Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:29 AM

How Honey Hunters Risk Their Lives To Get Honey From The Himalayas(Photos) - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How Honey Hunters Risk Their Lives To Get Honey From The Himalayas(Photos) (5925 Views)

This Is How Honey Looks Like Before It Is Processed (Pictures/Video) / Can You Eat Any Of These Bush Meat Caught By These Hunters / Animals Killed By Hunters In My Village, Nkpa In Abia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Honey Hunters Risk Their Lives To Get Honey From The Himalayas(Photos) by Explorers(m): 11:01am On Sep 04, 2017
An award-winning UK based travel photographer, captured gripping photographs of central Nepalese tribe members engaged in a dangerous and ancient tradition honey hunting.

For most of us, a pot of golden honey is only a supermarket away.

But for these people of Nepal, gathering the sweet stuff involves a death-defying climb on home-made ladders and a four hour mission to extract the precious nectar.

To make matters worse, the daredevil hunters come under attack from swarms of the world's largest bee while perching 250ft up the side of a cliff.

Twice a year, the honey hunters ascend to the base of cliffs in central Nepal and ascend them to collect honey.

They use the same tools that their ancestors did hand woven rope ladders and tangos, the long sharp bamboo poles that they use to cut the honey filled hives off of the face of the cliff and drop them into baskets waiting below.

After lighting smoke fires at the base of the cliff to smoke out the bees, they climb their ladders and collect their honey.

http://www.boredpanda.com/honey-hunters-nepal-andrew-newey/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2584541/Sticky-situation-The-amazing-honey-hunters-risk-lives-foothills-Himalayas-collect-honey-hives-worlds-largest-honeybees.html

Lalasticlala, Mynd44

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How Honey Hunters Risk Their Lives To Get Honey From The Himalayas(Photos) by shurley22(f): 11:02am On Sep 04, 2017
Wow
My God!! shocked shocked
Re: How Honey Hunters Risk Their Lives To Get Honey From The Himalayas(Photos) by Explorers(m): 11:04am On Sep 04, 2017
First the group collects foliage to make huge fires to smoke out the honeybees from their hives.

Once the bees are driven off and sedated, the dozen or so hunters begin to harvest the outsides of the hives.

The Nepalese tribes say the most difficult job isthe 'cutter' the beige suit-wearing men who climb up a 50-meter rope ladder that’s been secured at the top and bottom of the cliff.

They then uses two bamboo sticks, known as tangos, to gather the honey.

With one he slices at the exposed honeycomb while using he uses the other to catch the falling honeycomb.

Honey hunting is among the oldest known human activities.

There is an 8,000-year-old cave painting in Spain that portrays aman climbing vines to collect honey.

The honey hunters use sharpened bamboo poles toslice through the honeycomb before dropping it to the ground for others to collect

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Honey Hunters Risk Their Lives To Get Honey From The Himalayas(Photos) by Nobody: 11:05am On Sep 04, 2017
Looks hot....I lost my glasses

1 Like

Re: How Honey Hunters Risk Their Lives To Get Honey From The Himalayas(Photos) by Explorers(m): 11:06am On Sep 04, 2017
The hunyers carry their equipment to the cliff where they will forage for honeycomb

2 Likes

Re: How Honey Hunters Risk Their Lives To Get Honey From The Himalayas(Photos) by doctimonyeka(m): 11:09am On Sep 04, 2017
Risky venture... Not gonna stake my life for any honey..
Re: How Honey Hunters Risk Their Lives To Get Honey From The Himalayas(Photos) by Explorers(m): 11:15am On Sep 04, 2017
Most of the nests are located on steep inaccessible, south-west facing cliffs to avoid predators and for increased exposure to direct sunlight.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Honey Hunters Risk Their Lives To Get Honey From The Himalayas(Photos) by Explorers(m): 11:18am On Sep 04, 2017
Besides the danger of falling, they also happen to be harvesting the honey of the largest honeybee in the world.

The Himalayan honey bee can grow to be up to 3 cm (1.2 in) in length.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Honey Hunters Risk Their Lives To Get Honey From The Himalayas(Photos) by iamchybs(m): 11:22am On Sep 04, 2017
how come they don't get stung by those bees.

Head, hands and feets exposed.

Seems they have antibee repeller or something... Lol

1 Like

Re: How Honey Hunters Risk Their Lives To Get Honey From The Himalayas(Photos) by Explorers(m): 11:33am On Sep 04, 2017
More

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Honey Hunters Risk Their Lives To Get Honey From The Himalayas(Photos) by mauricerex: 11:38am On Sep 04, 2017
Me climb this high for honey? I dey craze grin carry on o jare
Re: How Honey Hunters Risk Their Lives To Get Honey From The Himalayas(Photos) by joinnow: 11:53am On Sep 04, 2017
All this risk just for Honey.
Why not start Apiculture at home
Re: How Honey Hunters Risk Their Lives To Get Honey From The Himalayas(Photos) by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 11:56am On Sep 04, 2017
Very impressive physical feat but I'd be remiss if I did not say this: after decades, maybe centuries of doing this, why have they not radically improved on what is essentially an agricultural process ? That is the difference between dark and white skinned races.

3 Likes

Re: How Honey Hunters Risk Their Lives To Get Honey From The Himalayas(Photos) by Karleb(m): 11:57am On Sep 04, 2017
I want to believe Explorers is not limiting himself to NL alone. 'cause some researchers don't even do half of what he's doing and making serious money.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Honey Hunters Risk Their Lives To Get Honey From The Himalayas(Photos) by DrMeroThaEmperor(m): 12:59pm On Sep 04, 2017
...aaaaah...gugu gaga!

7 Likes

Re: How Honey Hunters Risk Their Lives To Get Honey From The Himalayas(Photos) by Nobody: 1:15pm On Sep 04, 2017
Omoh this people get mind oh. See suicide mission.
Re: How Honey Hunters Risk Their Lives To Get Honey From The Himalayas(Photos) by silkytouch(m): 1:19pm On Sep 04, 2017
The lenght we can go to put food on our table, imagine the risks, such heights and a face off with multitude of bees. Goes to show that anything can be achieved with willingness and dedication.

On a lighter note, the pics of those honey combs really lit up my appetite, I just de swallow saliva anyhow.

4 Likes

Re: How Honey Hunters Risk Their Lives To Get Honey From The Himalayas(Photos) by ihustler(m): 1:21pm On Sep 04, 2017
I saw this in the remake of 'The Jungle Book'

1 Like

Re: How Honey Hunters Risk Their Lives To Get Honey From The Himalayas(Photos) by loverofgoodtins(m): 1:34pm On Sep 04, 2017
Wow!!!!

1 Like

Re: How Honey Hunters Risk Their Lives To Get Honey From The Himalayas(Photos) by 1miccza: 2:07pm On Sep 04, 2017
Karleb:
I want to believe Explorers is not limiting himself to NL alone. 'cause some researchers don't even do half of what he's doing and making serious money.

Honestly you're spot on here bro. Explorers over to you

3 Likes

Re: How Honey Hunters Risk Their Lives To Get Honey From The Himalayas(Photos) by siegfried99(m): 3:41pm On Sep 04, 2017
Wow!!!!
Re: How Honey Hunters Risk Their Lives To Get Honey From The Himalayas(Photos) by oz4real83(m): 3:46pm On Sep 04, 2017
Explorer you are one of the very few people still keeping me on nairaland. We need more of your work on front page. We have too many nonsense on front page nowadays and the earlier the mods realised this the better.

8 Likes

Re: How Honey Hunters Risk Their Lives To Get Honey From The Himalayas(Photos) by Nobody: 3:47pm On Sep 04, 2017
Holy moses..

shocked chai
Re: How Honey Hunters Risk Their Lives To Get Honey From The Himalayas(Photos) by Nobody: 4:23pm On Sep 04, 2017
explorer giving us something new cool again!!! Keep up the good work
Re: How Honey Hunters Risk Their Lives To Get Honey From The Himalayas(Photos) by Rockyrascal(m): 4:28pm On Sep 04, 2017
Explorers I hail thee.
Re: How Honey Hunters Risk Their Lives To Get Honey From The Himalayas(Photos) by eddyline(m): 6:28pm On Sep 04, 2017
all this stress for honey? wow
Re: How Honey Hunters Risk Their Lives To Get Honey From The Himalayas(Photos) by roqrules04(m): 7:38pm On Sep 04, 2017
Nothing good comes easy
Re: How Honey Hunters Risk Their Lives To Get Honey From The Himalayas(Photos) by soberdrunk(m): 7:58pm On Sep 04, 2017
Wow!
Re: How Honey Hunters Risk Their Lives To Get Honey From The Himalayas(Photos) by AuroraB(f): 8:12pm On Sep 04, 2017
Maka honey, okwaya undecided
Darling, don't worry, we can do without it angry
See daring heights shocked shocked shocked
Re: How Honey Hunters Risk Their Lives To Get Honey From The Himalayas(Photos) by eyeon(m): 9:07pm On Sep 04, 2017
I'll show these to my babe.
So that whenever I called her "honey"; she'd appreciate me with loads of kisses.
Cos with all these daring escapes, that name "honey" shouldn't be called for free.

3 Likes

Re: How Honey Hunters Risk Their Lives To Get Honey From The Himalayas(Photos) by McGg: 9:34pm On Sep 04, 2017
Mr Explorer how do you do it. I mean these researches pls pm me
Re: How Honey Hunters Risk Their Lives To Get Honey From The Himalayas(Photos) by k199192: 9:49pm On Sep 04, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:
Very impressive physical feat but I'd be remiss if I did not say this: after decades, maybe centuries of doing this, why have they not radically improved on what is essentially an agricultural process ? That is the difference between dark and white skinned races.

I did not know the people of Nepal are a dark skinned race. Where exactly in Africa are they?

4 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Buttermilk Pancake Recipe / 5 Best Trending Air Fryers For Your Home - Features And Price / Hips, Buttocks & Breast Enlargement Oil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.