Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,408 members, 7,812,209 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:06 AM

ASUU To Meet FG Again On Strike - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU To Meet FG Again On Strike (10412 Views)

WAEC: Parents Meet FG Monday, Insist On School Resumption / ASUU Strike Update Day 86: ASUU Receives Nupemco Licence, To Meet Fg Again This / ASUU Strike: Lecturers Meet FG Delegation, Fix Another Meeting For Monday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU To Meet FG Again On Strike by slayminder(m): 6:29am On Aug 28, 2017
There are indications that the Academic Staff Union of Universities may meet with the Federal Government this week over the ongoing strike by the union .
The ASUU strike which started on Sunday , August 13 , 2017 was announced by its National President , Prof . Biodun Ogunyemi , at a meeting of the National Executive Council of the union in Abuja.
It was learnt on Sunday that the union would present its position to the government on the offers made by the Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr Chris Ngige , during their meeting on August 17 , 2017 in Abuja .
A source explained that the ASUU meeting , which held on Saturday at the University of Abuja , discussed whether to suspend the strike on the basis of the offers made by the government .
The FG had during the meeting with ASUU leadership in Abuja offered to pay N23 bn and a monthly payment of N1 . 5 bn pending the outcome of the forensic audit being carried out by the Ministry of Finance .
It could not be immediately ascertained if the money had been paid as promised by the government .
Our correspondent gathered that over 80 per cent of the union members across the country voted that the strike should continue until the government fulfilled its part of the bargain.
The source said , “ The ASUU meeting which held last Saturday at UniAbuja discussed the offers made by the government and whether the strike should be called off on the basis of the offers made by the government .
“ It was decided that ASUU might seek an audience with the government this week to negotiate further concessions before the strike is called off. ”
The ASUU President , Prof . Biodun Ogunyemi , could not be reached for comment as he did not respond to calls and SMS to his phone.
Meanwhile , The PUNCH gathered on Sunday that university lecturers who were employed after 2010 would not benefit from the N23 bn Earned Academic Allowances released by the Federal Government.
A source in ASUU in the South- West, who did not his name in print , said that lecturers engaged after 2010 would not be beneficiaries .
The source said , “ There was an ASUU NEC meeting held on Friday in Abuja . Our zonal chairmen would be briefed on the outcome of deliberations on the NEC meeting particularly on the N23 bn which was offered by the Federal Government.
“ The about nine zones of ASUU will be meeting on Monday ( today ) to brief their members on the outcome of their deliberations concerning the ongoing strike over the 2009 agreement by the Federal Government.
“ Top on the agenda to be discussed includes the N23 bn which the government had recently agreed to pay . The N23 bn is the arrears of 2009 and 2010 . So , anybody that was employed after 2010 may not even benefit from it because that person did not earn it. The money is called Earned Academic Allowance, so you must have worked for the money and earned it.
“ The money is just like overtime and it is paid for somebody that had done that work , not the normal working hours . It is earned and (exclusively ) for 2009 and 2010 . The Federal Government made an offer and collected views from all branches as to what they will do concerning the N23 bn offer. ”

source:http://punchng.com/ASUU-to-meet-fg-again-on-strike/
Re: ASUU To Meet FG Again On Strike by lirusehn(m): 6:48am On Aug 28, 2017

. Met on Saturday and till now no report has been given. Nigeria is a zoo undecided

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ASUU To Meet FG Again On Strike by gentle136(m): 7:05am On Aug 28, 2017
u guys better come to a reasonable conclusion.
Our educational standard have falls short of what we need.
Re: ASUU To Meet FG Again On Strike by babyfaceafrica: 7:22am On Aug 28, 2017
It has always been about the money for ASUU

4 Likes

Re: ASUU To Meet FG Again On Strike by CornelG(m): 7:22am On Aug 28, 2017
ASUU are bunch of greedy and selfish old men, even the 23bn they are not ready to share it equally! No wonder my father used to tell us that even in Bear parlours their are Chairmen and Ogars there!! Toh meanwhile am watching them from my angle ninety degree on my HD device with 4G network maself!!! Just hope and prayed that they agreed to called off so as we may go back to skul as soon as possible because am already getting tired of this noise at home everytime!!!!!

4 Likes

Re: ASUU To Meet FG Again On Strike by Franco93: 7:35am On Aug 28, 2017
If it were when Osinbanjo was the Acting President, this issue would have been settled last week. But since the certificate-less man is back, the strike continues.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ASUU To Meet FG Again On Strike by sleeknick: 7:36am On Aug 28, 2017
hi
Re: ASUU To Meet FG Again On Strike by Shortyy(f): 7:36am On Aug 28, 2017
I'm traveling today, they're saying Owerri is dangerous now. I wonder how e go be
Re: ASUU To Meet FG Again On Strike by Nobody: 7:37am On Aug 28, 2017
CornelG:
ASUU are bunch of greedy and selfish old men, even the 23bn they are not ready to share it equally! No wonder my father used to tell us that even in Bear parlours their are Chairmen and Ogars there!! Toh meanwhile am watching them from my angle ninety degree on my HD device with 4G network maself!!! Just hope and prayed that they agreed to called off so as we may go back to skul as soon as possible because am already getting tired of this noise at home everytime!!!!!
ASUU strike is affecting your English...no be bear parlour, na tiger's parlour.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ASUU To Meet FG Again On Strike by icedfire(m): 7:37am On Aug 28, 2017
more prostitutes will be on the loose if this is not resolved quickly
Re: ASUU To Meet FG Again On Strike by Durosure(m): 7:37am On Aug 28, 2017
Okay
Re: ASUU To Meet FG Again On Strike by jeff44(m): 7:40am On Aug 28, 2017
anything they like dae shud do... make i park well watch my game of thrones

1 Like

Re: ASUU To Meet FG Again On Strike by Integrityfarms(m): 7:44am On Aug 28, 2017
Shortyy:
I'm traveling today, they're saying Owerri is dangerous now. I wonder how e go be

No fear. Just avoid Douglas Road if you can, but if not, just be sure to raise up your hands... Dazzol
Re: ASUU To Meet FG Again On Strike by anjowaka510(m): 7:44am On Aug 28, 2017
We need a better response ASAP
Re: ASUU To Meet FG Again On Strike by Dramadiddy(m): 7:46am On Aug 28, 2017
Shortyy:
really what's going on there
Re: ASUU To Meet FG Again On Strike by jayriginal: 7:47am On Aug 28, 2017
CornelG:
ASUU are bunch of greedy and selfish old men, even the 23bn they are not ready to share it equally!

Was it earned equally?

Learn how to read!
Re: ASUU To Meet FG Again On Strike by Braveryy(m): 7:48am On Aug 28, 2017
I see greed everywhere.

1 Like

Re: ASUU To Meet FG Again On Strike by Associateprof: 7:49am On Aug 28, 2017
ASUU SHOULD RECIPROCATE

Looking at the current economic erosion this country is facing, it will b inconsiderate for ASUU members to shun at the money given to them by the fed. Gov.by continuing strike.. I don't see any reason y ppl of ASUU decided to continue the strike despite 23 bn nd 1.5bn given to them by the fed government.. Will strike add naira to their pockets? ..it is too barbaric to keep the students of Nigeria stranded with this unreasonable protracted strike.

Now post jamb hv been restored which I kn will fetch the Nigerian universities a lot of money. This unreasonable protracted strike may end up lasting for 6-7 months as usual..

To me,two wrongs can never make a right.ASUU should accept the fed.government offer nd return to classrooms..nd restore the hope of our students..

#istandtobcorrected#

3 Likes

Re: ASUU To Meet FG Again On Strike by CornelG(m): 7:56am On Aug 28, 2017
abejide1000:
ASUU strike is affecting your English...no be bear parlour, na tiger's parlour.
Ok thank you very much for that correction, indeed you must be an addict customer of that place. No doubt about it

1 Like

Re: ASUU To Meet FG Again On Strike by yahmohy27: 7:59am On Aug 28, 2017
All I know is it won't last as the previous onez
Re: ASUU To Meet FG Again On Strike by olola4(m): 7:59am On Aug 28, 2017
ok
Re: ASUU To Meet FG Again On Strike by CornelG(m): 7:59am On Aug 28, 2017
jayriginal:

Was it earned equally?
Learn how to read!
But is everybody national cake right?
Re: ASUU To Meet FG Again On Strike by emajoe: 8:02am On Aug 28, 2017
gentle136:
u guys better come to a reasonable conclusion.

Our educational standard have falls cheesy short of what we need.

I can understand the standard with the BOLD phrase. grin grin grin
"gentle136" please raise your English power to 10 (1+3+6)you will be better than those lecturers!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU To Meet FG Again On Strike by jayriginal: 8:03am On Aug 28, 2017
CornelG:

But is everybody national cake right?

No its not.

It's money paid for work done during a certain period. If you were not employed during that period you couldn't have done the work and therefore can't earn for that period.
Re: ASUU To Meet FG Again On Strike by gentle136(m): 8:09am On Aug 28, 2017
emajoe:

"gentle136" please raise your English power to 10 (1+3+6)you will be better than those lecturers!!!
u funny pass Basketmouth lecturer Emajoegringrin
Re: ASUU To Meet FG Again On Strike by freedom96: 8:15am On Aug 28, 2017
They've already started mentioning who and who is to get the money even before calling off the strike.I hope they don't get divided,their strike motto was about unity.

1 Like

Re: ASUU To Meet FG Again On Strike by gentle136(m): 8:16am On Aug 28, 2017
emajoe:

bring out d error or errors let me prove u wrong.
Re: ASUU To Meet FG Again On Strike by newslifeop: 8:17am On Aug 28, 2017
Ok
Re: ASUU To Meet FG Again On Strike by Meritocracy: 8:17am On Aug 28, 2017
The money is not for 2009 and 2010 only because Jonathan Government had paid till 2012. I mean 3years arrears.

1 Like

Re: ASUU To Meet FG Again On Strike by CornelG(m): 8:18am On Aug 28, 2017
jayriginal:

No its not.

It's money paid for work done during a certain period. If you were not employed during that period you couldn't have done the work and therefore can't earn for that period.

All are trash speaking
Then those who are not qualified for the money should opt out of the strike then and resume work if that is the case.
Re: ASUU To Meet FG Again On Strike by tens4real(m): 8:20am On Aug 28, 2017
ASSU will definately call off this strike and student wil resume after the salah break
Re: ASUU To Meet FG Again On Strike by jayriginal: 8:23am On Aug 28, 2017
CornelG:

All are trash speaking
Then those who are not qualified for the money should opt out of the strike then and resume work if that is the case.

Do you understand the concept of a union? It's not an individual agitation!

(1) (2) (Reply)

JAMB Eight Keypad And Their Functionality / FG May Transfer Uni-abuja Students To Other Varsities / ASUU: Our Decision On Strike Will Be On Or Before Wednesday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.