Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,977 members, 7,814,333 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:11 AM

Where Is The Change Of Name Necessary After Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Where Is The Change Of Name Necessary After Marriage (2482 Views)

1 Year After Marriage, I Am Already Tired / Man Marries Lady Impregnated By Another Man. Finds Out After Marriage (Photos) / My Wife Is A Good Woman But Hates Sex After Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Is The Change Of Name Necessary After Marriage by BNLR(m): 10:17pm On Aug 23, 2017
Please I will like the experienced nairalander in the house to explain where it is necessary for a woman to change name after marriage and the procedures. Thanks.

I wish the mod can do the needful about this important post.
Re: Where Is The Change Of Name Necessary After Marriage by NoToPile: 8:53am On Aug 24, 2017
It can be a long process

Get an affidavit at high court signed by commissioner of oaths, you may ask a lawyer to prepare the format for you, with a passport at the top right corner ,walk in to Ikeja high court ask for commissioner of oaths office its 500naira they will collect to stamp and put their seal.

Publish in the newspaper, you will need the marriage cert, and / or the affidavit its about 3-5k depending on newspaper.

Changing Bvn /bank details, if she's done NIMC and has the slip she can modify its 500naira, take to the nearest NIMC center for modification you will pay 500naira via remitta for modification present your documents (affidavit, newspaper and slip bearing your former name, they insisted on high court affidavit not all these magistrate stuffs) you update your details, they may tell you to come back in some weeks time. (NIMC seems to be the cheapest and easiest of what obanks are now requiring for ID card).

If she has not registered for NIMC slip before she will just register fresh with her new name.

Proceed to bank with all your docs, wedding cert, newspaper, and your NIMC slip (new name)containing NIN number and they willl work on changing your details. I know gtb accepts NIMC slip now .

Inform your workplace, school (if still in school) and present the documents.

As for all documents (certs etc etc)obtained before the change of name they remain valid. So they say you just present your change of name affidavit with the cert bearing old name.

2 Likes

Re: Where Is The Change Of Name Necessary After Marriage by BNLR(m): 4:02pm On Aug 24, 2017
Thank you
Re: Where Is The Change Of Name Necessary After Marriage by Mbliz(f): 2:34pm On Sep 06, 2021
Most centers around ibeju lekki said they cannot change the name. That one needs to go to alausa. Hmmm. Do you have any contact that could be of help please
Re: Where Is The Change Of Name Necessary After Marriage by Mbliz(f): 2:36pm On Sep 06, 2021
NoToPile:
It can be a long process

Get an affidavit at high court signed by commissioner of oaths, you may ask a lawyer to prepare the format for you, with a passport at the top right corner ,walk in to Ikeja high court ask for commissioner of oaths office its 500naira they will collect to stamp and put their seal.

Publish in the newspaper, you will need the marriage cert, and / or the affidavit its about 3-5k depending on newspaper.

Changing Bvn /bank details, if she's done NIMC and has the slip she can modify its 500naira, take to the nearest NIMC center for modification you will pay 500naira via remitta for modification present your documents (affidavit, newspaper and slip bearing your former name, they insisted on high court affidavit not all these magistrate stuffs) you update your details, they may tell you to come back in some weeks time. (NIMC seems to be the cheapest and easiest of what obanks are now requiring for ID card).

If she has not registered for NIMC slip before she will just register fresh with her new name.

Proceed to bank with all your docs, wedding cert, newspaper, and your NIMC slip (new name)containing NIN number and they willl work on changing your details. I know gtb accepts NIMC slip now .

Inform your workplace, school (if still in school) and present the documents.

As for all documents (certs etc etc)obtained before the change of name they remain valid. So they say you just present your change of name affidavit with the cert bearing old name.
I have visited 3 centers and they all say they can't change the name. 2 licensed agents offices and nin 1 office. Please do you have any contact that can be of help please
Re: Where Is The Change Of Name Necessary After Marriage by NoToPile: 9:30am On Sep 07, 2021
Re: Where Is The Change Of Name Necessary After Marriage by NoToPile: 9:32am On Sep 07, 2021
Mbliz:

I have visited 3 centers and they all say they can't change the name. 2 licensed agents offices and nin 1 office. Please do you have any contact that can be of help please

Sorry for the late response. I just asked and was told its possible, go to any NIMC office inside any LGA close to you.
Re: Where Is The Change Of Name Necessary After Marriage by yak(m): 6:02pm On Sep 07, 2021
Mbliz:
Most centers around ibeju lekki said they cannot change the name. That one needs to go to alausa. Hmmm. Do you have any contact that could be of help please

Go to a local govt office. The FEPs cannot do it
Re: Where Is The Change Of Name Necessary After Marriage by pooozeee(m): 6:40pm On Sep 17, 2021
Mbliz:

Contact this number for any change of name and change of DOB sparhighwise@gmail.com

Re: Where Is The Change Of Name Necessary After Marriage by Kobojunkie: 7:00pm On Sep 17, 2021
BNLR:
Please I will like the experienced nairalander in the house to explain where it is necessary for a woman to change name after marriage and the procedures. Thanks.

I wish the mod can do the needful about this important post.
Where or why? undecided

If Why, then It is not necessary. It's in fact a choice which people are meant to make in their individual marriages. Unfortunately, the Nigerian culture remains one of follow-follow - people doing things not because it makes sense but because they see others doing it. undecided

(1) (Reply)

Is It Advisable For Two Mother-in-laws To Stay In The Same House? / "Nigerian Families Are Very Traditional" - Scottish Scholar / Female Circumcision: Grandma Kills Grand Daughter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.