Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,627 members, 7,820,216 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:36 AM

A House Or A Car.......which Should I Buy First?? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A House Or A Car.......which Should I Buy First?? (2475 Views)

She Built A House In Lagos Without Informing Her Husband / Should I Remain In The House Or Rent Another Apartment? / Is There Something You Constantly Lose At Your House Or Anywhere? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A House Or A Car.......which Should I Buy First?? by Opeomoope: 4:42pm On Sep 06, 2017
As a married man am totally confused on which should come first. A house or a car...which should i buy first?
Re: A House Or A Car.......which Should I Buy First?? by BlackDBagba: 4:44pm On Sep 06, 2017
Where do you live?

Nigeria - Car
London - House
Biafra- both grin
Re: A House Or A Car.......which Should I Buy First?? by thesicilian: 4:46pm On Sep 06, 2017
Go for a house bro. A house appreciates in value, plus it saves you a lot of stress in terms of rents, packing up and down every once in a while, etc while a car depreciates in value the moment you drive it out of the sales garage, not to talk of all the mechanical wahala.

1 Like

Re: A House Or A Car.......which Should I Buy First?? by Nbote(m): 4:51pm On Sep 06, 2017
Bros u need to get ur priorities right.. Do u want to ansa big man in another man's house or b chilling in urs where atleast, whether u trek or not u are sure there's somewhere u can always call home.. Do u need d car becos it's going to actually alleviate ur transportation issues or U jus need d car to elevate ur social status?
Re: A House Or A Car.......which Should I Buy First?? by ITbomb(m): 5:08pm On Sep 06, 2017
Depends on what you do.
If you are a government worker and almost stationary ie working in a secretariat, they go for land but for me a car will help me get more money for land so I will go for car first
Re: A House Or A Car.......which Should I Buy First?? by Lovetinz(m): 5:16pm On Sep 06, 2017
I bought both at the same time 7years ago.
The car is now worth less than half what I paid for it.
The house is worth about 3times what I paid for it.
I hope you get my drift.
Re: A House Or A Car.......which Should I Buy First?? by Nutase: 5:29pm On Sep 06, 2017
If you have the money to buy or build a house outrightly go for it first. Otherwise you can buy land then a car then take your time to build without putting yourself under unnecessary pressure.

Reason is simple,building is capital intensive and depending on your income it might take you years to finish it and this will render you penniless for that period of time. Your family might need the car for convenience depending how big your family is.

People will always tell you to go for house first but the truth is that he who has not built a house from salary doesn't know what it entails.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: A House Or A Car.......which Should I Buy First?? by silkytouch(m): 6:32pm On Sep 06, 2017
Nutase:
If you have the money to buy or build a house outrightly go for it first. Otherwise you can buy land then a car then take your time to build without putting yourself under unnecessary pressure.

Reason is simple,building is capital intensive and depending on your income it might take you years to finish it and this will render you penniless for that period of time. Your family might need the car for convenience depending how big your family is.

People will always tell you to go for house first but the truth is that he who has not built a house from salary doesn't know what it entails.

You get sense jare!
OP listen to this babe, she speaks some very nice stuff.

1 Like

Re: A House Or A Car.......which Should I Buy First?? by nuelyoyo(m): 3:32am On Sep 08, 2017
Please op, get urself involved in house issue only if u have enough money to completely build it or buy one. As per the car, it depends on what u do that brings income for you, forget what pple say about cars being a liability, there are cases where cars are an asset that brings more money. If your money can accommodate a land and a car, then I will advice u do that for now, while you plan how u build the house over time.
Re: A House Or A Car.......which Should I Buy First?? by Nobody: 7:22am On Sep 08, 2017
Opeomoope:
As a married man am totally confused on which should come first. A house or a car...which should i buy first?
Buy a house. Paying landlord when you can afford one is wasting of money.
Re: A House Or A Car.......which Should I Buy First?? by Acidosis(m): 8:15am On Sep 08, 2017
Nobody can provide the right answers to your question

Truth is you actually may not NEED any, at least, for now.

Why don't you invest further?

Let's assume you pay rent of N300,000/annum. What type of house do you want to build/buy? A N10,000,000 bungalow? How much do you have? Same N10,000,000?

Don't try it! Your N10,000,000 investment on mutual funds, Federal Govt bonds, TBills and the rest will give you an annual interest of (at least) N1,500,000.

N1,500,000-N300,000 (rent) = N1,200,000.
Meaning your N10m savings can help you pay your rent for as long as possible without removing a kobo from your salary or the N10m itself, and you'd still be left with N1,200,000 (free money) to do whatever you want.

You can even use that N1,200,000 along with a new savings plan to start your building project, get a car sometime soon. Mind you, your N10m is still very much intact.

The rule is, do not use all your savings on a luxury (car or house), unless you expect instant returns. It is true that buildings appreciate but how many people build a personal house for the purpose of making profits? This is a country where people cherish inheritance over everything else. Like a taboo, no family wants to sell their personal house in Nigeria even if they're dying of hunger. Those who eventually consider such don't do it until after 40 years or more (when the owner must have departed this earth).

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A House Or A Car.......which Should I Buy First?? by NL1960: 1:02pm On Sep 08, 2017
Acidosis:
Nobody can provide the right answers to your question

Truth is you actually may not NEED any, at least, for now.

Why don't you invest further?

Let's assume you pay rent of N300,000/annum. What type of house do you want to build/buy? A N10,000,000 bungalow? How much do you have? Same N10,000,000?

Don't try it! Your N10,000,000 investment on mutual funds, Federal Govt bonds, TBills and the rest will give you an annual interest of (at least) N1,500,000.

N1,500,000-N300,000 (rent) = N1,200,000.
Meaning your N10m savings can help you pay your rent for as long as possible without removing a kobo from your salary or the N10m itself, and you'd still be left with N1,200,000 (free money) to do whatever you want.

You can even use that N1,200,000 along with a new savings plan to start your building project, get a car sometime soon. Mind you, your N10m is still very much intact.

The rule is, do not use all your savings on a luxury (car or house), unless you expect instant returns. It is true that buildings appreciate but how many people build a personal house for the purpose of making profits? This is a country where people cherish inheritance over everything else. Like a taboo, no family wants to sell their personal house in Nigeria even if they're dying of hunger. Those who eventually consider such don't do it until after 40 years or more (when the owner must have departed this earth).

You nailed it.

This is what i keep telling people but we are still fixated on this house of a thing. Most people still have the notion that building one's house even in a remote location is the best investment in life. I consider it as tying down capital that could otherwise would have been used for investment. Most people are still fixated on this 'na tenant i wan be for life'.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Who Takes Over The Schooling Responsibilities When A Lady Student Gets Married? / 10 Commandments Of Marriage / Child For Adoption

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.