Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,495 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:10 PM

Very Sad Event At Seaworld - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Very Sad Event At Seaworld (2590 Views)

Seaworld To End Orca Program / A Very Sad Letter Found In The Pocket Of A Drowned Syrian. / View Very Sad Pictures From The Sandy Hook Killing Of 28 Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Very Sad Event At Seaworld by Nobody: 4:51am On Feb 26, 2010
lord have mercy.

I've been looking up youtube all day.

I always thought killer whales werent that dangerous to humans though of course its rather debatable.
Re: Very Sad Event At Seaworld by Nobody: 7:55am On Feb 26, 2010
did you find a video of the actual attack?! i have been searching but couldnt find any so pls paste the link.

what did they expect from an animal that had already killed 2 trainers at 2 different earlier attacks. stoooooopid!!!!!
Re: Very Sad Event At Seaworld by ElRazur: 1:40pm On Feb 26, 2010
Anyone who swims with an animal that weighs 5 tons, know to be a natural predator and goes by the name KILLER whale do not have any sympathy from me. Besides, this animal have been linked with several death in the past. What a mumu.

Anyone interested can watch a video of how a Killer whale ripped apart a Great white shark [an animal considered a top predator too]. So you get an idea of what this Killer whale can do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS6NjdGLVZs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8GaDuCvYbE

Good luck to anyone swimming with them.
Re: Very Sad Event At Seaworld by ElRazur: 1:41pm On Feb 26, 2010
tpia.:

lord have mercy.

I've been looking up youtube all day.

I always thought killer whales werent that dangerous to humans though of course its rather debatable.

Are you kidding me? Dolphins are the "friendly" ones, not Killer whales. Here, a clue lies in the name. . . KILLER whale. lol.
Re: Very Sad Event At Seaworld by Nobody: 2:08pm On Feb 26, 2010
MRbrownJAY:

did you find a video of the actual attack?! i have been searching but couldnt find any so pls paste the link.

what did they expect from an animal that had already killed 2 trainers at 2 different earlier attacks. stoooooopid!!!!!

I havent seen the video of this particular attack, but there are videos of other attacks on youtube.
Re: Very Sad Event At Seaworld by Nobody: 2:12pm On Feb 26, 2010
ElRazur:

Are you kidding me? Dolphins are the "friendly" ones, not Killer whales. Here, a clue lies in the name. . . KILLER whale. lol.

well, despite the name, people always insist they're not dangerous to humans when in the wild

gosh- i saw a couple of them some time ago and these creatures are just so beautiful. Not an experience you forget in a hurry.
Re: Very Sad Event At Seaworld by ElRazur: 2:18pm On Feb 26, 2010
tpia.:

well, despite the name, people always insist they're not dangerous to humans when in the wild

gosh- i saw a couple of them some time ago and these creatures are just so beautiful. Not an experience you forget in a hurry.

You may have a point. But no way I will swim with an animal that is an apex predator - i.e nothing in the ocean can cross its path. That is like saying a lion is not dangerous to human. lol.

Yes they are beautiful and majestic -especially, when they do that tail flip. But then, a boa constrictor is beautiful, a lion is graceful to watch but heck they will kill us if given the chance lol.

PS
Where did you see one?
Re: Very Sad Event At Seaworld by Olisa4all: 2:42pm On Feb 26, 2010
Saw it on larry king. .dey sed dat particular killer whale hd killed b4,dunno y dey stil hd faith it wudnt kill again. .it didnt tear d lady2pieces,it drowned her,wat a horrible way2die,may her soul rest in peace. .
Re: Very Sad Event At Seaworld by Nobody: 6:24pm On Feb 26, 2010
ElRazur:

You may have a point. But no way I will swim with an animal that is an apex predator - i.e nothing in the ocean can cross its path. That is like saying a lion is not dangerous to human. lol.

Yes they are beautiful and majestic -especially, when they do that tail flip. But then, a boa constrictor is beautiful, a lion is graceful to watch but heck they will kill us if given the chance lol.

PS
Where did you see one?

sea world

it was lovely
Re: Very Sad Event At Seaworld by samuel4luv(m): 6:27pm On Feb 26, 2010
hi can we talk
Re: Very Sad Event At Seaworld by Nobody: 6:36pm On Feb 26, 2010
@elrazur
thanks for the link.
yeah these animals are killing machines and people still wanna treat them as pets etc.

like Chris Rock once said:" when the tiger attacked  during the Siegfred and Roy show in Las Vegas, people said that the tiger went crazy. NO, the TIGER WENT TIGER. its his natural instinct to kill. when the tiger was riding a bicycle thats when the tiger was crazy!

as much cute as they can be they are still wild killing machine that people think they can control. killer whales, sharks, lion , tigers etc etc etc

to me i will never try to put myself in any of such situation, like going on bloody safaris,swimming with sharks etc. wild animals do wild things especially when people think its safe to do it

check that amazing video:
[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyrhWEsCjss&hl=en_US&fs=1&"[/flash]

see elephants running for dear life!
Re: Very Sad Event At Seaworld by Nobody: 8:41pm On Feb 26, 2010
^^

shocked shocked

jesu kristi

a wild animal will always be a wild animal sha. But I really did think the killer whales were different.
Re: Very Sad Event At Seaworld by ElRazur: 9:40pm On Feb 26, 2010
Lol. Why are the KILLER whale different? They come from the wild. . . .untamed, vicious and wild.
Re: Very Sad Event At Seaworld by Nobody: 10:01pm On Feb 26, 2010
the crazy part is that even animals born in captivity, they still retain there wild instincts.
thats why there are so many animals in zoos that turn against their trainers.
elephants going on rampage in circus, chimp that was living with human for 20+yrs suddenly going on rampage,
bears going on rampage.

it was funny when a few yrs ago all the world was saying how cut that Knut bear was in Germany forgetting that this was a wild animal. yeah cut but dont put your hand too close or he will get you.

i will always remember Steve Irwin for the conservation work he did but also to remind everyone that even the best out there aint safe with wild animals. he wrestle with crocs, handle all types of wild animals and died from a "stingray" WTF!!!!!
they are untamable. . . . . . . .

check this killer whale attack on human:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jSSb3Xe0-s
Re: Very Sad Event At Seaworld by 4Play(m): 10:55pm On Feb 26, 2010
I always steer clear of any large animals with the prefix, ''killer''.
Re: Very Sad Event At Seaworld by Olisa4all: 12:00am On Feb 27, 2010
MRbrownJAY:

the crazy part is that even animals born in captivity, they still retain there wild instincts.
thats why there are so many animals in zoos that turn against their trainers.
elephants going on rampage in circus, chimp that was living with human for 20+yrs suddenly going on rampage,
bears going on rampage.

it was funny when a few yrs ago all the world was saying how cut that Knut bear was in Germany forgetting that this was a wild animal. yeah cut but dont put your hand too close or he will get you.

i will always remember Steve Irwin for the conservation work he did but also to remind everyone that even the best out there aint safe with wild animals. he wrestle with crocs, handle all types of wild animals and died from a "stingray" WTF!!!!!
they are untamable. . . . . . . .

check this killer whale attack on human:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jSSb3Xe0-s

Imagine my mum cried wen she hrd steve irwin died,in my book,he shd've died a long time ago,either 4rm d jaws of a croc or a snake bite. .but a sting ray's barb in d chest,i cant even imagine hw painful it wud've been. .it only overly emphasises d fact dat wild animals r dangerous. .but hey dey make loads of money 4rm it. . .not4gettin d fact dat we love watchin em. .
Re: Very Sad Event At Seaworld by Nobody: 7:31pm On Feb 27, 2010
Lighthearted @shamu Twitter feed disbanded

A day after a SeaWorld trainer died from being dragged underwater by a killer whale, the park has stopped posts on its lighthearted @shamu Twitter account.

Shamu is the famous name under which SeaWorld Orando’s trained killer whales perform in popular shows, doing tricks for audiences at the Florida park.

Dawn Brancheau, 40, had just finished a training session Wednesday when Tillikum, a 12,000-pound whale, grabbed her ponytail and dragged her into a 35-foot tank.

“At this difficult time, @Shamu will not be active. For Twitter updates follow @SeaWorld_Parks. http:///b0oU3l” – read a post tweeted Thursday afternoon.

A post on Sea World’s blog said followers had been asking about the account’s silence since the accident.

“At this difficult time, @Shamu will not be active on Twitter, as users who follow @Shamu have come to expect posts that are light-hearted and perhaps a bit quirky,” the blog said. “SeaWorld’s other accounts, including @SeaWorld_Parks, will remain active and regular updates will be communicated through Twitter and other social networking platforms.”

The account, created about a year ago, had more than 9,900 followers as of Thursday afternoon.

Whale shows at the park also were canceled on Thursday.

http://scitech.blogs.cnn.com/2010/02/25/lighthearted-shamu-twitter-feed-disbanded/?hpt=Mid
Re: Very Sad Event At Seaworld by tpiah: 9:57pm On Feb 27, 2010
Emotional orca show marks 1st since trainer killed

ORLANDO, Fla. – Employees wept and audience members grew silent Saturday at SeaWorld as the theme park's popular killer whale show resumed with a photo montage memorial for a trainer who was killed by one of the orcas in front of horrified spectators three days ago.

More than 2,000 people packed the park's stadium Saturday for the first show since Brancheau's death.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100227/ap_on_re_us/us_seaworld_death
Re: Very Sad Event At Seaworld by MandingoII(m): 12:52am On Feb 28, 2010
see deserved it.

it was after all a KILLER WHALE

duh!

That's what they do, kill

whitefolks et.al. need to stop playing with wild animals.
Re: Very Sad Event At Seaworld by tpiah: 1:28am On Feb 28, 2010
can we get our facts straight.

yes, its a wild animal but there are few reports of killer whales killing humans in the wild.

The term "killer" is more of a reference to their feeding habits, imo. They're efficient hunters of other sea animals, not humans.

However, being raised in captivity might make them more dangerous to people, agreed.
Re: Very Sad Event At Seaworld by kyuubi: 6:53am On Feb 28, 2010
Killer whales are quite intelligent that it would be difficult to ascertain if it was truly an accident, or the seizing of an opportune moment to carryout a premeditated act.
Re: Very Sad Event At Seaworld by Olisa4all: 8:09am On Feb 28, 2010
^^^
Premeditated??
Re: Very Sad Event At Seaworld by ElRazur: 11:05am On Feb 28, 2010
Lol @Tpia. Look at this killer whale apologist lol. So you think the term Killer do not apply to human and how the whales may perceive human as another prey? lmao.
Re: Very Sad Event At Seaworld by biina: 5:19pm On Feb 28, 2010
ElRazur:

Lol @Tpia. Look at this killer whale apologist lol. So you think the term Killer do not apply to human and how the whales may perceive human as another prey? lmao.
They didnt get the tag 'killer' from killing humans.
Re: Very Sad Event At Seaworld by ElRazur: 6:17pm On Feb 28, 2010
biina:

They didnt get the tag 'killer' from killing humans.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I have stated that whether they get it from humans or not, it do not change the fact that they are killers. Jeez. You know, an Apex predator will kill anything if necessary.
Re: Very Sad Event At Seaworld by biina: 6:54pm On Feb 28, 2010
ElRazur:

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I have stated that whether they get it from humans or not, it do not change the fact that they are killers. Jeez. You know, an Apex predator will kill anything if necessary.
You use the word 'killer' as if it implies human killers i.e. they feed on humans. Nobody is disputing their ability to kill, but you make it sound like if given an opportunity, they would feed on humans. Orcas are dolphins not whales, and the term 'killer whale' came from 'whale killers' as they feed on whales. I havent heard any account of them preying on humans.

Your argument of being an apex predator is wrong, as the classification depends on other factors like habitat and defensive abilities. The electric catfish is also classified as an apex predator. Does that make them human killers too?
Re: Very Sad Event At Seaworld by ElRazur: 7:53pm On Feb 28, 2010
biina:

You use the word 'killer' as if it implies human killers i.e. they feed on humans. Nobody is disputing their ability to kill, but you make it sound like if given an opportunity, they would feed on humans. Orcas are dolphins not whales, and the term 'killer whale' came from 'whale killers' as they feed on whales. I havent heard any account of them preying on humans.

Your argument of being an apex predator is wrong, as the classification depends on other factors like habitat and defensive abilities. The electric catfish is also classified as an apex predator. Does that make them human killers too?

You seem not to understand my view point and it sucks that you aren't really adding anything we do not know already here.

It is your problem you think that I am implying it as such, not mine.

Again let me make my point again. It is a top natural predator and as such will attack humans if necessary - this was evident in the incident itself.  To rule out the possibility of it attacking a human is just silly.

There is nothing new you are saying here that Tpia hasn'r already mentioned. In the context I am using an Apex predator is that this 5 ton killer have nothing to worry about if and when it decides to attack a human.

If you are not disputing their ability to kill, what is your problem? Bored tonight? So you suggested they won't attack humans yet the very reason this thread was opened was because one actually attacked a human and the same one have been linked to a few human death in the past. Seriously, what is your point?

For crying out loud, how can my argument be flawed when the main focus here is an Orca who so happened to be an Apex predator. No? Seriously, I think my post give you a [i]stiffy [/i]sometimes.
Re: Very Sad Event At Seaworld by biina: 8:33pm On Feb 28, 2010
ElRazur:

You seem not to understand my view point and it sucks that you aren't really adding anything we do not know already here.

It is your problem you think that I am implying it as such, not mine.

Again let me make my point again. It is a top natural predator and as such will attack humans if necessary - this was evident in the incident itself.  To rule out the possibility of it attacking a human is just silly.

There is nothing new you are saying here that Tpia hasn'r already mentioned. In the context I am using an Apex predator is that this 5 ton killer have nothing to worry about if and when it decides to attack a human.

If you are not disputing their ability to kill, what is your problem? Bored tonight? So you suggested they won't attack humans yet the very reason this thread was opened was because one actually attacked a human and the same one have been linked to a few human death in the past. Seriously, what is your point?

For crying out loud, how can my argument be flawed when the main focus here is an Orca who so happened to be an Apex predator. No?  Seriously, I think my post give you a [i]stiffy [/i]sometimes.
Your argument is flawed because you suggested that they could perceive humans as prey, and try to buttress that position by claiming an apex predator will kill anything if necessary. The ability to kill anything, including humans, if necessary is not a consequence of being an apex predator (a white shark is not an apex predator and wouldn't need much provocation to kill a human, while the catfish is an apex predator and couldnt kill a human even if it wanted to), and I have seen no evidence of Orcas perceiving humans as prey (food). Them being an apex predator is irrelevant and you stop trying to use to justify your position.

As to your claim to the Orca attacking the victim, the Orca drowned the victim and there were no bites. Its presumptuous to say categorically that it attacked (which implies an intent to harm), when it could have felt it was playing with the victim when the unfortunate woman drowned and died. A former head trainer at Seaworld alluded that the Orca might have been intrigued by the woman's ponytail which had seem to draw its attention, and by which it pulled the woman into the pool. The victim wasn't swimming with the Orca, it pulled her in to the pool. The ex-head trainer said the swinging ponytail was likely a violation of protocol.

The two previous deaths involving tilikum were different:
- in the first, a trainer accidentally fell into a pool with tilikum and two other female orcas. The orcas grabbed her in their mouth and tossed her to each other as if playing with a ball and the lady consequently drowned. This was an accident as they never have humans in their pool and were simply tossing the lady like a toy not trying to rip her to pieces.
- in the second, an intruder got into his pool, and tilikum most likely saw him as a threat and killed him. Nobody know what happened and the intruder might have threatened the Orca in which case it simply defended itself.

Do not make sweeping categorization of orcas as if they are some human predators.

BTW please keep your sexual orientation, fantasies, and/or perversions out of the discussion.
Re: Very Sad Event At Seaworld by ElRazur: 8:53pm On Feb 28, 2010
biina:

Your argument is flawed because you suggested that they could perceive humans as prey, and try to buttress that position by claiming an apex predator will kill anything if necessary. The ability to kill anything, including humans, if necessary is not a consequence of being an apex predator (a white shark is not an apex predator and wouldn't need much provocation to kill a human, while the catfish is an apex predator and couldnt kill a human even if it wanted to), and I have seen no evidence of Orcas perceiving humans as prey (food). Them being an apex predator is irrelevant and you stop trying to use to justify your position.

You really are not getting it. What is to stop it from killing? Nothing.

Again your presentation here is off the mark, this is about an Orca - Get it? An orca.

An apex predator naturally have no biological predator and as such, part of it biological behaviour, it will be exhibiting no fear to any perceived prey. Simple basic biology, but then I guess this is not your strong point. If you have proof other wise that Orca wont and haven't attacked humans pleae provide, oh wait, it attacked one hence why this thread is opened.

As to your claim to the Orca attacking the victim, the Orca drowned the victim and there were no bites. Its presumptuous to say categorically that it attacked (which implies an intent to harm), when it could have felt it was playing with the victim when the unfortunate woman drowned and died. A former head trainer at Seaworld alluded that the Orca might have been intrigued by the woman's ponytail which had seem to draw its attention, and by which it pulled the woman into the pool. The victim wasn't swimming with the Orca, it pulled her in to the pool. The ex-head trainer said the swinging ponytail was likely a violation of protocol.

Yawn. Are you seriously kidding me? If drowning is not "attacking" here then what it is? To further highlight you flaw you used the word "victim" What a joke. Please know when not to prolong matters. Here,see definition here: Taken from http://www.google.co.uk/dictionary?aq=f&langpair=en|en&hl=en&q=victim

Since when did you become an expert on Orca, that you are giving a view on what an orca may feel or may not feel. As for pulling her or swimming with her, it is irrelevant at this point. The fact is she is dead as a result of the action of an Orca - An apex predator.

Do not make sweeping categorization of orcas as if they are some human predators.

Orca are killers, I stand by my point on the basis of what we know about them and on the basis of the incident here.

BTW please keep your sexual orientation, fantasies, and/or perversions out of the discussion.

grin Get off me then. I wasn't keen on exchanging ideas with you intellectually tonight, but no you gotta bring out the ElRazur in me. Now it won't go away. Hope you are happy now. grin
Re: Very Sad Event At Seaworld by ElRazur: 9:18pm On Feb 28, 2010
This is why I am not keen on engaging tonight. Check out the link and get critical please - unless offcourse you do not know how to offer YOUR opinion. grin

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-405669.0.html
Re: Very Sad Event At Seaworld by Nobody: 9:34pm On Feb 28, 2010
@post
i think that people forget a few facts on this issue. . . . . . . . .
first compare to other animal, i have yet to see human going to swim with wild killer whales so we definitely have no bases to weigh their killing instinct towards human.

second i think the term "killer" whale wasnt made for humans but doesnt take away their predatory behaviors. if they can feed on seals or even sharks then i am safe to say that if we were swimming openly in the ocean in their environment, we would be part of the menu too.

third any animal can be domesticated, to a certain instincts (havent you seen the pics of africans with Hyenas), but it doesnt take away the fact that they have a born instinct to kill to feed and these animals would eat you in a heart beat if the opportunity came around.
anyone can claim that this was an accident,fair enough but 3rd death from this animal alone means something and only a fool would go back and try to continue play with this now human killer!

there are human living with bears, human living with wolves, humans living with lions etc but if it wasnt for technology like gun powder etc, we would be WAY DOWN on the food chain!
Re: Very Sad Event At Seaworld by ElRazur: 9:43pm On Feb 28, 2010
^^^ Well said. grin

**Off to swim wtih cute looking friendly orcas**

(1) (2) (Reply)

America Now Owes 19 Trillion Dollars In Debt / Is Nigeria A Banana Republic? / Busted: Kiev Mps Try To Fool US Senator With ‘proof’ Of Russian Tanks In Ukraine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.