Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,109 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:16 PM

The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. (16016 Views)

Innocent Ilo Wins 2020 Commonwealth Short-story For African Region / Participate In The 2018 APEN/AISEN Short Story Contest, Powered By Okadabooks / Publiseer Is A Finalist At The 2018 Harvard Business School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by thewritingtodo(m): 10:46pm On Sep 19, 2017
Mike4S:
A synopsis of a story that was submitted and shared in Facebook.

A young girl once vowed that she would never marry a poor man. Changing men was akin to throwing out old shoes and buying a new pair.
This continued until she got the right man. The flirtation later blossomed into a permanent relationship.
Luckily to her, the young man became more popular than before that people encouraged him to test his political prowess.
The clarion call was heeded to as the man tried it and won. The lady who inveigled the young man into marrying her was very happy to be called "first lady".
Soon the Governor made an oversea incursion: in order to bring his elder brother, who was involved in illegal migration, home.
Just when the Governor was about to come back, their plane "missed".
A de facto government that saw his ex officio replacement take over government emerged.
The wife was not happy as she was stripped off her position. She did not obey the law of financial dictum and soon she was at the precipice of bankruptcy.
Her lifestyle was such that she abhorred dressing like others. She was the originator of most dresses and never put on what has been hackneyed.
This, coupled with her wacky hairstyle and excessive makeover that had in many times earned her indecent proposal, were the remote cause of her downfall.
In a strange paradox, the beauty she engaged in made her look ugly before causing her to look beautiful.
This made her to spend the entirety of many days at home. When she later saw her aesthetic remark to be fair, she started venturing out like others.
Soon the beauty faded again and she returned to her ugly self. This, coupled with her inability to pay her bills, caused her to sell her husband's house; which was yet to be willed to her.
She was the talk of the day for that singular act. She was publicly vilified by fans and foes.
Just as she used to recoil from any man whose pocket got dried, she soon surprised the populace by sharing an invitation card...inviting guests to her wedding with a Korea-based man.
No sooner that she shared the card than the new lover arrived. She released a bombastic that startled everyone on hearing that her latest lover has arrived.
In order to solicit compliment from the man, she made up herself and headed to the airport.
The Korea-based man who had not seen her before did not hide his surprise on seeing a face that did not match his 'taste.'
The young woman seeing, the perplex in the new lover's face, tried to hypnotise him but to no avail.
The Korea-based man who was angry with her look accused her of faking her beauty. The woman's look was different from the one that moved the Korea-based man in one of the social media (twitter). The man staged a walkout and the young woman, who had used all her feminine wiles to win the man, was helpless. When it dawned on her that what then happened was the finality of her marriage, she released a paroxysm of grief that sounded like that of a wounded animal. This did not fall on a sympathetic ear as the 'run away' lover did not turn back.
The young woman agonised it throughout her life as there was no more marital prospect for her.
The missing husband later returned from Europe and did not marry the gold digger again.

WHAT IS YOUR OPINION?

Lol. Are you Hon. Patrick's brother? Easy on the big words biko. If you're looking for honest reviews (for this contest purpose) maybe you should show your work to friends and family first, then to an expert outside this forum. When you're not in a contest with people here, then nairaland is good place to ask for reviews. My 2 cents oh.

1 Like

Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by nijabazaar: 11:06am On Sep 22, 2017
I'd just submitted a story too the synopsis is thus:

A young girl got infected with Spinal Menigitis (a super debilitating disease) just two months off her Mother's death.

So the story centers on how her father and her two older siblings coped with her, the advancement of the disease and the threat of an extra terrestrial influence .

One thing is to have spinal Meningitis and another is to fight off a demon keen on possessing your daughter.

Inspiration came from reading House of Leaves.

2 Likes

Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by josephine123: 10:41pm On Sep 22, 2017
Cool
Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by musicwriter(m): 10:54pm On Sep 22, 2017
Commonwealth the congregation of slaves. How a black man/woman would be glad to be part of this is puzzling to me.

Why is it that the same Britain that is exiting the European Union; is strengthening the commonwealth?

It is time to abolish the British commonwealth of nations. Details www.africason.com/2016/08/its-time-to-abolish-commonwealth-of.html

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by DarkRebel69: 11:08pm On Sep 22, 2017
I can see Ibkayee reading this with fixed and unwavering intensity, probably has already conjured a thousand stories in her head. Her mind already salivating over the £5000 to be won. Heehee.

Will you participate?
Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by Mexicanlover: 11:10pm On Sep 22, 2017
Frankenstein:
I don't think political stories would be chosen.

Better to write about Political Correctness.
Frankenstein:

Frankenstein:

Frankenstein:

Frankenstein:

Frankenstein:

[/left][color=#770077][/color]
[quote][/quote][left]
issoraite
Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by ibkayee(f): 11:24pm On Sep 22, 2017
DarkRebel69:
I can see Ibkayee reading this with fixed and unwavering intensity, probably has already conjured a thousand stories in her head. Her mind already salivating over the £5000 to be won. Heehee.

Will you participate?
Lool!

I'll come up with the plot and you can write it for me grin

Nah I'm not, but that's not a bad award at all cheesy
Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by Nobody: 11:32pm On Sep 22, 2017
This is booring
Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by bullabong(m): 11:40pm On Sep 22, 2017
Divepen1:

We are delighted to announce that the Commonwealth Short Story Prize, the flagship project ofCommonwealth Writers, is open for entries from 1 September 2017 to 1 November 2017.

Entry is free.

The Prize is for the best piece of unpublished short fiction (2,000 - 5,000 words) in English; regional winners receive £2,500 and the overall winner receives £5,000. Stories translated into English are eligible, and this year we invite entries in the original languages of Bengali, Chinese, Kiswahili, Malay, Portuguese, Samoan and Tamil.

The five winning stories from the 2018 competition will be published online by Granta Magazine.

Visit their website for the entry and eligibility guidelines and online entry form:
Visit their website
Ok
Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by safarigirl(f): 11:41pm On Sep 22, 2017
Mike4S:

A young girl once vowed that she would never marry a poor man. Changing men was akin to throwing out old shoes and buying a new pair.
This continued until she got the right man. The flirtation later blossomed into a permanent relationship.
Luckily to her, the young man became more popular than before that people encouraged him to test his political prowess.
The clarion call was heeded to as the man tried it and won. The lady who inveigled the young man into marrying her was very happy to be called "first lady".
Soon the Governor made an oversea incursion: in order to bring his elder brother, who was involved in illegal migration, home.
A de facto government that saw his ex officio replacement take over government emerged.
The wife was not happy as she was stripped off her position. She did not obey the law of financial dictum and soon she was at the precipice of bankruptcy.
Her lifestyle was such that she abhorred dressing like others. She was the originator of most dresses and never put on what has been hackneyed.
This, coupled with her wacky hairstyle and excessive makeover that had in many times earned her indecent proposal, were the remote cause of her downfall.
In a strange paradox, the beauty she engaged in made her look ugly before causing her to look beautiful.
This made her to spend the entirety of many days at home. When she later saw her aesthetic remark to be fair, she started venturing out like others.
Soon the beauty faded again and she returned to her ugly self. This, coupled with her inability to pay her bills, caused her to sell her husband's house; which was yet to be willed to her.
She was the talk of the day for that singular act. She was publicly vilified by fans and foes.
Just as she used to recoil from any man whose pocket got dried, she soon surprised the populace by sharing an invitation card...inviting guests to her wedding with a Korea-based man.
No sooner that she shared the card than the new lover arrived. She released a bombastic that startled everyone on hearing that her latest lover has arrived.
In order to solicit compliment from the man, she made up herself and headed to the airport.
The Korea-based man who had not seen her before did not hide his surprise on seeing a face that did not match his 'taste.'
The young woman seeing, the perplex in the new lover's face, tried to hypnotise him but to no avail.
The Korea-based man who was angry with her look accused her of faking her beauty. The woman's look was different from the one that moved the Korea-based man in one of the social media (twitter). The man staged a walkout and the young woman, who had used all her feminine wiles to win the man, was helpless. When it dawned on her that what then happened was the finality of her marriage, she released a paroxysm of grief that sounded like that of a wounded animal. This did not fall on a sympathetic ear as the 'run away' lover did not turn back.
The young woman agonised it throughout her life as there was no more marital prospect for her.
The missing husband later returned from Europe and did not marry the gold digger again.

WHAT IS YOUR OPINION?
This is obviously not a synopsis.

That's my opinion

2 Likes

Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by kikake: 12:18am On Sep 23, 2017
Spexo001:
A short story about biafra in Tamil language will do...

Tamils surrendered completely to Sri Lanka, had the Tamil leader killed in action.

Biafra did not totally surrender because Biafra leader did not surrender Biafra to you or to Nigeria; Ojukwu lived after the cessation of war to fight another day, like a brave warrior.

Biafrans have surged again to restore their country.
So cry me a river; oh you Parasite.

Tell your sponsors that no country was created to remain indivisible.

1 Like

Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by orebe(m): 6:16am On Sep 23, 2017
What type of story?
Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by purples25(f): 10:15am On Sep 23, 2017
Mike4S:

WHAT IS YOUR OPINION?

Great story.

2 Likes

Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by MacSmart(m): 10:19am On Sep 23, 2017
I AM GOING TO WIN THIS COMPETITION. NEXT YEAR , WHEN THE WINNER IS ANNOUNCED, I WILL RECALL THIS PAGE.

YOU CAN BOOKMARK IT.
Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by Spexo001(m): 11:22am On Sep 23, 2017
kikake:

Tamils surrendered completely to Sri Lanka, had the Tamil leader killed in action.

Biafra did not totally surrender because Biafra leader did not surrender Biafra to you or to Nigeria; Ojukwu lived after the cessation of war to fight another day, like a brave warrior.

Biafrans have surged again to restore their country.
So cry me a river; oh you Parasite.

Tell your sponsors that no country was created to remain indivisible.
if not for the fact that we share the same ideology (biafra) i for return ur insult. I FORGIVE YOU as i understand u misunderstand me. shalom
Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by Teecash1409: 2:33pm On Sep 23, 2017
how to join smiley .
Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by KpagoGIN(m): 1:17pm On Sep 24, 2017
ManCrimes:
Please guys I need you to read my novel titled' No More Pleasure for dead girls " thank by mancrimes. Thank you.
Will do, worry not much!
Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by itsandi(m): 5:09pm On Sep 30, 2017
Nice one... Read other cool stories on Tushstories via

tushstories.com

#Click!
Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by greeeneyes(m): 8:15pm On Oct 15, 2017
http://imbube.org/contestants/our-hands-are-sticks-and-our-chests-are-drums/

Hi fellow writers, kindly follow the link above, read the story, like it, and vote for me (it's a short story competition). God bless��

1 Like

Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by Tamass: 10:02pm On Oct 18, 2017
ManCrimes:
Please guys I need you to read my novel titled' No More Pleasure for dead girls " thank by mancrimes. Thank you.
I can't find episode 1-3
Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by Mike4S: 5:07am On Oct 19, 2017
safarigirl:
This is obviously not a synopsis.

That's my opinion
May be you are a victim of the scenario here.
Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by festwiz(m): 12:02am On Oct 21, 2017
Would a story with death as it's central theme be accepted?
Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by Divepen1(m): 7:31am On Oct 21, 2017
festwiz:
Would a story with death as it's central theme be accepted?
of course... The last winner wrote about the death of someone... How he was killed blablablabla
Re: The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. by festwiz(m): 10:15am On Oct 21, 2017
Divepen1:
of course... The last winner wrote about the death of someone... How he was killed blablablabla
Okay, thanks alot.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos Dudes: The Beginning!! / CROSS Roads(a True Life Story) / Story: Fast Lane

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.