Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,469 members, 7,816,110 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:07 AM

My Journey From Port Harcourt To Lagos With Google Maps As My Companion - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Journey From Port Harcourt To Lagos With Google Maps As My Companion (8186 Views)

I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car / How Auto Dealers Lost Cars Worth N500m To Lagos Pipeline Fire (photos) / From Port Harcourt To Lagos And Back (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Journey From Port Harcourt To Lagos With Google Maps As My Companion by magicfingers009: 11:09pm On Sep 02, 2017
I wish I had taken pictures on this journey, but it was my first time traveling such a long distance (about 626KM) and I wasn't familiar with the route, so I could not afford to lose concentration at any point. The farthest I had travelled was from Port Harcourt to Ikot Ekpene and back. So this was big.

Vehicle: Honda Accord 2007 (iVtec)

Companion: Google Maps on a Samsung Galaxy A5 Phone

The Day before the Journey (Monday)
I took my car for general servicing, changed the engine oil (Toyota Synthetic 5w-20) and oil filter. Bought the oil from a nairalander. Checked the brakes. Then took the car for wheel balancing and alignment. By the time I was done, it was already past 7pm.
Later in the evening, went to withdraw some cash and filled up my tank (the cost was around N8,300) and bought some naija mix tapes to keep me company.

The D- Day (Tuesday)
I did the routine checks on the car around 5:30am. I was set to leave at 6am. However, I had to look for a vulcanizer to gauge my tyres. One of the cons of living in PH, business owners seldom come early. I later found one at about 6:30am. Told him to gauge all tyres to 35psi. I didn't trust the tyres and I had plans of purchasing tyres at Ladipo.

I turned on the navigation on Google Map enroute lagos. "You should reach your destination by 2:45pm. You are on the fastest route despite the usual traffic" She said. I wasn't bothered. All that was on my mind was to reach my destination safe and sound.

When I got to choba, the host community to the University of Port Harcourt, I remember that there used to be a very busy market day at Bayelsa. I wasn't sure if it was a Tuesday or Wednesday. I hoped it was a wednesday. Saw a lot of commuters flagging me because I was the only one in the car. Inasmuch as I wanted company, I have heard a lot of stories and cannot afford to be unwise.
"The Lord be with you all" I said in my mind.

Mbiama
I got to Mbiama, the boundary village between Ahoada and Bayelsa and met the dreaded traffic. I saw some convoys pass, so my hopes were high that the road would be cleared and we would leave in good time. I was wrong. The new mixtape I bought the previous day played from Track 1 to Track 32 more than 5 times and I had not moved an inch from where i did my first mark time. There was no network on my phone, so I had to recline my seat and enjoy the music.
After 2 and a half hours, we were able to get pass the village.

My maximum speed was pegged at 120Km/H because I wasn't familiar with that road and we had to join One-way at some point on the East West Road. The road was very smooth with few vehicles on the road.

I drove pass Patani and Ughelli and admired the adventure of seeing new cities, while my eyes were always checking Google Maps ensuring it was still online. Though the usual "Head Straight for 150KM" voice from the lady inside Google maps made me rest assured that I hadn't gone off-track.

Warri
The tricky part of the journey. Though my neighbor had explained how I would navigate the city with some landmarks, but it seems as though those landmarks disappeared when I got there.
Again, I heard the Google Map lady's voice "Take the first exit at the roundabout" I was almost confused. If she had said turn right, it would have been easier. I trusted my instincts and turned right, waiting for her to reprimand me. Then I heard "Head north for 800M". Phew, it was a sign of relief. I later learnt what she meant about exiting the roundabouts.

Sapele
One heavy rain began to fall and the road was heavily flooded. I couldn't see far so I had to put on my caution light so cars behind would be on alert and reduced my speed to about 40Km/H.
The rain lasted for over 30 minutes and I began to question why I had to do a road trip instead of the usual flight down to Lagos. By the time I got to Benin By Pass, the rain had stopped.

Benin ByPass.
Immediately I got on the bridge, the engine check light came on. WHAT! What kinda devil wants to ruin my journey. My car started jerking when i try to accelerate beyond 100km/h. So i had to stay at 100Km/h. I was getting worried as I stopped enjoying the music blasting from the speakers.
I noticed some guy on the road, flagging me, trying to bring to my attention that something was wrong with my car in front. I ignored. Less than 20 seconds later, another guy was flagging me to point to the same side of my car. I was tempted to pull over especially when the engine check light came on and I wasn't enjoying the car's performance.
Apparently, the driver behind me noticed I wanted to pull over. He quickly overtook me and waved that I should not stop but keep coming.
Immediately, it dawned on me. I remember what my neighbor told me that some criminals would flag you down giving you signs that you have a flat or something. Only for them to rob you afterwards.

Phew, thank God.

All these while, I hadn't taken any break.

Okada
When i got to okada, i decided to park at the junction. It looked very safe. Moreover, I did my youth service in Edo state and Okada was where our NYSC camp was.
After I pulled over, I called bae. Her heart was in her mouth all through. She was excited to hear my voice. I didn't tell her about the error code, because I knew she would have panicked. Then I brought out my bluetooth Car Scanner I bought from a nairalander here. Plugged it, connected it to my Phone and scanned for the error. It brought out an error code "P2647 - Left rocket Arm actuator.." bla bla bla. I didn't have the luxury of time to read about the error. I just flashed the error code away; looked for a coded place to take a pee because I was really pressed and zoomed off.. I began to head for Ore. Till date that error hasn't resurfaced.

Ore
Got to Ore at some minutes before 12. I decided to take a 20 minute break. Got out of the car and my right leg felt partially paralyzed. I started seeing all the "God is Good", "PMT", "Young Shall Grow" drivers as superheroes. Is this what they pass through every other day?
I walked up to one driver and asked him for the NNPC mega station at Ore. He pointed across. I left to buy some oranges for Mama and took another 20 minutes nap in the car.
As I was about to proceed, I changed the CD to Flavour's album "Thankful". In my opinion, best ever travel companion. By the way, I don't understand Igbo but I learnt the lyrics and sang along.

I bumped my head and sang along throughout my journey as other drivers smiled at the way I was dancing and driving. The guy music too sweet.

Bought N3,000 fuel at Ore. Though my tank was barely below half tank by then, but I didn't want stories that touches the heart. I cannot come and be stranded on this journey.
ZOOM.. Heading for Ijebu Ode.

Ijebu Ode
That road is terrible. God will judge some people specially because of that road. I was surprised to see a very gigantic pothole in the middle of a very smooth path of the road. The pothole is large enough to swallow your tyre. After manoeuvring, I saw a peugout who was unfortunate to get it rare leg pulled out as a result of entering that pothole. After seeing that, I reduced my speed to 80Km/H allowing for some overzealous drivers to test their luck or experience with the road. The road got very rough at some point that you would have to keep swerving to avoid major potholes.

Meanwhile, madam Google Map was with me all through and Flavour kept on entertaining me with mad jams.

The road was a bit better when we got to Sagamu. Then the Ibadan Expressway is amazing. Wow! That road is so wide and smooth. Got to Ojota and there i decided to disobey google map. I thought I knew Lagos better than Google Map. I later found out I was a novice.
I got into Lagos at about some minutes after 4pm.

It was an eventful journey.

LEARNING POINTS
1. Never eat too much before embarking on a journey. It is better to snack on biscuits or fruits, something light in Falz's voice. Though I didn't feel hungry maybe cause of the excitement.
2. Always ensure you have enough water inside your windshield washer reservoir. Trust me, you would need to clean your windshield every now and then.
3. Be extremely certain that the vehicle in front of you is aware that you intend to overtake as this is most times the cause of accidents on the highway.
4. Be sure you would be in front of the vehicle you are overtaking before the oncoming vehicle gets close (especially when overtaking on One-Way)
5. Be courteous to police officers on the highway. Being rude would only make them waste your time. Also note that the more the checkpoints, the fewer the robbery incidents on that road.
6. Ensure you have the basic car kits in the case of any emergency.
7. Do not engage in a car race with another car. It could be tempting but it really isn't worth it.
8. Google maps is amazing. Even when you miss a turn, it would help you get back on track! The kinda teacher that does not scream at you for doing the wrong thing, but encourages you to get it right.
9. Never go to or through Bayelsa on a Tuesday. Except you want to buy farm produce. If not, you might dislike the journey.

My next Trip would definitely be with a lot of pictures and maybe a video.

35 Likes 8 Shares

Re: My Journey From Port Harcourt To Lagos With Google Maps As My Companion by xxxtedyxxx(m): 11:20pm On Sep 02, 2017
very informative.
Re: My Journey From Port Harcourt To Lagos With Google Maps As My Companion by hiremyminivan: 11:24pm On Sep 02, 2017
Please don't try to take pictures while driving unless you have stopped

I know someone who got into a pothole not because of taking pictures but from adjusting the phone in the phone holder attached to the dash

your best best is to get a companion to take the pictures or get a software that can take pictures on your behalf at intervals or stop to take any pictures you need to take

looking forward to more stories
Re: My Journey From Port Harcourt To Lagos With Google Maps As My Companion by falzthebadguy: 11:27pm On Sep 02, 2017
nice one!!
Re: My Journey From Port Harcourt To Lagos With Google Maps As My Companion by Nobody: 12:01am On Sep 03, 2017
i really enjoyed this, i think car talk is becoming interesting agin.

1 Like

Re: My Journey From Port Harcourt To Lagos With Google Maps As My Companion by Nobody: 12:38am On Sep 03, 2017
Be courteous to police officers on the highway. Being rude would only make them waste your time.

OP, please when you say I should be courteous to police officers on the highway, do you mean like this?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/5867030_policebribetake0_jpeg6f9562fd9cc82e56ec1a16d558ea85a0

Kindly elucidate ?

Nice thread. Enjoyed it much.
Re: My Journey From Port Harcourt To Lagos With Google Maps As My Companion by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:41am On Sep 03, 2017
with the stories I hear from P.H, I don't see me driving in that direction any time soon sad

Nice one. magicfingers009safe journey on your way back.
Re: My Journey From Port Harcourt To Lagos With Google Maps As My Companion by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:43am On Sep 03, 2017
PaperLace:

OP, please when you say I should be courteous to police officers on the highway, do you mean like this?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/5867030_policebribetake0_jpeg6f9562fd9cc82e56ec1a16d558ea85a0

Kindly elucidate ?

Nice thread. Enjoyed it much.

before I hit the road, I get plenty tithe, and offering.....

Never come before the men in black, with empty hands. wink

4 Likes

Re: My Journey From Port Harcourt To Lagos With Google Maps As My Companion by freshvine(f): 6:58am On Sep 03, 2017
For emphasis, it is Mbiama, not Ubiama.

I can't travel alone on a long distance. I usually go to a loading garage and pick a company going my direction.

3 Likes

Re: My Journey From Port Harcourt To Lagos With Google Maps As My Companion by bravolad(m): 7:39am On Sep 03, 2017
Wow! Glued to this story till I finished it. It's fun driving a long distance.

Kudos bruh.

1 Like

Re: My Journey From Port Harcourt To Lagos With Google Maps As My Companion by magicfingers009: 9:12am On Sep 03, 2017
freshvine:
For emphasis, it is Mbiama, not Ubiama.

I can't travel alone on a long distance. I usually go to a loading garage and pick a company going my direction.
Thank you for the correction and by the way, I have never seen a lady drive on the highway. You must be one of the few ones.

bravolad:
Wow! Glued to this story till I finished it. It's fun driving a long distance.

Kudos bruh.
Thanks bro

2 Likes

Re: My Journey From Port Harcourt To Lagos With Google Maps As My Companion by magicfingers009: 9:17am On Sep 03, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Exactly my strategy. I had 10 notes of N200. Once the officers stop me and ask for "pure water", I dash them and the seemed quite grateful.

GAZZUZZ:
with the stories I hear from P.H, I don't see me driving in that direction any time soon sad

Oga Gazzuzz, I was the one who called you that I came to Lagos with my Car and you advised me on what shocks to buy at Ladipo. I also got very nice Tokunbo Michellin Tyres. They could pass for new. Thanks for your help.

6 Likes

Re: My Journey From Port Harcourt To Lagos With Google Maps As My Companion by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:23am On Sep 03, 2017
magicfingers009:

Exactly my strategy. I had 10 notes of N200. Once the officers stop me and ask for "pure water", I dash them and the seemed quite grateful.

Oga Gazzuzz, I was the one who called you that I came to Lagos with my Car and you advised me on what shocks to buy at Ladipo. I also got very nice Tokunbo Michellin Tyres . They could pass for new. Thanks for your help.

excellent choice sir.

1 Like

Re: My Journey From Port Harcourt To Lagos With Google Maps As My Companion by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:25am On Sep 03, 2017
magicfingers009:

Thank you for the correction and by the way, I have never seen a lady drive on the highway. You must be one of the few ones.

Thanks bro

That F I the profile name is questionable wink
Re: My Journey From Port Harcourt To Lagos With Google Maps As My Companion by whiteboyswag: 9:37am On Sep 03, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Bro PH is a wonderful city just that the media blow a whole lot out of proportion. We gat lots of GOOD people here that would love to meet with you, do make it a date here u'll love it.

2 Likes

Re: My Journey From Port Harcourt To Lagos With Google Maps As My Companion by Kjnwancaro: 11:06am On Sep 03, 2017
magicfingers009:

Exactly my strategy. I had 10 notes of N200 Once the officers stop me and ask for "pure water", I dash them and the seemed quite grateful.

Ogini? Are you Father Christmas? I travel from Ibadan to Abuja without dashing any money. Scope me I scope you

4 Likes

Re: My Journey From Port Harcourt To Lagos With Google Maps As My Companion by seunpinky(m): 11:33am On Sep 03, 2017
@magicfingers009 @gazzuzz PLS can u recommend a good Bluetooth car scanner to b used On a corolla 2003 model (for personal use)
thanks

1 Like

Re: My Journey From Port Harcourt To Lagos With Google Maps As My Companion by seunpinky(m): 11:36am On Sep 03, 2017
Re: My Journey From Port Harcourt To Lagos With Google Maps As My Companion by Nobody: 11:51am On Sep 03, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Very important @ tithe and offerings. Their ministry needs to keep moving.

GAZZUZZ:

Hehehe. Very questionable finally.
Re: My Journey From Port Harcourt To Lagos With Google Maps As My Companion by freshvine(f): 12:31pm On Sep 03, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Lol. One cannot be a female in peace again?

1 Like

Re: My Journey From Port Harcourt To Lagos With Google Maps As My Companion by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:40pm On Sep 03, 2017
Re: My Journey From Port Harcourt To Lagos With Google Maps As My Companion by diportivo: 1:10pm On Sep 03, 2017

I took my car for general servicing, changed the engine oil (Toyota Synthetic 5w-20) and oil filter. Bought the oil from a nairalander

1 Like

Re: My Journey From Port Harcourt To Lagos With Google Maps As My Companion by thebigkendo(m): 1:53pm On Sep 03, 2017
diportivo:

I took my car for general servicing, changed the engine oil (Toyota Synthetic 5w-20) and oil filter. Bought the oil from a nairalander

Are you thinking what i am thinking? Port Harcourt Oil seller ; Hautotrader2 aka Hawiriwa aka Toyota Oil is at par with Mobil-1 in the performance
Re: My Journey From Port Harcourt To Lagos With Google Maps As My Companion by diportivo: 1:58pm On Sep 03, 2017
thebigkendo:

Are you thinking what i am thinking? Port Harcourt Oil seller ; Hautotrader2 aka Hawiriwa aka Toyota Oil is at par with Mobil-1 in the performance

you don enta thr cruise too grin

men....the thinking na d same
Re: My Journey From Port Harcourt To Lagos With Google Maps As My Companion by timifakay(m): 2:01pm On Sep 03, 2017
magicfingers009:
I wish I had taken pictures on this journey, but it was my first time traveling such a long distance (about 626KM) and I wasn't familiar with the route, so I could not afford to lose concentration at any point. The farthest I had travelled was from Port Harcourt to Ikot Ekpene and back. So this was big.

When I got to choba, the host community to the University of Port Harcourt, I remember that there used to be a very busy market day at Bayelsa. I wasn't sure if it was a Tuesday or Wednesday. I hoped it was a wednesday. Saw a lot of commuters flagging me because I was the only one in the car. Inasmuch as I wanted company, I have heard a lot of stories and cannot afford to be unwise.
"The Lord be with you all" I said in my mind.

Mbiama
I got to Mbiama, the boundary village between Ahoada and Bayelsa and met the dreaded traffic. I saw some convoys pass, so my hopes were high that the road would be cleared and we would leave in good time. I was wrong. The new mixtape I bought the previous day played from Track 1 to Track 32 more than 5 times and I had not moved an inch from where i did my first mark time. There was no network on my phone, so I had to recline my seat and enjoy the music.
After 2 and a half hours, we were able to get pass the village.

Nice narrative...
When I saw Tuesday and Choba I started to pity you...
How much banana and groundnuts did you eat in that traffic?

4 Likes

Re: My Journey From Port Harcourt To Lagos With Google Maps As My Companion by magicfingers009: 7:44pm On Sep 03, 2017
timifakay:

Nice narrative...
When I saw Tuesday and Choba I started to pity you...
How much banana and groundnuts did you eat in that traffic?
Ha-ha. I also pitied myself. I couldn't go back, I couldn't​go forward. I just dey look the River the analyse wetin no concern me

3 Likes

Re: My Journey From Port Harcourt To Lagos With Google Maps As My Companion by magicfingers009: 7:47pm On Sep 03, 2017
seunpinky:
@magicfingers009 @gazzuzz PLS can u recommend a good Bluetooth car scanner to b used On a corolla 2003 model (for personal use)
thanks
Vieca is what I use. Got it from a guy here. Can't remember his moniker. I'll modify this post as soon as I get his moniker.
Re: My Journey From Port Harcourt To Lagos With Google Maps As My Companion by seunpinky(m): 9:35pm On Sep 03, 2017
magicfingers009:

Vieca is what I use. Got it from a guy here. Can't remember his moniker. I'll modify this post as soon as I get his moniker.
OK thanks, would b awaiting d edited post
Re: My Journey From Port Harcourt To Lagos With Google Maps As My Companion by captainking(m): 12:01am On Sep 04, 2017
seunpinky:
thanks
u can use viecar.. Or... Elm.. Pics to follow.. They both work great.. That's what I use.. Need one??

Re: My Journey From Port Harcourt To Lagos With Google Maps As My Companion by magicfingers009: 10:01am On Sep 04, 2017
captainking:
u can use viecar.. Or... Elm.. Pics to follow.. They both work great.. That's what I use.. Need one??
Yes. This is what I use. I got the same one for my neighbor.

1 Like

Re: My Journey From Port Harcourt To Lagos With Google Maps As My Companion by DisGuy: 1:43pm On Sep 04, 2017
Again, I heard the Google Map lady's voice "Take the first exit at the roundabout" I was almost confused. If she had said turn right, it would have been easie

how did u get a license cheesy

Nice narrative
Re: My Journey From Port Harcourt To Lagos With Google Maps As My Companion by obekediamondfuto(m): 8:04pm On Sep 04, 2017
nice write-up man, ph is not smiling for the gullible oh, Dem don collect me for hold up there before. seriously I had to negotiate for thm to forgo my phone. Google maps have proven to be the best, although if u really want to see their flaws try travelling from imane I'm kogi state to anywhere in the west or south, sometimes u will find that the suggested road on Google map either hasn't been in use for like a century or it has been closed. they need to update it or something. mehn na xo I take find myself almost entering bush @ 10pm one fateful Sunday...... wasn't funny @ all. thankfully as people deserted the road, robbers also did the same

what I do now..... when plying a new route, I just join a convoy of Toyota hiace buses while using my map as confirmation, so if I see two roads ahead I tactfully check maps and confirm which route driver is taking. before u enter warri instead of bayelsa

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Do Not Post Sales Or Adverts In Car Talk Section / I Need An Advice On Rx 330,ford Edge And Mdx / Which One Is Better For Uber

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.