Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,882 members, 7,810,383 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:05 AM

Open Letter To The Nans President - Comr Aruna Kadiri - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Open Letter To The Nans President - Comr Aruna Kadiri (598 Views)

Bamidele Impeached As NANS President Over $200K Embezzlement Scandal / Nans President:we Are Ready To Shut Down Federal Roads / ASUU: We Have Had A Enough Of Toying With The Future Of Students -aruna Kadiri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Open Letter To The Nans President - Comr Aruna Kadiri by Ericmillion(m): 7:25pm On Sep 04, 2017
OPEN LETTER TO COMR. ARUNA KADIRI

By Sunny IBEH Jr.

Dear Mr. President of NANS,

I have decided to write you, not just as a patriotic citizen of Nigeria, but also as a concerned member of the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS), after several exhaustive consumption of equanimity, with regards to your administration.

In the last one year, our noble organization (NANS), has been plagued with plethora of 'setbacks' under your stewardship. Ranging from compromises, spurred by financial inducement , lack of political will and capacity, gross nonchalance and misconducts, administrative ineptitude, just to mention but a few.

Sir, permit me start with the Ambrose Ali University Tuition fee Agitation. I'm not oblivious of the fact that you took some innocent youths and students a few months ago, to the above mentioned institution for what you termed, "operation Return Tuition Fee to Statusquo".

I can still recall vividly that some of the students you took to the so called protest , were teargassed, shot, and humiliated by men of the Nigerian Police Force, brought by the school management. I was however elated when you vowed that you must fight till the end - as regards the entire agitation, to make sure the exorbitant hike in tuition fee was reversed. But my elation however became ephemeral when you went behind these marginalized students some months later to collect the sum One million Naira from the school management in exchange of the entire agitation, leaving the students in question in the perils of paying the newly imposed exorbitant fees, with the reparation that followed thereafter.

A couple of days ago sir, you were questioned about the token, and you were bold enough to publicly say that you shared it amongst some internet fraudsters, popularly known as "yahoo boys." I read your comment with gross dismay and disappointment. Because it didn't only lack leadership bearing, but was totally out of place to have come from a leader of your mien. Such comment would have been better heard or condoned, if it were from an 'agbero' , or a lout, than from the number one student of the largest students' Movement in Africa.

Furthermore, a couple of months back, some human rights activists, namely, Kola Edokpayi and Curtis Ugbo, were unjustly arrested by the erstwhile Edo state Commissioner of Police, Mr. Haliru Gwandu for speaking up for the 'talakawas' , the Edo plebeians, ( masses).

Sir, we had expected you to make a strong public statement that would quicken their release, but none came from your end as the NANS President, notwithstanding the purported relationship you claim to have with Mr. Ibrahim Kpotun Idris, the Inspector General of Police.

In the last few months, you have only made public statements when you're paid to do so. You have never intervened in any crucial issue affecting the country as the NANS president since you assumed office. One would begin to wonder, if it's that you are bereft of the knowledge of your responsibility as the NANS President, or that you're actually tired of the job.

President Muhammadu Buhari just came back last week from London, where he was domiciled for 103 days for medical vacation. Sir, it is sorrowful to note that within the three months and thirteen days Mr. President had spent in the Uk, no official statement came from the stable of NANS - for or against his prolonged medical vacation in the UK. NANS is known to always have a stance, but it hasn’t been so since your assumption in office.
I shook my head in dismay, when I saw your Vice President, National Affairs, Shettima Umar, on the news, with some hired, idle and famished youths, demanding that the President should extend his medical vacation. I didn't bother to ask for the reasons behind such paparazzi of shame. Perhaps the young lad who is also trying to step into the corridor of prominence, was only trying to fill in the nebulous vacuum you have left for him, even when he was doing it in error!

Sir, in the preceding weeks of the month of August, you took some of your men in the phase of looming political cum economic squalor that has bedeviled our dear country, to collect the sum of Five Hundred Thousand Naira from former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar. And when it was questioned by some progressives, you argued that you had only gone to ask the erstwhile Vice President to pick his would-be Vice president from the Comrade Community come 2019. And I ask, when has it become the duty of the NANS President to champion the course of who becomes the Vice President of Nigeria? Or on a second thought, when has it become the duty of a Presidential aspirant to pick his Vice in the Nigeria political tradition, with exception to 1999? With all due respect sir, this is a clear case of 'misplaced priority'.

Moreso, on the 11th of August,2017, NANS, Zone 'A' Division, had its 2017 Convention/Election in Minna, Niger State. The fact that you were conspicuously missing in the convention venue can't be gainsaid!

It may interest you to know that I was at the venue. I mean the Niger State Youth Center, Minna, with a robust armor of hope to seeing you in your coordinating capacity as the President of NANS. But my hope was once again dashed out as I was only welcomed to the venue with your glaring absence. I was there when Comr. Chinonso Obasi, A.K.A, IBB, drove in, in long convoy, with teeming supporters, shouting, " Presido!..Presido!!....Presido!!!". "This is the President of NANS," "God bless the President, " This is our president'', The man wey sabi'', God bless the man with capacity "...and so on! He was immediately ushered in , where he gallantly addressed everyone present. And was equally honored with an award by the Convention Planning Committee(CPC) of the Zone. I was amazed and dumbfounded.

I only saw you next on an online platform, after Comr. Chinonso Obasi, A.K.A, IBB, had declared the winner of the election, where you were misleading some people that the Convention never held, and that you would fix a new date for another Convention. I only laughed! I laughed because the misinformed participants of that group were oblivious of that which transpired in the Youth Center, Minna. Sir, it is actually shameful seeing you fighting to impose a Coordinator on NANS, Zone 'A', when you haven’t been able to conduct an ordinary J.C.C Election in your home state, Edo. Charity they say begins at home!

From all indication sir, you have lost gripe on the political hegemony of NANS, Zone 'A'.

In Zone B, where you come from, your unpopularity is still palpable to both big and small! Just last month, I unintentionally eavesdropped on a conversation of two University of Benin students, where one said, ''I love this new NANS President, he is working''. And the other asked, '' What is his name again? Of which the former retorted, ''Pedro Chibuzo Obi''. There and then, the message became clear.

I can't confidently say your political sway reigns over NANS Zone 'C' as it stands. In fact, from available indices, it would be easier to make postulations on the contrary.

In NANS Zone 'D' , where our leader, Yinka Sadam, the Jagaban of NANS, and the unshakable Oracle of the Sadamic Dynasty has an intimidating political structure, with enormous influence, we can only share the grace in fellowship for you in such argument. Because the truth is too clear to be foiled!

Out of the thirty-six States in Nigeria, FCT inclusive, the only state , I can confidently say you still control , to some extent, is Edo, where you come from. Yes, I will give Edo to you , notwithstanding the fact that your critics amongst the Edo State Comrade Community are far more than those who are still in your camp. Everybody is tired, complaining, yet, you are adamantly not bothered!

The fact that you are currently having some sort of bustles, affray and fracas with more than seventy percent of those who supported, and worked to ensure your emergence in the last National Convention is an incontrovertible one as I write. You have succeeded in puncturing the minds of many in this category. Sir, it is however disheartening to note that your apparent ingratitude to this set persons is coming too early.

Lately, you took some of these persons to the Deputy Governor of Edo State, Hon. Philip Shaibu, just to get them pacified. This was after some had personally confronted you and threatened to withdraw themselves from your Camp - as your initial plan was only to go with just a few persons.

However, meeting the Edo State Deputy Governor wasn't a totally bad idea. But one had expected that on reaching there crucial issues that border on the welfare the Nigerian Students would be discussed and resolved.
This wasn't the case.

Amongst other things, you never deemed it fit to draw the attention of the Comrade Deputy Governor to immortalize our deceased Comrade, Late Moses Osakede, a former NANS President, who lost his life at the fringes of students' Struggle, and whose memorial was to come a few weeks from the day you visited the Deputy Governor. Events like this can only be left for God himself and posterity to judge - because we will all die someday. It's just a matter of time.

University of Benin, the school under whose umbrella you came into power has virtually benefited nothing from your administration thus far, with just a few months to the end of your tenure. Your presence is totally not felt within the ambiance of the school, as even the "real students" of the school do not know that the NANS President is from their school. Not even a legacy to your name has been recorded. In fact, Unionism in UNIBEN was better of when you hadn't emerge as the NANS President. And the welfare of students were better protected and catered for than now. The students were happier, and the atmosphere was more peaceful - with occasional interventions from the NANS Zone B Secretariat. An opinion poll on this would vindicate me.

Generally, your political romance with the Government of the day, and politicians at large, has made NANS look more like a ''business venture'' , than a pressure group, which it is. You currently spend more than eighty percent of your time in the houses and offices of politicians, thereby leaving our campuses bleeding profusely with your conspicuous absence, and by extension, with managerial marginalization, which has left our union(s) in subservient positions for eon now. This to me, is clear abuse of power.

Sir, may I also crave your indulgence that the visible 'indifference' that has bedeviled the NANS Comrade Community as it stands, was only borne out your glaring incompetence in handling the affairs of the once dreaded students based organization in Africa.

Recently, some notable comrades have shifted their tents for obvious reasons. And they are not regretting it. They left when they became tired of your administrative ineptitude and the quagmire you have brought to NANS in the last one year.

However, as a person, I have one major problem with you, and it's that you hate the truth and you see anybody who tells you the truth as an enemy, rather than a friend.
Secondly, you have allowed "pride" to replete the position of "objectivity" in you. You think too much of yourself than the organization you are leading - even when you willingly vied for the position you currently occupy.

Lately, NANS has been fragmented into two major Camps, the " Legality Camp" and the "Capacity Camp", whose popularity is growing rapidly by the day in the NANS "landscape of Acceptance".

While the " Legality " exponents are of the opinion that , he who was duly elected is the right man to take the 'lead', the "Capacity" foot soldiers, on the other hand, had argued that NANS is a “Capacity" based organization. Hence, it can't be led by anyone who lacks capacity, whether duly elected or not.

The third category that has also emerged is what is known as the "Proscription Advocates. This group is made up of those who are calling for the total proscription of NANS. Their argument is anchored on the belief that the organization, under your watch has been bastardized and emasculated of its noble strength and vigor. This group of advocates are also of the argument that the NANS you claim to be leading doesn't represent the 'interest' of students on campuses anymore, but has been hijacked for personal and selfish reasons. The apostles of this view don't want to hear the acronym, NANS, or the name, "Aruna Kadiri" anymore. Their aversion for either of the two speaks volume!

Sir, recently, somebody went far away Ghana, and reinstated NANS, in the Comity of Students' Association's in the Subsaharan African Continent, under the auspices of All Africa Students' Unions (AASU). This single act has restored NANS' back to its prestigious affinity to the apex Students' Organization in Africa.

It's no news that our amiable Comrade, a one time NANS President, Mohammed Dauda, A.K.A Capone, has been ill for some time now. While you have maintained adamant silence in the media space and beyond, some persons took it upon themselves to champion the course for his recuperation and survival.

Again, somebody mobilized down to the Indian High Commission in Abuja, and made sure all documents necessary for his medical trip abroad, including an usual urgent medical visa were made available as at when due. And as I write, our dear Comrade, Capone has been flown abroad for urgent medical attention, with no single role played by you. I wonder what else would be as nefarious as this act of yours. And yet, you expect men of goodwill not acknowledge the visible efforts of the young man behind this feat.

And you also expect people to join you in branding Comrades who are in firm support of the Director whose movie has produced meaningful results as enemies of NANS.

This is sad, to say the least. It has further exposed your incapacitation in handling the affairs of NANS.

In practical Ethics, there are two major things that determine the rightness' or 'goodness' of an "act," amongst other things. The first is the " intention of such action ". The second, is the "end result" of the action itself. No one is talking about how the action was made manifest into reality, but what it intends to achieve, and the results it eventual achieved! Sir, with this logical premises, your guess is as good as mine.

When it all started, I was of the view that you were a Machiavellian, adopting the political principles of the famous Eighteenth century Italian political philosopher, Niccolo Machiavelli, as analyzed in his epochal masterpiece, "The Prince". But subsequent incidents have shown that your style of leadership hasn't been practiced anywhere in the world. You invented it yourself. And it can be best described as "kadirism". Meaning, ''leadership without focus and capacity.''

If we can criticize our Government(s) without Heaven falling, then I see no reason why we can't criticize ourselves within this level of government - thereby telling ourselves some little truths, even if they hurt. We all have conscience. It was Uthman Danfodio, the early Nineteenth Century Fulani warlord, who made a popular postulation, and he said, " the conscience is like an open wound which can only healed by the truth."

Personally, I have chosen to take the path of truth and to stand with the helpless Nigerian students on our various campuses, whose yearnings have been long over due for some practical responses.

I have chosen to stand with the poor Nigeria students on the coarse atmosphere on our campuses. I have chosen to identify with them in their period of pain , hence, I have picked up my pen to tell the world my own part of the story, and to let them know my stance. And even if I stand alone in this, I will stand till the end - so long as I find solace with the truth.

As it stands, your greatest enemies are those surrounding you, signing your praise, telling you, you're doing well when you are obviously on the road that shouldn't be taken. You seems currently more confused than the persona in 'Robert Frost's poem, ''The Road Not Taken''. It will do you a lot of good sir , to stay away from those who are currently hailing you when you should be "booed". Your insistence in listening to them will only spell doom on you. You can take this as a privileged advice or disregard it as a useless one.

Consequently, the x-ray made above is the current state of NANS under your stewardship. I'm sure you're quite aware of all these. But out of my unflinching patriotism and great concern, I wish to once again, for the umpteen time, remind you that your tenure has almost elapsed. And leaving NANS in this inglorious state would only attract the wrath of posterity on you and your sycophantic praise-singers. If not for anything, one day, your sons and daughters, would rise to speak, and they would be asked to keep mute, that their father was one of those who misused an opportunity to checkmate the ills in the Nigerian society.

In conclusion, my ecstasy would know no bounds, if only you would carefully reflect on all the issues raised in the preceding paragraphs of this letter, putting ''sentiments'' and ''pride'' aside. Yes, you can decide to ignore them for reasons best known to you. But don't forget that posterity would someday judge and reward us all for the evil we did , and good we never did! Don't also forget that we would either be remembered by the unborn generation for things we did while we were able to do them, and the ones we couldn't do while we were in position to do them. Hence, it's my belief that someday, if caution is not taken , I will be vindicated by virtue of the content of this letter by our unborn generation, including those from your bloodline.

Finally sir, before I drop my pen, let me remind you that The ASUU STRIKE is here again. The Nigerian students, the agitating academics, and the entire world are all watching and waiting to know your stance. You only have two options, either to' betray them' or to 'defend them'. Whichever one you take, posterity is watching.

Thank You. And Much Regards!

Yours in Struggle,

Comr. SUNNY IBEH JNR.( A Concerned Nigerian Student)

(1) (Reply)

Irresponsibility Of University Portal Support / Let This Young Boy Motivate You! / JAMB Registration Payment Slip Won't Print

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.