Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,009 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:49 AM

Do You 'look at', 'See', Or 'Watch' Movies - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Do You 'look at', 'See', Or 'Watch' Movies (569 Views)

25 Television Networks You Can Stream Or Watch For Free On Your Android Phone. / Terrarium TV: Watch Movies & TV Shows / How To Download Or Watch Latest Movies With No Data Consumption (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Do You 'look at', 'See', Or 'Watch' Movies by Nobody: 9:50pm On Aug 23, 2017
look OR see OR watch?

Look, see and watch are verbs that we use to talk about our sense of sight - using our eyes. But they have important differences in meaning.

look (at)

When we look, we try to see. We make a special effort. We concentrate our eyes on something.

Look! It's snowing!
Look at this photo! Isn't it beautiful?
I'm looking but I don't see it.

When we use look with an object, we say look + at + object, for example:
John looked at Mary.

see

We use see to mean simply that an image comes into our eyes. It may not be deliberate. As soon as we open our eyes, we see things.

I can see a cloud in the sky.
I suddenly saw a bird fly in front of me.
Didn't you see Ram? He was waving at you.
watch

With the verb watch, we are much more active. Watch is like look, but requires more effort from us. We watch things that are going to move or change in some way. And we watch the movements and changes.

"The police decided to watch the suspected murderer rather than arrest him immediately. They hoped he would lead them to the body."

"I like watching motor racing on TV."

"If you watch that egg for long enough you'll see it hatch."

watch or see for movies, concerts, TV etc

In general, we use see for public performances and watch for television at home.

"We're going to see George Clooney's latest movie at the cinema tonight."

"We saw the All Blacks beat Wales in Cardiff last year."

"Did you ever see Michael Jackson live on stage?"

"Have you seen that Gaddafi video on YouTube?"

"Last night we stayed home and watched some films on TV."

"When I'm bored I play a few DVDs and watch them on my computer."

https://www.englishclub.com/vocabulary/cw-see-look-watch.htm

Briareos, UjSizzle, prof800
Re: Do You 'look at', 'See', Or 'Watch' Movies by jakD: 10:21pm On Aug 23, 2017
Thank you! Another lesson learnt and I'm sure many will gain from it.

1 Like

Re: Do You 'look at', 'See', Or 'Watch' Movies by MurderEnglish(m): 10:29pm On Aug 23, 2017
I have been vindicated o. If I say I look movies the will say it is queens English and that it is wrong.

Thank God, the correct one is the one have been speaking.

Make I go and watch Rambo first blood in my neighbor pallor. grin

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Do You Wish To Be An Actor Or Actress ? Jackie Appiah Is Given The Opportunity / Top Ten Movies At The US Box Office This Weekend / Before We Get Too Tigh On TSTV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.