Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,827 members, 7,810,178 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:34 PM

Which Is Best? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Which Is Best? (1086 Views)

Which Programming Language Is Best For Building An Hospital Management Software / Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With / Which Ide Is Best For Developing Asp.net Applications (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Is Best? by feeqtee(m): 4:32pm On Feb 14, 2007
Pls i'm searching for an answer to this problem. Which version of sun microsystem application server works best? Or who has used an app server that has serviced client requests without hitch?
Re: Which Is Best? by sbucareer(f): 5:54pm On Feb 14, 2007

I would assume that you are trying the PE (Personal Edition), RI (Reference Implementation) of the J2EE 8.0/9.0 version. Please remember that these versions are for educational or testing purpose. You would require a license to run a full copy with all the necessary patches and support provided for you.

If you read the license acceptance when installing the either RI, PE it wittingly said for educational purpose. You would be committing offense if you deploy your appserv as a request/response server. If request and response reaches a level within the application, it will send email notification to sun with your URL, IP address etc, they would send a response message to the server to shutdown request/response unless you have a valid license.

Moreover, if your company wants to deploy Java application server and you can influence their purchase and decisions, go for JEE 5.0 with J2SDK 6.0 on a Sun Solaris OS.

Finally, for personal use download Java EE 5 and EJB 3.0 FJ-310. Remember that this version is the revision of J2EE 1.x, which means you will spend some time learning EJB 3.0. If you are interested in XML and writing your persistent then go for J2EE 1.x that comes with EJB 2.0 with J2SDK 1.4.X

Note
------------------
Personally, I have problems with the J2EE 5.0 running with Netbeans as a bundle. When I run the beans, Jar, war or Ear I get this unresolvable problems. I have contacted Sun and they have not yet return back to me.

The J2EE 1.4.x are the best particularly the PE 8.1. The job is that you would have to learn XML and single handedly write all the EJB bean and their wiring using XML. But the appserv is bug free unlike JEE 5.0. The RI still have some bugs when you try to write web services and Java mesages and managing the database connection pool.

I would recommend to go for JEE 5.0 as this is where everyone is at the moment. How I solved my problem was to avoid creating EAR (Enterprise Archive). Instead I create each components and write an modify the automatic provided ant script to produce EAR for me and deploy it.

I think the problem is in the ant script, so have a good look into the ant script anytime you run into compilation error or deployment error.
Re: Which Is Best? by Fdeveloper(m): 8:29pm On Feb 14, 2007
As always sbucareer makes some very good points!

I appreciate that your question was specifically about Sun however as an alternative, you may want to consider JBoss (http://www.jboss.org) which is open source and hence avoids any licensing issues. I have deployed solutions in JBoss running standalone and in a cluster which have supported systems handling thousands of transactions per minute without problems. JBoss is very popular with a large installed user base and as a consequence has a large number of very active support forums.
Re: Which Is Best? by sbucareer(f): 10:22am On Feb 15, 2007

Fdeveloper is very right. J2EE/JEE 5 are just specification developed by Sun Microsystems. Anyone including you can use the specification to build your own appserv like the way JBoss has done.

The problem with JBoss and other open source software is documentation and configurations. This is where the people that develope it make their money by employing the developers or someone that has gone in for the training to configure it for you and help with any issue relating to the system.

If you like daring and technical whiz kid you can have a look at JBoss. Although the lastest versions are helpful but when you start looking into connecting your database as a global reference i.e. JNDI for lookups within your application and JMS, Web services etc, you would need to seriously read those documentations to get you started.

Just learning to write EJB and web component is not enough in today's J2EE role. You MUST be able to write web services, JMS, JNDI, proxy services and cache management using J2EE API
Re: Which Is Best? by feeqtee(m): 2:24pm On Feb 17, 2007
thanks a lot sbucareer,Fdeveloper. I'll try ur suggestions out and whatever the outcome i'll sure let u guys know.

(1) (Reply)

Linking Php With Microsoft Sql Server / Help : Help / Wanting To Learn Assembly Language Programming.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.