Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,091 members, 7,821,771 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:11 PM

ASUU Strike: 5 Ways For Students To Leverage It - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike: 5 Ways For Students To Leverage It (672 Views)

Mentally Challenged Man Helps Students To Solve Their Assignments In Adamawa / Al-hikmah University Lecturer Orders 300 Level Law Students To Kneel Down / ASUU STRIKE: University Of Ibadan Terminates First Semester. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Strike: 5 Ways For Students To Leverage It by Educareful: 7:48pm On Sep 05, 2017
You still don't want to believe that ASUU is on strike? Are you at home hoping the strike would be halted tomorrow? Then, you are probably still in your dreams and you need to wake up from your slumber with alacrity. The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) led by Prof. Biodun Ogunyemi embarked on an indefinite strike on the 13th August 2017 following the failure of the Federal Government to fully implement the 2013 Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) and the 2009 Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) – Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) agreement. If you didn’t know, ASUU strike implies cessation of all academic activities leading to a distortion in universities academic calendar as well as plans for many students. This is the period when crimes are more recorded and social vices are developed. I’m not flabbergasted since they say “an idle hand is the devil’s workshop”. Well, I’m not an advocate of students being idle. As an undergraduate, I took up several jobs during holidays, learned new skills and worked on personal development the university would never teach you and I am happy I did today. My friend, you can do yourself good by leveraging this strike and getting yourself engaged. If you don’t know what to do, here is a list of things you can do to make this strike worthwhile:

1. Learn a skill: learning a new skill is a way of boosting your self-confidence while making cool cash. There are avalanches of skills you can learn ranging from tailoring, hairdressing, programming, catering, to shoe making. If you are interested in learning to program using Python, you could join me at Edx beginners’ Python course. Well, I am about to complete the course, but I can help you pace through the course in no time. Take up a new skill today.

2. Enroll for a professional course: If you are about to graduate and interested in taking a professional course subsequently, you can start preparing now to ace the exams. For those in their first year, sophomore year or above, you would be surprised to know that there are myriads of online courses you could sign up for. You can check up sites like Alison, Edx, Codeacademy among others.

3. Apply for a job, internship, or volunteer: You can harness the strike period to developing competency in your primary field by taking up a job, internship or even volunteer with a Non-Government Organization. Internships have numerous advantages: it allows you to gain experience, develop skills, strengthen your resume, increase your connections and much more. Albeit, some internships are underpaid, but you would gain invaluable experience.

4. Start a business: Recently, there are many businesses you can start with little or no capital. You can start tutoring, marketing, personal training, web design and development, blogging etc. You can freelance on about anything. If you are interested in blogging, you can contact me and I would help you create a blog and teach you how to start making money for free. You can get my contact on the contact us page.

5. Read up your courses: If you think you have enough skills, you are not interested in a professional course or you couldn’t get an internship and you don’t have a penny to start a business, then pick up your books and revise what you have been taught during the semester and probably complete studying the course outline for the semester. The strike would truncate the academic calendar and thus exams are likely to commence few weeks after resumption.
Did you find the article beneficial, then READ more at http://educareful.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike: 5 Ways For Students To Leverage It by Educareful: 7:50pm On Sep 05, 2017
Do you have an addition to the above? Then post it
Re: ASUU Strike: 5 Ways For Students To Leverage It by Educareful: 11:57pm On Sep 06, 2017
Educareful:
Do you have an addition to the above? Then post it
What is the latest on ASUU strike?
Re: ASUU Strike: 5 Ways For Students To Leverage It by Educareful: 8:48pm On Sep 08, 2017
Hope you started internship already
Re: ASUU Strike: 5 Ways For Students To Leverage It by Educareful: 4:46pm On Sep 10, 2017
Check out internship opportunities at www.educareful.com

(1) (Reply)

UNIZIK Post-utme Screening Result 2017/2018 Released / MOUAU 2017/2018 1st Batch Admission List Is Out / Computer Science Vs Nursing Science

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.