Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,019 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:12 PM

10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing (24788 Views)

52 Transition Words And Phrases To Keep Your Writing Whole And Well Knit. / 5 Books To Sharpen Your Writing Skill In 2020 / Earn Extra With Your Writing Skills On Social Media. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by Nobody: 7:47am On Sep 06, 2017
Emmykego:
Nigeria is envied in the community of nations.

OP you lie for this one

1 Like

Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by Arebay(m): 7:49am On Sep 06, 2017
Am only guilty of "poke nose" the rest, I know .
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by pahzz(m): 7:49am On Sep 06, 2017
AlanSugar:
Op, be very careful! I stopped reading @ indigene.
Indigene is an English word, but according to the Op, it's the context in which you use it that makes it wrong.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by pahzz(m): 7:54am On Sep 06, 2017
AlanSugar:
Op, be very careful! I stopped reading @ indigene.
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by Youngsage: 7:57am On Sep 06, 2017
Only1mi:
I'm not sure about this write up on, to begin with its plump not plumb.
thank you o

i thought i was the only one that noticed the whole crap load from the ignorantly confident op who was apparently in so much error.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by greatjoey: 8:01am On Sep 06, 2017
Op, as much as I must appreciate you for this piece, be it known that, the first word 'plumb' as used ain't the right word. It ought to be 'plump' instead. A plumb is a plummet. Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by cdoffx(m): 8:02am On Sep 06, 2017
Funny how people come to NL and display different level of unverified knowledge.
@OP, its plump and not plumb. Secondly indigene is a kind of synonym to native and can actually be used to describe something or someone that is local to a place be it village, town or state.

5 Likes

Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by Only1mi(f): 8:05am On Sep 06, 2017
Youngsage:

thank you o

i thought i was the only one that noticed the whole crap load from the ignorantly confident op who was apparently in so much error.

I tire. Speck and log. Op park well

2 Likes

Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by Iolo(m): 8:07am On Sep 06, 2017
And why can't we take these as our way of speaking Nigerian English instead of trying to be like the British all the time.

Americans have American English with certain words and phrases the British would not use.

Why should ours be different ?

1 Like

Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by MysticVibe(f): 8:19am On Sep 06, 2017
This goes to show that not everyone should write about English. It's more technical than you think. For instance "citizen" can refer to state as well as country. And yes, there is such a word as "indigene". I'll even overlook the numerous typos and grammatical inconsistencies in this write-up.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by otiokponaetiani(f): 8:24am On Sep 06, 2017
eleojo23:
I only learnt one new phrase from your writeup "Economic kungfu" grin
lolz na so
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by Nobody: 8:26am On Sep 06, 2017
very educative
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by otusnora(f): 8:32am On Sep 06, 2017
OP, its plump n not plumb.

1 Like

Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by dejavuh0007(m): 8:34am On Sep 06, 2017
Op it is plump not plumb.
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by tgmservice: 8:38am On Sep 06, 2017
Emmykego:

There is nothing as embarrassing as being ignorantly confident in error. You may have, on one or two instances, be posing off with some words/phrases, not knowing you’re deep in the pool of mistake; they’re non-existing phrases.

There could make you fell terribly bad after crafting out a ‘beautiful’ post around an idea.

Embarrassing? Jaw-dropping ? You do the job. Use whatever words suits you, my dear. You’re at liberty!

After observing conversations and reading through piles of texts, I found out that you, like many others, could have used these wrong, rather non-existing phrases:

Plumby:
Chances are that you’ve used this word to paint your friend who has some lump of flesh attached to his frame. Maybe I would forgive you because it is “Nigerian English.”

There is no need adding “y” to plumb when referring to that friend who has some fleshy meat glued to his bony structure.

Wrong: George’s girlfriend’s not plumby.

Right: George’s girlfriend’s not chubby/plumb.

Complimentary Card
“I’ll send give him my complimentary card“. That’s a wrong way to tell someone you’ll give him your BUSINESS CARD.

If you use complimentary, it means that you’re giving out a free copy of your product.

That informs why you have “COMPLIMENTARY COPY,” used as a promotional device by intellectual property owners.

Wrong: I gave Uche my complimentary card.

Right: I gave Uche my business card.

Delta citizen/indigenes
This one has been popularised by the media but some principalities in high places say that “indigene” is not an English word.

I was wondering, when I read “Delta citizens” in the news the other time, if my state had finally gotten independence and became a country.

Never say: “Delta citizens” since Delta is not a country or Delta indigenes.

Wrong: Delta state indigenes/citizens have been largely peaceful amidst the economic Kung Fu.

Right: Delta state natives have been largely peaceful amidst the economic Kung Fu.

4: Poke Nose

I know you used to tell your neighbour not to poke nose into your affairs again. But unku, it’s actually poke your nose into your affairs.

Wrong: Stop poke nosing into my affairs, biko!

Right: Don’t poke your nose into my affairs, e jor!

Luxurious Bus
Trust me, I heard and used this confidently while growing up until the scales fell off my eyes.

Nigerians use it to describe a large bus which can take in more persons than the normal bus.

Wrong: I took a luxurious Bus to Ikeja on Saturday.

Right: I took a luxury bus to Ikeja today.

Comity of Nation
If you’re a politically inclined person, you know that this is used in reference to the gathering of nations.

However, that is a wrong judgement of the phrase. Comity of nation is the respect countries have for one another.

Wrong: Nigeria is envied in the comity of nations.

Right: Nigeria is envied in the community of nations.

Barbing Salon.
No much talk on this as there is no word as “barbing” in that context.

Wrong: I went to the barbing salon.

Right: I went to the hair salon.

Screen touch
In this digital age, you may have been guilty of using it to describe a mobile device that responds to touch.

However, that’s wrong. See how to use it:

Wrong: My phone is a screen touch.

Right: My phone is touch screen.

PS: Some dictionaries cum authorities in the language disagree with some of these ‘non-existing phrases. However, you could make do of them in ‘non-standard’ usage.

http://theflowingink.com/10-embarrassingly-non-existing-phrases-hurting-writing/
then why is it when i google complimentary card, business card also return in the search.

Even wikipedia use complimentary card interchangeable with business cards
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by EFGH: 8:42am On Sep 06, 2017
Wow! I just learned something new now. Tnx OP.
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by Raphaelmary(m): 8:44am On Sep 06, 2017
Emmykego:

I know you used to tell your neighbour not to poke nose into your affairs again. But unku, it’s actually poke your nose into your affairs.

Right: Don’t poke your nose into my affairs, e jor!/

From the look of things, OP must be an afonja..... why en be sey na d igbo guy go dey wrong? undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by banio: 8:56am On Sep 06, 2017
In 9ja we have made some right like "poke nose". Oyinbo can't feed us forever, even in what we say. Talk na free. Their Father !
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by victorioushands: 9:02am On Sep 06, 2017
Emmykego:

There is nothing as embarrassing as being ignorantly confident in error. You may have, on one or two instances, be posing off with some words/phrases, not knowing you’re deep in the pool of mistake; they’re non-existing phrases.

There could make you fell terribly bad after crafting out a ‘beautiful’ post around an idea.

For one trying to correct others on English, isn't it an irony that one finds unacceptable grammatical placements - even in your first paragraph? I couldn't read much of it. Check those marked with color.

Indeed, there is nothing as embarrassing as being ignorantly confident in error.
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by Thonee(m): 9:05am On Sep 06, 2017
Learning never stops. Henceforth, I'll be on point with the use of those grammar. Thanks.
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by Kaycee7(m): 9:19am On Sep 06, 2017
Op, It's plump not plumb .
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by LexngtonSteele: 9:24am On Sep 06, 2017
Raphaelmary:

From the look of things, OP must be an afonja..... why en be sey na d igbo guy go dey wrong? undecided undecided undecided undecided

OP is an Igbo illiterate like you grin

1 Like

Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by internationalman(m): 9:24am On Sep 06, 2017
barbiesparkz2:

Indigene is an English word.
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/indigene
Let him keep on misleading people...
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by ovieokodhi(m): 9:24am On Sep 06, 2017
Florblu:
Thank you.

Looking for who will make misuse those words
I can't wait to flaunt my newly learnt English
wrong it mruse not misuse .
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by bigt2(m): 9:27am On Sep 06, 2017
MysticVibe:
This goes to show that not everyone should write about English. It's more technical than you think. For instance "citizen" can refer to state as well as country. And yes, there is such a word as "indigene". I'll even overlook the numerous typos and grammatical inconsistencies in this write-up.
Thank you my dear.
The only phrase that captured my attention was "Economic Kung-fu". Other arguments are taken with no pinch of salt at all, rendered functus officio and hence, I demand the op to start alb initio! angry
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by likita27: 9:39am On Sep 06, 2017
[Op, the word Plumpy exists, I don't know where you got the word "plumby," it doesn't exist, and Plumpy means fat and sleek.
Complimentary card � can be used rather than a business card, I live and work in the England, the English people "gangan", I have been asked not once or twice to give out my complimentary card, so that can be used as well. Cheers quote author=Emmykego post=60127276]

Embarrassing? Jaw-dropping ? You do the job. Use whatever words suits you, my dear. You’re at liberty!

After observing conversations and reading through piles of texts, I found out that you, like many others, could have used these wrong, rather non-existing phrases:

Plumby:
Chances are that you’ve used this word to paint your friend who has some lump of flesh attached to his frame. Maybe I would forgive you because it is “Nigerian English.”

There is no need adding “y” to plumb when referring to that friend who has some fleshy meat glued to his bony structure.

Wrong: George’s girlfriend’s not plumby.

Right: George’s girlfriend’s not chubby/plumb.

Complimentary Card
“I’ll send give him my complimentary card“. That’s a wrong way to tell someone you’ll give him your BUSINESS CARD.

If you use complimentary, it means that you’re giving out a free copy of your product.

That informs why you have “COMPLIMENTARY COPY,” used as a promotional device by intellectual property owners.

Wrong: I gave Uche my complimentary card.

Right: I gave Uche my business card.

Delta citizen/indigenes
This one has been popularised by the media but some principalities in high places say that “indigene” is not an English word.

I was wondering, when I read “Delta citizens” in the news the other time, if my state had finally gotten independence and became a country.

Never say: “Delta citizens” since Delta is not a country or Delta indigenes.

Wrong: Delta state indigenes/citizens have been largely peaceful amidst the economic Kung Fu.

Right: Delta state natives have been largely peaceful amidst the economic Kung Fu.

Right: Don’t poke your nose into my affairs, e jor!

Luxurious Bus
Trust me, I heard and used this confidently while growing up until the scales fell off my eyes.

Nigerians use it to describe a large bus which can take in more persons than the normal bus.

Wrong: I took a luxurious Bus to Ikeja on Saturday.

Right: I took a luxury bus to Ikeja today.

Comity of Nation
If you’re a politically inclined person, you know that this is used in reference to the gathering of nations.

However, that is a wrong judgement of the phrase. Comity of nation is the respect countries have for one another.

Wrong: Nigeria is envied in the comity of nations.

Right: Nigeria is envied in the community of nations.

Barbing Salon.
No much talk on this as there is no word as “barbing” in that context.

Wrong: I went to the barbing salon.

Right: I went to the hair salon.

Screen touch
In this digital age, you may have been guilty of using it to describe a mobile device that responds to touch.

However, that’s wrong. See how to use it:

Wrong: My phone is a screen touch.

Right: My phone is touch screen.

PS: Some dictionaries cum authorities in the language disagree with some of these ‘non-existing phrases. However, you could make do of them in ‘non-standard’ usage.

http://theflowingink.com/10-embarrassingly-non-existing-phrases-hurting-writing/[/quote]
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by Emeskhalifa(m): 9:42am On Sep 06, 2017
Op berra come back here oooo
Comman see dis

Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by Anyigod234(m): 10:15am On Sep 06, 2017
Plumpy not plumby
Plumpy is correct
Don't copy and paste
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by Florblu(f): 10:18am On Sep 06, 2017
[quote author=ovieokodhi post=60181247]wrong it mruse not misuse .[/quote

Brighter Grammar fall on you
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by newslifeop: 10:30am On Sep 06, 2017
Oh
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by chikkay200: 10:45am On Sep 06, 2017
This is actually quite embarrassing since u’re the one giving the lessons but, the word “Plumb” is not used in relation to fat people as u suggested. It is used by builders to verify the vertical or horizontal alignment of something. The word used in relation to a fat person is “Plump”. The word “Plumpy” does exist and it's an adjective used to describe a fat person.
Thanks for your post though at least now most folks know the difference

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ola Rotimi: Google Celebrates Nigerian Playwrighter With A Doodle / Obsessed (18+) / Chimamanda Adichie Was A Guest Speaker At Yale Law School 2022 Commencement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.