Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,740 members, 7,824,135 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:02 AM

Sallah: Customs Seizes Bags Of Expired Rice In Lagos - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Sallah: Customs Seizes Bags Of Expired Rice In Lagos (522 Views)

Customs Seizes $8 Million At Lagos International Airport / The Containers Containing Expired Rice That Customs Seized At The Port - Photos / 25 Containers Of Expired Rice In Tin Can Island Intercepted By Customs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sallah: Customs Seizes Bags Of Expired Rice In Lagos by HungerBAD: 8:01am On Aug 29, 2017
By YUSUF BABALOLA, Lagos –

The Federal Operations Unit, Zone A, of the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) yesterday said that it has seized 1,237 bags of expired foreign parboiled rice in Lagos.

This was disclosed by the Customs Area Controller (CAC) of the unit, Comptroller Muhammed Uba Garba at the command warehouse in Ikeja.

The contraband which has a value of N9million was allegedly imported from neighboring Benin Republic.

“These are 50kg of 1,237 bags of foreign Rice with duty of over Nl8million and some of these rice are expired.

“The ban of FG on rice and import vehicles are still in force and that is why we have to enforce the FG policy on banned on importation of rice and vehicles. We will continue to enforce the policies because there is policy on local rice production we have to encourage local rice millers that will encourage the farmers for local production to improve and majority of Nigerians will get employed.

“Some of these rice are expired and these are used clothing and they are under prohibition and as policy implementers, we must ensure this goods are not allowed to come in.”

However, the United said it intercepted another 27 assorted vehicles that were smuggled into the country through the land borders.

He said, “Barely three weeks after intensifying our operational modalities, the field operatives fortified with credible information trailed and evacuated 27 assorted vehicles smuggled into the country through unapproved routes.

“The smuggled vehicles includes, Toyota Prado jeep, Hilux, Highlander, Mercedes-Benz among others ranging from 2007 to 2013 models. These 27 assorted vehicles alone have a Duty Paid Value of N228million.”

The unit also said it intercepted rice, frozen poultry products, Indian hemps, medicaments, used tyres and various general merchandise valued at N303million.

“In the same vein, the unit through our interventions recovered N252million from duty payments and demand notices on general goods that tried to outsmart our officers at seaports, airports and land borders through wrong classification, transfer of value and shortchange in duty payment that are meant for the federal government.

“A cumulative sum of N784million were recorded within the week under review.”

Comptroller Garba also reiterated Federal Government ban on importation of rice and vehicles- Used and New- through the land borders.

“For the avoidance of doubt, the Federal government policies banning the importation of rice and vehicles through the land borders are still in force and the Nigeria Customs Service remains tenacious in its determination to enforce these policies,” he warned sternly.

Lalasticlacla Mynd44 Seun

http://leadership.ng/2017/08/29/sallah-customs-seizes-bags-expired-rice-lagos/

4 Likes

Re: Sallah: Customs Seizes Bags Of Expired Rice In Lagos by madridguy(m): 8:07am On Aug 29, 2017
Good job by the NCS.

2 Likes

Re: Sallah: Customs Seizes Bags Of Expired Rice In Lagos by Gwazah(m): 8:22am On Aug 29, 2017
Who is fooling who in Nigeria? embargo is placed on importation of foreign rice yet all my custom frnds I know eats and depend on foreign rice. Aso Rock is feeding on foreign rice, all the politicians I know dares not local rice. Now my question is, is this government for real? is it an idea to reduce the population of the country through hardship?
Re: Sallah: Customs Seizes Bags Of Expired Rice In Lagos by Evablizin(f): 8:29am On Aug 29, 2017
Gwazah:
Who is fooling who in Nigeria? embargo is placed on importation of foreign rice yet all my custom frnds I know eats and depend on foreign rice. Aso Rock is feeding on foreign rice, all the politicians I know dares not local rice. Now my question is, is this government for real? is it an idea to reduce the population of the country through hardship?
May God continue to bless your brain

1 Like

Re: Sallah: Customs Seizes Bags Of Expired Rice In Lagos by favourmic(m): 8:44am On Aug 29, 2017
Expired
Re: Sallah: Customs Seizes Bags Of Expired Rice In Lagos by hahn(m): 9:43am On Aug 29, 2017
I don't see the big deal after all we have an expired president

*walks away*
Re: Sallah: Customs Seizes Bags Of Expired Rice In Lagos by EricSmallz(m): 8:40pm On Sep 16, 2017
Oga HungerBAD... Hope you saw my class pictures on FP yesterday? I still havn't submitted my file.. You promised me and I believed you so much. Am the only person remaining. Please.. Help me na
Re: Sallah: Customs Seizes Bags Of Expired Rice In Lagos by HungerBAD: 8:41pm On Sep 16, 2017
EricSmallz:
Oga HungerBAD... Hope you saw my class pictures on FP yesterday? I still havn't submitted my file.. You promised me and I believed you so much. Am the only person remaining. Please.. Help me na

I have not been around the internet for a while. Just going though my mail box.

4 Likes

Re: Sallah: Customs Seizes Bags Of Expired Rice In Lagos by EricSmallz(m): 9:15pm On Sep 16, 2017
HungerBAD:

I have not been around the internet for a while. Just going though my mail box.
OK boss

(1) (Reply)

Lagos State Gets A New Commissioner Of Police / Teenage Hausa Fulani Arrested While Trying To Kill And Rob Another Victim / Two Sterling Bank Staff Sent To Prison For Stealing Employer’s N25.4m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.