Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,766 members, 7,824,215 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:05 AM

My Mum Versus Modern Mum - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Mum Versus Modern Mum (810 Views)

I Sat On My Father's Laps, My Mum Walked In And Warned Me / My Married Jobless Elder Brother Is Sucking My Mum Financially. Help! / Wife Introduction: My Mum Insists On Pregnancy First (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Mum Versus Modern Mum by Nobody: 8:59am On Sep 12, 2017
My mother used to communicate with eyes while I was growing up...
When visitors are in the house and I am jumping up and down, there is an eye sign which means ​"get out"​

When visitors are eating and you want to eat with them, there is this particular look which means ​"if you collect anything here I will skin you alive"​ but meanwhile she will be telling the visitors "don't mind him, he won't eat or he has eaten.."

When you pay a visit to any family member and you want to cry over what is not yours, there is this look which means ​"if I hear pim from you again, I will flog you die"​

When the Man finally comes home to seek your hand in marriage, she will give you the eye of 'you carry eye go market joor'.

But today's mother... I mean our young mummies today ehhh...
Their eyes are already weakened with mascara, eye lashes and heavy-duty facelifts and make-ups from Mary Kay to Jenifer Lopez to Angelina Jolie. In short, the eyes can't communicate again... when they are looking at a child, the child will be looking back at them because that child is seeing them as either a magician or masquerade or even doll baby, which they are used to.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Mum Versus Modern Mum by specialguest(f): 9:17am On Sep 12, 2017
Hahaha the magician part got me laughing really hard. I wonder where our mothers learnt those eyeing skills from.
My mum used to have those set of looks too that would pierce right through your heart and you find yourself wondering if the ground should just open and swallow you up. (God bless her Soul)
I have tried it several times with my two year old daughter when she is being naughty, instead of fear ehn, the thing is doing the opposite because she would look at me and start laughing or other times imitate what I am doing. Not like I wear any serious make up though lolz.
Op thankx for making me remember those good old days.

6 Likes

Re: My Mum Versus Modern Mum by 2SWT(f): 9:19am On Sep 12, 2017
Madam please don't generalise it

1 Like

Re: My Mum Versus Modern Mum by Nobody: 9:24am On Sep 12, 2017
specialguest:
Hahaha the magician part got me laughing really hard. I wonder where our mothers learnt those eyeing skills from.
My mum used to have those set of looks too that would pierce right through your heart and you find yourself wondering if the ground should just open and swallow you up. (God bless her Soul)
I have tried it several times with my two year old daughter when she is being naughty, instead of fear ehn, the thing is doing the opposite because she would look at me and start laughing or other times imitate what I am doing. Not like I wear any serious make up though lolz.
Op thankx for making me remember those good old days.
You are welcome
Re: My Mum Versus Modern Mum by Nobody: 9:25am On Sep 12, 2017
2SWT:
Madam please don't generalise it
Generalize what?
Re: My Mum Versus Modern Mum by LordReed(m): 1:35pm On Oct 11, 2017
Today's children are born into a world where everything is communicated in big flashy light even subtlety is broadcast on a big screen so there is no need for surreptitious communication between parents and children.You can choose to see this as a positive change and move with times or see it as negative and attempt to live in the past.

(1) (Reply)

After 15 Years,i Discovered My Husband Has Another Wife In Another City / Skywhite Drycleaners, Laundry And Cleaning Services / Cousin Sister Dead, Hours After Deportation From Libya

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.