "onicha" to onitsha,it is spelt onitsha but pronounced as onicha,onicha is found in most part of igboland,even as far away as ebonyi and imo,it has nothing to do with your yoruba deity,orisha.

2 Likes

Re: Are People From Onicha-ugbo Igbo Descent? by NegroNtns(m): 11:44pm On Jul 19, 2011
We shall see. . .
Re: Are People From Onicha-ugbo Igbo Descent? by henry101(m): 5:36am On Jul 20, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

You still dey use grammar when there are several Igbo towns in the west without finding any grammar to clssify it.
Dnt make me start mentioning names,
Re: Are People From Onicha-ugbo Igbo Descent? by NegroNtns(m): 12:35pm On Jul 20, 2011
Henry,

Thank you, that's why I'm here, to settle what is Yorubaland. So begin listing.
Re: Are People From Onicha-ugbo Igbo Descent? by adaide1: 3:02pm On Nov 22, 2012
@ negro, am yet to see a community that will call themselves people from the bush/forest. Most communities take names that reflect their greatness/ or a praise or has a kind of relationship with what they do or a natural thing very close to them like rivers but probably not a complete sentence saying they are from the bush or forest.
Re: Are People From Onicha-ugbo Igbo Descent? by belltwelve(m): 2:00pm On Nov 27, 2012
Onicha Ugbo people are part of the Igbo Aborigines of Ile Ife. this link says more:http://www.igbodefender.com/blog/2012/10/05/the-aniomas-were-the-igbo-aborigines-of-ile-ife/
Re: Are People From Onicha-ugbo Igbo Descent? by uchobi: 5:40am On Jan 22, 2013
I think the writer has asked a very valid question, one that many are not able to answer. I am from Onicha-Ugbo and I can identify with his questions. Our elders do not like to be called igbo and have taught us the same. the story is that we are descendants of the Bini kingdom. you can see many aspects of the Bini kingdom in our culture, food and language. Contrary to what someone had said earlier here, we do not dress like the Igbos. rather our cultural dressing, our cultural administrative practices (by this i mean rulership) tends more towards the Bini way of life. Infact I see more similarities between our culture and that of the Bini Kingdom than I see of the Igbo culture. I figure the similarities seen in the language are probably from cross cultural interraction with the igbos across the Niger. Infact, in the whole ika ibo area, the more you move towards the river Niger, the more you see of the Igbo culture and language and vice versa on the Bini end. i guess its pretty complicated and with our penchant for not preserving history in Nigeria, a lot of it is being lost. I am priviledged to know a little because my dad made it his business to force me to know. I know its all complicated. Suffice it to say that we are all Nigerians. its okay to know your roots and your ancestry, but thats about it. when push comes to shove, we are all the same in the eyes of God. Therefore, i do not think we should preoccupy ourselves so much with who is igbo or yoruba or hausa or not. these differences have divided us for a long time and they exist only in our minds. lets tear down the walss of division people and work together to build a great Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Are People From Onicha-ugbo Igbo Descent? by Afam4eva(m): 10:21am On Jan 22, 2013
uchobi: I think the writer has asked a very valid question, one that many are not able to answer. I am from Onicha-Ugbo and I can identify with his questions. Our elders do not like to be called igbo and have taught us the same. the story is that we are descendants of the Bini kingdom. you can see many aspects of the Bini kingdom in our culture, food and language. Contrary to what someone had said earlier here, we do not dress like the Igbos. rather our cultural dressing, our cultural administrative practices (by this i mean rulership) tends more towards the Bini way of life. Infact I see more similarities between our culture and that of the Bini Kingdom than I see of the Igbo culture. I figure the similarities seen in the language are probably from cross cultural interraction with the igbos across the Niger. Infact, in the whole ika ibo area, the more you move towards the river Niger, the more you see of the Igbo culture and language and vice versa on the Bini end. i guess its pretty complicated and with our penchant for not preserving history in Nigeria, a lot of it is being lost. I am priviledged to know a little because my dad made it his business to force me to know. I know its all complicated. Suffice it to say that we are all Nigerians. its okay to know your roots and your ancestry, but thats about it. when push comes to shove, we are all the same in the eyes of God. Therefore, i do not think we should preoccupy ourselves so much with who is igbo or yoruba or hausa or not. these differences have divided us for a long time and they exist only in our minds. lets tear down the walss of division people and work together to build a great Nigeria.
You just created a new moniker to say all this?

1 Like

Re: Are People From Onicha-ugbo Igbo Descent? by pazienza(m): 10:35am On Jan 22, 2013
There is nothing complicated about onicha-ugbo. You saying that because you have a bini like administration therefore you are from bini,is like nigerians saying because we have an american system of government,therefore we are from america. Can you now see how stupid that your line of thought is?Onicha ugbo having a bini like administration is as a result of bini imperialism on anioma,just like nigerians ended up emulating the americans,because of the british imperialism,it has nothing to do with being related to americans. The igbo tribes across the niger never had to face bini imperialism,so they retained their original republican nature,onicha people never had that privilege,not long after they fled bini led by ezechima and settled like other ezechima clans in anioma,the bini imperialists came calling,but onicha people would not subject to bini lordship,so they fought the binis,they lost,some of them fled to theirfarmlands hence onicha-ugbo,some went deep into bush hence onicha onucha olomina( onicha that fought and retreated) aka onicha olona, some crossed the niger river hence onicha mmili.

7 Likes

Re: Are People From Onicha-ugbo Igbo Descent? by AndreUweh(m): 1:14pm On Jan 22, 2013
@Uchobi, your silly post here is hilarious. First you come as a Biniman and telling us what you heard from probably your illiterate father. Later you said it doesn't matter we should all be united. If you all want us be united you shouldn't in the first place brought up the Bini crap.
Since when have we used our mode of dressing to determine who is Igbo or not?. Anyway, since you do not know anything about Igbo people and do not want to admit it, Aro people do dress like Ibibios yet they are not insane to say they are Ibibios.
Enjoy the pic of Aro.

1 Like

Re: Are People From Onicha-ugbo Igbo Descent? by wildikeman(m): 12:05pm On Jan 22, 2015
asha80:
they are confused
u are a wog!

1 Like

Re: Are People From Onicha-ugbo Igbo Descent? by wildikeman(m): 12:07pm On Jan 22, 2015
Dede1:
They are qualified Efulefu. Such persons could be mistaken for sacrificial objects in their village.
u are a vermin that needs to be exterminated. U and ur people

1 Like

Re: Are People From Onicha-ugbo Igbo Descent? by wildikeman(m): 12:32pm On Jan 22, 2015
odumchi:
@ Poster dont mind them. They are "ndi efulefu uvuve n'ebugari" meaning lost people carried by the wind.

You know in the late stages of the war, as the Nigerian army closed in on Delta State, they targeted Igbo men--especially young men who they suspected to be Biafran soldiers. So inorder to avoid such a fate, a few people claimed that they were not Igbo and had nothing to do with Igbo despite the fact that: they spoke Igbo, they wore Igbo attire, they answered Igbo names, and they had Igbo traditions. So the descendants of such people are the likes of your friends.

Please do me a favour, tell them that they are Igbos and are to be ashamed for saying they arent.
you are not making any sense at all. Go school u no gree. Are Austrians germans...despite the fact that they speak deustch Are the swiss of german, french and italian decent a part of any of the nations mentioned? Research things properly before writting that's how u know educated people. The land called onicha ugbo is a melting pot of these four nationalities. Ibo, beni and yoruba people. The ibos were there before the benis who emigrated from yorubaland cmae into contact with the ibos there then because of the cultural fusion there the people later had a mixture of both the ibo (which is better spoken at anambra) and yoruba and benin language. Oba which is a king title in benin and yorubaland is equivalent to -obi igwe. Which is in ibo land. And that term is used to describe our king. Dooh in benin which is sorry is ndooh in our land which is also sorry. So please get your facts right.
Re: Are People From Onicha-ugbo Igbo Descent? by wildikeman(m): 12:34pm On Jan 22, 2015
AndreUweh:
@Uchobi, your silly post here is hilarious. First you come as a Biniman and telling us what you heard from probably your illiterate father. Later you said it doesn't matter we should all be united. If you all want us be united you shouldn't in the first place brought up the Bini crap.
Since when have we used our mode of dressing to determine who is Igbo or not?. Anyway, since you do not know anything about Igbo people and do not want to admit it, Aro people do dress like Ibibios yet they are not insane to say they are Ibibios.
Enjoy the pic of Aro.
brother thanks man...
Re: Are People From Onicha-ugbo Igbo Descent? by cassandrankiru: 9:28pm On Sep 02, 2015
Well its their business to accept their origin or not, as for me I remain a proud igbo girl. Well if they r not igbos then they r refugees shikena.

1 Like

Re: Are People From Onicha-ugbo Igbo Descent? by ENIGMA24(m): 1:57am On Oct 09, 2015
I am an UDOMI from onitcha-ugbo this thread dates from 5yrs back, I came across it in search of a historical background for the people of onitcha-ugbo....I doubt if anyone is following this thread anymore.....but I'm dropping this abstract from an online page I found ..so it could help anyother curious individual
ABSTRACT
THE Ezechima Shrine in Obior of Aniocha North Local government of the state is said to be the ancestral home of all the towns and villages under the Ezechima clan. Highly revered, by both indigenes and visitors, there are circumstances that shaped the Ezechima Shrine which leaves one awed at the monument found there.
History has it that Chima the founder of Ezechima Clan fell in love with Eze, the princess and the first daughter of the Oba of Benin. Sequel to that development, the socio-political stance of Chima turned sour and unfavourable. He decided to search for a new home outside Benin. Hence the eastward migration
Chima and his wife embarked on this journey associated with dreadful encounters and battles. They finally came to Obior and settled under an ‘Ukpali’tree where they pitched tent. Here, they were blessed with children amongst whom were Ukpali, Onicha, Oligbo and Eziuzo. Through these children, they had grand children and it was in the search for fertile farm land and economic boost that these children founded towns as Onicha-Olona, Onicha-Ugbo, Onicha-Ukwu, Issele-Ukwu, Issele-Mkpitime, Issele- Azagba, Ezi, Obomkpa and Onicha Mmili.
Interestingly, these settlements of Chima’s children, they still recognise Ezechima shrine as the historical and spiritual centre point. It is the pivot on which the belief system of the clan revolves. The shrine is a revered monument sharpening the ties between the ancestral spirits and the living. Though this shrine is situated on the spot where Chima and the wife settled on their arrival, its sacredness and sensitivity is said to have come as a result of Chima’s unquestionable life after death and the mystery of the shrine.
When Chima grew old and was about to die, he called his children and showed them where he must be buried. He promised them guidance and protection even after death. He said that if there is life after death that he would be sending thunder and lightening to the grave if his spirit would dwell among the clouds in the firmament. He alternatively said too that if his spirit would remain under the earth surface that he would sprout up an anthill on the grave after some time. Chima died and was buried.
After some period a growth of anthill came up directly on the portion where the head of Chima was laid. That was the beginning of reverence and respect accorded to this spot. Apart from the anthill, today in the shrine, the statue of Eze the wife is prominently featured. She is surrounded by her children. The significance of Ezechima shrine is not far fetched in that it historically explains to curious minds that the place was where Chima and his wife settled and made their home. It was equally, the burial place of Chima the founder and father of ‘Umu Ezechima’.
One other notable point with the cultural significance is the prominence gained by the statue of Eze, the mother of Umu Ezechima in the shrine. Why is there no statue like that in the image of Chima? It is gathered that in this part of the world man is not represented in a clay statue. Rather an ‘Ofo’ a carved wooden sculpture is used to represent him. Ofo remains the staff and symbol of authority in the hand of the eldest man or king of the land.
It is believed that the efficacy of the Ofo is unquestionable as it is as strong as the man himself and so Chima represented in the Ofo is actively sitting in the shrine.
Tourists often visit the shrine during Ogbanigbe festival between October and November every year. This festival is for purification of the land in readiness for the celebration of the New Yam Festival. War songs and daces feature prominently during this period.
As visitors enjoy the glamour and beauty of dance in the festival, they remain curious about a shrine with an anthill not characterised with termite and other related ants, capable of causing damage.
Re: Are People From Onicha-ugbo Igbo Descent? by badnature: 8:36pm On Oct 09, 2015
the are all victims of yoruba media propaganda.just 2 days ago I save one of them from identity crisis,he is from "okpanam " the same village with Nzogwu but he claims he is not igbo that his tribe is "okpanam" I told him Nooo okpanam is the name of your village, he insisted! then I asked him,why did you think the north regard Nzogwu as igbo man ?and your telling me that you're not igbo? does it mean you know something that northern and Yoruba politicians don't know? and he was even confused more than ever before,but at the end he came to the realization of most of his people sTupidity and madness

1 Like

Re: Are People From Onicha-ugbo Igbo Descent? by ENIGMA24(m): 8:48pm On Oct 09, 2015
badnature:
the are all victims of yoruba media propaganda.just 2 days ago I save one of them from identity crisis,he is from "okpanam " the same village with Nzogwu but he claims he is not igbo that his tribe is "okpanam" I told him Nooo okpanam is the name of your village, he insisted! then I asked him,why did you think the north regard Nzogwu as igbo man ?and your telling me that you're not igbo? does it mean you know something that northern and Yoruba politicians don't know? and he was even confused more than ever before,but at the end he came to the realization of most of his people sTupidity and madness
With such historical conflict of igbo and Benin both having a large level of historical influence, you can't blame them or shld I say us for nt accepting to be igbo....as for me if u ask me.....I can still say I am igbo.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Our People Are So Bush And Uncultured...... Picture included / Traditional Requirements For Calabar Girls. / How Rare Is It To Be A Light Skinned Yoruba Girl?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.